Communications Decency Act section 230. The Court came down strongly in
favor of internet freedom and immunity from liability for those within
the protection of Section 230. This has significant implications for
"distributor" and "user" theories of liability/immunity. Overall, this
decision is very good for Wikimedia Foundation projects, and our users.

I encourage anyone interested to see the opinion at
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S122953.PDF.

-Brad
Re: A great ruling for the community [ In reply to ]
Brad Patrick wrote:

>The California Supreme Court issued its ruling yesterday in the Barrett
>v. Rosenthal case, one of the most closely watched cases involving the
>Communications Decency Act section 230. The Court came down strongly in
>favor of internet freedom and immunity from liability for those within
>the protection of Section 230. This has significant implications for
>"distributor" and "user" theories of liability/immunity. Overall, this
>decision is very good for Wikimedia Foundation projects, and our users.
>
>I encourage anyone interested to see the opinion at
>http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S122953.PDF.
>

>-Brad

No help in Federal Court though, where most interstate litigations
occur, just California, and their long arm
statutes are very restrictive. In a state that already has SLAPP
precedents, seems a natural next step for their
supreme court. The dormant commerce clause will undoubtably govern those
cases however for CDA 230.

Jeff
Re: A great ruling for the community [ In reply to ]
Not surprised, really, I've heard California's really cool with the
Internet.