Mailing List Archive

Enhancement requests : spreading the word, flagging problems, accept but delay
A few disparate feature thoughts from recent conversations:

* "Mail this article to a friend" and "Mail this image to a friend" --
badly needed functionality

* "Flag problem with this article" -- useful interface feature, though
what it does once you apply such a flag might be refined over time.

* User watching -- add the option to watch the edits of particular
anons or new users [logged-in users could opt out of being watchable].
In addition to "/newbies" have an "unwatched newbie contribs" RC
page.

* Metadata about revisoin stability : A subtle but visible "recent
newbie edit" flag to articles to indicate that someone with no history
has edited the page recently, and this flag has not been reset.
Provide a way for any non-new editor to unset the flag.

** A feature to prepare for the future, but not to apply unless
necessary : an "accept but delay" editing patch for new users -- new
users can see their own changes to an article; logged-in users can see
the "recent newbie edit flag" and also the latest changes; other users
see the last version before this edit. Anon readers who try editing
the page (not seeing the newer revision) would be editing the text of
the old revision (with the standard warning), so a set of newbies
could conceivably overwrite one another's changes in quick succession
without realizing it; but other editors could learn to compensate and
work through the histories of especially current events articles with
rapidly changing content and information.

SJ
Re: Enhancement requests : spreading the word, flagging problems, accept but delay [ In reply to ]
"Mail this article to a friend" -- yes, we do need this function. Thing is,
it may put a stress on the servers.

"Flag problem with this article" -- isn't that what article tags like
{{npov}} are for?

User watching -- Sounds like a good idea, thing is, it may lead to more
wikistalking

Revision stability -- Fundamentally good to ensure article quality, but it
can be argued that this stereotypes newcomers. Then again, newcomers really
have a tendency of doing things not exactly how we like them, but it's okay.
Sounds like a good idea.

Accept-but-delay -- anti-wiki. I prefer the newbie-edit flag better, since
it helps make sure the article doesn't degenerate in quality, but delaying
edits of someone is against the whole quick-editing concept.

Re: Enhancement requests : spreading the word, flagging problems, accept but delay [ In reply to ]
Samuel Klein wrote:
> A few disparate feature thoughts from recent conversations:
>
> * "Mail this article to a friend" and "Mail this image to a friend" --
> badly needed functionality

Too easily abusable to spam; also this functionality is already built-in to
every web browser I've seen.

/me nods at others

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Enhancement requests : spreading the word, flagging problems, accept but delay [ In reply to ]

> A few disparate feature thoughts from recent
> conversations:

[snip]

> ** A feature to prepare for the future, but not to
> apply unless
> necessary : an "accept but delay" editing patch for
> new users -- new
> users can see their own changes to an article;
> logged-in users can see
> the "recent newbie edit flag" and also the latest
> changes; other users
> see the last version before this edit.

This is a more specific case of the stable version or
"Wikipedia 1.0" feature discussed on this list last
week and which I hope will go live, in one form or
another, relatively soon. Especially since the
current failure to distinguish between
stable/"official" and in-progress versions of an
article exacerbate many problems, both social and
technical. If the last revision of an article is no
longer pulled by default for most users, then you
remove much of the incentive for vandals or spammers
since the only people who will see their handiwork are
the editors working on the next version of the
article. Revision wars likewise cool down as neither
side can now seize an article's "prime real estate"
(i.e. its default view) by putting their revisions
into the latest version of an article. Thus you
reduce unnecessary load on the system, and the editing
process becomes more deliberate and civil since only
through consensus will new edits ever make it onto the
stable, or "official" Wikipedia site.