Mailing List Archive

Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l
Sanger has made his first post to the Citizendium list:

https://lists.purdue.edu/pipermail/citizendium-l/2006-September/000000.html

Select quotes and a bit of commentary:

"I have a suggestion from someone very high up in the Creative Commons
organization that we should dual-license (CC and GFDL), which I simply
hadn't thought of. I'm inclined to think it's a good idea."

I'd like to know how that would be compatible with working from
Wikipedia content.

"Speaking of naysayers, sure there have been a few on the blogosphere,
but what was especially striking to me is that Wikimedia's lawyer and
chief engineer both have said nothing but encouraging things to us.
How wonderfully refreshing of them! And huge numbers of people on
Slashdot and elsewhere have come out saying that this is a good idea,
and that we have every right to do it."

Well, of course! That's what the "free content" bit is for, and I'm
interested in seeing how well this one works. I'd actually like to see
more projects coming from people who want to differ on some
fundamental point; Wikinfo is perhaps the best go at this so far.

"Personally, "Citizendium" rolls right off my tongue."

OK, that part I find hard to believe. :-)

-Kat

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage | G/AIM:LucidWaking
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net | email for phone
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
Kat,

This guy is crazier than I am (hard to believe). He is attempting to
trade on Wikimedia's goodwill to
create publicity. This could get very down and dirty. Best thing is to
restrict discussions to the chat rooms
to avoid leaving trails of bread crumbs for him to read on this list.
That's his intent, to create controversy
and generate publicity. Be assured, he may start airing dirty laundry in
public if momentun is not
forthcoming.

I would give some humble advice to deprive him of the forum to do so
(unless he wants to visit the chat room).

:-)

Jeff

Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

Brion,

Hope things are going well, Please delete my last post on this thread
from the archives if possible. Kat and I have taken the discussions off
list. I was
attempting to just respond to Kat OFFLIST and for some reason this
posting ended up on the list.

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-September/010065.html

Love Ya,

Thanks

Jeff
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
On 9/18/06, Kat Walsh <mindspillage@gmail.com> wrote:
> "I have a suggestion from someone very high up in the Creative Commons
> organization that we should dual-license (CC and GFDL), which I simply
> hadn't thought of. I'm inclined to think it's a good idea."
>
> I'd like to know how that would be compatible with working from
> Wikipedia content.

You lisence everything under the GFDL and any chnages under CC as
well. This is completely useless because you have to follow the GFDL
anyway but thats life.

--
geni
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
> You lisence everything under the GFDL and any chnages under CC as
> well. This is completely useless because you have to follow the GFDL
> anyway but thats life.

If a text is completely licensed under the GFDL and the CC (every
author has agreed to this dual-license), you have the right to copy it
under just one license. A soft GFDL to CC transistion of Wikipedia
could be achieved by a dual-license strategy.

Mathias
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
On 18/09/06, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You lisence everything under the GFDL and any chnages under CC as
> > well. This is completely useless because you have to follow the GFDL
> > anyway but thats life.

> If a text is completely licensed under the GFDL and the CC (every
> author has agreed to this dual-license), you have the right to copy it
> under just one license. A soft GFDL to CC transistion of Wikipedia
> could be achieved by a dual-license strategy.

Yeah. Quite a few Wikipedia editors dual-licence their stuff anyway.

- d.
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
On 9/18/06, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You lisence everything under the GFDL and any chnages under CC as
> > well. This is completely useless because you have to follow the GFDL
> > anyway but thats life.
>
> If a text is completely licensed under the GFDL and the CC (every
> author has agreed to this dual-license), you have the right to copy it
> under just one license. A soft GFDL to CC transistion of Wikipedia
> could be achieved by a dual-license strategy.
>
> Mathias

It's been tried. A combination of hold outs and all those one off
contributers make it unlikely to be effected.

--
geni
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:47:42AM -0600, Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
> Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>
> Brion,
>
> Hope things are going well, Please delete my last post on this thread
> from the archives if possible. Kat and I have taken the discussions off
> list. I was
> attempting to just respond to Kat OFFLIST and for some reason this
> posting ended up on the list.
>
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-September/010065.html

While the post might be removable from the archives, it's still in many people's
mailboxes. You might want to be more careful posting to a public list in
future.

sincerely,
Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key FEF9DD72
Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
On 9/18/06, Kim Bruning <kim@bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:47:42AM -0600, Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
> > Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
> >
> > Brion,
> >
> > Hope things are going well, Please delete my last post on this thread
> > from the archives if possible. Kat and I have taken the discussions off
> > list. I was
> > attempting to just respond to Kat OFFLIST and for some reason this
> > posting ended up on the list.
> >
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-September/010065.html
>
> While the post might be removable from the archives, it's still in many people's
> mailboxes. You might want to be more careful posting to a public list in
> future.

Not only that, it might also be in mail archives (e.g. Gmane), and
search engine caches (Google)...
Michael

Re: Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l [ In reply to ]
Michael Bimmler wrote:

>On 9/18/06, Kim Bruning <kim@bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:47:42AM -0600, Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>>

>>>Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>>>
>>>Brion,
>>>
>>>Hope things are going well, Please delete my last post on this thread
>>>from the archives if possible. Kat and I have taken the discussions off
>>>list. I was
>>>attempting to just respond to Kat OFFLIST and for some reason this
>>>posting ended up on the list.
>>>
>>>http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-September/010065.html
>>>

>>While the post might be removable from the archives, it's still in many people's
>>mailboxes. You might want to be more careful posting to a public list in
>>future.
>>

>Not only that, it might also be in mail archives (e.g. Gmane), and
>search engine caches (Google)...
>Michael
>

>>sincerely,
>> Kim Bruning
>>
>>--
>>[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
>>gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key FEF9DD72
>>5ED6 E215 73EE AD84 E03A 01C5 94AC 7B0E FEF9 DD72

I'll be more careful with the reply button in the future.

Jeff