Mailing List Archive

GFDL conflicting with transfer of content?
In Wikipedia we have sometimes the transfer of content among
different projects Wikipedia <--> Wikisource, Wikipedia <-->
Wikinews, Wikipedia <--> Wiktionary for example.

I don't know very well the status of all wikipedia but I am
following my personal experience.

But this usage is in in conflict with GFDL?

I could read here http://en.wikisource.
org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License some points which are not
respected like:

1.Preserve the section Entitled "History"....
2.Preserve the network location...

and so on.

IMHO it's possible to transfer but the original version must remain
in its original place (in this case it's a simple copy) or the
transfer is possible respecting some rules for example the transfer
of all history, of list of all author and maybe with agreement of
them.

If an article is transfered without taking care of all point listed
in the GFDL could an author request the reintegration of the article
in the original place? IMHO it is in its own rights!

Also the transfer of an article from a project in another is not
valid if the original place has got a place card who redirect at new
place where there is a modified version (adding also the lost of
history due to the transfer)!

What is your suggestion?

I ask because in a Wikipedia some people vote for transfer of some
articles which are accepted by the community in a previous call for
cancellation. In other words the article which are not cancelled
after some days are proposed for transfer.

Ilario

Re: GFDL conflicting with transfer of content? [ In reply to ]
On 9/20/06, valdelli@bluemail.ch <valdelli@bluemail.ch> wrote:

> In Wikipedia we have sometimes the transfer of content among
> different projects Wikipedia <--> Wikisource, Wikipedia <-->
> Wikinews, Wikipedia <--> Wiktionary for example.
>
> I don't know very well the status of all wikipedia but I am
> following my personal experience.
>
> But this usage is in in conflict with GFDL?
>
> I could read here http://en.wikisource.
> org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License some points which are not
> respected like:
>
> 1.Preserve the section Entitled "History"....
> 2.Preserve the network location...
>
> and so on.
>
> IMHO it's possible to transfer but the original version must remain
> in its original place (in this case it's a simple copy) or the
> transfer is possible respecting some rules for example the transfer
> of all history, of list of all author and maybe with agreement of
> them.
>
> If an article is transfered without taking care of all point listed
> in the GFDL could an author request the reintegration of the article
> in the original place? IMHO it is in its own rights!

In Wikipedia > Wikisource transactions, not necessarily. If a text is in
public domain, no reason to keep original credits for a cut-and-paste action
(IMHO).

Also the transfer of an article from a project in another is not
> valid if the original place has got a place card who redirect at new
> place where there is a modified version (adding also the lost of
> history due to the transfer)!
>
> What is your suggestion?

Stop manual transwikis and use only Special:Import method.

Re: GFDL conflicting with transfer of content? [ In reply to ]
--- Luiz Augusto <lugusto@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/06, valdelli@bluemail.ch
> <valdelli@bluemail.ch> wrote:
> >
> > In Wikipedia we have sometimes the transfer of
> content among
> > different projects Wikipedia <--> Wikisource,
> Wikipedia <-->
> > Wikinews, Wikipedia <--> Wiktionary for example.
> >
> > I don't know very well the status of all wikipedia
> but I am
> > following my personal experience.
> >
> > But this usage is in in conflict with GFDL?
> >
> > I could read here http://en.wikisource.
> > org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License some
> points which are not
> > respected like:
> >
> > 1.Preserve the section Entitled "History"....
> > 2.Preserve the network location...
> >
> > and so on.
> >
> > IMHO it's possible to transfer but the original
> version must remain
> > in its original place (in this case it's a simple
> copy) or the
> > transfer is possible respecting some rules for
> example the transfer
> > of all history, of list of all author and maybe
> with agreement of
> > them.
> >
> > If an article is transfered without taking care of
> all point listed
> > in the GFDL could an author request the
> reintegration of the article
> > in the original place? IMHO it is in its own
> rights!
>

> In Wikipedia > Wikisource transactions, not
> necessarily. If a text is in
> public domain, no reason to keep original credits
> for a cut-and-paste action
> (IMHO).
>
> Also the transfer of an article from a project in
> another is not
> > valid if the original place has got a place card
> who redirect at new
> > place where there is a modified version (adding
> also the lost of
> > history due to the transfer)!
> >
> > What is your suggestion?
>

> Stop manual transwikis and use only Special:Import
> method.

Does this take care of point number 2 as well as
address the history issue? I don't really understand
what is meant by point 2.

I agree that this is not a problem with purely PD
works.

Birgitte SB

Re: GFDL conflicting with transfer of content? [ In reply to ]
GFDL does not mean you have to keep the content at that
location/address forever; it means that whenever you use content --
for isntance on ws after moving it from wp -- you have to attribute
the source properly. Copying the entire history from wp onto the talk
page of the target on ws would be a comprehensive way to do this. You
can probably get away with only copying the names of 5 of the original
authors... but why go half way?

Yes, sometimes things up for deletion get transwikied. Not sure that
any content has a 'right' to be somewhere, but a project can set
policies about what consensus is needed to remove sth to another
project... a case for setting clearer policies, perhaps especially
with regard to wikisource.

SJ

On 9/20/06, valdelli@bluemail.ch <valdelli@bluemail.ch> wrote:
> In Wikipedia we have sometimes the transfer of content among
> different projects Wikipedia <--> Wikisource, Wikipedia <-->
> Wikinews, Wikipedia <--> Wiktionary for example.
>
> I don't know very well the status of all wikipedia but I am
> following my personal experience.
>
> But this usage is in in conflict with GFDL?
>
> I could read here http://en.wikisource.
> org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License some points which are not
> respected like:
>
> 1.Preserve the section Entitled "History"....
> 2.Preserve the network location...
>
> and so on.
>
> IMHO it's possible to transfer but the original version must remain
> in its original place (in this case it's a simple copy) or the
> transfer is possible respecting some rules for example the transfer
> of all history, of list of all author and maybe with agreement of
> them.
>
> If an article is transfered without taking care of all point listed
> in the GFDL could an author request the reintegration of the article
> in the original place? IMHO it is in its own rights!
>
> Also the transfer of an article from a project in another is not
> valid if the original place has got a place card who redirect at new
> place where there is a modified version (adding also the lost of
> history due to the transfer)!
>
> What is your suggestion?
>
> I ask because in a Wikipedia some people vote for transfer of some
> articles which are accepted by the community in a previous call for
> cancellation. In other words the article which are not cancelled
> after some days are proposed for transfer.
>
> Ilario

++SJ
Re: GFDL conflicting with transfer of content? [ In reply to ]
On 9/21/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> GFDL does not mean you have to keep the content at that
> location/address forever; it means that whenever you use content --
> for isntance on ws after moving it from wp -- you have to attribute
> the source properly.

(though the fact that deletion / migration happens means book
publishers might want to host their own digital copies of their
excerpts in addition to linking back.)

sj.