Mailing List Archive

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
ATR wrote:
> After thinking about it and reading the comments of
> the two individuals (who just happen both to be WMF
> board members) whose alleged PD content makes
> up the logo and reconsidering what I posted before
> I have several comments/clarifications:
>
> First, if something is so generic that it has no real content,
> i.e. a closeup of a sunflower and a set of brackets, it cannot
> be "released into the public domain" because it is already
> uncopyrightable; IMHO any such "license" is irrelevant as a
> matter of law. How is anyone going to know if one photo of a
> sunflower close up is the same as another? Can someone
> copyright a set of brackets? I don't think so, that seems silly
> to me, there is no real creativity there.

Explain that to any logo creator. He will be happy to learn that his job
encompass no creativity.
Sorry, but no. Making a logo is creation.
Try to ask a robot to make you the logo which exactly fits with your
company and its spirit, I guess you will not get something very valuable.

Not everthing we do
> is protected by copyright law, so you cannot PD something
> that can't be PD, or if you want to suggest that it is PD
> that does not mean that trademark law cannot superseded
> by copyright law and people can use it in violation of trademark
> law just because someone said, "hey I released this into the
> public domain because I was just a volunteer for the
> organization that is now using it."
>
> Putting together those two elements creates a logo, and
> a logo is covered by statutory & common trademark law.
> The basis principle of trademark law is that the trademark
> belongs to whomever uses it, here it has been in use by the
> Wikimedia Foundation, it was created on its servers and it
> belongs to it, anyone, even board members of the WMF
> cannot suggest that it belongs to them or can be transfered to
> some kind of "public ownership" because they are not
> using it "in commerce" and never did.

Excuse me here, but are you saying that every little bit an editor adds
to wikipedia, just because it was created on WMF servers, belongs to WMF ?

Correct me if I am
> wrong. Otherwise it is Wikimedia Foundation that "owns"
> the logo, and all the underlying intellectual property rights
> to said logo, whatever such rights may be notwithstanding
> whatever anyone says or whatever they might have did,
> i..e., declaring such logo as being "public domain."
>
> Creating a logo for "public domain use" is an absurdity,
> it is like mixing apples with oranges.There is no such thing as
> releasing a logo into the public domain, once logos fall into
> disuse they are no longer logos, just graphics; as Eric
> points out people can certainly create graphics that use
> parts of other graphics that are generic, that happens all
> the time and does not depend on the "public domain" just
> as no one "owns" words, no one owns basic symbols or
> reproductions of images that are so generic that no one
> can really tell who made those images. However if someone
> creates a "logo" that causes confusion with another logo,
> especially one that is protected by statutory trademark law
> the question is, does the owner care if the mark is diluted by
> such wrongful infringement? If the owner does nothing and/or
> its board members condone such action eventually that
> trademark will be worthless, but I would like to point out
> that board members owe a fiduciary duty to the organization(s)
> on which they sit.

Yes. And afaik, board members also are supposed to have a say in the
trademark strategy followed by the organisation on which they sit.

> I would like to note that I am discussing this issue publicly as
> volunteer not in any "official" or "unofficial" capacity. I am
> not disclosing anything here that is not a matter of public record.

I'll stop that troll here.

But it was interesting and help me to open my eyes.

Anthere

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
IANAL

On 11/16/06, Anthere <anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ???
> Sorry. Belongs to who ?
> If you intend to claim I am not the author of the flower picture because
> it belongs to the Foundation, I think you are showing a badly twisted mind.

Trademark rights under certian contexts belong to the foundation.
Since you released it into the public domain the copyright probably
belongs to no one (the slightly quibble is based on the question of is
it in fact posible to release your work into the public domain but
that is a seperate question)

> Are you realising what you are saying ?
>
> I do not care the image is "embedded" in the logo, but the image itself
> has an independant life and no one has the right to strip me of my
> author rights on it.

You did that when you released it into the public domain. You have no
control over derivatives. In this case the derivative is also in the
public domain copyright wise.

> It is shocking to tell me I am not allowed to
> choose myself under which licence an image I produced should be released
> simply because later it is used in a tm logo.

I think Alex is mixing up trademark law and copyright law. However
tradmark does impose some limits. You would not be able to use your
image to market your own brand of wiki for example.

> Excuse me ?
>
> The sunflower is NOT a symbol. It is a photo I took myself in a
> perfectly good sunflower field. They were 2 meters high. I had to find a
> way to reach the flower. Find a way to take a close up of it even though
> I was nearly escalating the plant. Find a way to escape the sun to have
> the right light. And it is to be considered generic with no author right ?

The stuff where you chose the lighting conditions would give you a
solid copyright claim based on the case law I have seen. The effort to
get into that position would not (the law does not appear to
diffurentuate between takeing one step to the side to snap a photo and
climbing up mountians in a war zone to take a photo).

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, ATR <alex756@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Putting together those two elements creates a logo, and
> a logo is covered by statutory & common trademark law.
> The basis principle of trademark law is that the trademark
> belongs to whomever uses it, here it has been in use by the
> Wikimedia Foundation, it was created on its servers and it
> belongs to it, anyone, even board members of the WMF
> cannot suggest that it belongs to them or can be transfered to
> some kind of "public ownership" because they are not
> using it "in commerce" and never did. Correct me if I am
> wrong. Otherwise it is Wikimedia Foundation that "owns"
> the logo, and all the underlying intellectual property rights
> to said logo, whatever such rights may be notwithstanding
> whatever anyone says or whatever they might have did,
> i..e., declaring such logo as being "public domain."

The Wikimedia Foundation doesn't "own" the logo. They might own a
trademark on the logo. They don't own the copyright on the original
logo, because they didn't create it, not even as a work for hire (the
author was not an employee at the time they created the image, and the
author did not "expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them
that the work shall be considered a work made for hire").

Whether or not the WMF owns the trademark is actually a more difficult
question. A trademark doesn't actually belong "to whomever uses it",
in order to obtain a trademark it has to be used with some degree of
exclusivity.

Are others using the Mediawiki logo in commerce? I would think there
probably are. Is this use significant enough? I have no idea.

Anthony
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
geni wrote:
>>I do not care the image is "embedded" in the logo, but the image itself
>>has an independant life and no one has the right to strip me of my
>>author rights on it.
>

> You did that when you released it into the public domain. You have no
> control over derivatives. In this case the derivative is also in the
> public domain copyright wise.

I understand that.
If I remember well, I never put the original image on wiki. So, by
default, it is under traditional cp.

There are also two derivative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tournesol%28L%29.jpg is under GFDL.
Made on a rainy day.

And this one is a collaborative creation of antfish.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bouquet_fleurs.png
It is under a dual license, gfdl and a cc.

Finally, the cropped image is PD.
May it have a long and fruitful life embedded in the mediawiki logo
(unless it is replaced one day)

And as a wikithank across all of our projects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tournesol.png (for wikithanks on
enwiki). Gfdl

Eh, last derivative, 6th of nov 2006:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Greetings_Barnstar.png
Gfdl

Licensing mess...

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
I think the point is that the sunflower logo was one which we wanted to
have as the default logo for all installations, and we wanted people to
be able to happily use it or do whatever they wanted with it, and we did
NOT intend to protect it or license it in any restrictive way. Not that
particular one. That's because it is the default logo in the default
install of the software, see.

This is not about the foundation logo, the wikipedia logo, etc., all of
which are trademarks and copyright to the foundation, etc.

The sunflower one is one we don't really care about, except of course we
love it with all our hearts. :)

Now, as to whether it is literally "public domain" (which is really
rather a bit hard to do under US law), I leave to lawyers to figure out.
Whether it is a trademark that the Foundation chooses not to defend,
or a trademark which the Foundation freely licenses, or not a trademark
at all, is a question I also leave to lawyers to figure out.

The point is, people can do as they like with it, and the Foundation
does not mind.

This discussion, to repeat, applies ONLY to the sunflower logo which is
the default install in the mediawiki software.

--Jimbo
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
geni wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> The photo of the sunflower, and the crop thereof, are certainly
>> copyrightable. My question would be: What exactly do we lose if we
>> trademark only the name "MediaWiki", and make no attempt to protect
>> the image?
>>

> People selling T-shirts with the logo on outside wikimedia and OS
> events? Someone useing it as the symbol for their softwear? There are
> various potential issues.

I can't speak for the entire board, of course, but I think that Erik,
Anthere, and I at least have all weighed in during this thread to say
that at the very least, for the flower logo which is part of the default
install of the software, at least these board members are of the opinion
that this is very different from all the other logos, and one which we
have never had any interest in protecting or defending.

If we wanted to have a logo for mediawiki which is defendable, I suppose
we would want to get a new one, because this one has been declared
completely free of restrictions for so long that it is really not very
defensible I think. And anyway, we have no interest in doing that.

If people want to make tshirts with the flower logo on it, and sell
them, I doubt very much if at least these 3 board members would mind one
bit. That's sort of what the point was of the decisions made in the past.

--Jimbo
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 11/16/06, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
>> People selling T-shirts with the logo on outside wikimedia and OS
>> events?
>
> Go for it.
>
>> Someone useing it as the symbol for their softwear?
>
> As long as they don't call it MediaWiki ...

I am in 100% agreement with Erik.

--Jimbo