Guillaume Paumier
Disciplus Simplex
http://fr.wikipedia.org : Resistance is futile — You will be assimilated.
Re: Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images [ In reply to ]
> * if it is technically possible;

Yes, you can use JavaScript to change it.

--
Alexander Sigachov
Re: Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images [ In reply to ]
Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some French-language Wikipedians would like to translate the text of the two
> images at the bottom of each page: "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by
> MediaWiki". To answer them I would like to know:
> * if it is technically possible;
> * what people from the Foundation think about it.

There is no reason why we couldn't do this. All we need to do is have
those two images access an actual wiki image, just like the logo in the
top-left corner is actually [[Image:Wiki.png]] (correct me if I'm
wrong). Granting access to change those images to sysops only is way
enough to ensure that any necessary restrictions are met (e.g. the
MediaWiki one must mention MediaWiki and must not change the MediaWiki
logo).

Timwi

Re: Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images [ In reply to ]
"Timwi" wrote:
> There is no reason why we couldn't do this. All we need to do is have
> those two images access an actual wiki image, just like the logo in the
> top-left corner is actually [[Image:Wiki.png]] (correct me if I'm
> wrong). Granting access to change those images to sysops only is way
> enough to ensure that any necessary restrictions are met (e.g. the
> MediaWiki one must mention MediaWiki and must not change the MediaWiki
> logo).
>
> Timwi
It'd be changed by the devs, so really no problem. The different
translations should be available at a gallery on mediawiki.org.
Question: should they be loacally uploaded or on commons?