Mailing List Archive

Fair use on English Wikinews
I would like to re-enable local uploads on the English Wikinews for the
purpose of fair use image uploads only. We have worked in the last few
weeks on a whitelist policy for cases where we believe fair use to be
acceptable:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Fair_use

This includes screenshots, publicity photos explicitly intended for the
media, logos, and images under "semi-free" licenses which we might get
under a fully free license eventually, but where a breaking news
situation requires us to make a temporary compromise.

This is very important for us; we've already had to delete screenshots
that showed a security flaw scooped by Wikinews because they were
non-free and therefore not allowed on the Commons.

For now, there would be two upload links, "Upload media" and "Upload
fair use media", one pointing to the Commons, the other to the local
upload page. In MediaWiki 1.5, we can point "Upload file" to the
Wikimedia Commons, and hide local uploads from the navigation. That way,
we can apply "security by obscurity". Only people who read the fair use
policy will find the local upload link.

I'd like to ask the Board to register any objections within the next
week or so. If there are none, I would also recommend that the other
language editions follow a similar procedure to develop their own local
fair use policies, so we can re-enable local uploads on these editions
one by one.

Erik
Re: Fair use on English Wikinews [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I have shortly been talking to Amgine on irc about the new policy, as
well as read it.

This policy seems very reasonable to me. I am happy you found a solution
to be able to upload images necessary to illustrate wikinews articles...
all while limiting related risks with competitors. This is good.

I hope other languages will soon follow as well.

Good luck. Anthere

Re: Re: Fair use on English Wikinews [ In reply to ]
If I can be of any help... :)

Re: Re: Fair use on English Wikinews [ In reply to ]
On 5/15/05, Anthere <anthere9(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I hope other languages will soon follow as well.

Here goes Poland - http://pl.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Dozwolony_u%C5%BCytek

"Dozwolony u¿ytek" means literally "Permitted use". It's almost the
same as fair use. In the proposed policy we're accepting only logos,
trademark symbols, and attachments for press, such as artworks,
photos, screenshots, etc., which are released by the company which
owns the copyrights to the product in question.

We'll still be discussing it through the following days, but due to
our pretty small user base, we'll probably be ready to start accepting
uploaded media pretty soon.

--
Best regards,
Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki
Re: Re: Fair use on English Wikinews [ In reply to ]
On 5/15/05, Anthere <anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This policy seems very reasonable to me. I am happy you found a solution
> to be able to upload images necessary to illustrate wikinews articles...
> all while limiting related risks with competitors. This is good.
>
> I hope other languages will soon follow as well.

I agree with Anthere on this, and it seems safe enough to enable
uploads now as long as the community is happy with the policy.

Angela.
Re: Re: Fair use on English Wikinews [ In reply to ]
Angela wrote:
> On 5/15/05, Anthere <anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>This policy seems very reasonable to me. I am happy you found a solution
>>to be able to upload images necessary to illustrate wikinews articles...
>>all while limiting related risks with competitors. This is good.
>>
>>I hope other languages will soon follow as well.
>

> I agree with Anthere on this, and it seems safe enough to enable
> uploads now as long as the community is happy with the policy.

Thirded. :-)

--Jimbo
Re: Re: Fair use on English Wikinews [ In reply to ]
With the agreement of the Board, I have enabled local uploads on the
English edition of Wikinews.

I ask other language editions that are interested in fair use to
formulate a similar whitelist policy for cases in which fair use should
be allowed. The emphasis is on *whitelist* - any case not covered by the
policy should be quickly deleted.

Once a policy is developed, please report it on foundation-l or
wikinews-l to move forward with enabling local uploads. A brief summary
of your policy in English would be very helpful.

For reference, the English fair use policy is at:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Fair_use

As before, the Wikimedia Commons should be used for any free content media.

All best,

Erik