Mailing List Archive

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/06, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Whether we are talking about companies or fictitious islands, I do not
> believe "block, nuke, and salt the Earth more aggressively!" is the
> answer. That's partially because blocking is a very, very flawed tool
> (it's very easy to circumvent), and "hard" security measures in a
> fundamentally open environment tend to only inspire people to find
> clever ways to circumvent them and to make themselves even more of a
> PITA than they already are. Of course we should block individuals
> where appropriate, but I'm not convinced that increasing the amount of
> blocking and nuking is going to help us much right now.

Yes.

Danny, Brad: please understand that making up a new special rule every
time there's a new problem is a *really bad* thing to do.

Ad hoc rules are where instruction creep comes from. This leads to a
confusing and incoherent thicket of rules that no-one can make sense
of. Special cases make bad law.

I had a press interview with the Daily Telegraph on Friday. A large
chunk of that was him telling me how confusing our bureaucracy already
was to newcomers. Please don't make it even worse.

(Main article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:PRO )

- d.
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It would be really nice if we had a single
> > recentchanges page that
> > aggregated all the low activity wikis.

> I think this is a great idea. Is it possible to set
> up several RC bots (in different wiki's) to work in a
> single RC channel?

There's an RSS feed for RC, isn't there? Aggregating RSS feeds is easy.

- d.
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
This is not a problem. The existing pgkbot IRC monitoring framework already
allows each bot to report to multiple channels simultaneously, so a bot
could report to its "home" channel, as well as to a centralized channel, if
needs warrant. This data is already being broadcast on Wikimedia's IRC
server, so there isn't anything to modify server-side. All that you need is
poke a few users on IRC to change their bots' settings.

Titoxd.