CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo
I jsut saw a television commercial on the SciFi where CISCO shows a 3
second spot with a laptop computer using Wikipedia.
The commercial aired at 7:33 p.m. Mountain Standard Time. There were
no screen shots of Windows or any other computer
software on the commercial apart from Wikipedia's logo. The laptop
appeared to be a MAC but I am not certain.

Jeff
Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
Yup, Danny Wool negotiated with Cisco to use Wikipedia in the commercial.

If I remember Danny correctly, he said he got the Foundation a nice sum of
moolah for it.

Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
To be a little more exact, the ad agency contacted us about using the logo
for the ad. We all discussed it in the office, and agreed that there should be
some compensation. I asked, and they agreed. Nothing too spectacular.

Danny

In a message dated 11/25/2006 9:48:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,

Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
daniwo59@aol.com wrote:

>To be a little more exact, the ad agency contacted us about using the logo
>for the ad. We all discussed it in the office, and agreed that there should be
>some compensation. I asked, and they agreed. Nothing too spectacular.
>
>Danny

This has been a test of the emergency wikipedia logo electronic
transmission usage and detection subsystem, powered by MediaWiki 1.8.2 and
Merkey's eyeballs. This has only been a test.

:-)

Jeff

Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup, Danny Wool negotiated with Cisco to use Wikipedia in the commercial.
>
> If I remember Danny correctly, he said he got the Foundation a nice sum of
> moolah for it.

If you look for "the human network" at youtube, you will find a
low-res version of that ad.

Mathias
Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/06, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you look for "the human network" at youtube, you will find a
> low-res version of that ad.

It's also playing on the home page of Cisco's Human Network Wiki at
http://humannetwork.wikia.com/

Angela.
Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
Could you message this list in the future to tell us what has been
decided in terms of this kind of thing? It was the right decision,
IMO, but it would be good to have the transparency and community
involvement.

Oldak Quill (oldakquill@gmail.com)
Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you message this list in the future to tell us what has been
> decided in terms of this kind of thing? It was the right decision,
> IMO, but it would be good to have the transparency and community
> involvement.

Decisions would been needed at a reasonable rate and trademarks and
foundation held copyrights really are board issues.

--
geni
Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/06, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Could you message this list in the future to tell us what has been
> > decided in terms of this kind of thing? It was the right decision,
> > IMO, but it would be good to have the transparency and community
> > involvement.
> >

> Decisions would been needed at a reasonable rate and trademarks and
> foundation held copyrights really are board issues.

Who said anything about the community deciding? Oldak just said (and I
agree) that it'd be good to let the community know.

-- Jake Nelson
Re: CISCO TV Commericals using Wikipedia Logo [ In reply to ]
On 26/11/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you message this list in the future to tell us what has been
> decided in terms of this kind of thing? It was the right decision,
> IMO, but it would be good to have the transparency and community
> involvement.

FWIW, I heard some time back. The problem isn't that we don't have
transparency and community involvement, it's just that it seems we
have three thousand ways of going about it...

--
- Andrew Gray
andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk