Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
What you prove is that we maintain a static artifact that does improve with
time. What you prove with your reply is that you do not care for the
mission, for the quality of Wikipedia but only care to maintain a status
quo that is no longer good enough.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 02:07, Tito Dutta <trulytito@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... ...
> FAQ 2.6: "... findings of the 2030 research and planning community review
> [link to email],...."
> -- Perhaps a "link to email" is missing? If it so, it's a minor thing of
> course and can be fixed.

-- While revisiting the page I saw the changes have been made. Perhaps a
response to the email could have been better, anyway, thanks for making
changes on the FAQ

Comment in personal capacity, thanks
User:Titodutta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? [ In reply to ]
As a former, active admin on Meta (but not a current one), I'd like to make
a few points. I have also not been heavily involved in this rebranding
project, though I should disclose that I've taken a position against it.

1. A page such as this one can play one or both of two roles: (a) a FAQ
about the aims and philosophy of the WMF's rebranding project, and (b) a
FAQ about the general concept of rebranding, and the community's views on
the matter.

2. It seems reasonable to me that WMF staff have authority over (a), but
certainly not over (b).

3. WMF staff could also, if they so choose, use the Wikimedia "governance
wiki" (wiki.wikimediafoundation.org) to host (a); so the choice to post it
on Meta Wiki itself might be questioned.

4. In an ideal world, community views on as important a topic as rebranding
would be clearly synthesized into a document like a FAQ first, to a point
where people advocating for various positions could agree that the basic
information presented is accurate. (This is more or less the consensus
process we use on Wikipedia and other projects.) Once that is done, it
would be a fairly trivial matter for WMF to construct a FAQ, echoing or
even incorporating the language already agreed to, that would both express
its own objectives and views, and also honor opposing views.

5. These points, in my view, all point to the position expressed in recent
days and weeks by many community members, i.e., that this process has been
conducted in a way that is either too fast, or too poorly structured, or
both, to establish a solid (excuse the word) foundation for a good decision.

As a short comment on this disagreement, though, I think WMF staff has two
simple options: (a) Move the FAQ to a site clearly under its own control,
like the "Governance Wiki," or (b) permit the Meta Wiki community to assess
the neutrality of the page. Neither option seems like a particularly bad
one to me, so I'm a little surprised to see this spilling over onto the
mailing list.

-Pete
--
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? [ In reply to ]
My apologies for the error, the "Governance Wiki" URL is:

foundation.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? [ In reply to ]
Greetings,
There was a continuous practice of citing/overciting the FAQ page,
sometimes without answering the questions directly. This happened more on
the other mailing lists (For example:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2020-April/014589.html
)

Now, the /FAQ page, which was being continuously referred to, has a
"neutrality of this page is disputed" tag
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/FAQ&oldid=20200949.
It earlier had an essay tag. I have read its talk page.

Until things are settled, which page is recommended (if there is any)?

(Not to anyone in specific, a question/thought in general)

Regards,
User:Titodutta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Brand Project: Who are we as a movement? [ In reply to ]
Hi Tito,