Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Inviting community nominations for the Knowledge Equity Fund’s next round
Hi all,

Today, we are opening nominations
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSctHahuVnJQQNG2eo_3F7aB1Z2jQi1JxhNMRuzPCWLU4dJSig/viewform>
for the next round of grants from the Knowledge Equity Fund.

The Knowledge Equity Fund was launched by the Wikimedia Foundation two
years ago as a pilot program to advance knowledge equity, one of the two
pillars of the movement strategy, through a focus on racial inequities in
free knowledge.

Since our launch, the Knowledge Equity Fund has gone through several
iterations. Over the past several months, the Knowledge Equity Fund
Committee has solicited feedback from Wikimedia communities on our approach
to supporting knowledge equity. We hosted an open community call
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Equity_Fund/Commmunication#Notes_from_Community_Calls>
on October 6 to share more about our approach and discuss ideas for future
knowledge equity grants. Through this conversation and onwiki comments, we
heard consistent feedback
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Equity_Fund/Commmunication#Follow-up_from_Knowledge_Equity_Fund_community_call>
about the need to connect grantees and their work more closely with the
Wikimedia projects. These suggestions have focused on increased
communication and visibility into the work of the Knowledge Equity Fund and
grantees; developing stronger connections between grantees and movement
groups in order to drive direct impact to the Wikimedia projects, which
will in turn benefit our larger mission of free knowledge; and clarifying
the impact of Knowledge Equity Fund grantees.

These are important suggestions that we as a Committee are taking on as we
launch the next round. We’ve just shared a Diff post
<https://diff.wikimedia.org/2024/01/17/we-need-your-nominations-for-knowledge-equity-fund-grantees/>
with details on the changes that we’re making moving forward, including a
new Connected Grants pilot that will be available to movement groups to
support existing partnerships with external organizations.

We will also be hosting two community calls to answer questions and hear
suggestions for nominations for Round 3:

-

January 22, 11 am UTC
-

January 26, 3 pm UTC

If you are interested in attending these calls, please email
equityfund@wikimedia.org and we will share information to join. We welcome
your nominations for organizations for Round 3! Nominations will be open
through the end of February.

--
*Nadee Gunasena*
Chief of Staff