Mailing List Archive

Wikinews language coordinator needed
Hi,

I'd like to delegate the task of coordinating Wikinews language
editions. The task consists of the following:

1) Keep an eye on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Start_a_new_edition
for language editions which have at least 5 supporters.

2) When that threshold is reached, contact the supporters and ask them
to prepare the necessary translations / page creations at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_language_pre-launch

3) Keep an eye on that page as well for editions which are ready to go.

4) When an edition is ready to go, file a site request at

http://bugzilla.wikipedia.org/

For bonus points: A new language edition initially needs to have
uploads enabled until it uploads its own logo, then uploads need to be
disabled until a fair use policy is established that clarifies under
which circumstances users are allowed to upload files.

Wikinews editions also need to be licensed under CC-BY, not GFDL.

Beyond acting on your own, you would also be the first point of
contact for all questions about the process. I'd be happy to go
through it with you once more via Skype or phone.

If you are interested in volunteering for this role, please contact me
privately at erik AT wikimedia DOT org, and I will try to pick the
person a) most qualified and b) most likely to do the work. ;-)

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]
<snip>
> For bonus points: A new language edition initially needs to have
> uploads enabled until it uploads its own logo, then uploads need to be
> disabled until a fair use policy is established that clarifies under
> which circumstances users are allowed to upload files.
</snip>

Hmmm, isn't it easier to put it in such a way that the logo is
uploaded to commons, and that that one is used? I thought I saw that
construction on some wiki's before.

Lodewijk
Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]
No, the logo has to be "Image:Wiki.png" therefore it can only be on the wiki
itself.

Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]

Actually, no. See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgLogo

--
Sam
Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]
Touché.

Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the messages offering to help. I'm handing the role
over to Craig Spurrier, who is responsible for the print edition of
the English Wikinews and has been putting it out like clockwork. This
will, I hope, ensure that new language edition requests for Wikinews
will also be handled reliably. Thanks, Craig, for your help in this.

Craig, one amendment to my original request: Instead of filing the
site requests in BugZilla, could you use
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages
once a language has met the necessary approval? This will allow
developers to set up new languages as a batch.

I've been discussing with members of the language subcommittee how we
can improve the process in general and will hopefully find time to
write some thoughts on the issue soon. Ideally at some point we will
have a Grand Unified Language Policy (GULP) but we're still quite a
bit away from that. ;-)

Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]
--- Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Ideally at
> some point we will
> have a Grand Unified Language Policy (GULP) but
> we're still quite a
> bit away from that. ;-)
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik

I hope you are talking about mininum launch
requirements and not some top-down bureaucracy
independent of the projects.

Birgitte

Birgitte

Re: Wikinews language coordinator needed [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Thanks for all the messages offering to help. I'm handing the role
> over to Craig Spurrier, who is responsible for the print edition of
> the English Wikinews and has been putting it out like clockwork. This
> will, I hope, ensure that new language edition requests for Wikinews
> will also be handled reliably. Thanks, Craig, for your help in this.

To clarify (once more), Craig is simply a volunteer who has committed
to looking at the Wikinews language page and the status of the
requests, and move them from one page to another. This is not an
official position or anything like that. Anyone else can help, too,
but it's good to have at least one person who pledges to do so on a
regular basis.