causes them to do crazy things? ...and causes them to run out and
snap free-content photos of celebrities?

==SJ
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 14/11/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has caused me pain and suffering for some time, as some of you
> know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in public since the
> dawn of logotime: The WMF logo is asymmetric. most notably the green
> region, but also the blue (varying width, inner and outer rings not
> quite parallel). As long as the newly revisited commons logo is
> being considered
>
> Can this be fixed? Should it be? Does this asymmetry cause just
> enough subliminal disjuncture that it sticks in peoples mind? ...and
> causes them to do crazy things? ...and causes them to run out and
> snap free-content photos of celebrities?

Now that I see it, it causes me great pain and woeful suffering. Why
has it not been fixed before?

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill@gmail.com)
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/14/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/11/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This has caused me pain and suffering for some time, as some of you
> > know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in public since the
> > dawn of logotime: The WMF logo is asymmetric. most notably the green
> > region, but also the blue (varying width, inner and outer rings not
> > quite parallel). As long as the newly revisited commons logo is
> > being considered
> >
> > Can this be fixed? Should it be? Does this asymmetry cause just
> > enough subliminal disjuncture that it sticks in peoples mind? ...and
> > causes them to do crazy things? ...and causes them to run out and
> > snap free-content photos of celebrities?
>
> Now that I see it, it causes me great pain and woeful suffering. Why
> has it not been fixed before?

Because we were too busy making sure no derivatives were ever issued. *grins*

Could it be that the official logo is actually a derivative itself?

/me starts shivering.

Ok Sam, you won, i'll be working on it shortly. Give me the week-end
to issue all new official Wikimedia logos, if that be my swan's song.

(/me can see Sam do the happy dance)

Delphine
--
~notafish
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
SJ wrote:
> This has caused me pain and suffering for some time, as some of you
> know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in public since the
> dawn of logotime: The WMF logo is asymmetric. most notably the green
> region, but also the blue (varying width, inner and outer rings not
> quite parallel). As long as the newly revisited commons logo is
> being considered
>
> Can this be fixed? Should it be? Does this asymmetry cause just
> enough subliminal disjuncture that it sticks in peoples mind? ...and
> causes them to do crazy things? ...and causes them to run out and
> snap free-content photos of celebrities?

Oh come on, it's not as bad as the Mediawiki logo... :)

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
Hang on, I must contest all this! I see all the Wikimedia logos as
being professional, memorable and simple; therefore effective. They
also fit really well with the default monobook theme, IMO.

On 15/11/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax@gmail.com> wrote:
> SJ wrote:
> > This has caused me pain and suffering for some time, as some of you
> > know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in public since the
> > dawn of logotime: The WMF logo is asymmetric. most notably the green
> > region, but also the blue (varying width, inner and outer rings not
> > quite parallel). As long as the newly revisited commons logo is
> > being considered
> >
> > Can this be fixed? Should it be? Does this asymmetry cause just
> > enough subliminal disjuncture that it sticks in peoples mind? ...and
> > causes them to do crazy things? ...and causes them to run out and
> > snap free-content photos of celebrities?
> >

> Oh come on, it's not as bad as the Mediawiki logo... :)
>
> --
> Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
> Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
> "We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
> Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP

—Xyrael / Sean Whitton ~ Knowledge is power, but only wisdom is liberty
sean@silentflame.com (PGP: 0x25F4EAB7) | xyrael.net
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/15/06, Sean Whitton <sean@silentflame.com> wrote:
> Hang on, I must contest all this! I see all the Wikimedia logos as
> being professional, memorable and simple; therefore effective. They
> also fit really well with the default monobook theme, IMO.

I don't think the foundation owns the mediawiki logo. Copyright wise
it is in the public domain.

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
geni wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Sean Whitton <sean@silentflame.com> wrote:
>
>> Hang on, I must contest all this! I see all the Wikimedia logos as
>> being professional, memorable and simple; therefore effective. They
>> also fit really well with the default monobook theme, IMO.

> I don't think the foundation owns the mediawiki logo. Copyright wise
> it is in the public domain.
Hoi,
Given the age of the thing it cannot be PD yet. They are part of a
trademark and as such they are owned by the Foundation. They can if they
so choose license the logos. This is problematic because the rights that
are usual for other WMF content contrasts with the requirement of
maintaining the trademark.

This has all been said in the past often enough. Please do not spout
nonsense as if our logos are Public Domain.

Thanks,
GerardM
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
> > On 14/11/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This has caused me pain and suffering for some time, ..

I both feel and share your pain, Sj :-)

..to which Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> replied:

> Ok Sam, you won, i'll be working on it shortly. Give me the week-end
> to issue all new official Wikimedia logos, if that be my swan's song.

Gadzooks! Delphine, please, any other song than a swan song!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_song

Cormac
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
> > I don't think the foundation owns the mediawiki logo. Copyright wise
> > it is in the public domain.
> Hoi,
> Given the age of the thing it cannot be PD yet. They are part of a
> trademark and as such they are owned by the Foundation. They can if they
> so choose license the logos. This is problematic because the rights that
> are usual for other WMF content contrasts with the requirement of
> maintaining the trademark.

No, the MediaWiki one really is public domain.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:MediaWiki-smaller-logo.png

Whether or not it is also a trademark of the Foundation doesn't affect
its copyright status.

Angela.
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, Angela <beesley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whether or not it is also a trademark of the Foundation doesn't affect
> its copyright status.

Incerdentaly do you know if it is a trademark of the foundation?

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Angela <beesley@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Whether or not it is also a trademark of the Foundation doesn't affect
> > its copyright status.
>
> Incerdentaly do you know if it is a trademark of the foundation?

It is.

Delphine
--
~notafish
Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
|> > I don't think the foundation owns the mediawiki logo. Copyright wise
|> > it is in the public domain.
|> Hoi,
|> Given the age of the thing it cannot be PD yet. They are part of a
|> trademark and as such they are owned by the Foundation. They can if they
|> so choose license the logos. This is problematic because the rights that
|> are usual for other WMF content contrasts with the requirement of
|> maintaining the trademark.
|
|No, the MediaWiki one really is public domain.
|http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:MediaWiki-smaller-logo.png
|
|Whether or not it is also a trademark of the Foundation doesn't affect
|its copyright status.
|
|Angela.

Someone cannot declare a work PD just by copying it. It seems the
actual logo was created by Eric Moller, and it has always been the
understanding with all logos that they were "works made for hire" for
the foundation. This has been discussed previously and Jimbo can
back this up. Just because someone put a PD tag on the page at
Commons does not invalidate the Foundation's claim to this logo.

As far as the "trademark" status of the logo, the word MEDIAWIKI is
a registered mark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.. I know this because
I am the attorney of record on the USPTO file that granted this mark to
the foundation. Also the actual logo is also a mark of the Wikimedia
Foundation Inc., and is used to identify the MediaWiki software which
is released by the Foundation and is a foundation project.

Of course all trademarks can also be used based upon principles of
fair use that apply to trademarks in a similiar way as copyrights. The
important issue is that the mark is not used in a way to confuse the
public or dilute the brand which the mark represents as this is the kind
of protection that the law affords mark holders.

Alex T Roshuk
Attorney at law
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, ATR <alex756@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Someone cannot declare a work PD just by copying it.

the authors however probably can although I am aware there is some
disspute on that point..

> It seems the actual logo was created by Eric Moller, and it has always been the
> understanding with all logos that they were "works made for hire" for
> the foundation. This has been discussed previously and Jimbo can
> back this up. Just because someone put a PD tag on the page at
> Commons does not invalidate the Foundation's claim to this logo.

That someone was the author:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:MediaWiki-smaller-logo.png&diff=2170395&oldid=1545263

While the work for hire bit holds true for most of the more recent
logos it doesn't so much for things tha happened in the early days

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
ATR wrote:

> |> Hoi,
> |> Given the age of the thing it cannot be PD yet. They are part of a
> |> trademark and as such they are owned by the Foundation. They can if they
> |> so choose license the logos. This is problematic because the rights that
> |> are usual for other WMF content contrasts with the requirement of
> |> maintaining the trademark.
> |
> |No, the MediaWiki one really is public domain.
> |http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:MediaWiki-smaller-logo.png
> |
> |Whether or not it is also a trademark of the Foundation doesn't affect
> |its copyright status.
> |
> |Angela.
>
> Someone cannot declare a work PD just by copying it. It seems the
> actual logo was created by Eric Moller, and it has always been the
> understanding with all logos that they were "works made for hire" for
> the foundation. This has been discussed previously and Jimbo can
> back this up. Just because someone put a PD tag on the page at
> Commons does not invalidate the Foundation's claim to this logo.
>
> As far as the "trademark" status of the logo, the word MEDIAWIKI is
> a registered mark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.. I know this because
> I am the attorney of record on the USPTO file that granted this mark to
> the foundation. Also the actual logo is also a mark of the Wikimedia
> Foundation Inc., and is used to identify the MediaWiki software which
> is released by the Foundation and is a foundation project.
>
> Of course all trademarks can also be used based upon principles of
> fair use that apply to trademarks in a similiar way as copyrights. The
> important issue is that the mark is not used in a way to confuse the
> public or dilute the brand which the mark represents as this is the kind
> of protection that the law affords mark holders.
>
> Alex T Roshuk
> Attorney at law

Can I put my feet in the mud here ?

The logo was a creation of Erik. The flower is from me (see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tournesol%28L%29.jpg)

After the end of the contest, Erik decided to use that logo for
mediawiki. At this time, it was not clear at all the logos would be
trademarked by the Foundation. The truth is we had no idea at that time
how important trademarks would be in the future. Well, the Foundation
was created only a couple of months before the international contest for
logos. There was no set up board. There were no board decision. There
were no resolution. In short, there is absolutely no trackable way to
prove there was an understanding the Foundation would own the trademark.
This is just bullshit. There was no clear understanding. We were young,
we did not know. Period.

My memory is also very clear that developers did not want the mediawiki
logo and name to be owned by the Foundation. Of course, in real life,
anyone can claim to own a trademark on something that nobody else claim.
So, the Foundation asked to own the trademark of this, and now does. And
with most developers now making a living thanks to the Foundation, I
doubt very much any of them would ever make a complain over this. There
is now a history.

Several months after the logo started being used for mediawiki, Erik
asked me if I would put the flower image under public domain. Again, I
did not know much about copyright and author rights at that time. At
this point, the image was under GFDL, which made no sense for a logo,
and no sense for what we wanted it to be used for. It may be that
another licence would have been better.

The mediawiki software is very arguably a Foundation project as you
claim. For a long time, it was not. And the developers did not want it
to be. It seems the Foundation just decided at some point that it was.
Apparently.
The problem I have with this statement, is that I far as I know, I have
been on the board of trustees since june 2004, and I have NO memory we
ever decided that mediawiki was a wikimedia project. For all I know, it
is not. And for now, the Foundation website does not claim it is :
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects.

It is definitly a software we are using. Developers are largely
improving it for our projects. But others are improving it as well. The
main *ownership* of mediawiki is related to the main developers being
now paid by the Foundation. It may be a wikimedia project in this that
we largely support its development. But it is not officially a wikimedia
project. Period.

Now, understand it well. I *prefer* that the Foundation owns the logo
and name trademarks, because as you say, it means the logo and name can
not be misused to confuse public.

However, contrariwise to Wikipedia, the mediawiki software is not only
used by the Foundation, but by also thousands of projects around the
world. The worse thing that could happen is that people deciding to use
the mediawiki find themselves obliged to ask permission or even worse to
pay the Foundation to use the software, use the name, use the little
logo, powered by Mediawiki. If something like this ever occurs in the
future, I hope developers will consider changing the name, changing the
logo and make it possible for the software to spread freely. This is
what is important, and as long as the Foundation respects this spirit,
and only defend the logo and name against bad uses, I am fine with the
current situation.

In the end, I am only pissed of to see claims about what the Foundation
owns, said, agreed to, blahblahblah, provided with the stamp "Jimbo can
back this up". The Foundation is governed by a board. And as Angela will
probably agree to, there are some decisions which were never made by the
board. Which makes their validity questionnable.

Ant

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
The fact of the matter was that Jimbo applied for the MediaWiki
trademark and then I fixed the application afterwards. The term "MEDIAWIKI"
is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.. This was done
after the foundation was created, not before. This was not hidden from
anyone
it is a matter of public record:

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78507335

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=6lvb7s.3.1

As you can see from the database TESS record it clearly states that the
trademark
was: "FIRST USE: 20030808. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030809" The
foundation was incorporated on June 20, 2003, August 8-9, 2003 is subsequent
to that date. Thus, this is after the Foundation was created, not before. It
was first
posted on Wikimedia project web pages and it was proposed to be used in that
context, no other. The logo was not create before that date, but afterwards.
How can
you say you own something when a part of it belongs to someone else?

Also Brion was aware of the trademark application and knows that the
trademark has been
registered by the foundation:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/htdig/foundation-l/2005-November/004774.html
|"5) The Foundation may own the trademark on the name MediaWiki, which
|postdates the creation of the software itself.
|
|6) A trademark registration for the mark was filed last year on behalf
|of the foundation, though it hasn't totally gone through yet. (I'm not
|the person to ask for details on that.)

|-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)"

Brion acknowledges that the foundation was getting a registration for the
trademark,
he or other developers never opposed this registration. They probably would
find it
very difficult to overturn that registratino now if they tried.

There is also a discussion about the creation & licensing of WMF trademarks
and
ownership by the foundation. I have not been able to find it, but when I do
I will post it;
this was the allusion I made to Jimbo being able to back up the fact that
the Foundation
expected people to grant the ownership of any logos to the foundation and
not release
them through some other license (why else would you create a logo for a
brand, it makes
no sense otherwise?)

The fact of a logo being made up of PD images, does not mean that someone
can
cannot recognize that MEDIAWIKI links back to WMF. It is up to the
foundation to police that. If any people think they own it they can hire
lawyers and
bring the appropriate legal action to get the trademark invalided and then
the foundation
can either fight that or give it up. That seems really silly to me because
the foundation is
not making money out of this, (any suggestion is ridiculous because it is
released under
the GPL which allows free copying and alteration). This is just there to try
and prevent
people from stripping off the information about the contributors to the
project, there is
really not much else that the foundation can do because the software is
released under
the GPL anyway. It just keeps the WMF flavor of MediaWiki distinct from all
others.
Is that really something anyone needs to fight about or that we want to deny
because
individuals want everything in the public domain and do not care about the
moral
rights of authors, such as the right of attribution (which is still
rightfully protected by
most so called "copyleft" licenses because it is not an economic right but a
right
normally considered part of the "droit d'auteur" bundle of rights associated
with
intellectual work that countries like France and Canada recognize as being
as important
or even more important than the economic rights (unfortunately the USA has
very limited
moral rights protections for creators).

As far as the ownership of these things are concerned, if you do not have
the right to release something into the public domain because it does not
belong
to you then you cannot later release it into the public domain as an
afterthought
and I would suggest that creating a logo that uses the trademarked term
MediaWiki
cannot be copyrighted by anyone other than the foundationno matter what the
other
people say, even if it is made up of a composite of public domain images
(which
do not have the licensing limitations of the GFDL or CC licenses).

The only record of owning the trademark MEDIAWIKI is with the WMF, anyone
else
using it is a trademark infringement. Does it matter who owns the copyright
or even if it is copyrightable because it may just be so generic as not to
be subject to copyright, i.e. the brackets and the sunflower show no
inherent creativity as elements, they are just standard symbols. This
reminds me of the dispute with that Neo-Nazi group that tried to claim it
owned copyright in some symbol that was clearly not subject to copyright:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Arrow_Cross but of course the consensus on
this issue seemed to be that they actually owned the copyright and the
images were taken off Wikipedia because no one really seemed to want to
fight these fascists.

We should be congnizant of the need to only fight battles that are
important, not
every fact dispute that exists because the reality is that there are a lot
of these
disputes and the resources to fight them are limited.

There is clearly a policy about Wikimedia logos being an exception to the
content
on Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing
"Use by Wikimedia only (the only non-free-licensed exceptions hosted here as
well are Wikimedia logos and other designs copyrighted by the Wikimedia
Foundation that are the trademarks, service marks or other design elements
that identify the sites of the various projects of the Wikimedia
Foundation)"

If the Foundation board thinks this is incorrect they should have their
General Counsel
correct it or put people on Notice that anyone can use these logos for
anything they want
because they are on Commons and thus, according to the logic of some
Wikipedians,
must be released under the GFDL (even if they were never so released before
being posted
on Commons).

Alex T. Roshuk, Attorney

| > |
| > |No, the MediaWiki one really is public domain.
| > |http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:MediaWiki-smaller-logo.png
| > |
| > |Whether or not it is also a trademark of the Foundation doesn't affect
| > |its copyright status.
| > |

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, ATR <alex756@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> The fact of the matter was that Jimbo applied for the MediaWiki
> trademark and then I fixed the application afterwards. The term "MEDIAWIKI"
> is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.. This was done
> after the foundation was created, not before. This was not hidden from
> anyone
> it is a matter of public record:
>
> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78507335
>
> http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=6lvb7s.3.1
>
> As you can see from the database TESS record it clearly states that the
> trademark
> was: "FIRST USE: 20030808. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030809" The
> foundation was incorporated on June 20, 2003, August 8-9, 2003 is subsequent
> to that date. Thus, this is after the Foundation was created, not before. It
> was first
> posted on Wikimedia project web pages and it was proposed to be used in that
> context, no other. The logo was not create before that date, but afterwards.
> How can
> you say you own something when a part of it belongs to someone else?

I think the normal method would be to hold a 51% stake in the company.
In terms of copyright the normal method would be to prove it is a
derivative of your work. While someone else would own part of the
derivative you would still have a significant amount of ownership.

> There is also a discussion about the creation & licensing of WMF trademarks
> and
> ownership by the foundation. I have not been able to find it, but when I do
> I will post it;
> this was the allusion I made to Jimbo being able to back up the fact that
> the Foundation
> expected people to grant the ownership of any logos to the foundation and
> not release
> them through some other license (why else would you create a logo for a
> brand, it makes
> no sense otherwise?)

It is quite posible to trademark something that copyright wise is in
the public domain. For example "Shock and awe" has rather a lot of
trademarks on it. In terms of copyright it is still in the public
domain.

>This is just there to try
> and prevent
> people from stripping off the information about the contributors to the
> project,

That would be the function of the GPL lisence

> As far as the ownership of these things are concerned, if you do not have
> the right to release something into the public domain because it does not
> belong
> to you then you cannot later release it into the public domain as an
> afterthought
> and I would suggest that creating a logo that uses the trademarked term
> MediaWiki
> cannot be copyrighted by anyone other than the foundationno matter what the
> other
> people say, even if it is made up of a composite of public domain images
> (which
> do not have the licensing limitations of the GFDL or CC licenses).

Any derivatives would be automaticaly copyright the person who made
them and the foundation if the foundation does indeed hold the
copyright on the image which I am yet to encounter any evidence for.
Useing them as a logo to promote a product would be more problimatical
depending on the degree of simularity and the context but that lot
gets messy and you know all this.

> The only record of owning the trademark MEDIAWIKI is with the WMF, anyone
> else
> using it is a trademark infringement. Does it matter who owns the copyright
> or even if it is copyrightable because it may just be so generic as not to
> be subject to copyright, i.e. the brackets and the sunflower show no
> inherent creativity as elements, they are just standard symbols.

The flower is a photo of a 3D object. It is rather hard to come up
with a situation in which a photo of a 3D object does not contain
enough inherent creativity to qualify for copyright (may be even
harder in the UK but no matter).

> There is clearly a policy about Wikimedia logos being an exception to the
> content
> on Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing
> "Use by Wikimedia only (the only non-free-licensed exceptions hosted here as
> well are Wikimedia logos and other designs copyrighted by the Wikimedia
> Foundation that are the trademarks, service marks or other design elements
> that identify the sites of the various projects of the Wikimedia
> Foundation)"
>
> If the Foundation board thinks this is incorrect they should have their
> General Counsel
> correct it or put people on Notice that anyone can use these logos for
> anything they want
> because they are on Commons and thus, according to the logic of some
> Wikipedians,
> must be released under the GFDL (even if they were never so released before
> being posted
> on Commons).

Rather a lot of commons is lisenced under free lisences other than GFDL.

The correctness of the statement is not an issue for the foundation
since it appears it is not a crime to claim copyright on something
that is in fact in the public domain (if it is then there are an awful
lot of websites out there that are breaking it).

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
The MW logo is PD content and Anthere and I explicitly designated it
as such. I'm not even going to get into any discussion about whether
we could retroactively "un-PD" it, as I find such attempts to put
content that has been explicitly released to the public under a
proprietary license unethical.

Is it valuable for the MW logo to be copyrighted by the WMF? Maybe it
is, maybe it isn't. I'm skeptical. I've seen dozens of wikis which
have "remixed" the MW logo to make their own (put something else
between the double square brackets etc.). I think that's pretty cool
and has not created any confusion as far as I know, since MediaWiki is
primarily a product rather than a community website of its own.

I suggest distinguishing strongly between the brand name MediaWiki and
the picture used to represent it. One can be protected while the other
is not.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
After thinking about it and reading the comments of
the two individuals (who just happen both to be WMF
board members) whose alleged PD content makes
up the logo and reconsidering what I posted before
I have several comments/clarifications:

First, if something is so generic that it has no real content,
i.e. a closeup of a sunflower and a set of brackets, it cannot
be "released into the public domain" because it is already
uncopyrightable; IMHO any such "license" is irrelevant as a
matter of law. How is anyone going to know if one photo of a
sunflower close up is the same as another? Can someone
copyright a set of brackets? I don't think so, that seems silly
to me, there is no real creativity there. Not everthing we do
is protected by copyright law, so you cannot PD something
that can't be PD, or if you want to suggest that it is PD
that does not mean that trademark law cannot superseded
by copyright law and people can use it in violation of trademark
law just because someone said, "hey I released this into the
public domain because I was just a volunteer for the
organization that is now using it."

Putting together those two elements creates a logo, and
a logo is covered by statutory & common trademark law.
The basis principle of trademark law is that the trademark
belongs to whomever uses it, here it has been in use by the
Wikimedia Foundation, it was created on its servers and it
belongs to it, anyone, even board members of the WMF
cannot suggest that it belongs to them or can be transfered to
some kind of "public ownership" because they are not
using it "in commerce" and never did. Correct me if I am
wrong. Otherwise it is Wikimedia Foundation that "owns"
the logo, and all the underlying intellectual property rights
to said logo, whatever such rights may be notwithstanding
whatever anyone says or whatever they might have did,
i..e., declaring such logo as being "public domain."

Creating a logo for "public domain use" is an absurdity,
it is like mixing apples with oranges.There is no such thing as
releasing a logo into the public domain, once logos fall into
disuse they are no longer logos, just graphics; as Eric
points out people can certainly create graphics that use
parts of other graphics that are generic, that happens all
the time and does not depend on the "public domain" just
as no one "owns" words, no one owns basic symbols or
reproductions of images that are so generic that no one
can really tell who made those images. However if someone
creates a "logo" that causes confusion with another logo,
especially one that is protected by statutory trademark law
the question is, does the owner care if the mark is diluted by
such wrongful infringement? If the owner does nothing and/or
its board members condone such action eventually that
trademark will be worthless, but I would like to point out
that board members owe a fiduciary duty to the organization(s)
on which they sit.

I would like to note that I am discussing this issue publicly as
volunteer not in any "official" or "unofficial" capacity. I am
not disclosing anything here that is not a matter of public record.

Alex T Roshuk
Attorney at law

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, ATR <alex756@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> First, if something is so generic that it has no real content,
> i.e. a closeup of a sunflower and a set of brackets, it cannot
> be "released into the public domain" because it is already
> uncopyrightable;

The photo of the sunflower, and the crop thereof, are certainly
copyrightable. My question would be: What exactly do we lose if we
trademark only the name "MediaWiki", and make no attempt to protect
the image?

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, ATR <alex756@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> First, if something is so generic that it has no real content,
> i.e. a closeup of a sunflower and a set of brackets, it cannot
> be "released into the public domain" because it is already
> uncopyrightable; IMHO any such "license" is irrelevant as a
> matter of law.

The creative elements would be the angle from which the photo was
taken and the lighting

>How is anyone going to know if one photo of a
> sunflower close up is the same as another?

We manage:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sunflower

> Can someone copyright a set of brackets?

Under some conditions yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminated_manuscript

> Not everthing we do
> is protected by copyright law, so you cannot PD something
> that can't be PD, or if you want to suggest that it is PD
> that does not mean that trademark law cannot superseded
> by copyright law and people can use it in violation of trademark
> law just because someone said, "hey I released this into the
> public domain because I was just a volunteer for the
> organization that is now using it."

Copyright and trademark are two different areas. One does not supersed
the other since they are not dealing with the same issues.

> Putting together those two elements creates a logo, and
> a logo is covered by statutory & common trademark law.
> The basis principle of trademark law is that the trademark
> belongs to whomever uses it, here it has been in use by the
> Wikimedia Foundation, it was created on its servers and it
> belongs to it, anyone, even board members of the WMF
> cannot suggest that it belongs to them or can be transfered to
> some kind of "public ownership" because they are not
> using it "in commerce" and never did. Correct me if I am
> wrong. Otherwise it is Wikimedia Foundation that "owns"
> the logo, and all the underlying intellectual property rights
> to said logo, whatever such rights may be notwithstanding
> whatever anyone says or whatever they might have did,
> i..e., declaring such logo as being "public domain."

Not at all. The foundation owns the trademark rights. No evidence it
owns any of the other potential IP rights.

> Creating a logo for "public domain use" is an absurdity,

Several major religions would disagree with you there

You appear to be useing the word logo when you mean trademark.

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The photo of the sunflower, and the crop thereof, are certainly
> copyrightable. My question would be: What exactly do we lose if we
> trademark only the name "MediaWiki", and make no attempt to protect
> the image?

People selling T-shirts with the logo on outside wikimedia and OS
events? Someone useing it as the symbol for their softwear? There are
various potential issues.

--
geni
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
For the record, I am shocked by your entire email.
Deeply.

ATR wrote:
> The fact of the matter was that Jimbo applied for the MediaWiki
> trademark and then I fixed the application afterwards. The term "MEDIAWIKI"
> is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.. This was done
> after the foundation was created, not before. This was not hidden from
> anyone
> it is a matter of public record:
>
> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78507335
>
> http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=6lvb7s.3.1
>
> As you can see from the database TESS record it clearly states that the
> trademark
> was: "FIRST USE: 20030808. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030809" The
> foundation was incorporated on June 20, 2003, August 8-9, 2003 is subsequent
> to that date. Thus, this is after the Foundation was created, not before. It
> was first
> posted on Wikimedia project web pages and it was proposed to be used in that
> context, no other. The logo was not create before that date, but afterwards.

I never argued that the Foundation never applied to the tm. Nor that it
tried to hide it. I object to your statement that the authors of the
logo (Erik and for a very little part myself) were informed that the
logo would be trademarked by the Foundation. THis is false and you know it.

> How can
> you say you own something when a part of it belongs to someone else?

???
Sorry. Belongs to who ?
If you intend to claim I am not the author of the flower picture because
it belongs to the Foundation, I think you are showing a badly twisted mind.

> Also Brion was aware of the trademark application and knows that the
> trademark has been
> registered by the foundation:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/htdig/foundation-l/2005-November/004774.html
> |"5) The Foundation may own the trademark on the name MediaWiki, which
> |postdates the creation of the software itself.
> |
> |6) A trademark registration for the mark was filed last year on behalf
> |of the foundation, though it hasn't totally gone through yet. (I'm not
> |the person to ask for details on that.)
> |
> |-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)"

The fact that Brion knew and agreed is not the proof all developers knew
and agreed. Are you saying here that Brion is the only author and the
only person whose opinion matters ?

> Brion acknowledges that the foundation was getting a registration for the
> trademark,
> he or other developers never opposed this registration. They probably would
> find it
> very difficult to overturn that registratino now if they tried.

I agree. That's why I say there is a sufficient history.

> There is also a discussion about the creation & licensing of WMF trademarks
> and
> ownership by the foundation. I have not been able to find it, but when I do
> I will post it;
> this was the allusion I made to Jimbo being able to back up the fact that
> the Foundation
> expected people to grant the ownership of any logos to the foundation and
> not release
> them through some other license (why else would you create a logo for a
> brand, it makes
> no sense otherwise?)

I would be intereested to see this email, which of course would have to
have been posted PRIOR to the logo contest.
Afaik, there is no such email.

> The fact of a logo being made up of PD images, does not mean that someone
> can
> cannot recognize that MEDIAWIKI links back to WMF. It is up to the
> foundation to police that. If any people think they own it they can hire
> lawyers and
> bring the appropriate legal action to get the trademark invalided and then
> the foundation
> can either fight that or give it up. That seems really silly to me because
> the foundation is
> not making money out of this, (any suggestion is ridiculous because it is
> released under
> the GPL which allows free copying and alteration).

Wake up Alex !
The fact a software is under gpl does not imply no one will try to make
money on it. The Foundation could do that, just as Red Hat is making
money with Linux. This suggestion is in no way ridiculous.

This is just there to try
> and prevent
> people from stripping off the information about the contributors to the
> project, there is
> really not much else that the foundation can do because the software is
> released under
> the GPL anyway. It just keeps the WMF flavor of MediaWiki distinct from all
> others.
> Is that really something anyone needs to fight about or that we want to deny
> because
> individuals want everything in the public domain and do not care about the
> moral
> rights of authors, such as the right of attribution (which is still
> rightfully protected by
> most so called "copyleft" licenses because it is not an economic right but a
> right
> normally considered part of the "droit d'auteur" bundle of rights associated
> with
> intellectual work that countries like France and Canada recognize as being
> as important
> or even more important than the economic rights (unfortunately the USA has
> very limited
> moral rights protections for creators).
>
> As far as the ownership of these things are concerned, if you do not have
> the right to release something into the public domain because it does not
> belong
> to you then you cannot later release it into the public domain as an
> afterthought
> and I would suggest that creating a logo that uses the trademarked term
> MediaWiki
> cannot be copyrighted by anyone other than the foundationno matter what the
> other
> people say, even if it is made up of a composite of public domain images
> (which
> do not have the licensing limitations of the GFDL or CC licenses).

This is an absolutely outrageous comment Alex. You are here saying that
because the name Mediawiki was added to the logo after its creation (the
logo was created in summer 2003, for the Wikipedia contest, so
originally, it did not have the Mediawiki word in it), I lost my right
to release an image that *I* authored under the license I wish.

Are you realising what you are saying ?

I do not care the image is "embedded" in the logo, but the image itself
has an independant life and no one has the right to strip me of my
author rights on it. It is shocking to tell me I am not allowed to
choose myself under which licence an image I produced should be released
simply because later it is used in a tm logo.

> The only record of owning the trademark MEDIAWIKI is with the WMF, anyone
> else
> using it is a trademark infringement. Does it matter who owns the copyright
> or even if it is copyrightable because it may just be so generic as not to
> be subject to copyright, i.e. the brackets and the sunflower show no
> inherent creativity as elements, they are just standard symbols.

Excuse me ?

The sunflower is NOT a symbol. It is a photo I took myself in a
perfectly good sunflower field. They were 2 meters high. I had to find a
way to reach the flower. Find a way to take a close up of it even though
I was nearly escalating the plant. Find a way to escape the sun to have
the right light. And it is to be considered generic with no author right ?

What will you say to the thousands of wikipedians who took a picture of
a device, of a monument, or of a painting. That it is just generic and
that they actually do not own any right on it and that it can not be
subject to copyright ?

This
> reminds me of the dispute with that Neo-Nazi group that tried to claim it
> owned copyright in some symbol that was clearly not subject to copyright:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Arrow_Cross but of course the consensus on
> this issue seemed to be that they actually owned the copyright and the
> images were taken off Wikipedia because no one really seemed to want to
> fight these fascists.

And you even reach the godwin point.

That will be it for me.

Anthere

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/15/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has caused me pain and suffering for some time, as some of you
> know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in public since the
> dawn of logotime: The WMF logo is asymmetric. most notably the green
> region, but also the blue (varying width, inner and outer rings not
> quite parallel). As long as the newly revisited commons logo is
> being considered
>
> Can this be fixed? Should it be? Does this asymmetry cause just
> enough subliminal disjuncture that it sticks in peoples mind? ...and
> causes them to do crazy things? ...and causes them to run out and
> snap free-content photos of celebrities?

I drew an SVG version a while ago which is perfectly symmetrical.

If someone can tell me what they would like me to do in order to
assign the copyrights to the Foundation, then I'll upload it.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain@gmail.com
Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> People selling T-shirts with the logo on outside wikimedia and OS
> events?

Go for it.

> Someone useing it as the symbol for their softwear?

As long as they don't call it MediaWiki ...

Re: Foundation logo : pain and suffering [ In reply to ]
Imagine a person makes a photo of a sunflower field. There are several
sunflowers, some green stuff, light, insects... I am sure you would
agree it is a "copyrigtable" picture. There is a creative work here.

Then, imagine you put this image under GFDL.
As such, any derivative of the image ... must say under GFDL.

Now, imagine a new person comes and decide to pick up an element in the
image. Make a crop of a flower. Then remove all the background. Enhance
a bit the color. Smooth the borders. Add a pinch of light here. Darken a
bit there. There is a creative work here. And it is a derivative.

Should not it stay under GFDL ?

I'd say yes.

At best, you may consider it a sort of something under fair use.

But to claim it is not copyrightable is, at best, shocking.

Ant