I think this guy is one of your admins. Here's his IP log for an ISP
report. This is a good test of your new policy. Since
this person is a bane not only on Wikimedia, but anyone on any projects
supporting Wikimedia content, would be a good
test.

80-195-236-221.cable.ubr02.hari.blueyonder.co.uk

:-)

Jeff
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Dear Fred,
>
>He appears to be in the UK, not Canada as you mentioned.
>
>en.wikigadugi.org
>
>See recent changes for Willy's visit.
>
>I think this guy is one of your admins. Here's his IP log for an ISP
>report. This is a good test of your new policy. Since
>this person is a bane not only on Wikimedia, but anyone on any projects
>supporting Wikimedia content, would be a good
>test.
>
>80-195-236-221.cable.ubr02.hari.blueyonder.co.uk
>
>:-)
>
>Jeff

Also, the digitally signed pcap trace files generated by the DSFS
forensic file system
which detail Willy's visits, routes, transactions, and other information
along with all packet
traffic captured around this time are at:

ftp.wikigadugi.org/wiki/trace

to verify this information and give you some idea of what an "ironclad"
ISP forensic trace
looks like.

Jeff
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
On Aug 7, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

> Dear Fred,
>
> He appears to be in the UK, not Canada as you mentioned.
>
> en.wikigadugi.org
>
> See recent changes for Willy's visit.
>
> I think this guy is one of your admins. Here's his IP log for an ISP
> report. This is a good test of your new policy. Since
> this person is a bane not only on Wikimedia, but anyone on any
> projects
> supporting Wikimedia content, would be a good
> test.
>
> 80-195-236-221.cable.ubr02.hari.blueyonder.co.uk
>
> :-)
>
> Jeff

He's not editing Wikipedia from that address, but the ip is probably
blocked due to past activities.

Fred

Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>Dear Fred,
>>
>>He appears to be in the UK, not Canada as you mentioned.
>>
>>en.wikigadugi.org
>>
>>See recent changes for Willy's visit.
>>
>>I think this guy is one of your admins. Here's his IP log for an ISP
>>report. This is a good test of your new policy. Since
>>this person is a bane not only on Wikimedia, but anyone on any projects
>>supporting Wikimedia content, would be a good
>>test.
>>
>>80-195-236-221.cable.ubr02.hari.blueyonder.co.uk
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Also, the digitally signed pcap trace files generated by the DSFS
>forensic file system
>which detail Willy's visits, routes, transactions, and other information
>along with all packet
>traffic captured around this time are at:
>
>ftp.wikigadugi.org/wiki/trace
>
>to verify this information and give you some idea of what an "ironclad"
>ISP forensic trace
>looks like.
>
>Jeff

Any 71.X.X.X addresses come from a residential gateway half the
neighborhood is on, so you may see a lot of teenager content on it. Be
warned.

Jeff
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Fred Bauder wrote:

>On Aug 7, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>Dear Fred,
>>
>>He appears to be in the UK, not Canada as you mentioned.
>>
>>en.wikigadugi.org
>>
>>See recent changes for Willy's visit.
>>
>>I think this guy is one of your admins. Here's his IP log for an ISP
>>report. This is a good test of your new policy. Since
>>this person is a bane not only on Wikimedia, but anyone on any
>>projects
>>supporting Wikimedia content, would be a good
>>test.
>>
>>80-195-236-221.cable.ubr02.hari.blueyonder.co.uk
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>He's not editing Wikipedia from that address, but the ip is probably
>blocked due to past activities.
>
>Fred

I'll take the traces down then. If you need any more trace files on
Willy, let me know. I wanted to illustrate
what you can do with a forensic file system that not only captures
traffic, but does route discovery and detects
addresses behind proxies with modified cookies and other techniques. I
have some folks from the church who
use the wireless gateway and trace files to investigate porn usage in a
local neighborhood as well. The Wiki
Appliances come installed with DSFS by default, so you can track down
anyone doing site abuse.

Jeff
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
On 8/7/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
> Fred Bauder wrote:
>
> >On Aug 7, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
> >

> >>Dear Fred,
> >>
> >>He appears to be in the UK, not Canada as you mentioned.
> >>
> >>en.wikigadugi.org
> >>
> >>See recent changes for Willy's visit.

At the risk of sounding negative and repeating myself: I fail to see
how this thread (this one in particular, without claiming the
otherwise for other threads) is in any way related to the Wikimedia
Foundation. Could you please have this discussion somewhere
appropriate? Alternative: Explain to me how this topic is at least
partly related to the WMF.

Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering.

Mathias
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Mathias Schindler wrote:

>On 8/7/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
>

>>Fred Bauder wrote:

>At the risk of sounding negative and repeating myself: I fail to see
>how this thread (this one in particular, without claiming the
>otherwise for other threads) is in any way related to the Wikimedia
>Foundation. Could you please have this discussion somewhere
>appropriate? Alternative: Explain to me how this topic is at least
>partly related to the WMF.
>
>Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering.
>
>Mathias

Fred was discussing ISP changes and Willy came up in the discussion with
Fred.

Good point, thread ended.

Jeff
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I'll take the traces down then. If you need any more trace files on
> Willy, let me know. I wanted to illustrate
> what you can do with a forensic file system that not only captures
> traffic, but does route discovery and detects
> addresses behind proxies with modified cookies and other techniques. I
> have some folks from the church who
> use the wireless gateway and trace files to investigate porn usage
> in a
> local neighborhood as well. The Wiki
> Appliances come installed with DSFS by default, so you can track down
> anyone doing site abuse.
>
> Jeff

I chickened out when I connected to those. But let's keep talking
about them.

Fred

Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:22 AM, Mathias Schindler wrote:

> On 8/7/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Fred Bauder wrote:

> At the risk of sounding negative and repeating myself: I fail to see
> how this thread (this one in particular, without claiming the
> otherwise for other threads) is in any way related to the Wikimedia
> Foundation. Could you please have this discussion somewhere
> appropriate? Alternative: Explain to me how this topic is at least
> partly related to the WMF.
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering.
>
> Mathias

I'm not sure where it belongs. But I'll think about where it ought to
go.

Fred

Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Fred Bauder wrote:

>On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>I'll take the traces down then. If you need any more trace files on
>>Willy, let me know. I wanted to illustrate
>>what you can do with a forensic file system that not only captures
>>traffic, but does route discovery and detects
>>addresses behind proxies with modified cookies and other techniques. I
>>have some folks from the church who
>>use the wireless gateway and trace files to investigate porn usage
>>in a
>>local neighborhood as well. The Wiki
>>Appliances come installed with DSFS by default, so you can track down
>>anyone doing site abuse.
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>I chickened out when I connected to those. But let's keep talking
>about them.
>
>Fred

Ok. I think if you need any of them in the future I should create an
account in the server and give you access to
the entire library in a non-public forum so you can surgically extract
just the content needed for each case. We should
probably be careful about the accesses of legitimate people to the site
who may not want their IP info public. I
have offered to provide licensed copies of the DSFS file system at no
cost for the foundation or perhaps a standalone appliance
which will allow you and other folks to capture all network traffic for
Wikimedia. With this, you can track
down anyone anywhere anytime and provide ironclad forensic traces to
back up ISP reports. We have LARGE
customers using this technology. One of our appliances can capture full
traffic up to 500 megabyte/second loads. So
a single appliance could do all of Wikipedia and be 98% idle most of the
time.

Jeff

Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>Fred Bauder wrote:
>

>>I chickened out when I connected to those. But let's keep talking
>>about them.
>>
>>Fred

Fred,

I checked on arrangements and if the foundation is interested in an
appliance, I will pick up the costs for it and
donate it to the Foundation at no cost. My contribution to Wikimedia
this year if they wish to use it.

Jeff
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
I ask anyone on the project, because Mr. Merkey is now not a part of
our community as far as I know, please ignore this off topic thread
and not reply you to save other editors' time.

Or please explain what is relevant to our project and the organization
which supports it.

Please,

On 8/8/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> >Fred Bauder wrote:
> >

> >>I chickened out when I connected to those. But let's keep talking
> >>about them.
> >>
> >>Fred
> >>

> Fred,
>
> I checked on arrangements and if the foundation is interested in an
> appliance, I will pick up the costs for it and
> donate it to the Foundation at no cost. My contribution to Wikimedia
> this year if they wish to use it.
>
> Jeff

Kizu Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *
Re: Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes [ In reply to ]
Aphaia wrote:

>I ask anyone on the project, because Mr. Merkey is now not a part of
>our community as far as I know, please ignore this off topic thread
>and not reply you to save other editors' time.

I am not a part of **YOUR** restricted community (Essjay and friends),
but I am part of the greater
wikipedia community and the Wikipedia Native American Community. Like it
or not, I am not going away,
I have resources and a Wiki appliance company, and I am promoting
wikipedia, just not the same way you
are.

>Or please explain what is relevant to our project and the organization
>which supports it.

I discussed it with Fred Bauder on the phone yesterday and I'll let Fred
handle these
community based issues with the Foundation. Open Forums are just that.
The Community
never banned me from anywhere -- it was the Board of Trustees afraid I
was going to take
some form of legal action. The legal action got resolved. To be honest,
I get tired of
the constant backpedaling and posturing of folks and I asked Fred to
interface.

It will just be easier this way.

Cheers,

Jeff