Mailing List Archive

[Wikipedia-l] Bot flagging, stewards, & bureaucrats
Apologies if Rob has already posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to make
sure this was announced as widely as possible:

Developer Rob Church has enabled the [[Special:Makebot]] feature for
Wikimedia wikis; this feature allows local bureaucrats to flag and
deflag bot accounts on their projects.

Discussion on this proposal went on for quite a while, with almost
unanimous support from both stewards and bureaucrats alike; it was
approved by Jimbo (in March, I believe) for implementation.

A big thanks to Rob for working up a great extension (I've already used
it on en.wiki, and it works beautifully), and to those who supported
it's implementation.

As a side note, I suppose this means that stewards will be getting out
of the bot flagging business on projects with local bureaucrats? (I've
started a thread on [[m:Talk:Requests for bot status]] on the subject,
if anyone would like to comment.) I may be being a bit bold in doing so,
but I encourage those who read the list to make the communities on their
respective wikis aware of this new responsibility for bureaucrats.

Essjay

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia