Mailing List Archive

CheckUser (thoughts)
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if we did not make entirely
a mistake (me definitly included)

History of checkuser (please take a seat and have a tea, it will be long)

1) originally, Brion took care of ip checking upon requests. He did the
checks apparently only when he knew the one asking (=trusted). It was
done directly in the database (so, required developer status and meant
no log of checks)

2) when requests became more numerous, Tim Starling and perhaps others
started to help

3) came a moment when not only requests were too numerous (and
developers probably tired of doing this), but on top, some editors had
the developer status only to make ip checks (I understood it was the
case of Taw at least). There was apparently a will to clean up who had
access, and to limit it to those who were *really* developing

At this point, it was largely admitted that the job was the one of a
developer. A *technical* job. Though I know at least one person had
access to the db last summer or fall to do this and is not to my
knowledge a developer (Elian, can you confirm this ?)

4) Tim developped the tool. Apparently, the first to have access to it
were Taw and David. Both developers. All was fine.

5) This is the moment where it slipped.
First David started saying that more people would be needed for the
english wikipedia checks. Requests generally came from the arbcom quite
naturally. Without the tool, the arbcom would have asked Brion or Tim to
do the checks. With the tool, it was quite a natural direction.... to
request access for the arbcom members. And here was the first mistake !

On top, other languages (who were previously asking Brion or Tim, and
had no more developers available to do this at that moment) started
asking for access. And what was insisted upon was the "confidentiality"
side, much more than the "technicality" side. Second mistake.

But quite clearly.... the technical consideration is just as important
than the confidentiality consideration.

I plead guilty for part of this. I also think the arbcom of last summer
has a responsability in this, since it was asking for the arbcom to have
access, regardless of technical ability of its members. And for what is
worth, I think Jimbo also has a responsability in this, since he himself
decided all english arbcom members would have access.

Then, there was a third mistake I think (it is not an accusation, just
an analysis). It was to make a tool dividing projects and languages.
Originally, we had a common set of volunteers to help us all. And this
was good. I am pretty sure some people did not know Brion intimately
enough to *trust* him, but they were told he was fine by people they
trusted, and they went to ask him with no fear. And Jimbo had no fear
either.

Now, people have checkuser status only on one project/one language. Just
as if Brion had help ip checking on the french wiktionary, whilst Tim
was dedicated to the english wikipedia and Taw to the polish wikibooks.
It makes NO sense whatsoever. The *only* unigue advantage of the current
system is to understand the language of the project the checkuser make
the job.

And as a result of this mix-up... because of the need to "trust" the
checkuser, we have zizanie (does that exist in english ?). We have
internal fight and rancor).

The small languages are complaining they are left aside

The non-wikipedia projects are complaining they are left aside

The stewards are complaining they do not have the technical ability to
do this

And the checkusers with the technical ability... pretty much offer to
help anyone who needs help.

What that suggest me is this

We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.

But all in all, checkusers should be a common good, just as our
developers right now are (and, hell, just as your board members are).

Ant

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
> language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
> technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
> listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
> be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
> to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.
>
> But all in all, checkusers should be a common good, just as our
> developers right now are (and, hell, just as your board members are).
>
> Ant

I agree with this proposal.

The smaller wikis cannot benefit from checks because there are far too few
users with global CheckUser access; on the other hand, they cannot have
local checks because their candidates are unknown to and not trusted by the
wider community. Local CheckUser access furthermore causes previously
discussed confidentiality problems, since the number of users required would
be disproportionately high in order to serve every project in need.

Having a relatively small number of users with global CheckUser access,
perhaps combined with the proposed 'Guest' CheckUser process, will much
better serve a middle ground between access and confidentiality. These users
would probably be most active on projects they participate most in, serving
as the de facto local CheckUser agents. Projects without such local agents
would likely still be forced to wait, but the larger number of CheckUser
agents may help alleviate waiting times on the Meta request page.

-- Jesse Martin ([[User:Pathoschild]])
Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]

Anthere wrote:

[Snip "CheckUser is a bit of a mess"]

> I plead guilty for part of this.

I don't think that it's fair to blame anyone in particular for a
possibly non-optimal situation; certainly, what with your sterling work
getting an agreeable, if not perfect, policy in place, we would have
been in a much worse position without you. :-)

> I also think the arbcom of last summer
> has a responsability in this, since it was asking for the arbcom to have
> access, regardless of technical ability of its members.

I disagree with this; we said that we had one or two members who were
(far) more than sufficiently expert to be able to carry out the
analysis, and that it would be more sensible to have them carry it out
directly, rather than via the developers in the scant few moments they
weren't busy doing their fantastic work running the sites.

> And for what is
> worth, I think Jimbo also has a responsability in this, since he himself
> decided all english arbcom members would have access.

Except, err, we don't all have access; we chose who on our project has
both a sufficient (very great) level of trust, and also sufficient
technical expertise (or the willingness and aptitude to improve their
skills in this area a little). For example, I have elected not to have
access to the tool (though more for reasons of time).

> Then, there was a third mistake I think (it is not an accusation, just
> an analysis). It was to make a tool dividing projects and languages.
> Originally, we had a common set of volunteers to help us all. And this
> was good. I am pretty sure some people did not know Brion intimately
> enough to *trust* him, but they were told he was fine by people they
> trusted, and they went to ask him with no fear. And Jimbo had no fear
> either.
>
> Now, people have checkuser status only on one project/one language. Just
> as if Brion had help ip checking on the french wiktionary, whilst Tim
> was dedicated to the english wikipedia and Taw to the polish wikibooks.
> It makes NO sense whatsoever. The *only* unigue advantage of the current
> system is to understand the language of the project the checkuser make
> the job.

I agree, this is indeed a problem.

[Snip]

> What that suggest me is this
>
> We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
> language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
> technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
> listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
> be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
> to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.
>
> But all in all, checkusers should be a common good, just as our
> developers right now are (and, hell, just as your board members are).

I think that this solution has some merit, but there exists the tricky
problem of language - if one does not read Russian, then no matter how
accurate and wide one's technical knowledge is, there is no point being
asked to carry out CheckUser checks on people. It isn't merely about
technical proficiency, but about judgement of editing patterns, of
style, and of content. This is something that is definitely
language-specific.

Yours sincerely,
- --
James D. Forrester
Wikimedia : [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]
E-Mail : james@jdforrester.org
IM (MSN) : jamesdforrester@hotmail.com
Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
The biggest problem with the English arbitrators is that due to the
press of arbitration business they have little time to do justice to
checkuser requests from other users. Access is vital to carrying out
arbitration duties in some cases, however. One side effect is that
some arbitrators have been drawn away from arbitration duties,
perhaps for the good of the project as a whole, but drawn away
nevertheless.

I think the technical expertise problem is exaggerated, so long as
the investigator relies on investigations of editing patterns also.

Fred

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
--- Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What that suggest me is this
>
> We should not have checkusers with the tool access
> on a one project/one
> language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those
> should all have good
> technical abilities. Those would have access
> everywhere. They would be
> listed on meta with their language ability. The
> biggest projects would
> be used to always ask to their favorites. The small
> languages will try
> to find the one with a basic knowledge of their
> language if they wish.
>
> But all in all, checkusers should be a common good,
> just as our
> developers right now are (and, hell, just as your
> board members are).
>
> Ant

I think this is a good solution also. I would also
like to see people with current access have an option
of joining the pool or not. That should preveent us
repeating the problem of thinking we have people to
help the smaller project on paper, but in reality no
one has the time or else feels uncomfortable working
with unfamilar projects. Honestly I am sure there are
some members of enWP arcom who have access but do not
have time to answer requests at large. I have never
had an issue with working through someone else to get
this information. I do not mind not having a local
checkuser. However I would like to be sure that this
pool will actually be made up people who are wiling to
make themselves available. And I can understand how
the very large projects do need dedicated checkusers
for something like arbcom. So I think we need a
policy that allows for a large pool of people to work
checkuser at large along with some dedicated to
projects. I know this sounds alot like the current
policy. However the pool of checkusers should be
larger and and full of more technical expertise than
the pool of stewrads. Also they will be people who
have explicitly offered to use their access for
problems on small projects. So although it looks
similar to current policy on paper, I think that it
would have different results.

Birgitte SB

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
This is certainly correct in my case. You can make me feel bad by
making requests to me personally, but you can't enlarge my time or
energy.

Fred

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
James D. Forrester wrote:

> Anthere wrote:
>
> [Snip "CheckUser is a bit of a mess"]
>

>>I plead guilty for part of this.
>

> I don't think that it's fair to blame anyone in particular for a
> possibly non-optimal situation;

No. The issue is absolutely not to *blame* anyone. We all tried to find
a solution at that time, and we may just not have found the best
solution. I wanted to insist that I was part of that bad choice because
I think it is more honest and because I do not want anyone jumping on
this and saying "but it is your fault, so why do you bug us today ?".
We did what we thought best. It is worth analysing (imho) where and why
we chose directions which were not the best so that we can now modify this.

>>What that suggest me is this
>>
>>We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
>>language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
>>technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
>>listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
>>be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
>>to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.
>>
>>But all in all, checkusers should be a common good, just as our
>>developers right now are (and, hell, just as your board members are).
>

> I think that this solution has some merit, but there exists the tricky
> problem of language - if one does not read Russian, then no matter how
> accurate and wide one's technical knowledge is, there is no point being
> asked to carry out CheckUser checks on people. It isn't merely about
> technical proficiency, but about judgement of editing patterns, of
> style, and of content. This is something that is definitely
> language-specific.
>
> Yours sincerely,
> - --
> James D. Forrester

Yup. But this is no different of what developers were doing for us
before. For example, when Tim Starling made a check for us, he was not
alone. It was rather an exchange where userA explained the issue, Tim
gave a couple of answers, depending on the answers userA explored and
possibly ask more information from Tim.

It is interesting though, that you give the example of a russian
problem. We currently have standing in the board queue on OTRS, a
request from a russian editor, asking that we investigate the case of a
sysop abuse over there. The request travelled back and fro between the
info en queue and the board queue. And since no one on either queue
reads russian... well nothing happens. The *good* solution would be to
know a trusted russian editor, who could be asked to give information.

Similarly, the investigation could be carried by a team made of the
checkuser and a trusted russian editor.

I absolutely agree that there is a language issue. Which suggests that
we should do our best to have at least one russian-speaking checkuser.
But would it be more reasonable to have one russian-speaking checkuser
with overall activity over all russian-speaking projects plus the
serbian ones because he would also speak serbian

or one checkuser in ru.wikipedia, one in ru.wikibooks, one in
ru.wiktionary, one in sr.wikipedia etc...

ant

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
2006/4/22, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:

> Now, people have checkuser status only on one project/one language. Just
> as if Brion had help ip checking on the french wiktionary, whilst Tim
> was dedicated to the english wikipedia and Taw to the polish wikibooks.
> It makes NO sense whatsoever. The *only* unigue advantage of the current
> system is to understand the language of the project the checkuser make
> the job.

Not just understanding the language, also knowing the community,
including for example the background of the request. For example, I
once (before I de-sysoped myself) did a checkuser on two Dutch users A
and B, where B was believed to be a sockpuppet of A. Doing the check,
I found that B was not A, but that he was identical to some other
user.

I have chosen to report (to the sysops) about this outcome by saying
exactly the above. I did not give the actual other identity of B
(although later it came to be known through no action of mine),
because he was not involved under his other name in the dispute in
question. Someone who was not as well-versed might not know what issue
the request was about, or whether simply saying that he was a known
user would identify him, or even whether this other identity of B was
the better-known one etc.

--
Andre Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels
Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> And the checkusers with the technical ability... pretty much offer to
> help anyone who needs help.

I can't speak for all 59 people who have CheckUser access, but I must
state that I don't "help any one who needs help". The culture on
enwiki regarding CheckUser is to be pretty stingy about its use, and
we don't use it without demonstrated good cause. I think we reject
about 90% of requests.

I am much more likely to accept a request if it comes from someone I
know to be reliable. Note that this does not mean all admins, as I
don't know all admins to be reliable. Anybody else has to convince me
that there is a basis for suspicion.

> We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
> language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
> technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
> listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
> be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
> to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.

I think this is fundamentally a good idea, although I also think that
the appointment of CheckUsers should come down from the Foundation,
not up from member wikis; at the very least, every appointment should
must also be approved by the Foundation or by some body set up by the
Foundation for that purpose. And the Foundation absolutely must be in
possession of identifying information for each and every CheckUser:
real name, location, email address, preferably other means of contact.

Kelly
Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/06, Fred Bauder <fredbaud@ctelco.net> wrote:
> The biggest problem with the English arbitrators is that due to the
> press of arbitration business they have little time to do justice to
> checkuser requests from other users. Access is vital to carrying out
> arbitration duties in some cases, however. One side effect is that
> some arbitrators have been drawn away from arbitration duties,
> perhaps for the good of the project as a whole, but drawn away
> nevertheless.

This is probably the reason why Essjay and myself do the bulk of the
checkuser activities on enwiki.

Kelly
Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> And the checkusers with the technical ability... pretty much offer to
>> help anyone who needs help.
>>

> I can't speak for all 59 people who have CheckUser access, but I must
> state that I don't "help any one who needs help". The culture on
> enwiki regarding CheckUser is to be pretty stingy about its use, and
> we don't use it without demonstrated good cause. I think we reject
> about 90% of requests.
>
> I am much more likely to accept a request if it comes from someone I
> know to be reliable. Note that this does not mean all admins, as I
> don't know all admins to be reliable. Anybody else has to convince me
> that there is a basis for suspicion.

I agree here; we tend to be careful with what requests we run. I think,
however, that Anthere was referring to some of our recent comments,
rather than our proclivity to run particular requests; that is, Kelly &
I have been saying "We'd be happy to do checks for other wikis if we had
access to do them," and Anthere's comment is in relation to this, that
we are willing to help any other project that needs us if given access.
>> We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
>> language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
>> technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
>> listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
>> be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
>> to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.
>>

> I think this is fundamentally a good idea, although I also think that
> the appointment of CheckUsers should come down from the Foundation,
> not up from member wikis; at the very least, every appointment should
> must also be approved by the Foundation or by some body set up by the
> Foundation for that purpose.
I don't have a problem with requests coming from Arbitration Committees;
I think that qualifies as a "body set up by the Foundation" and the
current policy would qualify AC's as "for that purpose." I don't think
the Board has the time to handle all requests; as I understand it, they
don't even oversee the creation of new developers, but rather leave that
to the existing root-level developers en banc.
> And the Foundation absolutely must be in
> possession of identifying information for each and every CheckUser:
> real name, location, email address, preferably other means of contact.

Obviously, something I'd disagree with, being rather committed to not
ending up with my personal information on an attack site (as happened to
a good friend of mine from Wikipedia this past week), nor do I want my
wiki contributions to end up on my employer's desk (as also happened to
my friend, and is the reason he is no longer a Wikipedian). If it comes
down to having to submit to losing my career or keep working on this
project, as much as I love Wikimedia, and as dedicated as I am to it,
I'm afraid I'll have to go. I just can't afford to lose everything I've
spent my life obtaining in order to chase sockpuppets, nor, considering
some of the mentally unstable individuals we attract, do I wish to put
my life and the lives of people I love in danger. As long as I can help
this project without having to put my life or career in jeopardy, I'm
more than willing to do it, but the day I have to say "My life's work
and indeed my life itself is less important than Wikipedia" is the day I
need to get out of it entirely. I'd venture to guess that there are a
significant number of other users who feel the same way.

Essjay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org/

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We should not have checkusers with the tool access on a one project/one
> language, but a POOL of COMMON checkusers. Those should all have good
> technical abilities. Those would have access everywhere. They would be
> listed on meta with their language ability. The biggest projects would
> be used to always ask to their favorites. The small languages will try
> to find the one with a basic knowledge of their language if they wish.
>
> But all in all, checkusers should be a common good, just as our
> developers right now are (and, hell, just as your board members are).
>
> Ant

I agree with this; making checkuser a global permission would be
absolutely fine with me.

Jesse Martin wrote:
> I agree with this proposal.
>
> The smaller wikis cannot benefit from checks because there are far too few
> users with global CheckUser access; on the other hand, they cannot have
> local checks because their candidates are unknown to and not trusted by the
> wider community. Local CheckUser access furthermore causes previously
> discussed confidentiality problems, since the number of users required would
> be disproportionately high in order to serve every project in need.
>
> Having a relatively small number of users with global CheckUser access,
> perhaps combined with the proposed 'Guest' CheckUser process, will much
> better serve a middle ground between access and confidentiality. These users
> would probably be most active on projects they participate most in, serving
> as the de facto local CheckUser agents. Projects without such local agents
> would likely still be forced to wait, but the larger number of CheckUser
> agents may help alleviate waiting times on the Meta request page.

I can't speak for other checkers, I can only speak for myself, but I
guarantee that I will not make any project wait an undue amount of time
(I don't consider 24 hours or so to be undue, unless it is an absolute
emergency [.e.g., a mass vandal attack that needs checkuser to pull the
IP and rangeblock]; even checkusers have to venture into the offline
world once in a while :-D ).

However, I can say that the amount of time you wait will be dramatically
reduced by pointing out your request somewhere I look frequently, i.e.,
my en.wiki talk page, email, or on IRC. I check my meta watchlist once,
maybe twice a day, because there just isn't enough activity on Meta to
require checking it every fifteen minutes. I check my en.wiki talk page
whenever the little bar pops up on my page; I never ignore it (as it
drives me crazy until I do check it. I get an alert whenever I get a new
email, and a new private message forces itself to the front of my
screen. My point: Mediums that notify me of new activity immediately get
checked more frequently.

As I understand it, requests are made and will continue to be made on a
page on Meta; rather than expecting stewards or checkusers to put the
page on autorefresh and check it every ten seconds, it would be helpful
for users who want a check done right away to call our attention to it.
I think others can testify that whenever they point a request out to me
directly, rather than just waiting for the next time someone checks the
page, I get it taken care of right away; I think this is a pretty
standard practice, really: pointing a developer to the bugzilla report
you filed gets it noticed more quickly, pointing a steward to your
permissions request gets it done right away, etc.

Re: CheckUser (thoughts) [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:

>And as a result of this mix-up... because of the need to "trust" the
>checkuser, we have zizanie (does that exist in english ?). We have
>internal fight and rancor).

Larouse first describes this as "discord" but the French word
"désaccord" seems very weak; it lacks the nuances of "zizanie". Perhaps
"stir things up" works. The idea that a problem was started where there
was none before does not easily translate into English. Does this help?

Ec