on the same hierarchical level as the German-speaking version.

Where is the universal principle of verifiability codified and defined?

Christopher
Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
On 15/09/06, Christoph Seydl <Christoph.Seydl@students.jku.at> wrote:

> Where is the universal principle of verifiability codified and defined?

It *should* be on Meta at [[m:Foundation issues]]. I'm not clear on
why it isn't.

I suggest to you that if you try doing it otherwise on German
Wikipedia, you will likely soon be informed of the error of your ways.

- d.
Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
> Where is the universal principle of verifiability codified and defined?

unfortunate, it is absent.

Even "5 pillars" are not the conventional rule (for example, in the
Russian project the fifth item has not been accepted/approved)

On Meta there is only a policy against original researches

See my post about failure of verifiability policy in Russian Wikipedia
in wikipedia maillist.

--
Amike kaj kunlabore,
Alexander Sigachov
Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
Christoph Seydl wrote:

>Well, I found some statements in the English Wikipedia-version, but no
>undoubted source above it. The English-speaking Wikipedia is normatively
>on the same hierarchical level as the German-speaking version.
>
>Where is the universal principle of verifiability codified and defined?

Saying that we follow the principle of verifiability should be enough.
When you get too specific, we unfortunately have many people who are
determined to take it to extremes at either end of the scale. Some will
accept the most ephemeral of data as verification, while others will
insist that even the most broadly observed information must '''always'''
show references.

The urgency of verifiability also depends on the nature of the subject
matter. It is broadly accepted that the biographies of living persons
require documentation, especially if what is said about the person can
have negative overtones. Verifying details about fictitious characters
is much less urgent. Another important factor about good verification
is can I go to the source that is mentioned, now or at any time in the
future, and confirm that it says exactly what it is supposed to say.
This need not need to mean that I should be able to find the image
directly on the Net. I may need to travel to look at the book, or
perhaps it is available by interlibrary loan.

Ec

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
Contrary: If the principle of verifiability is not defined in basic
principles, there is always discordance:

* There are people who say that it is just a recommendation to verify
facts. They don't source any fact because they think that footnotes are
ugly. And why checking something if one knows a fact? They say that
footnotes are counterproductive because they suggest an academic
standard which Wikipedia cannot provide; every quote can be faked. They
believe in the self-cleaning process of 100-eye-checks.

* On the other side, there are is the encyclopedia fraction. They say
that every material must be sourced. If there is no published source, it
is not a matter of an encyclopedia. And if something is important, there
is a source. An encyclopedia is about verifiability, not truth. Being
forced to check facts in reliable sourced before adding the material,
improves the quality of Wikipedia because it puts the kibosh on smattering.

* Between these two extremes, there are people who think that sourcing
is important, if is about disputed issues.

Actually, just stating "verifiability is a pillar" is not enough. It can
mean everything and nothing. In reality, not defining verifiability,
supports the "sources-are-only-a-recommendation-I-do-not-like-anyway"
attitude.

Jimbo Wales says: "I can NOT emphasize this enough. There seems to be
a terrible bias among some editors that some sort of random speculative
'I heard it somewhere' pseudo information is to be tagged with a 'needs
a cite' tag. Wrong. It should be removed, aggressively, unless it can be
sourced. This is true of all information, but it is particularly true of
negative information about living persons. I think a fair number of
people need to be kicked out of the project just for being lousy
writers. (This is not a policy statement, just a statement of attitude
and frustration.)"
(http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-May/046433.html)

You see that there is a lot of discordance among Wikipedians. If there
is no policy, there is always dispute how to deal with verifiability.
The question is: Which information has to be sourced? I think that the
verifiability issue should be outlined, if it is a pillar.

/Chris

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
Do You know that not all could be verified and for some points is it
unnecessary the verifiability?

IMHO only disputed article MUST have references and MUST be
supported by verifiability to limit personal opinions and to avoid
the article to become a "drawing room". For other article this choice
could be optional.

In scientific editions all MUST be checked and confirmed by the
authority of others books or researches, but there is a limit... also
the books and researches could make a mistake. If a researcher takes
care extremely on them, he has not chance.

And in any case not all could be found in references... after this
limit we cross in the research and this is this should be hoped
because without the research there is no progress.

The choice is here: Wikipedia looks to be a simple collector of
knowledge (verified and checked) or Wikipedia believes to be opened
also to the new researches?

At end one reflection, when Einstein was producing his new theories
all scientists judged him as a bizarre man also because there was
nothing to support his suppositions... now his suppositions are a
pillar in the Physic. This is a conclusion to display that references
don't assure the certitude and the truth.

There are men who need extreme verifiability and they like to call
themselves as "pragmatic", there are other men who need critic
verifiability to start a journey for new borders, to see over the
first ones.

Ilario

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
2006/9/17, Christoph Seydl <Christoph.Seydl@students.jku.at>:
> Jimbo Wales says: "I can NOT emphasize this enough. There seems to be
> a terrible bias among some editors that some sort of random speculative
> 'I heard it somewhere' pseudo information is to be tagged with a 'needs
> a cite' tag. Wrong. It should be removed, aggressively, unless it can be
> sourced. This is true of all information, but it is particularly true of
> negative information about living persons. I think a fair number of
> people need to be kicked out of the project just for being lousy
> writers. (This is not a policy statement, just a statement of attitude
> and frustration.)"
> (http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-May/046433.html)

But how do you define 'can be sourced'? The only way that you can show
that something can be sourced is by sourcing it. Does this mean that
we should remove all unsourced statements from all articles? If so,
there will be little Wikipedia left. If not, then what do we accept
without source and what not?

--
Andre Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels
Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
I assume that Jimbo means that only material that is verifiable with
reference to reliable, published sources should be used. And if we
remove all unsourced statements, Wikipedia will shrink and grow less
fast. However, there are reliable sources even for the most simple
objects. According to Norstedts svenska ordbok och uppslagsbok, a bucket
is a "cylindrical vessel with a carrying handle for the transport of
liquids sand or the like".

As Jimbo said, several editors will stop contributing, if all material
has to be sourced. At the same time, the motivation to provide sources
will increase, whereas there is almost no motivation to source
statements, if they will not be removed.

No matter how a codification of verifiability will look like, there
should be at least a statement on verifiability at Foundation Issues in
my opinion. There are several options how verifiability can be defined:
- Everything must be sourced, what Jimbo seems to prefer.
- Only critical material (e. g. negative information about living
persons, disputed issues, hard facts, quotes,...) must be sourced.
Statements on everyday objects (cf. bucket example) may not be
sourced.
- Source what you like.
- Abolish sourcing at all.

Chris

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
On 9/17/06, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:

> But how do you define 'can be sourced'? The only way that you can show
> that something can be sourced is by sourcing it. Does this mean that
> we should remove all unsourced statements from all articles? If so,
> there will be little Wikipedia left. If not, then what do we accept
> without source and what not?

There is currently a poll on the German Wikipedia whether new articles
that cite no sources should be deleted:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meinungsbilder/Quellenpflicht_f%C3%BCr_neue_Artikel

The proposal, translated literally: "New articles may only be created
if they cite sources.These citations should be listed in the edit
summary [*] and/or in the article itself. To cite the main sources for
an article, the sections 'Literature' or 'Weblinks' should be used.
(...) New articles without sources can be deleted without further
discussion through a speedy deletion request."

[*] The German Wikipedia calls the standard edit summary field
"Zusammenfassung und Quellen," i.e. "Summary and Sources".

The poll is currently 2:1 against. In this discussion,
[[m:Verifiability]] has been cited to argue that verifiability is, in
fact, not negotiable and that the poll result itself should be
ignored; articles without sources should be deleted anyway. In fact,
one administrator added it to the criteria for speedy deletion already
while the poll was running. I reverted that change, and oppose this
notion of verifiability.

While citing sources is crucial, so is NPOV, and so is the consistency
of the flow of argument within an article. Articles are gradually
improved, and problems are pointed out and identified, to fix them
systematically later. The idea that articles can magically appear as
perfect, feature quality texts is anathema to the wiki principle of
working and contributing in small chunks. I strongly oppose any
foundation-level verifiability policy that would make it impossible to
contribute small pieces of work. I would also suggest reading
Anthere's comments when the French Wikipedia reached 50,000 articles:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikifr-l/2004-August/001911.html

Verifiability, "no original research", and so on, exist as policies to
help us create high quality encyclopedia articles. They are not and
should never be unquestionable dogma. When policy flies in the face of
reason and common sense, policy needs to be questioned, and quite
often, revised. I am frankly disappointed whenever people want to
support their arguments by asking for the help of Jimmy Wales or the
Wikimedia Board. This suggests to me that their arguments are either
wrong, or that they have not spent the effort to make them clear and
understandable.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik
Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
It's simply crazy.

I know that the article [[:de:Wikimedia CH]] has been cancelled in
the past because we are working to have this chapter and it is not
established.

Now Wikimedia CH is alive, it's working, we have a lot of
references, documentation but... the article in german Wikipedia?
It's lost.

I repeat... crazy, absolutely crazy.

Ilario

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
Christoph Seydl wrote:

>Contrary: If the principle of verifiability is not defined in basic
>principles, there is always discordance:

What makes you think that elaborating will eliminate the discord? There
will still be endless argument about what the rules mean.

>* There are people who say that it is just a recommendation to verify
>facts.

In *some* subject areas that is adequate. In other areas fact-checking
should be very strict.

>They don't source any fact because they think that footnotes are
>ugly. And why checking something if one knows a fact? They say that
>footnotes are counterproductive because they suggest an academic
>standard which Wikipedia cannot provide; every quote can be faked. They
>believe in the self-cleaning process of 100-eye-checks.

I'm not arguing against this. I even agree with you that every quote
can be faked; this only strenghthens the view that when quotes are given
a different person should track the quote to make sure that it is as
claimed. Academic standards are built over an extended period of time,
and none of them can ever reach perfection. Clearly we need more
references than none, but there is also the other extreme where people
are challenging fundamental concepts that betray their own lack of
familiarity with the topic. In an article on the basic concepts of a
science it should be enough to show a broad sampling of common textbooks
in the bibliography. The implication is that they all say basically the
same thing, and specific footnotes should only be needed when there is a
difference in the way that each treats the subject. In an article on
climate change a link to a Wikipedia article on the chemistry of
combustion should be enough to establish that burning carbon based fuels
produces carbon dioxide.

>* On the other side, there are is the encyclopedia fraction. They say
>that every material must be sourced. If there is no published source, it
>is not a matter of an encyclopedia. And if something is important, there
>is a source. An encyclopedia is about verifiability, not truth.

This is not disputed. There will continue to be disputes about what
constitutes a valid source, and just what people mean by "published"

>Being
>forced to check facts in reliable sourced before adding the material,
>improves the quality of Wikipedia because it puts the kibosh on smattering.

"Smattering"? The original contributor can only add sources, which he
hopefully does honestly. He cannot be the one checking them; that is
the responsibility of others. Put in terms of the scientific method,
the experiment must be repeatable to the point where any student can
verify the results. When I write about a familar subject I bring a lot
of received wisdom to the table. Some of it may have just seemed obvious
from the way it was explained by a university lecturer; certainly nobody
else that was sitting in the class that day challenged it.

The learner cannot succeed without accepting some responsibility for the
process. When references are so detailed that the reader can absolve
himself of any responsibility for the material then maybe there are too
many.

>* Between these two extremes, there are people who think that sourcing
>is important, if is about disputed issues.

True enough. There is a greater urgency when the matter is disputed,
and disputed issues are plentiful enough to keep many people very busy,
but that is not enough to excuse totally ignoring undisputed material.

>Actually, just stating "verifiability is a pillar" is not enough. It can
>mean everything and nothing.

That is precisely where a pillar draws its strength. Flexible
foundations survive earthquakes better than rigid pillars.

>In reality, not defining verifiability,
>supports the "sources-are-only-a-recommendation-I-do-not-like-anyway"
>attitude.

Not at all. Detailed definitions are a backdoor for imposing Points of
View about verifiability.

>Jimbo Wales says: "I can NOT emphasize this enough. There seems to be
>a terrible bias among some editors that some sort of random speculative
>'I heard it somewhere' pseudo information is to be tagged with a 'needs
>a cite' tag. Wrong. It should be removed, aggressively, unless it can be
>sourced. This is true of all information, but it is particularly true of
>negative information about living persons. I think a fair number of
>people need to be kicked out of the project just for being lousy
>writers. (This is not a policy statement, just a statement of attitude
>and frustration.)"
>(http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-May/046433.html)

The parenthetical portion is especially important. Much of this is a
statement from the heart rather than from the head. Jimbo's
pronouncementscan have strange effects on discussions because they tend
to be extrapolative. Some of them need to be taken with a grain of salt.

There are obvious reasons for taking a hard line about the biographies
of living people. A liberal interpretation of "random speculative ...
pseudo information" as applying to "all information" would paralyse the
entire project. No contributor should be viewed as perfect, but some
latitude needs to be given to those who have long experience in the
subject they are writing about; there is little that is random about
writings.

>You see that there is a lot of discordance among Wikipedians. If there
>is no policy, there is always dispute how to deal with verifiability.
>The question is: Which information has to be sourced? I think that the
>verifiability issue should be outlined, if it is a pillar.

There is indeed a lot of discord about this, but no amount of policy is
going to change that. The first tool for applying a pillar should be
common sense. Without that no other tools will be effective. The level
of verifiability can vary with the subject matter. There should always
be room for the reader to accept his share of the responsibility.

Ec

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>I am frankly disappointed whenever people want to
>support their arguments by asking for the help of Jimmy Wales or the
>Wikimedia Board. This suggests to me that their arguments are either
>wrong, or that they have not spent the effort to make them clear and
>understandable.

I too am disappointed by those requests, but I would draw a more
sinister conclusion. It may have more to do with people being unwilling
to accept responsibility for their own actions. In the [[Milgram
experiment]] the subjects would often turn to the experimenter for
confirmation that they were doing the right thing when the voltage
administered to the "learner" for wrong answers seemed too high. If the
experimenter indicated that he would take responsibility for anything
that might go wrong with the experiment, the subject became willing to
administer potentially fatal voltages in response to wrong answers.

Authority, even benign authority, is antithetical to freedom of
thought, and without free thought there can be neither free speech or
free action. When Jimbo's opinion is sought an appeal to authority is
made. When he answers it diminishes the freedom of the project. It
doesn't matter if his answer is perfectly sensible and logical; it is
enough that it builds a pattern of authority and diminishes the
questioner's acceptance of responsibility.

Ec

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]
2006/9/17, Christoph Seydl <Christoph.Seydl@students.jku.at>:
> I assume that Jimbo means that only material that is verifiable with
> reference to reliable, published sources should be used. And if we
> remove all unsourced statements, Wikipedia will shrink and grow less
> fast. However, there are reliable sources even for the most simple
> objects. According to Norstedts svenska ordbok och uppslagsbok, a bucket
> is a "cylindrical vessel with a carrying handle for the transport of
> liquids sand or the like".

Can you provide such a reference too for all the other parts of the
definition of 'bucket'? And if not, should we delete that? And if you
can, should we delete it nevertheless until you have done so?

> As Jimbo said, several editors will stop contributing, if all material
> has to be sourced. At the same time, the motivation to provide sources
> will increase, whereas there is almost no motivation to source
> statements, if they will not be removed.

The motivation will certainly increase, yes. Nobody wants to add
material to Wikipedia that will be removed again. But it also means
that we are going to delete more if the rule is added than in the
whole of Wikipedia until now. Use [[Special:Randompage]]. The chance
that it's sourced is small. The change that if it is sourced, it is
specified what comes from which source is even smaller. You might as
well go and delete pages at random.

> No matter how a codification of verifiability will look like, there
> should be at least a statement on verifiability at Foundation Issues in
> my opinion. There are several options how verifiability can be defined:
> - Everything must be sourced, what Jimbo seems to prefer.
> - Only critical material (e. g. negative information about living
> persons, disputed issues, hard facts, quotes,...) must be sourced.
> Statements on everyday objects (cf. bucket example) may not be
> sourced.

How do you define critical material?

> - Source what you like.
> - Abolish sourcing at all.

Why? Can't this rule be left to the separate projects?

Re: Verifiability: Constitution? [ In reply to ]