Problem is, there is no such place.

Hmmm.

Danny
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Let's mkae a new speedy criterion: if there's no sources, nuke it. With
fire.

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 9/30/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's mkae a new speedy criterion: if there's no sources, nuke it. With
> fire.
>
> On 9/30/06, daniwo59@aol.com <daniwo59@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have just deleted an article, [[Porchesia]]. Any admins are welcome to
> > read the history. It was created in November.
> >
> > Problem is, there is no such place.
> >
> > Hmmm.
> >
> > Danny

Are you suggesting that this is the proper solution to any
{{unsourced}} article?

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 9/30/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's mkae a new speedy criterion: if there's no sources, nuke it. With
> fire.

Most of our articles do not have sources. Even the extream
deletionists would regard that standard as unreasonable.

--
geni
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Well, if we make it a new criterion, we shouldn't apply it retroactively. I
understand there was a time when sources didn't mean as much.

As for the unsourced articles that currently exist, we could do some very
long PROD deal with it -- articles tagged as having zero sources have three
months to get at least ONE SOURCE for any part of the article before it
qualifies for speedy. That's a generous amount of time.

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 9/30/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's mkae a new speedy criterion: if there's no sources, nuke it. With
> fire.

'''Porchesia''' is an island off the coast of [[Syria]] and
[[Lebanon]]. It is ruled by Lebanese government. [1]

[1] Cassidy, Daniel. Porchesia: History of a Little-Known Island. Los
Angeles: Cambridge and Boston Press, 2005.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
We should before we want to even consider policies whereby sources are
required consider what it would do to other projects. Many of the other
projects do not have the maturity to follow the lead of the English
Wikipedia they do not have sufficient content and burdening the content
creation with this zeal would put a damper on the creation of new
content. The idea that the English language sources are universally good
is problematic as well.

We should also consider how much work it is to source all the unsourced
articles. I assume that the amount of time involved is such that it is
not even feasible to source all English articles that do not have
sources in half a year. When an article has one source, it does not
follow that the article is sufficiently sourced. Uncompletely sourced
articles are as bad or worse than articles that have not been sourced at
all.

I am afraid I could not disagree with you more.

Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On Sat, September 30, 2006 19:35, daniwo59@aol.com wrote:
> I have just deleted an article, [[Porchesia]]. Any admins are welcome to
> read the history. It was created in November.

As a comparison, something that got dealt with earlier this year - where
there were inbound and outbound links but nobody (ie no regular editor)
had taken a look at the article;
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gransha&direction=prev&oldid=50468866

This became the subject of a media event in Northern Ireland when the
local politician discovered that - according to us - he was in the middle
of a major terrorist area. In fact it was and remains a very quiet area;
the article had basically been created and edited to extremes by local
schoolkids, but because it wasn't on anyone's watchlist it didn't get
'caught'.

The issue is, if an article survives the 10-30 minutes it remains on 'new
articles' it is likely to stick around unless you happen across it while
taking a random-article-walk. How we deal with articles 'getting away from
us' like the Gransha one did though I do not know ...

Alison Wheeler
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
I do agree with Gerad's ideas, but I also think this
is not the place to be discussing what en.WP speedy
deletion criteria should or should not be. I have
heard en.WP has an entire mailing list all to itself.

Birgitte SB

--Gerad's message--

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Yeah... I was wondering meself why Danny posted this English Wikipedia info
on the Foundation List.

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Does it matter? Can we just end the thread without
pinning the blame on anyone. It is not just this one
thread, I had just noticed the en.WP conversations on
a major increase lately.

Birgitte SB

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 9/30/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does it matter? Can we just end the thread without
> pinning the blame on anyone. It is not just this one
> thread, I had just noticed the en.WP conversations on
> a major increase lately.

Rather than dismissing the discussion why not tell those of us less
connected with the other language wikis how this problem has been
completely solved [1] on those subprojects.

(1) I must assume that this is totally solved everywhere except enwiki
for you to be claiming that this thread is an offtopic enwiki only
matter.
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
en.WP is the biggest WP that's why there is such a "problem". Smaller
WP feel less need for speedy deletion and could handle this kind of
articles with standard afd procedure.

(Still this thread should belong to wikipedia-l as it's a WP matter
not a foundation matter.)

--Lorenzarius

--
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
Tel: +852 95825791
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 9/30/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Does it matter? Can we just end the thread without
>> pinning the blame on anyone. It is not just this one
>> thread, I had just noticed the en.WP conversations on
>> a major increase lately.
>>

> Rather than dismissing the discussion why not tell those of us less
> connected with the other language wikis how this problem has been
> completely solved [1] on those subprojects.
>

> (1) I must assume that this is totally solved everywhere except enwiki
> for you to be claiming that this thread is an offtopic enwiki only
> matter.
Hoi,
For this to be relevant, there are two other mailing list that are more
oportune: the en-wikipedia-l and the wikipedia-l. This list is the
foundation list and the subject matter is hardly relevant for those who
do not want to get swamped here with things that are too project specific.
Thanks,
GerardM
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
--- Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/30/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Does it matter? Can we just end the thread
> without
> > pinning the blame on anyone. It is not just this
> one
> > thread, I had just noticed the en.WP conversations
> on
> > a major increase lately.
>
> Rather than dismissing the discussion why not tell
> those of us less
> connected with the other language wikis how this
> problem has been
> completely solved [1] on those subprojects.
>

> (1) I must assume that this is totally solved
> everywhere except enwiki
> for you to be claiming that this thread is an
> offtopic enwiki only
> matter.

The discussion of a specific aspect of en,WP's speedy
deletion policy should not happen at foundation-l.
Communities make their own policies. If someone wants
compare and contrast policies from diferent
communities here that is fine. Or even discuss more
generally how problems are handled. But that is *not*
what was happening and the thread was well-developed.
However if no else objects to developing en.WP
policies I will say no more about it.

Birgitte SB

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
While I generally agree with Birgitte, I have to take exception here.
Porchesia appeared on one of our projects for ten months. It was caught quite by
accident, when someone pointed it out to me. This raises an important issue,
relevant to all major languages and projects--what are we doing to ensure the
veracity of the information we provide. This is especially relevant, given the
other discussion about spamming, which Brad raised. If we can have a fake
island with 300,000 imaginary people get through for ten months, we can
certainly have a fake company get through for 10 months. This company can even get
people to read up on them and take their money. And if you look the company up,
it is on Wikipedia, Answers, and any other mirror. This is a serious
problem. Wikipedia provides credibility.

There are two problems with this. Both are, in my mind, serious ethical
issues.

1. Given our size and reputation, we are in the process of transforming from
a medium that reports fact to a medium that can, potentially, create fact.
Colbert and the elephants is symptomatic of that (for people who don't know the
reference, see Jimmy's opening remarks at Wikimania). In the particular case
of Porchesia, someone has just argued on the mailing list that it should be
kept because it is now an internet meme. The fact that it has been on
Wikipedia for ten months ensures that
(_http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-October/054735.html_
(http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-October/054735.html) ). This is worrying. Are we now reporting on what we
report? Where do we draw the line between reporting information and creating
information? I believe that this issue is sufficiently serious to warrant
discussion among all Wikimedia participants, not just the people on WP:EN.

2. The second issue is more sinister. Several months ago we received a call
in the office from a major police agency. Someone created a false identity
and used it to extract money from unsuspecting victims. When people questioned
how important he was, they were told, "Just look me up on Wikipedia." Were
the people who gave him money stupid? Yes. So are the people who answer tragic
emails telling them that their long lost but fabulously wealthy relatives
were killed in car crash in Togo. And yet, people continue to answer those
emails. The article on EN was quietly deleted, the man was likely arrested, but
the problem remains. Given our position and the respect we receive, Wikipedia
in all languages is an open target for spammers and con artists. I believe
that this is also an issue that should be addressed by the larger community, and
not just limited to WP:EN.

There is a tension between accuracy and openness. Citizendium and
Everything2 are two extreme answers to that tension. If, however, we are to maintain
both, we must address the tension when it occurs. We must come up with creative
solutions. And that is something that involves more than just the English
Wikipedia.

Danny
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
WikiMedia isn't only WikiPedia. I'm on wikibreak in anothers wikis and now
edit only in Wikisource. I can't find any problem with encyclopedic articles
because my home wiki is intended to host only primary sources.

English Wikipedia have your on mailing list and wikipedia-l is intended to
be a mailing list for global issues on Wikipedia projects. The
question of credibility
is relevant to all Wikimedia projects, but attempts in talk about
encyclopedia credibility is not relevant to all Wikimedia projects.

[[:m:User:555]]

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/06, daniwo59@aol.com <daniwo59@aol.com> wrote:
> While I generally agree with Birgitte, I have to take exception here.
> Porchesia appeared on one of our projects for ten months. It was caught quite by
> accident, when someone pointed it out to me. This raises an important issue,
> relevant to all major languages and projects--what are we doing to ensure the
> veracity of the information we provide. This is especially relevant, given the
> other discussion about spamming, which Brad raised. If we can have a fake
> island with 300,000 imaginary people get through for ten months, we can
> certainly have a fake company get through for 10 months. This company can even get
> people to read up on them and take their money. And if you look the company up,
> it is on Wikipedia, Answers, and any other mirror. This is a serious
> problem. Wikipedia provides credibility.

[snip]

> Given our position and the respect we receive, Wikipedia
> in all languages is an open target for spammers and con artists. I believe
> that this is also an issue that should be addressed by the larger community, and
> not just limited to WP:EN.

The thing is, there is no larger community. The foundation consists
essentially of the board, with a few hundred people giving advice and
voting on a minority of the board membership. Management and
membership of the foundation is almost completely separate from
management and membership of en.wp or any of the other projects. The
membership of the projects, it seems, wants to keep it this way. I
get the sense that we don't, for the most part, want the foundation
coming in and micromanaging things.

> There is a tension between accuracy and openness.

Are you sure about this? I thought the whole point of Wikipedia was
that accuracy and openness were *not* in conflict. I thought I
remembered Jimmy Wales bragging about how Wikipedia kept getting more
open - does that mean it was also getting less accurate?

If there really is a tension between accuracy and openness, then it's
quite clear which side we want to be on. Openness, after all, is
merely a means to an end. With that in mind, in what ways do you
suggest making the Wikimedia projects less open?

Anthony
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
In a message dated 10/1/2006 10:09:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wikilegal@inbox.org writes:

If there really is a tension between accuracy and openness, then it's
quite clear which side we want to be on. Openness, after all, is
merely a means to an end. With that in mind, in what ways do you
suggest making the Wikimedia projects less open?

To quote you in your response to Brad. "Please don't
misrepresent my position."

Danny

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Please excuse me, Gerad, for paroding your response to
my conncerns a few weeks ago below.

/parody

Most of the new page patrolers are volunteers. There
is certainly too much work in
the first place. It is a stellar performance what so
few people do with so
little investment.

Their first priority is to watch out for libel,
combine this with
the growth that we experience this is a big job. There
are several big jobs
that have been postponed time and again for many many
months (OK I don't know en.WP well enough to know what
these jobs are but surely these patrolers have to-do
list they haven't been able to get to).

When you find yourself another editor to patrol new
pages for you, it does not mean that
they will catch everything; the only thing achieved is
that you are
closer to getting it all. This is not to say that the
patrolling is busted,
it is that your expectations are not compatible with
reality.

/end parody

/sarcasm
Perhaps you should just adjust your expectations to
the reality of wiki and realize evetually this stuff
will be found (or maybe it won't) But just be patient
and realize people are doing their best and they will
eventually get to the articles you are concerned with.
/end sarcasm

I honestly don't know the answer to your problem
Danny. I do wonder whether you tried addressing this
on the wikipedia-l list and came here only after
getting an unsatifactory respose there. But you
should know better than to come to this list for
*solutions*. And so should I for that matter.

But what I really want to say is this. I think these
people in the larger Wikimedia community, whose help
you want coming up with creative solutions. I think
these people will be caring a great deal more to help
you with en.WP's problem when they start recieving
help with their own problems. Here is a very
incompetet list of questions/problems which did not
recieve the help looked for here.

*Wikibooks: How do develop policy to disallow
"unethical manual" (i.e. How to commit a crime)

*Wikibooks: (and many others) Information on
trademarks and how to correctly reprint Wikimedia
material because of trademarks.

*Wikibooks: Is Wikimedia a publisher per the GFDL?

*ru.WP: What does the WMF require/recommend a bare
minumum for Verifiability policy?

*general: when will we have new steward eletions?

*Wikiversity: NPOV & academic freedom for research

*hu.WP: The Foudation's position on non-free images

*nl.WP: MAny internal fights they seem to have
problems handling

*general: Foundation position on logo derivatives

All these things and many more were brought up on this
list by someone looking for help. No clear solutions
was arrrived at on this list. I hope the problems
were solved off-list in the original projects that
asked them. There are more people at en.WP itself
capable of solving "Porchesia" than there are on this
list. You should be talking to the people who
actually do new pages patrol and asking them what they
need to do a better job.

Birgitte SB

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/06, daniwo59@aol.com <daniwo59@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 10/1/2006 10:09:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> wikilegal@inbox.org writes:
>
> If there really is a tension between accuracy and openness, then it's
> quite clear which side we want to be on. Openness, after all, is
> merely a means to an end. With that in mind, in what ways do you
> suggest making the Wikimedia projects less open?
>

> To quote you in your response to Brad. "Please don't
> misrepresent my position."
>
> Danny

Feel free to explain how I misrepresented your position. Do you feel
that the quote "There is a tension between accuracy and openness." is
taken out of context? Do you feel that openness is more than just a
means to an end?

If you'd instead like to retract your statement that "There is a
tension between accuracy and openness.", that's fine too. It
certainly doesn't seem to fit in with your employer's position.

Anthony
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> For this to be relevant, there are two other mailing list that are more
> oportune: the en-wikipedia-l and the wikipedia-l. This list is the
> foundation list and the subject matter is hardly relevant for those who
> do not want to get swamped here with things that are too project specific.

I think it is odd that you don't think that another example of a
Wikimedia wiki distributing a hoax unchecked for months is
uninteresting.

Yes, the enwiki speedy deletion aspects of the thread were offtopic,
but it's rare that we have a thread which runs without offtopic
interjections.

In any case, I think this is interesting at a global level because the
Wiki's at greatest risk of collecting garbage are often the ones with
the least activity.

After seeing that one of the Wikipedias had its main page changed to
say "Welcome to the Runescape trading forum", I wondered if it would
be useful to setup a bot to check recent changes on all the smaller
wikis for insertions of English text. .. With the hope that the worst
of the junk on small wikis would be in inappropriate languages.

It would be really nice if we had a single recentchanges page that
aggregated all the low activity wikis.
Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
--- Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> In any case, I think this is interesting at a global
> level because the
> Wiki's at greatest risk of collecting garbage are
> often the ones with
> the least activity.
>
> After seeing that one of the Wikipedias had its main
> page changed to
> say "Welcome to the Runescape trading forum", I
> wondered if it would
> be useful to setup a bot to check recent changes on
> all the smaller
> wikis for insertions of English text. .. With the
> hope that the worst
> of the junk on small wikis would be in inappropriate
> languages.
>
> It would be really nice if we had a single
> recentchanges page that
> aggregated all the low activity wikis.

I think this is a great idea. Is it possible to set
up several RC bots (in different wiki's) to work in a
single RC channel? If this could be done with the
bots displaying a snippet of any added text, it should
be easy to recognize any english which does not
belong.

Birgitte SB

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
Another thing we could do is get something like Tawkerbot2 (for those who
don't know, Tawkerbot2 is the most prolific anti-vandal bot) and have it set
up for all those tiny, pathetic wikis.

Re: Porchesia [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/06, daniwo59@aol.com <daniwo59@aol.com> wrote:
> There is a tension between accuracy and openness. Citizendium and
> Everything2 are two extreme answers to that tension. If, however, we are to maintain
> both, we must address the tension when it occurs. We must come up with creative
> solutions. And that is something that involves more than just the English
> Wikipedia.

I do agree. I think we have to come to a shared understanding (which
includes our readers) that wikis are open workspaces, and we need to
define clear processes by which content can gradually (!) reach the
state of being a verified, reliable encyclopedia article, textbook, or
whatever. Porchesia is merely a good, fairly value-neutral example of
a general problem.

If the article about Porchesia had told me, as a reader, in no
uncertain terms that the content has undergone no verification
whatsoever and could be complete bollocks, whereas the article about,
say, Albert Einstein, has undergone verification for sources,
comprehensiveness, neutrality, and so on, then I would be much more
comfortable with the current model. The fact is that, with the
exception of a very small number of articles, we put rubbish on the
same level as elaborate work that has continued for several months,
and that is a disservice both to our readers and to our community.

Whether we are talking about companies or fictitious islands, I do not
believe "block, nuke, and salt the Earth more aggressively!" is the
answer. That's partially because blocking is a very, very flawed tool
(it's very easy to circumvent), and "hard" security measures in a
fundamentally open environment tend to only inspire people to find
clever ways to circumvent them and to make themselves even more of a
PITA than they already are. Of course we should block individuals
where appropriate, but I'm not convinced that increasing the amount of
blocking and nuking is going to help us much right now.

I do believe "identify, label and improve more systematically!" is the
way to go. In this process, we need to not only have a "gold standard"
of articles which we strive for, but should also make the entire
process of article review more transparent and participatory. We may
not have a "featured revision" for each article, but at least we
should have a "best known available" one, and make it clear what
exactly has and has not been done.

As is typical in such cases, the article on Porchesia was copyedited
before it was discovered to be a hoax. That someone chose to copyedit
it should not be held against them; it's perfectly fine that people
work in the areas where they are strong. Some people love fixing typos
or adding category metadata, no matter how many quality initiatives we
launch. However, that it was _only_ copyedited and not fact-checked
could have been made clear to the reader.

For some further thoughts on this, see:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence/WikiQA

I believe that the problem of developing a collaborative, scalable,
functional quality annotation model for wikis is as complex as all the
work that we've done so far. Nor is this problem limited to certain
areas, like companies or living people. It's just that inaccurate
articles, vandalism and hoaxes hurt us more in some areas than in
others.

This problem is not going to be solved by writing a couple of software
features. It needs a long term, ongoing collaboration of interested
developers and Wikimedians. And you are absolutely correct that this
is not an en.wp issue, but a Foundation issue. I will have a
discussion about this with members of the Technical Team once the very
important and pressing need of single login is finally resolved.