Mailing List Archive

wikimedia blocked again in China
wikimedia blocked again in China. see Andrew report:
http://www.andrewlih.com/blog/2006/11/16/wikipedia-inaccessible-for-many-in-china-for-now/

my guess(Chinese): http://talk.blogbus.com/logs/2006/11/3847006.html

from Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Jiang Yu's Regular Press Conference
on November 16 2006 :
http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/xwfw/s2510/2511/t280600.htm

"Q: Second question, the Chinese version of Wikipedia, which has been
censored since last October, has been unblocked last week. What's your
comment?

A: I'm not aware of the information on the website you mentioned. The
Chinese Government supports and promotes the development of the
internet. By 2005, China's internet subscribers reached over 123
million, and the number of Chinese websites 788 thousand. China has
become the second largest internet user of the world. China
administrates internet in accordance with law. This is also the usual
practice by all the countries in the world. "

--
Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://talk.blogbus.com

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]
Re: wikimedia blocked again in China [ In reply to ]
shi zhao wrote:
<snip>
> "Q: Second question, the Chinese version of Wikipedia, which has been
> censored since last October, has been unblocked last week. What's your
> comment?
>
> A: I'm not aware of the information on the website you mentioned.

What, they don't know that we exist?

Re: wikimedia blocked again in China [ In reply to ]
On 11/17/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax@gmail.com> wrote:
> shi zhao wrote:
> <snip>
> > "Q: Second question, the Chinese version of Wikipedia, which has been
> > censored since last October, has been unblocked last week. What's your
> > comment?
> >
> > A: I'm not aware of the information on the website you mentioned.
>
> What, they don't know that we exist?

I think he ment "I'm not aware that we unblocked it". That would prove
my theory, that the unblocking was an accident :(.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz Siedlecki
Re: wikimedia blocked again in China [ In reply to ]
2006/11/17, Dariusz Siedlecki <datrio@gmail.com>:
> On 11/17/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax@gmail.com> wrote:
> > shi zhao wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > "Q: Second question, the Chinese version of Wikipedia, which has been
> > > censored since last October, has been unblocked last week. What's your
> > > comment?
> > >
> > > A: I'm not aware of the information on the website you mentioned.
> >
> > What, they don't know that we exist?
>
> I think he ment "I'm not aware that we unblocked it". That would prove
> my theory, that the unblocking was an accident :(.

It's funny that just two days ago, the largest Polish newspaper
"Gazeta Wyborcza" has announced that Wikipedia is unblocked in China:

http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodarka/1,33181,3739338.html

and they have written that it is good example that "hard-talks" w
China goverment may give good results....

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.poli.toya.net.pl
Re: wikimedia blocked again in China [ In reply to ]
On 11/17/06, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/11/17, Dariusz Siedlecki <datrio@gmail.com>:
> > On 11/17/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > shi zhao wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > What, they don't know that we exist?
> >
> > I think he ment "I'm not aware that we unblocked it". That would prove
> > my theory, that the unblocking was an accident :(.
> >

> It's funny that just two days ago, the largest Polish newspaper
> "Gazeta Wyborcza" has announced that Wikipedia is unblocked in China:
>
> http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodarka/1,33181,3739338.html
>
> and they have written that it is good example that "hard-talks" w
> China goverment may give good results....

Sigh.

Yes it's stories like that and from Reporters Sans Frontiers that can
be frustrating - gloating that you can press China to change if you
push hard enough is not exactly a friendly tactic. In fact, it may be
counterproductive.

-Andrew
Re: wikimedia blocked again in China [ In reply to ]
shi zhao wrote:

>from Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Jiang Yu's Regular Press Conference
>on November 16 2006 :
>http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/xwfw/s2510/2511/t280600.htm
>
>"Q: Second question, the Chinese version of Wikipedia, which has been
>censored since last October, has been unblocked last week. What's your
>comment?
>
>A: I'm not aware of the information on the website you mentioned. The
>Chinese Government supports and promotes the development of the
>internet. By 2005, China's internet subscribers reached over 123
>million, and the number of Chinese websites 788 thousand. China has
>become the second largest internet user of the world. China
>administrates internet in accordance with law. This is also the usual
>practice by all the countries in the world. "

I'm comforted to see that the Chinese Foreign Ministry has adopted
world-class responsiveness which "is also the usual practice by all the
countries in the world. " ;-)

Ec

Re: wikimedia blocked again in China [ In reply to ]
Andrew Lih wrote:

>On 11/17/06, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>2006/11/17, Dariusz Siedlecki <datrio@gmail.com>:
>>

>>It's funny that just two days ago, the largest Polish newspaper
>>"Gazeta Wyborcza" has announced that Wikipedia is unblocked in China:
>>
>>http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodarka/1,33181,3739338.html
>>
>>and they have written that it is good example that "hard-talks" w
>>China goverment may give good results....
>>

>Sigh.
>
>Yes it's stories like that and from Reporters Sans Frontiers that can
>be frustrating - gloating that you can press China to change if you
>push hard enough is not exactly a friendly tactic. In fact, it may be
>counterproductive.

The "nouveau libre" like the "nouveau riche" tend to neglect the study
of history. In a Chinese context they could keep up to date by reading
the "Shujing".

Ec