free (just not on spec). We should put out a call for portfolios.

Cheers (and sorry about the telegraphic style; I'm a bit tired)

Ben Yates
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/06, Ben Yates <bluephonic@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a proposal to overhaul wikipedia's front-page design, and
> wikimedia's corporate design, by holding a contest:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Design_overhaul%2C_2006
>
> But designers are mostly opposed to contests, and pro designers don't
> usually compete in them (contests also pose problems for organizations
> on the recieving end) -- see Talk,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Design_overhaul%2C_2006
>
> So it looks like we have an offer from a visible designer to help us
> find pro-bono firms and designers who'd be willing to do the site for
> free (just not on spec). We should put out a call for portfolios.

Is the design going to be GFDL?

Anthony
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Anthony DiPierro napisał(a):
> On 5/18/06, Ben Yates <bluephonic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There was a proposal to overhaul wikipedia's front-page design, and
>> wikimedia's corporate design, by holding a contest:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Design_overhaul%2C_2006
>>
>> But designers are mostly opposed to contests, and pro designers don't
>> usually compete in them (contests also pose problems for organizations
>> on the recieving end) -- see Talk,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Design_overhaul%2C_2006
>>
>> So it looks like we have an offer from a visible designer to help us
>> find pro-bono firms and designers who'd be willing to do the site for
>> free (just not on spec). We should put out a call for portfolios.
>>

> Is the design going to be GFDL?

After a brief talk with Delphine and some other people (including
non-wikimedians) during the Wikimedia Polska 2006 meetup my take on this is:

No, the design should NOT be GFDL, CC-whatever or under any other free
license. The webpage design is an integral part of the sites' visual
identity, just as much as the project logos (if not more).

Monobook is currently distributed along with every MediaWiki package.
Anybody can set up a site that looks almost EXACTLY like Wikipedia and
be on the safe side of the law.

Sure, giving our website design away under a free license is a nice
thing to do but... Why the hell should we be nice?

We are supposed to gather free knowledge and distribute it under a free
license. Are we doing it? Yes. Check.
Is the design "free knowledge"? No.

So let's just forget about "the wiki way", "free content" and all that
other stuff and try to think like an *organization* for a sec. Oh, wait.
Not just any organization. *The* organization behind one of *the* 20
most visited sites on the planet.

If this doesn't seem to convince you think about this for a moment: Why
don't we just release the logos under a free license? When you come to
an answer simply apply it to the design as well, cause this is the same
area - visual identity.

(Disclaimer: No, I did not assume Anthony was implying that the design
should be under GFDL when he asked the question above. I assumed a
number of people might think that.)

TOR
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/06, £ukasz Garczewski <tor@oak.pl> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro napisa³(a):
> > Is the design going to be GFDL?
> >
> After a brief talk with Delphine and some other people (including
> non-wikimedians) during the Wikimedia Polska 2006 meetup my take on this is:
>
> No, the design should NOT be GFDL, CC-whatever or under any other free
> license. The webpage design is an integral part of the sites' visual
> identity, just as much as the project logos (if not more).
>
> Monobook is currently distributed along with every MediaWiki package.
> Anybody can set up a site that looks almost EXACTLY like Wikipedia and
> be on the safe side of the law.
>
> Sure, giving our website design away under a free license is a nice
> thing to do but... Why the hell should we be nice?

The entire reason Wikimedia exists is to be nice.

> If this doesn't seem to convince you think about this for a moment: Why
> don't we just release the logos under a free license? When you come to
> an answer simply apply it to the design as well, cause this is the same
> area - visual identity.

I should point out that not everyone in the world thinks the logos
*should* be under a free license.

> (Disclaimer: No, I did not assume Anthony was implying that the design
> should be under GFDL when he asked the question above. I assumed a
> number of people might think that.)

Heh, I guess I'll keep you all guessing how I feel on the matter :).

> --
> Cheers,
> TOR

Anthony
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Anthony DiPierro napisa³(a):
> On 5/18/06, £ukasz Garczewski <tor@oak.pl> wrote:
>
>> Sure, giving our website design away under a free license is a nice
>> thing to do but... Why the hell should we be nice?
>>
> The entire reason Wikimedia exists is to be nice.

Sigh... The moment I hit send I knew somebody would say this. We could
spend days discussing the reasons for Wikipedia's existence ("purpose of
meaning" anyone?) as well as the degrees of niceness. ;)

I simply believe that we're being nice simply by gathering and providing
knowledge. We do not have to be really, really, reaaaally nice by also
saying "Please, confuse people and mess with our visual identity by
using our site design! Go ahead! It's free!". That's not even being nice
anymore. That's being dumb (I know I will most probably regret using
this word when I wake up tomorrow...).

Goodnight.

--
£ukasz "TOR" Garczewski
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> I simply believe that we're being nice simply by gathering and
> providing
> knowledge. We do not have to be really, really, reaaaally nice by also
> saying "Please, confuse people and mess with our visual identity by
> using our site design! Go ahead! It's free!". That's not even being
> nice
> anymore. That's being dumb (I know I will most probably regret using
> this word when I wake up tomorrow...).

Sure, let's fight anyone who uses fragment of our 'trademarks'.
Or who use fragments of our 'visual designs'.

I feel that we are here because of what we want to do, not because of
what we've done. If we see, that we can be out-competed by anyone else,
who can be nicer and more efficient, let them lead the way.

Screw all that what we've built, it's all GFDL, it all can be forked.
Let's concentrate on what we, as a community may create and we
won't have to care about trademarks, designs or any power ladders.

And yes, you will regret the word.

Let's confuse everyone with the idea that knowledge can be free.

Let's confuse everyone that they can find information they need in
seconds.

Let's confuse everyone by relying on idea, that in confusion people
start to think and bring new ideas.

Total world domination is nice, but people should have a choice (and
fun :).

And we should not be the watchdog of 'what is our only asset' -
trademarks or whatever else.

Our real asset is potential. And if there's general feeling
otherwise, that would be perfect demotivation.

Domas
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
The licencing debate seems irrelevant for the moment. I'm sure
designers willing to do pro-bono work would also be willing to licence
that work under the GFDL (or under standard copyright). It honestly
doesn't seem like a very important issue right now considering the
number of improvements that could potentially be made if we were to
set the issue aside for now.

For example: has wikimedia/wikipedia ever been formally tested for
usability, to see (in hard data) how the interface could be improved?
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Ben Yates napisał(a):
> It honestly
> doesn't seem like a very important issue right now considering the
> number of improvements that could potentially be made if we were to
> set the issue aside for now.

Quite right.
> For example: has wikimedia/wikipedia ever been formally tested for
> usability, to see (in hard data) how the interface could be improved?

Well... Gandalf (Mozilla Europe Board Member, Lead Developer of Aviary
PL etc.) has thrown one example of bad (usability- and
accessibility-wise) design after the other at us during the meetup I
mentioned. But I don't think he did a thorough test. I do know that he
is a pro and that he was the first person I though of when I saw the
overhaul proposal.

I am going to try to contact him this weekend and get him involved in
this. Will keep you posted.

Łukasz "TOR" Garczewski
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Alright, cool. Of particular intrest to me was also the note from
Catherine Morley:

- - - - - - - - - - - -
"If you decide to go the pro-bono route, what Wikipedia needs to do is
put out a call for portfolios, select one designer (or design company)
with a fit to work pro-bono, write up a detailed design brief, agree
on ONE person as a contact between the designer and Wikipedia (no
designer in their right mind would agree to design by committee as it
hinders the process on both sides), then work closely to create your
new look and feel.

If you need help with the process just drop me a line and I'll walk
you through it. In addition to supporting your pro-bono design call on
NO!SPEC (www.no-spec.com), Creative Latitude
(www.creativelatitude.com) would also put out an email to our members
to alert them of your needs, as well as request that they pass it
around.

Wikipedia can also get the message out via design forums, design
blogs, adland ... and possibly BoingBoing. We'd be happy to assist
with some of this (note: we have no ins with BoingBoing).

-- Catherine Morley Project Manager: NO!SPEC & Creative Latitude"
- - - - - - - - - - - -

I think we should cast a pretty wide net, starting with feelers out
into the general design community -- discussion forum posts, etc -- to
get a sense of what they think the best thing to do is and maybe start
building interest/momentum. (Catherine's advice looks good to me, but
it's also prudent to double-check.)

On 5/18/06, £ukasz Garczewski <tor@oak.pl> wrote:
> Ben Yates napisa³(a):
> > It honestly
> > doesn't seem like a very important issue right now considering the
> > number of improvements that could potentially be made if we were to
> > set the issue aside for now.
> >
> Quite right.
> > For example: has wikimedia/wikipedia ever been formally tested for
> > usability, to see (in hard data) how the interface could be improved?
> >
> Well... Gandalf (Mozilla Europe Board Member, Lead Developer of Aviary
> PL etc.) has thrown one example of bad (usability- and
> accessibility-wise) design after the other at us during the meetup I
> mentioned. But I don't think he did a thorough test. I do know that he
> is a pro and that he was the first person I though of when I saw the
> overhaul proposal.
>
> I am going to try to contact him this weekend and get him involved in
> this. Will keep you posted.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> £ukasz "TOR" Garczewski

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Ben Yates schrieb:
> The licencing debate seems irrelevant for the moment. I'm sure
> designers willing to do pro-bono work would also be willing to licence
> that work under the GFDL (or under standard copyright). It honestly
> doesn't seem like a very important issue right now considering the
> number of improvements that could potentially be made if we were to
> set the issue aside for now.

It's not as irrelevant as one may think. I was playing with the idea of
a design contest for the german wikipedia among pro's for quite some
time. One of the problems which arose there with our free licenses is
the possibility of modification. If you're a good designer, creating a
good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?

If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.

> For example: has wikimedia/wikipedia ever been formally tested for
> usability, to see (in hard data) how the interface could be improved?

OpenUsability made two usability tests for the German Wikipedia, you can
find the test results (in english) on:
http://openusability.org/projects/wikipedia/

Lots of issues apply to wikipedia and mediawiki in general.

greetings,
elian
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Ben Yates wrote:
> There was a proposal to overhaul wikipedia's front-page design, and
> wikimedia's corporate design, by holding a contest:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Design_overhaul%2C_2006
>
> But designers are mostly opposed to contests, and pro designers don't
> usually compete in them (contests also pose problems for organizations
> on the recieving end) -- see Talk,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Design_overhaul%2C_2006
>
> So it looks like we have an offer from a visible designer to help us
> find pro-bono firms and designers who'd be willing to do the site for
> free (just not on spec). We should put out a call for portfolios.

Having been in several organizations that have brought in outside
designers (or design firms) to revamp their websites, I'm pretty wary of
it; the results, while sometimes nice-looking, often display a stunning
ignorance of what the site is actually *for*, and make it nearly
impossible to get actual information from it.

What would be ideal to avoid such a situation is to have a designer who
is very closely familiar with Wikipedia and how both its editors and
readers work. And of course, Wikipedians ought to have a veto over any
final design.

-Mark

Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/19/06, Ùukasz Garczewski <tor@oak.pl> wrote:
> No, the design should NOT be GFDL, CC-whatever or under any other free
> license. The webpage design is an integral part of the sites' visual
> identity, just as much as the project logos (if not more).

Let me quote from MonoBook's CSS definition:

** MediaWiki 'monobook' style sheet for CSS2-capable browsers.
** Copyright Gabriel Wicke - http://wikidev.net/
** License: GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)
**
** Loosely based on
http://www.positioniseverything.net/ordered-floats.html by Big John
** and the Plone 2.0 styles, see http://plone.org/ (Alexander Limi,Joe
Geldart & Tom Croucher,
** Michael Zeltner and Geir B¿kholt)
** All you guys rock :)

In other words, our own current design is a free content creation that
was only possible because of the free content work of others. Free
design is very much a part of the free content and free culture
movement, and Wikimedia is at the very center of that movement.

Has using a free content design that is derived from free content
designs harmed us in an identifiable and provable way? Your argument
is: "We are a top 20 website, so we should start acting like one". My
argument is: "We are a top 20 website because we _haven't_ acted like
one."

Sharing is good. Making the logos proprietary is one way of ensuring a
consistent identity. And you know what's one of the best arguments
against it? That people will start arguing that now that you've made
one part of your site proprietary, you should do the same for others.
That slope is very slippery.

I would strongly argue that any redesign that does not affect the
logos should be done under free content conditions.

Erik
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> If you're a good designer, creating a
> good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant
> admin
> later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?

Isn't it what whole Wikipedia is all about?
We build content that can be used (and modified) by anyone.
We build platform that can be used (and modified) by anyone.

But no, wait, we have to fight our visual identity to extremes!

Sooner or later we'll end up as content processor rather than a
website, then all these visual identities will be worth 0.00$.

Cheers,
Domas
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/06, Elisabeth Bauer <elian@djini.de> wrote:
> If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
> need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
> though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
> they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.

That brings up another question I had. If the designer creates the
layout for free, would it be a work for hire, with the copyright owned
by the Foundation, or would the designer retain all control over it?
Reading over the public discussions by the designers on this matter it
seems like they're not going to be willing to do the work for nothing,
even if they do it for zero monetary compensation.

Also, would any of this change if the design was paid for? Even if
the Foundation doesn't want to spend money on something like designing
the website, perhaps because it's questionable whether website design
is the most effective way to spend money achieving its goals, it would
always be possible to set up a separate fund from separate donations
to pay for it.

Anthony
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Elisabeth Bauer wrote:
> One of the problems which arose there with our free licenses is
> the possibility of modification. If you're a good designer, creating a
> good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
> later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?

This sounds a lot like the arguments against Wikipedia in
general---surely if you're a good researcher, perhaps a professor in
archaeology, creating a good article on your area of expertise for
Wikipedia --- do you really want any archaeology-ignorant editor later
fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?

I'd say it's worked out pretty well so far. ;-)

-Mark

Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 04:25 schrieb Elisabeth Bauer:
> If you're a good designer, creating a
> good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
> later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?

Well there is a problem: What is destruction? I am very sure that some people
consider some of our CSS hacks in MediaWiki:Monobook.css destruction of the
given Monobook design.

There are even some hacks that do alter on purpose polished layout in order to
improve usability (for example a checker background for images in Wikimedia
Commons in order to see transparency directly, see for example:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia-logo.png).

Destruction is what a broad majority considers destruction and this can differ
from community to community (For example I really dislike most of the
namespace colors used in various Wikipedias but that's probably my personal
taste only...).

But as you have pointed it out usability is important and so I think we can
find a good commons sense for some kind of "corporate design" with only minor
local tweaks if we favour usability over fancy design.

> If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
> need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
> though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
> they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.

Well there is the requirement that you have to credit the author(s). In case
someone else did modify a design you can force people by license (let us say
GFDL) to say that this is a modified design so that the original author does
not get blamed because some local ignorant admin did enforce his personal
taste (although my own experience says that only in small communities you can
act as dictator, in larger communities you need very good points so that
other admins don't revert you).

So if a majority of a community is dumb and likes a stupid change, well I'd
say they don't deserve anything better... And even in that case the original
author has nothing to do with it.

So I am sure there will be projects that will destroy any given design that
makes sense but these projects have to live with the problem that they are
very probably not professional and thus probably not relevant. And a project
that is irrelevant won't be noticed or just ignored over time (and if people
from that project notice this loose of interest they will hopefully consider
it and change their current style)...

Greetings, Arnomane
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 19 May 2006, arnomane@gmx.de wrote:

> Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 04:25 schrieb Elisabeth Bauer:
>> If you're a good designer, creating a
>> good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
>> later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?
>
> Well there is a problem: What is destruction? I am very sure that some people
> consider some of our CSS hacks in MediaWiki:Monobook.css destruction of the
> given Monobook design.

Indeed...

> But as you have pointed it out usability is important and so I think we can
> find a good commons sense for some kind of "corporate design" with only minor
> local tweaks if we favour usability over fancy design.

Hmm. "community design" ?

>> If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
>> need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
>> though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
>> they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.
>
> Well there is the requirement that you have to credit the author(s). In case
> someone else did modify a design you can force people by license (let us say

We can even provide an archive highlighting past 'accepted' designs in
their pristine state; we can't guarantee that a particular design will be
up forever. MIT plans a new main page design every day, drawing on
submissions from their community; it works wonderfully.

http://web.mit.edu
http://web.mit.edu/site/propose.html

-- Sj
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
arnomane@gmx.de wrote:

>Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 04:25 schrieb Elisabeth Bauer:
>

>>If you're a good designer, creating a
>>good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
>>later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?
>>

>Well there is a problem: What is destruction? I am very sure that some people
>consider some of our CSS hacks in MediaWiki:Monobook.css destruction of the
>given Monobook design.

If a professional develops a main page design he or she needs to accept
that that contribution may be edited mercilessly from the moment it is
in place. There is no basis for presuming that all alterations will be
destruction.

>Destruction is what a broad majority considers destruction and this can differ
>from community to community (For example I really dislike most of the
>namespace colors used in various Wikipedias but that's probably my personal
>taste only...).

I don't dispute that some people have very poor fashion sense in their
choice of colours. Some are so lacking in contrast as to be impossible
to read, but ultimately it's up to the people involved there to make
their own decisions.

>But as you have pointed it out usability is important and so I think we can
>find a good commons sense for some kind of "corporate design" with only minor
>local tweaks if we favour usability over fancy design.

Again each project should be completely free to adopt your "corporate
design" or not. Having this multiplicity of designs maintains the
dynamism of the the Wikimedia projects. Some will suck. Others will
introduce new design ideas that can be adopted by the other projects.
Most will follow a sensible middle ground. When you mandate a single
professional design for all projects the results become static and stale.

>>If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
>>need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
>>though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
>>they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.
>>

>Well there is the requirement that you have to credit the author(s). In case
>someone else did modify a design you can force people by license (let us say
>GFDL) to say that this is a modified design so that the original author does
>not get blamed because some local ignorant admin did enforce his personal
>taste (although my own experience says that only in small communities you can
>act as dictator, in larger communities you need very good points so that
>other admins don't revert you).

Most of our GFDL pages are already modified, so this would be no
different. Credit for the professional designer's modifications will be
there in the page's history just like anyone else's modifications before
and after.

>So if a majority of a community is dumb and likes a stupid change, well I'd
>say they don't deserve anything better... And even in that case the original
>author has nothing to do with it.

It's premature to suggest that the changes supported by the community
will be stupid. The professionals have not yet submitted their
proposals, so we have not yet had the opportunity to determine the
extent they will be stupid.

>So I am sure there will be projects that will destroy any given design that
>makes sense but these projects have to live with the problem that they are
>very probably not professional and thus probably not relevant. And a project
>that is irrelevant won't be noticed or just ignored over time (and if people
>from that project notice this loose of interest they will hopefully consider
>it and change their current style)...

This last paragraph perfectly exemplifies the kind of professional
arrogance that I have railed about since at least the year 40 BWP. It
perfectly represents the head-up-one's ass attitude maintained by
professionals overwhelmed with their own sense of importance. As
someone has already affirmed Wikipedia did not get where it is by
allowing itself to be guided by professionals. Perhaps this universe
where things that are "not professional and thus probably not relevant"
would better be described as one where being professional is
irrelevant. Except for an unusually easy ride that has been given to
lawyers, all professionals who have participated in building Wikipedia
have had to accept that they must work with non-professionals. I see no
reason to make an exception for webpage designers.

What keeps me involved is the acceptance of a series of underlying
principles, not the least of which were outlined in Jimbo's "Free the
... " speech. I am very pleased to speak out when anyone would attempt
to subvert those principles in the name of order and consistency.

I recently had the pleasure of hearing a presentation by Dean Fink based
on his recent book, "Leadership for Mortals". The emphasis was on
leadership in education in the 21st century, but the principles involved
can apply as easily in other fields of practice. Professionals are
characterized by having an agenda, or at least a vested interest in the
ways of the past. Real learning brings more than that into play, and
perhaps some day I can rant about that at greater length. The memorable
point that he made about Noah's Ark was "Remember the Ark was built by
amateurs, the Titanic by professionals."

Ec

Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/19/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sharing is good. Making the logos proprietary is one way of ensuring a
> consistent identity. And you know what's one of the best arguments
> against it? That people will start arguing that now that you've made
> one part of your site proprietary, you should do the same for others.
> That slope is very slippery.

I think this is a bit far fetched. But hey, Verschwörungstheorie ;-)

> I would strongly argue that any redesign that does not affect the
> logos should be done under free content conditions.

Actually, although I did make the suggestion earlier (that Lukasz
reported) that the design should be "non free", I have changed my mind
(sorry Lukasz ;-) )

The problem I see is that the monobook is the default design for every
single Mediawiki in the world. Which means that people have trouble
knowing whether they are on Wikipedia, on a mirror, or some strange
fake site, or on my grand-mother's wiki.

So, the design of a specific wikipedia skin sounds like a good idea.
It can be free and available, but it should not be proposed within the
mediawiki package. Or at least definitely not as default.

This said, reading again the link Elian gave, I believe that before we
go looking for a new skin, a corporate design, a pro's design or an
admin's design (you name it) there are probably many many things to be
done on the usability side. And as I understand it, a new css , as
fantastically beautiful as it may be, does *not* solve all of those
problems. At all. It helps, but it only hides the real issues, which
are probably more technical than visual.

Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
Delphine Ménard napisał(a):
> Actually, although I did make the suggestion earlier (that Lukasz
> reported) that the design should be "non free", I have changed my mind
> (sorry Lukasz ;-) )

Et tu Brute... Er... Or something along those lines. This will
definately cost you a lot of gummy bears... ;)
> So, the design of a specific wikipedia skin sounds like a good idea.
> It can be free and available, but it should not be proposed within the
> mediawiki package. Or at least definitely not as default.

Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Cheers,
Łukasz "TOR" Garczewski
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/19/06, £ukasz Garczewski <tor@oak.pl> wrote:

> Et tu Brute... Er... Or something along those lines. This will
> definately cost you a lot of gummy bears... ;)
> > So, the design of a specific wikipedia skin sounds like a good idea.
> > It can be free and available, but it should not be proposed within the
> > mediawiki package. Or at least definitely not as default.
> >
> Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Let's be fair, and since we're talking about Caesar, let's give back
to Caesar what pertains to Caesar (well, poor translation of a French
saying). The compromise was elaborated by Sophie, a French web
designer who pointed out to me the problem of having the Wikipedia
skin as default for Mediawiki (or the other way around actually), and
actually made crystal clear to me by Austin while we were talking
about this thread.

;-)

Delphine

--
~notafish
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 19 May 2006, Lukasz Garczewski wrote:

> If this doesn't seem to convince you think about this for a moment: Why
> don't we just release the logos under a free license? When you come to

Why don't we? I don't know the reason. It is possible to have a
freely-licensed logo whose use is regulated via trademark; Debian has
managed this with their logo.

Beyond this, there is a need for free licenses that deal effectively with
copyrightable elements of identity. Debian and GNOME and other projects
are trying to deal with this.

It is one thing to say "This logo/design cannot be used to create a site
or content that pretends to be Wikipedia content, or confuses [consumers]".
It is another to say that there is no permissible use which does not
require a license (which is the same kind of unscalable arrangement that
traditional copyright makes for other content).

For a related discussion, see: http://wiki.mako.cc/TrademarkFreedom

Sj

Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
2006/5/19, arnomane@gmx.de <arnomane@gmx.de>:

> Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 04:25 schrieb Elisabeth Bauer:
> > If you're a good designer, creating a
> > good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
> > later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?
>
> Well there is a problem: What is destruction? I am very sure that some
> people
> consider some of our CSS hacks in MediaWiki:Monobook.css destruction of
> the
> given Monobook design.

This does not sound really relevant to me. Ability for users to customize
the design can be included into the brief. What is at stake is wether the
default layout could be reused and altered, especially on other sites.

GL
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/06, Elisabeth Bauer <elian@djini.de> wrote:
> If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
> need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
> though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
> they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.

I can't see how this is at all practicable. Monobook (and the shared
Common.css) are edited all the time, by necessity or at whim, as each
individual project sees fit. For that matter, if a designer is that
proud of his work, he's certainly not going to like all the custom
styles used on many pages and in almost all templates.

Austin
Re: Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate) [ In reply to ]
On 5/19/06, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem I see is that the monobook is the default design for every
> single Mediawiki in the world. Which means that people have trouble
> knowing whether they are on Wikipedia, on a mirror, or some strange
> fake site, or on my grand-mother's wiki.

Precisely. If you decide to install the most popular wiki software
package out there, you have to go out of your way to make it *not*
look like Wikipedia—at least the default logo isn't the MediaWiki
flower anymore (actually, it is, but at least it's defaced by annoying
text that compels people to change it quickly).

Austin