Mailing List Archive

Lack of research on Wikipedia
Hoi,
For me while interesting, it is hardly new and therefore not that
interesting what people like Ed H Chi write about Wikipedia. They do not
write about Wikipedia, they write about the English language Wikipedia.
Invariably news written about Wikipedia concentrates on just one of over 260
projects. It diminishes what Wikipedia is about and it ignores important
things that are happening.

I would be interested in more study looking at the "other" wikipedias. This
is where all kinds of other phenomena exist.

Yesterday Siebrand observed that there is a group of languages that have
solid localisations and, the current localisation rally makes this group
stand out even more. We have the impression that this coincides with the
vitality of projects; German French Dutch are top performers in localisation
they have a healthy community and provide a great Wikipedia. For languages
like Spanish Turkish Swedish Italian it is still possible for people to take
part in the translatewiki.net localisation rally. People who participate on
languages like Estonian and Khmer find that they have to concentrate on
doing the most used and MediaWiki core messages first (our rationale being
that our Wikipedia readers are best served in this way.

With a sample size fof 260, it becomes possible to do research into the
effect of localisation and the performance of a project. As
LocalisationUpdate is being tested for use in the WMF, timely delivery of
localisations becomes a reality once it is implemented. This will give the
numbers of localisation and performance a much more direct relation with
each other... The question is, if someone is interested in the numbers
provided by such research..

It is known for languages like Bangla that Wikipedia is the biggest resource
in that language in that language, I can imagine that this is true for other
languages as well. When a Wikipedia has such a status, it changes the
relevance of that Wikipedia for scientists who study thea language. It is
interesting to learn what the effects are on the people who use the internet
in these languages. With Wikipedia being the biggest resource does this
populate the Google search results and, does this make the Internet more of
a worthwhile experience?

We know that things like sources, NPOV, BLP are particularly relevant on our
biggest projects. On our smaller projects these things do not get the same
attention. Here it is more important to have articles in the first place.
The make-up of these communities is likely to be utterly different as well.
Would it not be nice to understand how our projects are populated and study
how it evolves over time? At what stage all kinds of policies start to kick
in?

Research, the numbers they provide are important on many levels. They
indicate issues, they indicate where we want to put our resources. The lack
of research on the other Wikipedias make the other Wikipedias invisible,
issues particular to other languages do not get attention and consequently
resources needed to address issues are not available.

My argument is that there is a lack of research on Wikipedia, Wikipedia as a
whole would benefit from research and indeed where the English Wikipedia's
growth is slowing down, there is plenty of room for growth elsewhere of
standard encyclopaedic information in the other projects. This in turn will
bring up many subjects that en.wp does not cover. The existence of articles
on subjects not covered in en.wp are indicative of a bias and once en.wp
starts to cover these subjects it will improve its neutral point of view..
Consequently ALL our Wikipedias including en.wp will benefit from research
on the "other" Wikipedias.
Thanks,
GerardM
Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hello Gerard,

Regarding you main point call for research I have nothing to say but
Hear! Hear!! HEAR!!! ;)

Some small example (casestudy): recently I <s>requested</s> asked for
as much statistics data about WMF board elections as possible just
because I'm eager to make series of researches and possibly make them
regular if not neverending - like 24*7 dashboards or something like
that.

There is one thing which might be either sorta objection to what
you've wrote (to one aspect of that) or proposal for research agenda:
Are all Wikipedias really separate projects or all of them are
segments of one single international project? Certainly 'single
project' model provides very different level of different segments
autonomy and some (many? most?) of them are loosely coupled yet (?or
forever?).
Let me mention Siebrand in this context as well (as you did): who is
Siebrand and his SieBot for, say, Ukrainian Wikipedia?
Should we say (shout? :) ) something like "Siebrand, go home and take
your bot with you! We have *our* bots and it's Ukrainian-made bots who
has a right to process Ukrainian Wikipedia"? ;-P
... or just the opposite - interwiki maintaining (beginning from deep
interwiki research by the way) is concern of integral pan-Wikipedia
community so the only choice is teamwork with Siebrand?

Sincerely,

Pavlo Shevelo

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
I am very much a proponent of those who consider Wikipedia one project with
many iterations in a language project and community. For me it means that
there are several basic requirements for all Wikipedias. The content being
freely licensed and of a neutral point of view are core values I also
consider it essential that Wikipedia is open to new people who want to
contribute to what we already do, as such I would welcome new projects that
fit in the aims of the Wikimedia Foundation.

As to people like Siebrand, he performs several crucial functions for
MediaWiki and Wikipedia and I consider him one of the most important people
in and for the Wikimedia Foundation. He plays a central role in
translatewiki.net, with Raymond_ he commits the localisations to SVN after
doing some quality assurance to the localisations. As a consequence of his
internationalisation and QA work he is the one of the most prolific
contributors to MediaWiki. He also runs Siebot for ages and he does not only
but also work on the interwikilinks that bring our projects together.

In answer to your question, the activities that Siebrand is involved in are
best done in a collaborative way. Actually given the nature of Wikipedia it
is the only way.
Thanks,
Gerard

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
So let me make a summary of our common position:

What all Wikipedias has in common is following:
* «What we're doing»: mission statement and core values - like content
being freely licensed, openness to newcomers ("...everybody can edit")
etc.
* «How we're doing that» (Howto): 'Requirements' and policies
(regulations) - like NPOV
* «Agenda» - list of issues/concerns/objectives which are common for
all Wikipedias (to get interwiki network tidy and in order - one of
the most natural examples);
* «Action»: Real cross-wiki teamwork in research, corrections etc. -
in handling items (actionitems) from agenda.

So regarding your point: we will
* facilitate the research proposal (scope etc.);
* put it on (to?) the common agenda;
* arrange teams ('special interest groups');
... (KPI ;) ...)

Right?

Regarding Siebrand - that was mainly joke to illustrate my point (to
have some spotlight on it). We respect him and have no problem in
teamworking with him.

Sincerely,

Pavlo

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Gerard

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/16 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>:

> For me while interesting, it is hardly new and therefore not that
> interesting what people like Ed H Chi write about Wikipedia. They do not
> write about Wikipedia, they write about the English language Wikipedia.
> Invariably news written about Wikipedia concentrates on just one of over 260
> projects. It diminishes what Wikipedia is about and it ignores important
> things that are happening.

Yes, completely. Do other Wikipedias show the same S-curve of growth?
Large ones, small ones? *That* is interesting. Let's see if we can
encourage PARC along these lines. Or indeed competing researchers.

- d.

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> Hoi,
> For me while interesting, it is hardly new and therefore not that
> interesting what people like Ed H Chi write about Wikipedia. They do not
> write about Wikipedia, they write about the English language Wikipedia.
> Invariably news written about Wikipedia concentrates on just one of over 260
> projects. It diminishes what Wikipedia is about and it ignores important
> things that are happening.
>
> I would be interested in more study looking at the "other" wikipedias. This
> is where all kinds of other phenomena exist.

pl wiki:

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WWM#Raporty_badawcze.2C_publikacje_naukowe.2C_komunikaty

przykuta

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> * «Action»: Real cross-wiki teamwork in research, corrections etc. -
> in handling items (actionitems) from agenda.

For the beginning if you want ;)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Multilingualism

(forgotten ideas, but resurrection is possible):

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_featured_articles

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_good_articles

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_coordination

etc. etc.

przykuta

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> My argument is that there is a lack of research on Wikipedia, Wikipedia as a
> whole would benefit from research and indeed where the English Wikipedia's
> growth is slowing down, there is plenty of room for growth elsewhere of
> standard encyclopaedic information in the other projects. This in turn will
> bring up many subjects that en.wp does not cover. The existence of articles
> on subjects not covered in en.wp are indicative of a bias and once en.wp
> starts to cover these subjects it will improve its neutral point of view..
> Consequently ALL our Wikipedias including en.wp will benefit from research
> on the "other" Wikipedias.
> Thanks,
> GerardM
> _

I would guess that the most important reason why english wikipedia is
slowing down is because of the other language projects gets the
attention of the editors. perhaps it would be possible to get some
numbers on the total influx of content and how it is distributed among
the projects?

John

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hoi,

- Many of the Wikipedias do not show any growth
- other Wikipedias are young and they do not get the kind of attention
like en.wp did
- they do not have a Jimbo to evangelise their project.
- often the language technology does not really support their language
- a lack of localisation hampers acceptance
- how to get past the bus factor while the project is still small
- other Wikipedias are much bigger and may be plotted on such a graph
however, there are so many things different that is makes little sense if
you do not study why projects behave like they do.

Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/16 John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no>:

> I would guess that the most important reason why english wikipedia is
> slowing down is because of the other language projects gets the
> attention of the editors. perhaps it would be possible to get some
> numbers on the total influx of content and how it is distributed among
> the projects?

Many (particularly, as I recall, Andrew Lih) were saying a few years
ago that en:wp growth would follow a sigmoid logistic curve rather
than the pure exponential curve it appeared to be following at the
time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_curve

- much as most other things do.

So I wouldn't call it unexpected.

The question is then where other Wikipedias are on this curve.

- d.

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> 2009/8/16 John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no>:
>
>> I would guess that the most important reason why english wikipedia is
>> slowing down is because of the other language projects gets the
>> attention of the editors. perhaps it would be possible to get some
>> numbers on the total influx of content and how it is distributed among
>> the projects?
>

> Many (particularly, as I recall, Andrew Lih) were saying a few years
> ago that en:wp growth would follow a sigmoid logistic curve rather
> than the pure exponential curve it appeared to be following at the
> time:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_curve

This would be true if it were not for continual creation of novelties
which will justify creation of new articles. Only if obsolete subjects
are deleted at the same rate would the encyclopedia cease to slowly grow.
A graph of the number of articles will not flatten as a standard logistic
sigmoid function does.

Fred

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:06:40 +0100
> From: David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Lack of research on Wikipedia
> <foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> 2009/8/16 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>:
>
> > For me while interesting, it is hardly new and therefore not that
> > interesting what people like Ed H Chi write about
> Wikipedia. They do not
> > write about Wikipedia, they write about the English
> language Wikipedia.
> > Invariably news written about Wikipedia concentrates on
> just one of over 260
> > projects. It diminishes what Wikipedia is about and it
> ignores important
> > things that are happening.
>

> Yes, completely. Do other Wikipedias show the same S-curve of growth?
> Large ones, small ones? *That* is interesting. Let's see if we can
> encourage PARC along these lines. Or indeed competing researchers.
>

> - d.

I've been plotting growth for en:, de:, fr: and nl: for many years (to use
in presentations) and observed the same flattening effect happening in all.
To understand a bit better the cause, the following graph
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nl-EditsPerDay.jpg, showing the edit
activity over time, might be more interesting. The peak of edit activity for
all four WPs lies somewhere around 2007. Since then it is going down.
Communities of non en:wp obviously are smaller than en:. But in absolute
terms still a fraction of # of people speaking the language. Visiting
popularity of WP has grown tremendously during the past couple of years.
That all together supports PARC's tentative conclusions.

Rgds Ronald

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> I would guess that the most important reason why english wikipedia is
> slowing down is because of the other language projects gets the
> attention of the editors. perhaps it would be possible to get some
> numbers on the total influx of content and how it is distributed among
> the projects?
>
> John

Hmm, look at Σ

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediansEditsGt5.htm

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaZZ.htm

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:

> Yes, completely. Do other Wikipedias show the same S-curve of growth?

I don't think it's an S-curve. I think we are seeing linear
growth, with a few exceptions in the very early days (years).
But hey, that's growth in the number of articles. We shouldn't
focus on the number of articles, but on the overall usefulness.

Day 1: Create article "Apple is a fruit".
Day 2: Create article "Pear is a fruit".
Day 3: Extend article about apples. Add photos. Cite sources.

Day 3: Zero growth in the number of articles. Panic!!!

--
Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Lars Aronsson<lars@aronsson.se> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>
>> Yes, completely. Do other Wikipedias show the same S-curve of growth?
>
> I don't think it's an S-curve. I think we are seeing linear
> growth, with a few exceptions in the very early days (years).
> But hey, that's growth in the number of articles.  We shouldn't
> focus on the number of articles, but on the overall usefulness.
>
> Day 1: Create article "Apple is a fruit".
> Day 2: Create article "Pear is a fruit".
> Day 3: Extend article about apples. Add photos. Cite sources.
>
> Day 3: Zero growth in the number of articles. Panic!!!
>

> --
>  Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)
>  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

Which is why the article count means nothing. Tim pointed out some
time ago (I can't find the quote offhand, pardon my paraphrasing) about
the article counter being terribly inaccurate over the years--counter drift
I believe was his exact phrasing. A re-run of the full count would probably
result in a very different number than what we think. I'm not talking to the
tune of hundreds of thousands of articles, but probably at least a few
thousands lower than what we've got now.

Of course, nobody wants that number to go down--article milestones are
great PR. We've just celebrated 3mil, and it would be rough for the
community to see 2.8mil tomorrow :)

-Chad

Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Day 1: Create article "Apple is a fruit".
> Day 2: Create article "Pear is a fruit".
> Day 3: Extend article about apples. Add photos. Cite sources.
> Day 3: Zero growth in the number of articles. Panic!!!

I concur wholeheartedly. Focusing on rising article counts gave us a thrill
for many years, and now it is difficult to kick the bad habit.
The number became less and less meaningful with introduction of bots. It
also skews the comparison between large and small wikipedias.
There is more bot activity on small wikipedias, relatively speaking, but my
guess is most of that activity on small wikipedias is on housekeeping tasks
(e.g. interwiki links).
On a small wikipedia (at least most of them) there is simply not enough of a
community to drive this semi automated article creation process.

Also a say 30% share of bot edits on some Wikipedia does not mean 30% of
articles have been created by bots. My guess is that share is higher.

Too often I see people bragging how they managed to 'one up' another
Wikipedia in the rankings.
I think it would help if we discouraged any bragging on the 4th millionth
article in the English Wikipedia at all and downplayed any inquiries from
the media.

Here is nice trivia which is somewhat relevant:
Volapük has 118,788 articles (July 2009). Out of these 54 were added in the
last 12 months. This is because of retirement of an article creation bot.
There were 224.481 edits on Volapük (96% by bots) in the last year.
Ah I just learned I have a welcome message on my user page on the Volapük
Wikipedia :-)

Erik Zachte

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/BotActivityMatrix.htm
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesCurrentStatusVerbose.htm

Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
> Also a say 30% share of bot edits on some Wikipedia does not mean 30% of

> articles have been created by bots. My guess is that share is higher.

That was too rash. I simply don't know the actual amount, but there is no
linear relation for sure.

Let me rephrase that more safely:

If say only 1% of bots edits is for the creation of an article it might
still mean 10% or 20% of articles have been created by bots.

Erik Zachte

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
I couldn't agree more, Erik. Not paying attention to "milestones" is
the first and best step; Wikipedia:Signpost should start with it.
Ziko

2009/8/20 Erik Zachte <erikzachte@infodisiac.com>:

> I concur wholeheartedly. Focusing on rising article counts gave us a thrill
> for many years, and now it is difficult to kick the bad habit.

> On a small wikipedia (at least most of them) there is simply not enough of a
> community to drive this semi automated article creation process.
>
> I think it would help if we discouraged any bragging on the 4th millionth
> article in the English Wikipedia at all and downplayed any inquiries from
> the media.

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
For some of our smaller projects, the number of articles are the only
milestones available. It is necessary to celebrate progress. It is
meaningful when the Swahili Wikipedia becomes the biggest African language
Wikipedia. It is meanigful when you compare it with most of the other
African language projects that have no life in them.

I agree that on many levels the numbers game is of little relevance however
it becomes relevant when there is a need for the celebration of progress in
a project. A need to be motivated to go on with the gigantic task that is
writing a Wikipedia.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/20 Lars Aronsson <lars@aronsson.se>:
> David Gerard wrote:

>> Yes, completely. Do other Wikipedias show the same S-curve of growth?

> I don't think it's an S-curve. I think we are seeing linear
> growth, with a few exceptions in the very early days (years).
> But hey, that's growth in the number of articles.  We shouldn't
> focus on the number of articles, but on the overall usefulness.
> Day 1: Create article "Apple is a fruit".
> Day 2: Create article "Pear is a fruit".
> Day 3: Extend article about apples. Add photos. Cite sources.
> Day 3: Zero growth in the number of articles. Panic!!!

How about word count?

en:wp is currently estimated at about 1.6 BILLION WORDS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_in_volumes

"3 million articles", that somehow doesn't sound as big as A BILLION
WORDS. Can you wrap your head around what A BILLION WORDS actually
means, how big that really is?

(For comparison: Tolkien's 'Lord Of The Rings' is about 470,000 words;
Proust's 'À la recherche du temps perdu' is about 9 million words.)

- d.

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hi Gerard,
Indeed, people need news. But they can be produced also with more
sence having accomplishments: All mayors of our capital have an
article, the 50 most important folk singers, great illustrated
articles on the fauna and flora of our region...
Kind regards
Ziko

2009/8/20 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>:
> Hoi,
> For some of our smaller projects, the number of articles are the only
> milestones available. It is necessary to celebrate progress. It is
> meaningful when the Swahili Wikipedia becomes the biggest African language
> Wikipedia. It is meanigful when you compare it with most of the other
> African language projects that have no life in them.
>
> I agree that on many levels the numbers game is of little relevance however
> it becomes relevant when there is a need for the celebration of progress in
> a project. A need to be motivated to go on with the gigantic task that is
> writing a Wikipedia.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> 2009/8/20 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk@googlemail.com>
>
>> I couldn't agree more, Erik. Not paying attention to "milestones" is
>> the first and best step; Wikipedia:Signpost should start with it.
>> Ziko
>>
>> 2009/8/20 Erik Zachte <erikzachte@infodisiac.com>:
>>
>> > I concur wholeheartedly. Focusing on rising article counts gave us a
>> thrill
>> > for many years, and now it is difficult to kick the bad habit.
>>
>> > On a small wikipedia (at least most of them) there is simply not enough
>> of a
>> > community to drive this semi automated article creation process.
>> >
>> > I think it would help if we discouraged any bragging on the 4th millionth
>> > article in the English Wikipedia at all and downplayed any inquiries from
>> > the media.

>> --
>> Ziko van Dijk
>> NL-Silvolde

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
I wrote articles on all the fish of the Benelux. I cheered when I was done..
Nobody else did. What we need is to celebrate something that has meaning to
all. Articles do that better then anything I know.

The thing with news is that it needs to be told. That is why I blog for
instance, how else do I explain that a GLAM is not about getting images for
Wikipedia but that they provide the basis for the credibility of the
illustrations we use. Compare that to article numbers, there is the suspense
of the numbers rising to this magical number... It is a great show, and
while it may have limited meaning, it gives a more universal sense of
accomplishment.

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/20 Erik Zachte <erikzachte@infodisiac.com>:
> Too often I see people bragging how they managed to 'one up' another
> Wikipedia in the rankings.
> I think it would help if we discouraged any bragging on the 4th millionth
> article in the English Wikipedia at all and downplayed any inquiries from
> the media.

Milestones are important, especially for PR purposes. We just need to
work out which milestones should be emphasised. For small Wikipedias
number of articles is probably a good choice, for larger ones,
particularly the English Wikipedia, it probably isn't. We need to
start emphasising quality more than quantity (everyone knows we have
lots and lots of articles - that's not news!). A few months ago we
passed the 2,500 FA milestone on enwiki and I completely missed it -
that would have been a good milestone to make a big deal about. We
should make a big deal out of the 3000 FA milestone when we get there
(probably about a year's time, judging by a quick glance at the FA
stats page). FAs+GAs is approaching 10,000, though - we'll probably
reach that in a couple of months - I suggest issuing a press release
for that milestone in an attempt to get the media interested in the
quality of Wikipedia articles. (Obviously self-assessed quality is
only of limited value, but external assessment doesn't happen very
often.)

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/21 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:

> Milestones are important, especially for PR purposes. We just need to
> work out which milestones should be emphasised. For small Wikipedias
> number of articles is probably a good choice, for larger ones,
> particularly the English Wikipedia, it probably isn't.

I'd like to have a big fuss over the "TWO BILLION WORDS" milestone,
though that's a way off yet. TWO BILLION WORDS. Holy crap, that's a
LOT of text.

Your Featured Articles suggestion is good, though we must keep in mind
that the en:wp FA requirements keep ratcheting upwards, such that the
total pretty closely tracks 0.1% of the article count.

- d.

Re: Lack of research on Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/22 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/21 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:
>
>> Milestones are important, especially for PR purposes. We just need to
>> work out which milestones should be emphasised. For small Wikipedias
>> number of articles is probably a good choice, for larger ones,
>> particularly the English Wikipedia, it probably isn't.
>

> I'd like to have a big fuss over the "TWO BILLION WORDS" milestone,
> though that's a way off yet. TWO BILLION WORDS. Holy crap, that's a
> LOT of text.
>
> Your Featured Articles suggestion is good, though we must keep in mind
> that the en:wp FA requirements keep ratcheting upwards, such that the
> total pretty closely tracks 0.1% of the article count.

The main article growth rate is dropping, though, so the FA count
might get a chance to catch up. I don't really see that that is a
problem, anyway, more FAs is more FAs, regardless of how many other
articles there are. Standards climbing is better than standards
dropping, although that increase is standards is part of what made me
suggest including GAs too. A GA today isn't far off an FA when they
were started. Actually, it's probably stricter - we weren't too good
at references back then.