Mailing List Archive

Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny
I have been a Wikipedian since 2001 and a MediaWiki developer since
2002. I was Chief Research Officer of the Foundation from May to
August 2005. I initiated two of Wikimedia's projects, Wikinews and the
Wikimedia Commons, and have made vital contributions to both. I have
made roughly 15,000 edits to the English Wikipedia, and uploaded about
15,000 files to Wikimedia Commons. A list of my overall contributions
can be found at

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence

and the linked to pages; this does not include my numerous
international activities such as conference speeches, as well as my
book and articles about Wikipedia. I have never been blocked before,
nor have I ever been subject to an Arbitration Committee ruling (in
fact, I was one of Jimmy's original suggestions for the first ArbCom,
and one of the people who proposed that very committee).

I have just been indefinitely blocked from the English Wikipedia, and
desysopped, by user Danny, under the new nickname "Dannyisme", as an
"Office Action" for alleged "reckless endangerment" which was not
specified further. I have called Danny on the phone, but he said that
he was not willing to discuss the issue, and that I should instead
talk to the Foundation attorney instead. To my knowledge, this is the
first time office authority has been used to indefinitely block and
desysop a user.

What happened?

Yesterday, Danny radically shortened and protected two pages,
[[Newsmax.com]] and [[Christopher Ruddy]]. The protection summary was
"POV qualms" (nothing else), and there was only the following brief
comment on Talk:NewsMax.com:

"This article has been stubbed and protected pending resolution of POV
issues. Danny 19:26, 17 April 2006 (UTC)"

There was no mention of WP:OFFICE in the edit summary or on the talk
page. Danny did not apply the special Office template, {{office}}, nor
did he use the "Dannyisme" account that he created for Foundation
purposes, nor did he list the page on WP:OFFICE. Instead, he applied
the regular {{protected}} template.

Given that Danny has now more explicitly emphasized this distinction
between his role as a Foundation employee and a regular wiki user, I
assumed he was acting here as a normal sysop and editor, and
unprotected the two pages, with a brief reference to the protection
policy. I also asked Danny, on [[Talk:NewsMax.com]], to make it
explicit whether the protection was under WP:OFFICE. I would not have
reprotected, of course, if he had simply said that they were, and left
it at that.

I apologize if this action was perceived as "reckless", but I must
emphasize that I was acting in good faith, and that I would much
appreciate it if all office actions would be labeled as such. I was
under the impression that this was the case given past actions. In any
case, I think that the indefinite block and desysopping is very much
an overreaction, and would like to hereby publicly appeal to Danny,
the community and the Board (since Danny's authority is above the
ArbCom) to restore my editing privileges as well as my sysop status. I
pledge to be more careful in these matters in the future.

Thanks for reading,

Erik
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Greetings:

I am the attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation in the US. I work for
the Board. Among my responsibilities is keeping the Foundation out of
legal trouble and responding to lawsuits, actual and threatened. I have
had a long chat with Eric Moeller about the circumstances that resulted
in his ban (since reverted by someone Being Bold). I also believe that
the misunderstanding, although in good faith, still presented a risk to
the Foundation.

The issue of blocked articles is a complex one, and in many instances
can be the visible result of careful consideration on the part of
Foundation board members, staff, and other admins/bureaucrats/sysops who
have knowledge of the facts and circumstances. Often the community at
large will not have any idea what the facts and underlying
considerations are. Not everything that involves Wikipedia is public,
nor should it be. The typical user or admin doesn't have all the pieces
of the puzzle. Don't let hubris get the better of you.

There may be those of you who have yet to experience the American legal
system in any fashion, save for a movie or two. Dealing with lawsuits
is what I do for a living. Avoiding them is also what I do for a
living. My job is to make sure that the Foundation has the best legal
advice and best options open to it to keep things running smoothly, and
to not land in court unless all other avenues have been exhausted.

The WP:OFFICE policy is still in its infancy. People will challenge it
through their words and actions. Everyone is entitled to his or her
opinion. But I believe everyone who believes in the future success and
sustainability of the project must also recognize the need for judicious
use of confidentiality at the Foundation level. The Foundation officers
and Board members have a fiduciary obligation to the organization, as I
do as a lawyer for my client.

Certain members of the community (and notably, not Mr. Moeller) have
expressed dissatisfaction about WP:OFFICE and its use. There is a
healthy debate yet to be had about it. We can have that debate, but I
also have to make clear that the Foundation's obligations are greater
than loyalty to any one user. Even someone with the history of
contributions to Mr. Moeller.

-BradPatrick

Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
Fowler White Boggs Banker
501 E. Kennedy Blvd.
Suite 1700
Tampa, FL 33602-5239
bpatrick@fowlerwhite.com

[...]

Disclaimer under IRS Circular 230: Unless expressly stated otherwise in this transmission, nothing contained in this message is intended or written to be used, nor may it be relied upon or used, (1) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended and/or (2) by any person to support the promotion or marketing of or to recommend any Federal tax transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this message.

If you desire a formal opinion on a particular tax matter for the purpose of avoiding the imposition of any penalties, we will discuss the additional Treasury requirements that must be met and whether it is possible to meet those requirements under the circumstances, as well as the anticipated time and additional fees involved.
Confidentiality Disclaimer: This e-mail message and any attachments are private communication sent by a law firm, Fowler White Boggs Banker P.A., and may contain confidential, legally privileged information meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, then delete the e-mail and any attachments from your system. Thank you.
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
2006/4/19, Patrick, Brad <bpatrick@fowlerwhite.com>:

> Certain members of the community (and notably, not Mr. Moeller) have
> expressed dissatisfaction about WP:OFFICE and its use. There is a
> healthy debate yet to be had about it. We can have that debate, but I
> also have to make clear that the Foundation's obligations are greater
> than loyalty to any one user. Even someone with the history of
> contributions to Mr. Moeller.

I very much rescind this statement. Apparently the Foundation's
obligations are so important that going against them is ground for
desysopping and blocking, whereas loyalty to users is not even
important enough to tell them in advance what actions will lead to an
indefinite ban. It makes me wonder why on earth I am still cooperating
with this.

--
Andre Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
On 4/19/06, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:
> I very much rescind this statement. Apparently the Foundation's
> obligations are so important that going against them is ground for
> desysopping and blocking, whereas loyalty to users is not even
> important enough to tell them in advance what actions will lead to an
> indefinite ban. It makes me wonder why on earth I am still cooperating
> with this.

Indefinitely doesn't mean forever. Indefinite means "we'll lift it
when it's safe to do so".

If, on the other hand, you want to prevent the Foundation from being
able to defend itself against legal threats, then by all means take
away the ability of the Foundation to respond to legal threats.
People who put themselves into harm's way will get run over from time
to time. You can safely assume that anything Danny does that appears
difficult to explain is probably him responding to a legal threat in
some way, since that's basically all he does anymore. They are *that*
frequent.

Kelly
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
2006/4/20, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin@gmail.com>:

> Indefinitely doesn't mean forever. Indefinite means "we'll lift it
> when it's safe to do so".

So apparently Erik's presence on the Wiki was unsafe?

> If, on the other hand, you want to prevent the Foundation from being
> able to defend itself against legal threats, then by all means take
> away the ability of the Foundation to respond to legal threats.

Was there a legal threat because of Erik's ability to edit articles?
Or be a moderator? I don't think so. I very well believe you if you
say the protecting of the articles was based on a legal threat. But in
that case re-protecting them, with a very short statement that there
are reasons of legal accountability to do so, seems like the way to
go. Not blocking someone who made an honest mistake in their
activities as a moderator.

> People who put themselves into harm's way will get run over from time
> to time. You can safely assume that anything Danny does that appears
> difficult to explain is probably him responding to a legal threat in
> some way, since that's basically all he does anymore. They are *that*
> frequent.

If it is a legal threat to have Erik as a moderator or editor, that's scary.

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Kelly said:
> People who put themselves into harm's way will get run over from time
to time.
> You can safely assume that anything Danny does that appears difficult
> explain is probably him responding to a legal threat in some way,
since that's
> basically all he does anymore. They are *that* frequent.

Put simply, you're asking us to give Danny the benefit of the doubt.
That's fair enough, but don't you think that Eloquence has earned the
benefit of the doubt, as well? Of course he has, but Danny certainly
didn't give it to him.

-strom
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Patrick, Brad wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>I am the attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation in the US. I work for
>the Board. Among my responsibilities is keeping the Foundation out of
>legal trouble and responding to lawsuits, actual and threatened. I have
>had a long chat with Eric Moeller about the circumstances that resulted
>in his ban (since reverted by someone Being Bold). I also believe that
>the misunderstanding, although in good faith, still presented a risk to
>the Foundation.

What is your qualified legal opinion regarding Eric's suggestion that
the work be labeled appropriately so that other members of the community
(or he) do not repeat this mistake in the future?

Would proper labeling reduce the Foundation's legal risks in the future?

This is not a trivial rhetorical question. In the early days of
Wikipedia it was often unclear in what capacity various agents such as
Bomis employees were acting. Now with the success of the Wikimedia
Foundation in fund raising we once again have employees and professional
staff .... and there appears to be some form of communications failure
or conflict once again occuring between compensated professionals and
community volunteers.

>The issue of blocked articles is a complex one, and in many instances
>can be the visible result of careful consideration on the part of
>Foundation board members, staff, and other admins/bureaucrats/sysops who
>have knowledge of the facts and circumstances. Often the community at
>large will not have any idea what the facts and underlying
>considerations are. Not everything that involves Wikipedia is public,
>nor should it be. The typical user or admin doesn't have all the pieces
>of the puzzle. Don't let hubris get the better of you.
>
>There may be those of you who have yet to experience the American legal
>system in any fashion, save for a movie or two. Dealing with lawsuits
>is what I do for a living. Avoiding them is also what I do for a
>living. My job is to make sure that the Foundation has the best legal
>advice and best options open to it to keep things running smoothly, and
>to not land in court unless all other avenues have been exhausted.

Are you paid by Foundation funds or by personal funds of members of the
stacked Board?

In a conflict of interest between the Foundation's responsiblities to
the pulblic as per Florida law and the Board members' personal interests
who do you represent?

>The WP:OFFICE policy is still in its infancy. People will challenge it
>through their words and actions. Everyone is entitled to his or her
>opinion. But I believe everyone who believes in the future success and
>sustainability of the project must also recognize the need for judicious
>use of confidentiality at the Foundation level.

Personally I do not see any need for a non profit public foundation
dedicated to legally publishing free information created by the public
at large; and located physically in the United States of America; to be
engaged in excessive secrecy. Certainly employee social security
numbers should be kept private in keeping with U.S. laws. The need for
secret or private communications tools such as restricted email lists,
non public meetings, etc. escapes me. Certainly I would advise you to
comply strictly with all provisions of the U.S. Patriot Act when called
upon by warrant to cooperate with U.S. Federal authorities, unless you
enjoy small cubicle environments.

It has been my experience that often lawyers cite specific sections of
U.S. or State code or regulations or even specific phrases or case law
when informing lay people of their opinions regarding legal matters.

Perhaps if you or the office were to write up some specific
recommendations regarding how the community or the Wikimedia Foundation
or your client could avoid legal liabilities by actually complying with
the applicable laws rather than simply recommending that the Foundation
get secretive about its "private" matters we could avoid some legal
risks in the future?

In your august opinion; does arbitrary, capricious, or excessive action
towards an individual such as Eric, who has demonstrably contributed in
large positive measurable ways to the community's projects in the past
incur any legal, operational, or measurable avoidable risks for the
Foundation, the stacked Board, or their legal advisers?

I suggest the community members present on the Foundation-L mailing list
consider a placebo vote regarding whether the Wikimedia Foundation
should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him for the long distance
calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.

I vote Aye. Sorry about the inconvenience Eric. I value your past and
future contributions and I think the Wikimedia Foundation should send
you a reimbursement check for the no doubt expensive phone calls
necessary to straighten out this mess so that you can continue
volunteering your efforts to our projects.

>The Foundation officers
>and Board members have a fiduciary obligation to the organization, as I
>do as a lawyer for my client.
>
>Certain members of the community (and notably, not Mr. Moeller) have
>expressed dissatisfaction about WP:OFFICE and its use. There is a
>healthy debate yet to be had about it. We can have that debate, but I
>also have to make clear that the Foundation's obligations are greater
>than loyalty to any one user. Even someone with the history of
>contributions to Mr. Moeller.

Are the Wikimedia Foundation's obligations greater than loyalty to a
single founder or stacked Board of Directors?

In the event of a conflict do you work for the stacked Board, Jimmy
Wales, or the Foundation? Is your client the stacked Board, Jimmy
Wales, or the Wikimedia Foundation? What is the legal signature on
checks sent to your office in response to invoices? Does U.S. and/or
Florida law distinguish between individuals in offices and the
organization itself?

Does the Wikimedia Foundation have any fiduciary responsibilities to the
contributing public and the public at large under U.S. law? Are these
responsibilities defined exclusively by U.S. law or are the public
solicitations used to gather public donations considered somewhat
influential or binding in Florida State or U.S. Federal courts?

Regards,
Michael R. Irwin
aka,
lazyquasar or
mirwin, the lying troll

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
--- "Michael R. Irwin" <michael_irwin@verizon.net>
wrote:

> I suggest the community members present on the
> Foundation-L mailing list
> consider a placebo vote regarding whether the
> Wikimedia Foundation
> should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him
> for the long distance
> calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.

I have not followed the details of this, but I will
tell you what I think in general terms. I am amazed
how many people have written this list with the
underlying idea that it is proper to immediately
revert the admin action of *any* other admin without
disscusiion. I think that in itself would deserve
some sort of reprimand, and shows unsuitability as an
admin.

First Eric commits what I consider a breach of
etiquette by unprotecting a page on his own. This may
be just a difference in culture, but at WS we expect
admins to request protection/unprotection like any
other editor and a separate admin will carry out the
action. So to unprotect a page on your own volition
is like closing a deletion where you made the original
nomination in my eyes. Next is the fact that page had
*just* been protected. If it had just been done by
any average admin, I would question if Eric was trying
to start a wheel war at this point. Then you add the
fact that the admin action was made by a *steward*,
which is a highly trusted position. Now any idea the
Eric is acting in good faith is very hard to believe.
Do you really believe it is acceptable to revert a
steward on any admin action without discussion? And
on top of that Danny is a Foundation employee who
often makes non-editorial decisions. I don't know how
Eric could not have known he was asking for trouble.
The fact that I have seen so many responses purporting
that Eric made an honest mistake only makes me certain
that a strong message needed to be sent. I will not
comment on the actual reprimands, because I am not
familiar with what generally warrants desysoping at
WP. I cannot express how surprised I am that you
think Eric should get an apology. I do hope he can be
repatriated to the project and that everyone who at
first thought his actions where acceptable realizes
their error.

I wonder sometimes whether people involved in this
project, really take it seriously. This is real
organization here with real concerns and a real
hierarchy. We elect stewards for a reason, so that
when they do something it can be trusted. We ask
people like Danny to take responsibility to do the
things that must be done for this organization. We
must trust them.

If you do not trust the organization, work to change
it on the big issues that your distrust stems from.
Picking a fight with every decision however will get
you no results. People will simply tune you out. Not
everyone (or even many people) can be aware of the
details of every decision. If this is the reason for
any lack of trust, I think the problem is more with
you. Because no matter who sits on the board that is
not going to change.

BirgitteSB

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have not followed the details of this, but I will
> tell you what I think in general terms. I am amazed
> how many people have written this list with the
> underlying idea that it is proper to immediately
> revert the admin action of *any* other admin without
> disscusiion. I think that in itself would deserve
> some sort of reprimand, and shows unsuitability as an
> admin.

Indeed. And that is part of the problem with the English Wikipedia
right now: it has become acceptable to revert admins without
discussion. Attempts to declare a policy against such behavior have
been met with considerable resistance; most admins want to give people
a few "free shots" (one revert a day, one revert a week, various other
policies that would tolerate low-level wheel warring, etc.). It is my
impression that most of our admins have a broad sense of entitlement,
without the corresponding sense of responsibility that should go with
it. It's along the lines of "Assume good faith for me, but not for
you", which is another cultural issue that enwiki is having problems
with, to be honest (whch is another issue that comes back to the
pervasive culture of entitlement on enwiki).

> First Eric commits what I consider a breach of
> etiquette by unprotecting a page on his own. This may
> be just a difference in culture, but at WS we expect
> admins to request protection/unprotection like any
> other editor and a separate admin will carry out the
> action. So to unprotect a page on your own volition
> is like closing a deletion where you made the original
> nomination in my eyes. Next is the fact that page had
> *just* been protected. If it had just been done by
> any average admin, I would question if Eric was trying
> to start a wheel war at this point. Then you add the
> fact that the admin action was made by a *steward*,
> which is a highly trusted position. Now any idea the
> Eric is acting in good faith is very hard to believe.
> Do you really believe it is acceptable to revert a
> steward on any admin action without discussion? And
> on top of that Danny is a Foundation employee who
> often makes non-editorial decisions. I don't know how
> Eric could not have known he was asking for trouble.

I also find it very hard to believe that Erik was acting in good
faith. I remain utterly perplexed by many of the comments in this
discussion, especially the ones from members of the Board, who I would
normally expect to refrain from contradicting their valued employee so
obviously; normally when a valued high-visibility employee makes a
mistake (and I am not saying that Danny did) the public statement
comes in the form of a carefully worded press release from the
organization as an entity, not as offhand rebuking comments from
random Board members, and normally the affected employee is informed
in advance. But I guess I'm used to a more professional approach from
a leading non-profit organization.

> The fact that I have seen so many responses purporting
> that Eric made an honest mistake only makes me certain
> that a strong message needed to be sent. I will not
> comment on the actual reprimands, because I am not
> familiar with what generally warrants desysoping at
> WP. I cannot express how surprised I am that you
> think Eric should get an apology. I do hope he can be
> repatriated to the project and that everyone who at
> first thought his actions where acceptable realizes
> their error.
>
> I wonder sometimes whether people involved in this
> project, really take it seriously. This is real
> organization here with real concerns and a real
> hierarchy. We elect stewards for a reason, so that
> when they do something it can be trusted. We ask
> people like Danny to take responsibility to do the
> things that must be done for this organization. We
> must trust them.
>
> If you do not trust the organization, work to change
> it on the big issues that your distrust stems from.
> Picking a fight with every decision however will get
> you no results. People will simply tune you out. Not
> everyone (or even many people) can be aware of the
> details of every decision. If this is the reason for
> any lack of trust, I think the problem is more with
> you. Because no matter who sits on the board that is
> not going to change.

I can't say much more than that I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments.

Kelly
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:
> I also find it very hard to believe that Erik was acting in good
> faith. I remain utterly perplexed by many of the comments in this
> discussion, especially the ones from members of the Board, who I would
> normally expect to refrain from contradicting their valued employee so
> obviously; normally when a valued high-visibility employee makes a
> mistake (and I am not saying that Danny did) the public statement
> comes in the form of a carefully worded press release from the
> organization as an entity, not as offhand rebuking comments from
> random Board members, and normally the affected employee is informed
> in advance. But I guess I'm used to a more professional approach from
> a leading non-profit organization.

Whatever statements have been made by Board members, including this
statement, are made by them as individuals and only carry whatever
authority the community deems appropriate for that individual. And you
are right, a more professional organization would handle these matters
quite differently.

Michael
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have not followed the details of this, but I will
> tell you what I think in general terms. I am amazed
> how many people have written this list with the
> underlying idea that it is proper to immediately
> revert the admin action of *any* other admin without
> disscusiion. I think that in itself would deserve
> some sort of reprimand, and shows unsuitability as an
> admin.
>
> First Eric commits what I consider a breach of
> etiquette by unprotecting a page on his own. This may
> be just a difference in culture, but at WS we expect
> admins to request protection/unprotection like any
> other editor and a separate admin will carry out the
> action. So to unprotect a page on your own volition
> is like closing a deletion where you made the original
> nomination in my eyes. Next is the fact that page had
> *just* been protected. If it had just been done by
> any average admin, I would question if Eric was trying
> to start a wheel war at this point. Then you add the
> fact that the admin action was made by a *steward*,
> which is a highly trusted position. Now any idea the
> Eric is acting in good faith is very hard to believe.
> Do you really believe it is acceptable to revert a
> steward on any admin action without discussion? And
> on top of that Danny is a Foundation employee who
> often makes non-editorial decisions. I don't know how
> Eric could not have known he was asking for trouble.
> The fact that I have seen so many responses purporting
> that Eric made an honest mistake only makes me certain
> that a strong message needed to be sent. I will not
> comment on the actual reprimands, because I am not
> familiar with what generally warrants desysoping at
> WP. I cannot express how surprised I am that you
> think Eric should get an apology. I do hope he can be
> repatriated to the project and that everyone who at
> first thought his actions where acceptable realizes
> their error.
>
> I wonder sometimes whether people involved in this
> project, really take it seriously. This is real
> organization here with real concerns and a real
> hierarchy. We elect stewards for a reason, so that
> when they do something it can be trusted. We ask
> people like Danny to take responsibility to do the
> things that must be done for this organization. We
> must trust them.
>
> If you do not trust the organization, work to change
> it on the big issues that your distrust stems from.
> Picking a fight with every decision however will get
> you no results. People will simply tune you out. Not
> everyone (or even many people) can be aware of the
> details of every decision. If this is the reason for
> any lack of trust, I think the problem is more with
> you. Because no matter who sits on the board that is
> not going to change.
>

> BirgitteSB

I agree with Birgitte here, and I've left in the whole post because
I'm responding to all of it.

First of all, English WP has been in a bit of upheaval lately about
undiscussed reversal of admin actions, so it should be on someone's
mind even without knowing that it is Danny.

Secondly: Erik is an intelligent person who generally knows what's up.
I would think seeing Danny protect a page and want to lay low about it
would be a hint to wait for more information to be clear first. Danny
is not generally one to stub and protect articles simply because he
doesn't like them, and knows well enough that what he did is outside
normal procedure. Why this one? And Erik is not generally one to go
about monitoring page protections. Why this one?

Even unmarked: when I see something fishy, done by a steward, a
longtime contributor, and an employee of the Foundation, and he seems
hesitant to talk about it, I am inclined to first give him the benefit
of the doubt. And then there is the normal courtesy you give to any
other admin by asking about their actions first. Even if it were
simply Danny acting as an editor, it is not so important to unprotect
that it needs to be done Right Now, before you've found out what's up.
If he's left it a while, and still no explanation is forthcoming and
there's no indication that anything is up, that's different.

WP:OFFICE is pretty much a invitation to every troll on the wiki to
come and make noise -- and now, apparently, to grab the deleted
material and post it elsewhere. It's been Slashdotted; we can't claim
we don't know about it, and it's not exactly something we want. (Yes,
good editors are questioning, too, but they are doing it sanely.)
While it has been a good barrier to prevent admins from mistakenly
undoing Danny's admin actions there, it has failed to be a means to
handle potential problems in a discreet manner and instead only draws
more attention to it. This seems to have been an attempt to try to
minimize public attention and be sure the problematic material was not
more widely distributed. It didn't work, but it was a reasonable
attempt, though unclear.

The immediate slam of a response was harsh, and has made something
seemingly intended to be low profile into more drama than even an
office protection. (The response would be completely appropriate if it
were explicitly an office protection; I will accept that it wasn't
fully clear.) But like the protection itself, "indefinite" blocks
often mean "until the situation is resolved". (I note that protections
have no time limit; they're all indefinite.) A "whoa, hold on, we need
to clear some things up before this goes any further" is called for in
this case with the knowledge than blocks can be lifted and situations
talked out.

In general: I am not opposed to the office keeping some things secret.
I'm not an employee of the Foundation nor am I a lawyer, but I have an
inkling of what such people do and I don't believe it is their
obligation to inform me or anyone else without a direct interest about
the full details of every sticky situation that comes up. If Danny
acts upon a potential situation, I believe that it is legitimate
without having to grill him about the exact details, as I don't think
it makes any sense for him to waste his time on situations that are
not, and if I stop thinking that Danny and Brad and Jimbo are acting
in the best interest of the project, then there is no point in my
continuing to participate. I expect to be informed where I should have
a say in the outcome, but legal issues are partially what we have a
Foundation *for*.

The communication could have been done better and the lack of clarity
about it caused problems; experiment failed. However... Erik is
reinstated and the misunderstandings cleared up, yes? The article is
protected, marked WP:OFFICE, and will be cleaned and restored in due
course as such usually are? Yes? Good. Now for the problem of how to
handle these situations without becoming a troll magnet in the
process.

-Kat

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage | G/AIM:LucidWaking
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net | email for phone
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>Patrick, Brad wrote
>
>>The WP:OFFICE policy is still in its infancy. People will challenge it
>>through their words and actions. Everyone is entitled to his or her
>>opinion. But I believe everyone who believes in the future success and
>>sustainability of the project must also recognize the need for judicious
>>use of confidentiality at the Foundation level.
>>

>Personally I do not see any need for a non profit public foundation
>dedicated to legally publishing free information created by the public
>at large; and located physically in the United States of America; to be
>engaged in excessive secrecy. Certainly employee social security
>numbers should be kept private in keeping with U.S. laws. The need for
>secret or private communications tools such as restricted email lists,
>non public meetings, etc. escapes me.

While I believe in more openness, I don't think that your prosecutorial
tone is warranted. Some confidentiality is needed, but those who
suppress information with inadequate explanation have to accept the
consequence that people will complain loudly.

>Certainly I would advise you to
>comply strictly with all provisions of the U.S. Patriot Act when called
>upon by warrant to cooperate with U.S. Federal authorities, unless you
>enjoy small cubicle environments.

That's remarkably inconsistent of you. You begin by complaining about
excessive secrecy then contradict yourself by supporting a piece of
totalitarian trash that would impose just that, notably in forbidding
people who have received information requests from letting anyone know
that they have received such requests. When it comes to circumventing
laws the U.S. Patriot Act is fair game.

>It has been my experience that often lawyers cite specific sections of
>U.S. or State code or regulations or even specific phrases or case law
>when informing lay people of their opinions regarding legal matters.

Not always. Most speak from authority and are willing to exploit that
logical fallacy to its fullest. If you demand verifiability it comes at
a price.

>Perhaps if you or the office were to write up some specific
>recommendations regarding how the community or the Wikimedia Foundation
>or your client could avoid legal liabilities by actually complying with
>the applicable laws rather than simply recommending that the Foundation
>get secretive about its "private" matters we could avoid some legal
>risks in the future?

Clarifying the parameters of confidentiality would be a worthwhile
debate. Simply doing things because one is in a position to know that
it should be done in secret is not enough. Even the most trusted people
need to be accountable.

>I suggest the community members present on the Foundation-L mailing list
>consider a placebo vote regarding whether the Wikimedia Foundation
>should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him for the long distance
>calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.

"Placebo vote" sounds like an interesting concept. I interpret such a
vote as one designed to make people feel good without accomplishing
anything. :-)

>>The Foundation officers
>>and Board members have a fiduciary obligation to the organization, as I
>>do as a lawyer for my client.
>>
>>Certain members of the community (and notably, not Mr. Moeller) have
>>expressed dissatisfaction about WP:OFFICE and its use. There is a
>>healthy debate yet to be had about it. We can have that debate, but I
>>also have to make clear that the Foundation's obligations are greater
>>than loyalty to any one user. Even someone with the history of
>>contributions to Mr. Moeller.
>>

>Are the Wikimedia Foundation's obligations greater than loyalty to a
>single founder or stacked Board of Directors?
>
>In the event of a conflict do you work for the stacked Board, Jimmy
>Wales, or the Foundation? Is your client the stacked Board, Jimmy
>Wales, or the Wikimedia Foundation? What is the legal signature on
>checks sent to your office in response to invoices? Does U.S. and/or
>Florida law distinguish between individuals in offices and the
>organization itself?

This sounds like cross-examination to me.

>Does the Wikimedia Foundation have any fiduciary responsibilities to the
>contributing public and the public at large under U.S. law? Are these
>responsibilities defined exclusively by U.S. law or are the public
>solicitations used to gather public donations considered somewhat
>influential or binding in Florida State or U.S. Federal courts?

The public accountability of a broadly funded multinational organization
is a seriously difficult question. It comes as no surprise that legal
and other professional expertise hired by mangement will support
positions favorable to management. Membership in The Foundation is very
weakly defined, and is mostly based on being an editor. An early
provision would have had one board member elected by a paid members, but
that has never been developed. Membership rights and powers are
probably as strong as the rights of minority shareholders in for-profit
corporations.

It's a no-brainer to say that Florida corporate law applies to the
operation of the Foundation, because that is where it is incorporated.
The tax law of each separate state controls the right to solicit funds
in each state; that can cause a registration nightmare. While the
Foundation can solicit foreign donations, these will not normally be tax
deductible for those foreign residents. Tax deductibility in those
countries requires, among other things, some kind of administrative
organization in that country. This is often accompanied by rules to
prohibit the export of donated funds.

I am often highly critical of the current management format, but I can
also see enough dangers in a totally democratic system to be wary of
such a model.

Ec

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Michael Davis wrote:
> Kelly Martin wrote:
>
>>I also find it very hard to believe that Erik was acting in good
>>faith. I remain utterly perplexed by many of the comments in this
>>discussion, especially the ones from members of the Board, who I would
>>normally expect to refrain from contradicting their valued employee so
>>obviously; normally when a valued high-visibility employee makes a
>>mistake (and I am not saying that Danny did) the public statement
>>comes in the form of a carefully worded press release from the
>>organization as an entity, not as offhand rebuking comments from
>>random Board members, and normally the affected employee is informed
>>in advance. But I guess I'm used to a more professional approach from
>>a leading non-profit organization.
>>

> Whatever statements have been made by Board members, including this
> statement, are made by them as individuals and only carry whatever
> authority the community deems appropriate for that individual. And you
> are right, a more professional organization would handle these matters
> quite differently.
>
> Michael

Writing a press release ?

Sure. Which level of energy and time does that require ?
First, the board needs to discuss this together. See where they agree.
When they agree, they should contact the comcom. Have the comcom write a
press release. Put it on the board wiki. Vote. Then publish.

At the minimum, two weeks. If all goes well.
In other words, forever. Needless to say that this will never get done.
If only because we have other things to take care of. This might be
possible in an organisation where the board has nothing to take care of
other that doing a yearly meeting with petits fours and champaign. Not
exactly our organisation.

The Foundation is less than 2 years old Karynn.
When I consider the travel already done, I am amazed. When I joined, the
Foundation was nothing. It did not existed at all. All it had was
basically a couple of servers, a dozen domain names and a highly visible
and appreciated president.

That was all.

Board members had to fit.

As a board member, I followed the principles which drove me as an
editor. I tried to listen to people the best I could. I tried not to
offend people too much. I tried to inform people as much as I could
whilst respecting confidentiality when it was required. I tried to
organise things when nobody was organising them. I spoke loud when no
one had the guts to speak loud. And I spoke plain when no one spoke
plain. I tried to give ideas.

I never claimed to be a professional. I only tried to help the best I
could a project I loved and found fabulous. I would have helped more as
a board member if I had been given the opportunity to act as a board
member as the job is defined in more "professional" organisations. It is
not the case.

The more I think about it, the more I think you guys can be very happy
with a valued highly visible employee.

Ant

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
On 20/04/06, Kat Walsh <mindspillage@gmail.com> wrote:
> WP:OFFICE is pretty much a invitation to every troll on the wiki to
> come and make noise -- and now, apparently, to grab the deleted
> material and post it elsewhere. It's been Slashdotted; we can't claim
> we don't know about it, and it's not exactly something we want. (Yes,
> good editors are questioning, too, but they are doing it sanely.)
> While it has been a good barrier to prevent admins from mistakenly
> undoing Danny's admin actions there, it has failed to be a means to
> handle potential problems in a discreet manner and instead only draws
> more attention to it. This seems to have been an attempt to try to
> minimize public attention and be sure the problematic material was not
> more widely distributed. It didn't work, but it was a reasonable
> attempt, though unclear.

Maybe Danny etc. need to start getting developers to remove revisions
of WP:OFFICE articles directly from the database, if we continue to
have the problem of dirty admins leaking deleted material.

~Mark Ryan
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
I agree entirely. Given that the devs are quite busy, perhaps something
could be written up to allow this to be done with the developer flag
(the one that actually shows up on Special:Listusers), so Danny could do
it himself without having to either involve the developers each time, or
go messing around in the database itself. A restricted access log (like
the checkuser log) could be provided if desired. I have no idea if this
is doable or not, but it seems like a decent proposal to me.

Essjay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org/

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Foundation is less than 2 years old Karynn.
> When I consider the travel already done, I am amazed. When I joined, the
> Foundation was nothing. It did not existed at all. All it had was
> basically a couple of servers, a dozen domain names and a highly visible
> and appreciated president.

A few servers, three fewer projects...

> That was all.
>
> Board members had to fit.
>
> As a board member, I followed the principles which drove me as an
> editor. I tried to listen to people the best I could. I tried not to
> offend people too much. I tried to inform people as much as I could
> whilst respecting confidentiality when it was required. I tried to
> organise things when nobody was organising them. I spoke loud when no
> one had the guts to speak loud. And I spoke plain when no one spoke
> plain. I tried to give ideas.

And your speaking loudly and plainly, and your respect and visibility,
and your ideas, are all enormously appreciated. The Foundation would
not be the same without you.

--Sj
Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Michael R. Irwin wrote:
>

>>Certainly I would advise you to
>>comply strictly with all provisions of the U.S. Patriot Act when called
>>upon by warrant to cooperate with U.S. Federal authorities, unless you
>>enjoy small cubicle environments.
>>

>That's remarkably inconsistent of you. You begin by complaining about
>excessive secrecy then contradict yourself by supporting a piece of
>totalitarian trash that would impose just that, notably in forbidding
>people who have received information requests from letting anyone know
>that they have received such requests. When it comes to circumventing
>laws the U.S. Patriot Act is fair game.

Nothing inconsistent about it at all.

Nothing I wrote should be construed as "supporting" the totalitarian
trash. If you wish to attempt to circumvent the U.S. Patriot Act; and
you are a self responsible adult by the standards of your society,
culture and yourself; you are welcome (from me) to attempt do so
elsewhere. I advise you against it unless you enjoy anonymous
occupation of small cubicle cells or have a death wish or actually
believe freedom and inalienable human rights is worth a little
discomfort or great personal risk. Personally I think the wikimedia
projects are quite valuable and useful in undercutting the
justifications used for the activation of the totalitarian trash
embodied in the Patriot Act. Thus, IMHO, any contemplated acts of civil
disobedience likely to bring swift and accurate reprisals from the
powers that be in the U.S. are best done elsewhere away from wikimedia
sponsored projects. This is true whether you, I or others are good
little wikimedians just wishing to avoid trouble at any price or all out
patriots just itching to score some effective points on the
totalitarians currently in charge.

If you are a U.S. voter I will point out that it is likely to be more
effective voting representatives into office who will take out the
totalitarian trash rather than resisting smart missiles launched by the
U.S. military from hundreds of miles away or secret warrants or
decisions made out of view of the public, allegedly for the benefit of
the U.S. public.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, I should point out that large social
systems with lots of momentum often take large aggregate inputs and time
to change course. A choice to actively resist U.S.G. totalitarian trash
may be a life or death altering decision that is effectively irrevocable
for the next few decades or centuries.

>>I suggest the community members present on the Foundation-L mailing list
>>consider a placebo vote regarding whether the Wikimedia Foundation
>>should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him for the long distance
>>calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.
>>

>"Placebo vote" sounds like an interesting concept. I interpret such a
>vote as one designed to make people feel good without accomplishing
>anything. :-)

If it makes Eric aware that he is still a valued member of the larger
local community of participants even after an alleged or actual error or
two then it will have accomplished quite a bit. There is no "edit
boldly" or initiative without an occasional mistake. This could
probably be supported by reference to Murphy's law, thermodynamic
maximization of entropy, original sin, or something if I were not
feeling so lazy at the moment.

>>>The Foundation officers
>>>and Board members have a fiduciary obligation to the organization, as I
>>>do as a lawyer for my client.
>>>
>>>Certain members of the community (and notably, not Mr. Moeller) have
>>>expressed dissatisfaction about WP:OFFICE and its use. There is a
>>>healthy debate yet to be had about it. We can have that debate, but I
>>>also have to make clear that the Foundation's obligations are greater
>>>than loyalty to any one user. Even someone with the history of
>>>contributions to Mr. Moeller.
>>>

>>Are the Wikimedia Foundation's obligations greater than loyalty to a
>>single founder or stacked Board of Directors?
>>
>>In the event of a conflict do you work for the stacked Board, Jimmy
>>Wales, or the Foundation? Is your client the stacked Board, Jimmy
>>Wales, or the Wikimedia Foundation? What is the legal signature on
>>checks sent to your office in response to invoices? Does U.S. and/or
>>Florida law distinguish between individuals in offices and the
>>organization itself?
>>

>This sounds like cross-examination to me.

It is an interesting and critical point. People unfamilar with law as
it is practiced in the United States have a tendency towards gullibility
when a well educated lawyer in a crisp three piece suit getting paid big
bucks gives them free advice. There was an unqualified (literally, not
a high school graduate IIRC) office girl who had been placed in a
government management position a few years back who took her boss's (the
alleged embezzler being investigated by Congress) lawyers' advice and
stone walled (attempted to take the fifth, remaining silent rather than
self incriminate) Congress during some hearings regarding tens or
hundreds of millions of dollars worth of embezzlement and fraud. She
may still be in jail for contempt of Congress. There was some loose
talk about disbarring "her lawyers" for advising her to oppose Congress
by citing the fifth (which apparently does not apply to Congressional
hearings after Congress has granted immunity from personal prosecution)
but AFAIK nothing ever came of it. It turns out that a lawyer
representing his client is apparently free (of consequences) to give
others poor legal advice (lie or attempt to deceive people other than
his client regarding matters of law) if it serves the interests of their
official paying client or some other similar self serving mumbo jumbo.

I guess frames of reference are relevent to other fields of endeaver
besides physics. Are they my, our, their, the Foundation, the Board,
ET's, friend of the court, other stakeholders' lawyers or merely
representing their own business or personal interests?

Drat! I forgot to ask whether his firm does business with Bomis or
Wikia or other businesses owned, operated or invested in by members of
the stacked Board. Maybe next time.

Hmm ... also forgot to ask whether he volunteers time as an editor at
any Wikimedia projects or operates any investigatory sock puppets. ....
Maybe the time after the next time minus negative three or four?

I guess what I should have or could have asked is: In your
professional opinion, would it reduce current or future legal
liabilities and/or expenses if different guidelines (from the apparently
nonexistent ones or the ones currently in use) regarding conflicts of
interest or potential conflicts of interest were developed and
implemented by the Wikimedia Foundation?

>I am often highly critical of the current management format, but I can
>also see enough dangers in a totally democratic system to be wary of
>such a model.

I also would be skeptical of a "pure" "democracy" of one sock puppet one
vote. I doubt it is even feasible to set up such a structure up as a
U.S. liability limited non profit or for profit corporation. It is my
understanding that U.S. law requires specific accountable points of
contact when filing for the legal priveleges granted to regulated legal
organizations. However, there is a wide range of lattitude left to the
individual registered organization in the U.S. regarding how they
"manage" their own affairs within the constraints of the law. The
dichotomy of our current and past discussion alternating between
unilateral bandwidthianism (the guy with control of the centralized
editing bandwidth makes the rules) and total chaos (one sock puppet one
vote) barely scratches the surface of the range of possibilities
available in the good old USA.

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>That's remarkably inconsistent of you. You begin by complaining about
>>excessive secrecy then contradict yourself by supporting a piece of
>>totalitarian trash that would impose just that, notably in forbidding
>>people who have received information requests from letting anyone know
>>that they have received such requests. When it comes to circumventing
>>laws the U.S. Patriot Act is fair game.
>>

>Personally I think the wikimedia
>projects are quite valuable and useful in undercutting the
>justifications used for the activation of the totalitarian trash
>embodied in the Patriot Act. Thus, IMHO, any contemplated acts of civil
>disobedience likely to bring swift and accurate reprisals from the
>powers that be in the U.S. are best done elsewhere away from wikimedia
>sponsored projects. This is true whether you, I or others are good
>little wikimedians just wishing to avoid trouble at any price or all out
>patriots just itching to score some effective points on the
>totalitarians currently in charge.

Effective resistance is more a matter of opportunity than
premeditation. If I have not been served with a gag order I can't
resist it. I am not one of those who would avoid trouble at any price,
but manipulating circumstances for the sole purpose of spurring the
patriotism police into action is still trolling.

>If you are a U.S. voter I will point out that it is likely to be more
>effective voting representatives into office who will take out the
>totalitarian trash rather than resisting smart missiles launched by the
>U.S. military from hundreds of miles away or secret warrants or
>decisions made out of view of the public, allegedly for the benefit of
>the U.S. public.

Good luck!

>If you are not a U.S. citizen, I should point out that large social
>systems with lots of momentum often take large aggregate inputs and time
>to change course. A choice to actively resist U.S.G. totalitarian trash
>may be a life or death altering decision that is effectively irrevocable
>for the next few decades or centuries.

Those of us outside the US see these things more clearly. It's easier
to see the whole forest when you're standing outside of it.

>>>I suggest the community members present on the Foundation-L mailing list
>>>consider a placebo vote regarding whether the Wikimedia Foundation
>>>should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him for the long distance
>>>calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.
>>>

>>"Placebo vote" sounds like an interesting concept. I interpret such a
>>vote as one designed to make people feel good without accomplishing
>>anything. :-)
>>

>If it makes Eric aware that he is still a valued member of the larger
>local community of participants even after an alleged or actual error or
>two then it will have accomplished quite a bit. There is no "edit
>boldly" or initiative without an occasional mistake. This could
>probably be supported by reference to Murphy's law, thermodynamic
>maximization of entropy, original sin, or something if I were not
>feeling so lazy at the moment.

Perhaps "vote of confidence" might have been a better term. Entropy in
a volunteer organization becomes manifest when it substitutes rules for
principles.

>People unfamilar with law as
>it is practiced in the United States have a tendency towards gullibility
>when a well educated lawyer in a crisp three piece suit getting paid big
>bucks gives them free advice. ... It turns out that a lawyer
>representing his client is apparently free (of consequences) to give
>others poor legal advice (lie or attempt to deceive people other than
>his client regarding matters of law) if it serves the interests of their
>official paying client or some other similar self serving mumbo jumbo.

There is an element of institutionalized chutzpah to it all. Lawyers
play a large role in writing laws. And what lawyer turned judge would
recuse himself for conflict of interest in a case that attacks the
privileges of his profession?

It's fascinating to observe how otherwise normal rebels who regularly
confront elitism in the professions will still pusilanimously pepper
their comments with "IANAL".

>Drat! I forgot to ask whether his firm does business with Bomis or
>Wikia or other businesses owned, operated or invested in by members of
>the stacked Board. Maybe next time.
>
>Hmm ... also forgot to ask whether he volunteers time as an editor at
>any Wikimedia projects or operates any investigatory sock puppets. ....
>Maybe the time after the next time minus negative three or four?

I think that I would prefer an approach that does not make one lawyer a
scapegoat for his entire industry.

>I guess what I should have or could have asked is: In your
>professional opinion, would it reduce current or future legal
>liabilities and/or expenses if different guidelines (from the apparently
>nonexistent ones or the ones currently in use) regarding conflicts of
>interest or potential conflicts of interest were developed and
>implemented by the Wikimedia Foundation?

Is this really the stuff for lawyers' opinions? In all fairness to
lawyers people who ask them questions are more often looking for
certainty instead of mere opinion. A relatively honest lawyer after due
research may tell them that a certain course of action has a 99% chance
of not leading to a lawsuit, but the client is not satisfied with the 1%
risk so he rejects the more profitable course of action out of fear. It
really comes down to people making decisions and accepting the
responsibility and consequences of those decisions without looking for
someone else (like a lawyer) to blame when things go sour.

>>I am often highly critical of the current management format, but I can
>>also see enough dangers in a totally democratic system to be wary of
>>such a model.
>>

>I also would be skeptical of a "pure" "democracy" of one sock puppet one
>vote. I doubt it is even feasible to set up such a structure up as a
>U.S. liability limited non profit or for profit corporation. It is my
>understanding that U.S. law requires specific accountable points of
>contact when filing for the legal priveleges granted to regulated legal
>organizations. However, there is a wide range of lattitude left to the
>individual registered organization in the U.S. regarding how they
>"manage" their own affairs within the constraints of the law. The
>dichotomy of our current and past discussion alternating between
>unilateral bandwidthianism (the guy with control of the centralized
>editing bandwidth makes the rules) and total chaos (one sock puppet one
>vote) barely scratches the surface of the range of possibilities
>available in the good old USA.

U.S. corporate structures are governed by state law. It says something
when a state like Delaware has corporate headquarters completely out of
proportion to its population. Voting in profit corporations is
democratically on a one share one vote basis; you can buy as many
sockpuppets as you can afford. I don't really have a solution to
suggest about how Wikimedia should be run. In the early days there were
many sceptics who could not imagine such a scheme as viable, and look
where it ranks now within the top 20 websites in the world. Wikiholics
(even just American ones) are not typical of their ambient populations.
It's a gang of people with insanely strong individual POVs trying to
bring NPOV to the world. Go figure!

Ec

Re: Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Effective resistance is more a matter of opportunity than
>premeditation. If I have not been served with a gag order I can't
>resist it. I am not one of those who would avoid trouble at any price,
>but manipulating circumstances for the sole purpose of spurring the
>patriotism police into action is still trolling.

Opportunity for martyrdom perhaps. Pretty useless unless some
premediation goes into post execution or incarceration publication.
Unless one buys into prayer as a universal method communications. I
understand the Ayotollah's are not counting on prayer. I have seen it
alleged that authentic suicide martyrs are being signed up as terrorist
retalitory smart bots in inflict maximum reprisal in the event of a
surprise, announced, authorised, or otherwise engaged or stealthy or
alleged official and/or unofficial or plausibly denied U.S. policy
enforcement action in preemptive defense of the god fearing peoples of
the free world against dirty or real atomic bombs.

Clearly discussion of this responsibly takes careful preplanning if one
wishes to avoid the consequence (personally) of one's actions.

Consider that terrorist maniac who assaulted an entire campus of
diligent students looking both ways before crossing the street or lying
down in the grass at the memorial union with an American Gas Guzzler and
manage to injure an entire nine people before calling 911 to report the
hit and run self alleged terrorist campaign.

When he gets done fullfilling his responsibilities to society for that
premedicated attempt at mass murder maybe someone should hire him as a
driver's ed teacher or a NASCAR driver. Many U.S. drivers cannot keep
their vehicles sufficiently under control in posted 20 mph kiddie zones
or behind schools buses to avoid manslaughter and this master of
misinformation managed to injure (not kill) 9 people on a crime spree
through a major U.S. college campus. On my personal fandango through
the Boise International Airport I think I could have got a few if I had
not created my racing friction clutch in my Mazda RX-7. Amazing how
calm people can be with a 150hp rotary rocket screaming and grit
grinding the clutch. Somebody was winding a turboprop up to
destruction I do not think I would be confident the fan could not pull
it .... at least not enough to walzt out with the kiddies and wives in
tow. Maybe I could nerve myself up to risk the baggage. No need to
take my word for it. There is a report somewhere because I was
apprehended wandering off from the incident.

Is it cartoon physics sent down from God to protect those bible belt
believers or sheer keystone incompetence resulting from reduced blood
flow to the brain from winding those turbines too tight?
Personally I recall the CIA recruiting on campus. It might be fun to
drive over there in a special caterpillar training with the new
prototype transmission which comes standard with four power take offs
with couple of tanks of willy wonkas biodiesal and setup a special
patriotic web transmisssion. Then watch the shock and awe as local
super patriots that know how to scream at football games but can not
quite drift from the sugar daddy's lines yet figure out not everyone in
the crowd is a peace worshipping muslim.

If we get short on attendence we could always take some video for Lou
Dobbs of authentic U.S. college graduates burning Mexican flags and
walking barefoot ala Kung Fooiu over Israeli, Iranium, and Iraguis flags
before sewing them together and siccing the nano weather elements on
them at some International Seaport that needs modernization and
publicity. Coos Bay, Oregon could use some publicity and investment
capital (it is one of the largest natural seaports on the West Coast)
but it is upwind from our Capital City and just incidentall my future
humble abode. I therefoe benovolently propose we allow Portland to
continue targeting itself for dirty bombs as the only usable economic
port between Seatle and San Franscico.

Voting is premeditated in the U.S. Most places require registration in
advance. This is necessary to allow the system time to prepare
validation lists that can be checked by diverse (usually two, one
Republican, one Democrat but sometimes I guess another party has
volunteers) volunteers auditing or witnessing the voting and counting.

Interesting! I suppose if the winners of the vote are planning on
executing anyone found guilty of treason or war crimes then voting might
be construed by some sovereigns as premediated murder!
Or would that be assassination since the sovereign voter is dispatching
an employee apparatus to carry out the sentence?

It is going to be a greek tragedy if Osama Bin Laden successfully has
this maniac martry who cannot find a gas peddle or a steering despite a
Master's degree from the local campus assassinated or assaulted and then
pins the blame on American "Patriots" or sloppy incompentent police
custody. Look at that American MP executive incapable of protecting
prisoneers in her custody from torturers and sadistic pregnant women.
.... and we could have that on video or animate it for cash and carry
primetime U.S. TV!!!! well .... subject to the needs of War on Drugs,
and the War on Poverty, and the War on Colds, and the War on Rich
Murderers, and the War on Aging, and the War on the Beast of the
Apocylypse, and the actual alsmost declared War on Saddam Hussein,
...... I think I forgot some Wars but I guess only the rating wars
really hit the bottom in any significant way and only then if the
feedback loops are managed appropriately.

>>If you are a U.S. voter I will point out that it is likely to be more
>>effective voting representatives into office who will take out the
>>totalitarian trash rather than resisting smart missiles launched by the
>>U.S. military from hundreds of miles away or secret warrants or
>>decisions made out of view of the public, allegedly for the benefit of
>>the U.S. public.
>>

>Good luck!

Used my quota already. I am a natural born U.S. citizen. Never cared
much for gambling either although my parents support of the local indian
tribes has replaced my letterman jacket twice over with a stealth
walking jacket. When feeling paranoid strolling the starlights
fantastic, when I hear critical supplies headed anywhere after hours I
listen closely and prepare to exit stage orthogonal.

Engineering used to be about calculated risks ... so I was informed at
Oregon State University anyway. They left out the part about local
maxima and minima along other arbitrary, capricious, or self serving
axis. If the game is rigged properly it is not really gambling until
the games changes unexpectedly, is it? Nothing like shooting a patriot
for treason because he was so good at doing his job at the front that
the rear echelon heroes manage to phases changes the rules after mid
morning tea and crumpets in secret in contravention of secret laws
specifying late creative accounting justifying mission critical
initiative. I mean one could the benefit in an appropriately managed
training environment until the instructors started using their god like
control of the environment to inflict dogma or brain washing on the
neophytes or less mortals or generalists or other field specialists
offspring and/or interests.

>>If you are not a U.S. citizen, I should point out that large social
>>systems with lots of momentum often take large aggregate inputs and time
>>to change course. A choice to actively resist U.S.G. totalitarian trash
>>may be a life or death altering decision that is effectively irrevocable
>>for the next few decades or centuries.
>>

>Those of us outside the US see these things more clearly. It's easier
>to see the whole forest when you're standing outside of it.

This reassuring. Did you have some specific public data that you wanted
to bring to my attention? A few links should not overload the
Foundation's magnificent servers .... might be good if at least a few
links were applicable to the Foundations interest in all human knowledge
.... actually if you could find a link outside of those interests we
could contact the SETI@home folks and get some real publicity!

>Perhaps "vote of confidence" might have been a better term. Entropy in
>a volunteer organization becomes manifest when it substitutes rules for
>principles.

I disagree. Rules and principles represent standard operating
procedure, nothing more. A child is warned to look both ways and cross
at a crosswalk. An adult strolls where he pleases but is accountable
for his behavior. A stroll through a freeway that results in several
hundred car pileup might be prosecuted as mass murder where as a child
squashed might be prosecuted as child endangerment or vehicular
homicide. In Oregon the basic rule of the road is that you are
responsible for being able to halt the vehicle before hitting a
stationary object.

Vote of confidence indeed. What kind of confidence is Eric going to
get from a trolling sock puppet voting in his favor? Placebo was
adequate even if not the best term for it previously held place in the
semantic web. Now that I have modified its useage creatively (and self
beneficially I might note with pride) I wonder if the term must be kept
even more secret from the patient than was previously the case?

>>People unfamilar with law as
>>it is practiced in the United States have a tendency towards gullibility
>>when a well educated lawyer in a crisp three piece suit getting paid big
>>bucks gives them free advice. ... It turns out that a lawyer
>>representing his client is apparently free (of consequences) to give
>>others poor legal advice (lie or attempt to deceive people other than
>>his client regarding matters of law) if it serves the interests of their
>>official paying client or some other similar self serving mumbo jumbo.
>>

>There is an element of institutionalized chutzpah to it all. Lawyers
>play a large role in writing laws. And what lawyer turned judge would
>recuse himself for conflict of interest in a case that attacks the
>privileges of his profession?
>
>It's fascinating to observe how otherwise normal rebels who regularly
>confront elitism in the professions will still pusilanimously pepper
>their comments with "IANAL".

lol Personally I always considered it a fair warning. I mean you
never really know if you are really talking to the master of the local
universe or some precocious teenager or some government agent or 60 year
old genus coasting or obsessing over important issues rather than your
interests. I have encountered some barracks lawyers who talk a pretty
chat as a result of hefty, detailed reading. Some of them have even
seen a judge pull a technicality out of his ass or thin air or even a
creative or admitted violation of law sure to overturned upon appeal
.... If you want fair results you better be damn sure to do the local
investigation and politicking necessary to rerig the local game within a
scope you are comfortable local assets can deal with fairly if they
choose to. Then you better do the background checks on key players
.... then pray for whatever is needed ..... then settle if you can get
"fair" or "adequate" or "better than nothing" deal.

or be a good loser

or be a good winner. Ever wonder what would happen if after winning an
environmental lawsuit a major multinational did the "right thing" and
issued checks for audited damages and cleaned up the damn mess? They
can pay an executive hundreds of millions for effectively lying,
murdering, pillaging, etc. etc. but they cannot invest a few million or
tens or hundreds necessary to mitigate damage killing or damaging
people, cultures, nations and even planets.

be a better winner ... pay for the heart attack victims' medical bills.

IANAL could be construed as fair warning, a proud boast (I can read even
if I did not attend Harvard or Yale or secret presidential tutorials
after election), or a prudent attempt to limit liability or propagate
accurate information. Shorthand for check the facts for yourself.

>>Drat! I forgot to ask whether his firm does business with Bomis or
>>Wikia or other businesses owned, operated or invested in by members of
>>the stacked Board. Maybe next time.
>>
>>Hmm ... also forgot to ask whether he volunteers time as an editor at
>>any Wikimedia projects or operates any investigatory sock puppets. ....
>>Maybe the time after the next time minus negative three or four?
>>

>I think that I would prefer an approach that does not make one lawyer a
>scapegoat for his entire industry.

Scapegoat how? He keeps saying he works for the Foundation. The
Foundation by definition belongs to the God-King, he stated he was going
to set it up that way and then proceeded to do so. So does he have a
responsiblity to other stacked Board members or not? Do the Board
Members take turns signing paychecks? Maybe they should. Maybe it
would be perceived as an unusual attempt to distribute blame or
responsibility in a premeditated fashion .... thus increasing legal
risks in an already possibly hazardous situation.

The situation in America is fraught with hazards for business. We
usually do not firebomb the bastards, we usually try to drop a quarter
(or silver dollar or email) on them or call a lawyer. We are the most
litiginous society on Earth and some business people claim it is killing
their bottom line.

I assure you that anybody that ever comes after Jimbo on charges that he
is mismanaging a nonprofit for personal benefit and exercising total
control and is thus liable on a personal basis for damages (I hope he
bought a nice home with cash, it is my understanding that Florida is
popular for bankruptcies because afterward one can sell the house and
use the capital to start over.) is going to be looking hard at client
lawyer relationships and intermingled financial affairs.

Nobody warns a scapegoat. They are slaughtered at the convenience of
the owners for their own benefit by definition.

>>I guess what I should have or could have asked is: In your
>>professional opinion, would it reduce current or future legal
>>liabilities and/or expenses if different guidelines (from the apparently
>>nonexistent ones or the ones currently in use) regarding conflicts of
>>interest or potential conflicts of interest were developed and
>>implemented by the Wikimedia Foundation?
>>

>Is this really the stuff for lawyers' opinions? In all fairness to
>lawyers people who ask them questions are more often looking for
>certainty instead of mere opinion. A relatively honest lawyer after due
>research may tell them that a certain course of action has a 99% chance
>of not leading to a lawsuit, but the client is not satisfied with the 1%
>risk so he rejects the more profitable course of action out of fear. It
>really comes down to people making decisions and accepting the
>responsibility and consequences of those decisions without looking for
>someone else (like a lawyer) to blame when things go sour.

lol So how come the Wikimedia Foundation hired a lawyer? Maybe Jimbo
had more money than time when he researched how to get started in
business. I had more time than money but I still payed a lawyer for
expertise and administrative processing when it was time to put my
initial attempt at business entrepreneurship out of its misery.
Worked out ok. Everybody's paychecks cleared but I stiffed my credit
card companies. They were not happy about this role reversal but they
had little recourse, all the i's were dotted and t's crossed. Most of
the local businesses when they go under protect their credit ratings by
paying the big guys and bouncing the payroll checks. We have local
entrepreneurs that go bankrupt every quarter or two and usually have no
less than two or three businesses active at a time. They live pretty
good lifestyles. All I can figure is they are tied in pretty well with
the local networks of professionals.

>>>I am often highly critical of the current management format, but I can
>>>also see enough dangers in a totally democratic system to be wary of
>>>such a model.
>>>

>>I also would be skeptical of a "pure" "democracy" of one sock puppet one
>>vote. I doubt it is even feasible to set up such a structure up as a
>>U.S. liability limited non profit or for profit corporation. It is my
>>understanding that U.S. law requires specific accountable points of
>>contact when filing for the legal priveleges granted to regulated legal
>>organizations. However, there is a wide range of lattitude left to the
>>individual registered organization in the U.S. regarding how they
>>"manage" their own affairs within the constraints of the law. The
>>dichotomy of our current and past discussion alternating between
>>unilateral bandwidthianism (the guy with control of the centralized
>>editing bandwidth makes the rules) and total chaos (one sock puppet one
>>vote) barely scratches the surface of the range of possibilities
>>available in the good old USA.
>>

>U.S. corporate structures are governed by state law. It says something
>when a state like Delaware has corporate headquarters completely out of
>proportion to its population. Voting in profit corporations is
>democratically on a one share one vote basis; you can buy as many
>sockpuppets as you can afford.

This is factually incorrect. Voting proceeds in accordance with how the
stocks, shares, other mumbo jumbo financial instruments are defined and
voting procedures and priveleges defined in the law, offerings,
procedures, guidelines, etc. Preferred shares usually get dividends
before others such as common stock but have no vote; a lawyer better
have read the fine print or you may find your "share" is a share of
liability like Lloyd's of Londons new partners encountered a few years
back when joining that prestigious partnership.

Common stock often means one dollar of initial capital and one vote just
as you have stated above. It also often means whatever someone wants it
to mean. The guy that writes the charter probably also writes or
supervises writing the shares and the voting procedures .... caveat
emptor right? lol I do not think I have ever seen a case study or a
wiki collaboration on that kind of stuff. I wonder if the business
school at Wikiversity will be interested or if we will have to setup a
business engineering department to protect the rights of the hoard of
free engineers I expect we will develop over the next few centuries via
our masterful community management?

>I don't really have a solution to
>suggest about how Wikimedia should be run. In the early days there were
>many sceptics who could not imagine such a scheme as viable, and look
>where it ranks now within the top 20 websites in the world. Wikiholics
>(even just American ones) are not typical of their ambient populations.
>It's a gang of people with insanely strong individual POVs trying to
>bring NPOV to the world. Go figure!

Ok, you have me giggling now so I have to go setup my mom's new gateway
computer or get some sleep or something. First amendment convolved
with infinite automated soapboxbots presented almost worldwide via a
global focal point. Nobody leanin nottung except maybe how to use oa
spell checker if not to lazy .... image what can be accomplished if we
can just tell those people how to study at our impending official
wikiversity. Truly staggering what a corrupt self serving tyrant can
accomplish in collaboration with secret police and informers or whiners.

So kindergarden works .... what will we do for first grade if Jimbo
edicts no game cheating manuals? Script cheating kiddies unite!!!!
Thinking ... thinking .... nothing ... maybe go check out Jimbo Neutrino
for a clue .... btw. Saw either a Quantum or Chesire at Barion alley
downtown tonight. Mentioned it to a local newsman. When asked
pointblank about Wikipedia he admitted he used it regularly. We discuss
various modus operandis and scamming techniques and he paraphrased back
enough that I could tell I had met my master in conspiracy analsis. I
reminded him how to find Wikinews (link on main page of Wikimedia) and
he acknowledge he might wander by sometime to check it out.

BTW Elvis may have left the building. There is an independent
calculational chemistry wiki and a quantum physics wiki club online. I
have not reviewed either in detail sufficient to have an opinion on
whether they will thrive and grow or whither and fade away. Some
mother's may I milkweed seeds have obviously drifted away .... whether
they will waft back into poor little weedy Wikiversity to sow dandy
lionesses or useful tansy tee ooffs, probably up to sun spots or
neutrinos fluxes or something; if it ever gets started; might be a good
aerodynamics simulation exercise ... how does one photograph virtual
smoke rings or streamlines in a time tagged temporarily ordered even if
not completely accurately enough to be confident in short term trends?

I wonder if FlightGear.org could be usefully mutated or augmented with
such a beast .... a virtual plane with its own wind tunnel for adhoc mod
testing .... this could be the answer to TA2 if we cannot attract the
halo addicts because Jimbo, in his infinite wisdom, has decided there is
no need for an english war college no matter how useful it would be to
various offshoots of the global infestation of former Englishmen and
simmering irate pit bulls.

So when we are fantasizing about saving the day on Flight 93 by pulling
a Rambo on opportunity because we were to stupid (or smart! ... I will
make the case that Bin Laden is CIA indian off the reservation as a
misinformation ploy to establish Amercian totacracy for the next
millenium another time to save space and time herein) to premediate a
locking door or former combat pilot side arm training via pinball
simulators we can have a combat engineer design us a robot pilot capable
of flying the now mangled 777 hanging by two thirds of fusalege and a
single source transister supplier or simply change the control laws on
the autopilot to sinc appropriately with the stealth bombers recalled
from Iranium asphalting ...... a wing with a landing system and a pilot
... my kingdom for a wings and some live pilots inaccessbile to
panicking passengers all racing to the front in a horde to exceed the
control authority of the flappers in the increasing breeze on the way down.

Too bad those heroes never had a centroid or center of mass aware
wargame when they playing corporate team paintball ..... in clean
green english I acknowledge and agree they were heroes and people are
alive on the ground today because they forced the plane down. Still
Rambo amano amano may have been a better strategy with women and kids
dispatched symetrically to the back ... maybe that is how they did it.
Have not seen the authoritative movie or post mortem yet. Too bad
there is no $200 video camera and attached telemetry for the super
dupers global realtime (oxymoron unless FTL particle or appropriate time
multiplexing has been discovered or designed) IFDAPS (Integrated Flight
Data Acquistion Processing System) or RAPIDS (Realtime Acquistion
Processing Instrumentation and Data System) ejection capsule or black
box. Maybe next time.

I wonder if we could use the swordfish guy's 747 if we

God I love that statement. "Nobody ever thought a 747 could be used for
a cruise missile." I can understand that maybe she did not care for
John Wayne movies or the pacific ocean ..... but how was she missed WWII
at an Ivy League ...... maybe she studied under Japanese tutors
conspiring against us. Kamakaze would a smoky purple merry sort of
drink .... and suicide martyr or hijacker would be .... I am at loss.
Have to come back later.

Have a nice day, Ray

Michael R. Irwin
SCI Upgrade Program Manager,
retired, combat fatigued

cc:carnivore
cc:cape canaveral
cc:Louis L'Amour's brain excised co-conspirator, billy bobbers,
cc:chesire cat & quantum pb lead poisening barion possum depleted
radiation ammunition poisening or breeder feul ? who is financing which
war?