Mailing List Archive

What to do with wikimedia.com/.org
Thanks to Arne Klempert, at long last, we now own the wikimedia.com
domain name in addition to wikimedia.org. To me this is a good time to
revisit the question what to do with the www.wikimedia.com/.org
website.

Right now it's a minimal portal with logo links to the projects
(currently missing Wikiversity). One point that has been made is that
"Wikimedia" can refer to any of the chapters or the Foundation, while
"Wikimedia Foundation" is specific to the Foundation.

So I think it makes sense to keep wikimediafoundation.org the way it
is, also for reasons of Wikimedia/Wikipedia confusion. But we could
turn wikimedia.org into a portal which shows

1) a link to the Foundation website
2) links to the chapter websites (slightly smaller)
3) links to the projects (slightly smaller still).

The site itself should avoid language, but I'm sure we can make it
spiffier than the current one.

Is this general pattern acceptable? If so, I suggest we launch and
advertise a design contest.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
Re: What to do with wikimedia.com/.org [ In reply to ]
On 10/10/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 1) a link to the Foundation website
> 2) links to the chapter websites (slightly smaller)
> 3) links to the projects (slightly smaller still).

All three of these. We should be able to do this mostly with pictures.
I'd suggest the projects, the Foundation then the chapters.

We shouldn't need a design contest unless trying stuff and straw polls
fails us. But that worked okay for www.wikipedia.org.

- d.
Re: What to do with wikimedia.com/.org [ In reply to ]
On 10/10/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> 1) a link to the Foundation website
> 2) links to the chapter websites (slightly smaller)
> 3) links to the projects (slightly smaller still).

There should be a donation link there somewhere.

> The site itself should avoid language, but I'm sure we can make it
> spiffier than the current one.
>
> Is this general pattern acceptable? If so, I suggest we launch and
> advertise a design contest.

No. Tried that before it doesn't work. It sort of works for single
images but for entire layouts you are probably looking for ways to get
people to colaberate.

--
geni
Re: What to do with wikimedia.com/.org [ In reply to ]
geni wrote:
> On 10/10/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> 1) a link to the Foundation website
>> 2) links to the chapter websites (slightly smaller)
>> 3) links to the projects (slightly smaller still).
>>

> There should be a donation link there somewhere.
>

>> The site itself should avoid language, but I'm sure we can make it
>> spiffier than the current one.
>>
>> Is this general pattern acceptable? If so, I suggest we launch and
>> advertise a design contest.
>>

> No. Tried that before it doesn't work. It sort of works for single
> images but for entire layouts you are probably looking for ways to get
> people to colaberate.
Hoi,
Currently the only options we have is to have a user and consequently
the addressing of people in their user language or people are completely
anonymous and they are addressed in English. When single login is
finally getting priority, a site like wikipedia.org or wikimedia.org
will be able to make use of what we already know from users. Having text
will therefore be less of an issue.

I would advocate to have a halfway house between a user and the current
standard address in English. I would like people to opt for there
anonymous usage of our services by just indicating a language
preference. This would be associated with that user on a platform and
consequently they will get a user interface (when we have it) for that
language on any of our projects. In my opinion, this would be a great
help for many people. This would also make the step that people have to
take a lot less steep. I know that many English wikipedians would like
less people contributing, this feature is not for them. This feature
will help people who do NOT speak English as their first language.

Thanks,
GerardM
Re: What to do with wikimedia.com/.org [ In reply to ]
On 10/11/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would advocate to have a halfway house between a user and the current
> standard address in English. I would like people to opt for there
> anonymous usage of our services by just indicating a language
> preference. This would be associated with that user on a platform and
> consequently they will get a user interface (when we have it) for that
> language on any of our projects. In my opinion, this would be a great
> help for many people. This would also make the step that people have to
> take a lot less steep. I know that many English wikipedians would like
> less people contributing, this feature is not for them. This feature
> will help people who do NOT speak English as their first language.

Sounds thoughtful, however I failed to imagine what you meant. Could
you please show us a mock-up?

--
Kizu Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org