Mailing List Archive

California E. Coli Epidemic Reaches Wikipedia Community
My 2 year old son, Alexej Martin Merkey, was admitted to Primary
Childrens Hospital in Salt lake City this afternoon in
Serious condition due to our family (and others in Utah) getting exposed
to this virulent strain of E. Coli from California
on contaminated Spinach. We had some of this crap in our house and
alexej ate a some of it, as did my wife and I.
They have 14 cases here at present of children 2 and under, and one of
them has died (from Idaho).

Alexej's photo is here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmerkey if
folks don't know who he is.

Alexej's platelet count was at 83 which is very high (most of them are
below 20 due to the damage caused by the toxins from this strain) and
they feel he will pull through, but his kidneys were having problems
late this evening and they told me they might have to put him on
dialasys over the weekend. He was not feeling too well, and its always
rough for a 2 year old to have to go through something like this. They
tell me the entero-toxins from this virulent strain of E. Coli cause a
lot of damage and the next two days will be bad for him.

Both my wife and I appear to also have been infected, but since we are
adults, out systems dealt with it more effectively.

Bottom line, DONT BUY OR EAT ANY SPINACH FROM CALIFORNIA FOR NOW.

All my love. Hopefully, he will home soon.

Jeff

Re: California E. Coli Epidemic Reaches Wikipedia Community [ In reply to ]
I hope your son get through with no bad memories. My thoughts are with you.

Ant

Re: California E. Coli Epidemic Reaches Wikipedia Community [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey,

very sorry to hear this. Thinking of you, and hope your son gets well.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik
Re: California E. Coli Epidemic Reaches Wikipedia Community [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>My 2 year old son, Alexej Martin Merkey, was admitted to Primary
>Childrens Hospital in Salt lake City this afternoon in
>Serious condition due to our family (and others in Utah) getting exposed
>to this virulent strain of E. Coli from California
>on contaminated Spinach. We had some of this crap in our house and
>alexej ate a some of it, as did my wife and I.

(snip)

>Both my wife and I appear to also have been infected, but since we are
>adults, out systems dealt with it more effectively.
>
>Bottom line, DONT BUY OR EAT ANY SPINACH FROM CALIFORNIA FOR NOW.
>
>All my love. Hopefully, he will home soon.
>
>Jeff

Of course we all hear about this kind of problem on the news, but it's
not the same when you can put a personal face on it.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in hoping that Alexej will soon be home to
give his parents a healthy bout of the terrible twos. We also look
forward to his edits in a few years.

Best of luck!

Ray