Mailing List Archive

Election Results
The Wikimedia Foundation's Board Election Committee has concluded the
board selection process, and is pleased to announce that the
candidates ranked as follows:

Final ranking

1 Ting Chen (Wing)
2 Kat Walsh (mindspillage)
3 Samuel Klein (Sj)
4 Gerard Meijssen (GerardM)
5 Domas Mituzas (Midom)
6 Thomas Braun (Redlinux)
7 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen (Cimon Avaro)
8 Steve Smith (Sarcasticidealist)
9 Dan Rosenthal (Swatjester)
10 José Gustavo Góngora (Góngora)
11 Brady Brim-DeForest (Bradybd)
12 Lourie Pieterse (LouriePieterse)
13 Adam Koenigsberg (CastAStone)
14 Ralph Potdevin (Aruspice)
15 Beauford Anton Stenberg (B9 hummingbird hovering)
16 Gregory Kohs (Thekohser)
17 Kevin Riley O'Keeffe (KevinOKeeffe)
18 Relly Komaruzaman (Relly Komaruzaman)

A full pairwise defeats table will be posted shortly.

These names have been respectfully submitted to the Board, which has
moved to seat the top three candidates.

The Committee wishes to thank all those who submitted themselves as
candidates. It was a broad and diverse field this year. We also wish
to recognize the many volunteers that helped with this process. The
committee extends its gratitude and thanks to them

For the committee,
Philippe

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Philippe
Beaudette<pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The Wikimedia Foundation's Board Election Committee has concluded the
> board selection process, and is pleased to announce that the
> candidates ranked as follows:
>
>  Final ranking
>
> 1       Ting Chen (Wing)
> 2       Kat Walsh (mindspillage)
> 3       Samuel Klein (Sj)
> 4       Gerard Meijssen (GerardM)
> 5       Domas Mituzas (Midom)
> 6       Thomas Braun (Redlinux)
> 7       Jussi-Ville Heiskanen (Cimon Avaro)
> 8       Steve Smith (Sarcasticidealist)
> 9       Dan Rosenthal (Swatjester)
> 10      José Gustavo Góngora (Góngora)
> 11      Brady Brim-DeForest (Bradybd)
> 12      Lourie Pieterse (LouriePieterse)
> 13      Adam Koenigsberg (CastAStone)
> 14      Ralph Potdevin (Aruspice)
> 15      Beauford Anton Stenberg (B9 hummingbird hovering)
> 16      Gregory Kohs (Thekohser)
> 17      Kevin Riley O'Keeffe (KevinOKeeffe)
> 18      Relly Komaruzaman (Relly Komaruzaman)
>
> A full pairwise defeats table will be posted shortly.
>
> These names have been respectfully submitted to the Board, which has
> moved to seat the top three candidates.
>
> The Committee wishes to thank all those who submitted themselves as
> candidates.  It was a broad and diverse field this year.  We also wish
> to recognize the many volunteers that helped with this process.  The
> committee extends its gratitude and thanks to them
>

> For the committee,
> Philippe

Congrats to the winners!

-Chad

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
While I personally am very pleased with the results, I wonder how the
election results will be perceived outside Wikimedia.
With numerous media outlets reacting to PARC's research about the state of
the community, I fear this endorsement of seemingly "old guard" Wikimedians
as our Board representation will support claims about the community becoming
unfriendly to new participants.
Thoughts? Am I being too nervous, or do others see that potential too?

If I'm not alone, perhaps any official announcement about the elections
(i.e. on the Wikimedia blog and in press releases) should address this, even
if only tacitly.

Steven Walling

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Steven Walling<steven.walling@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I personally am very pleased with the results, I wonder how the
> election results will be perceived outside Wikimedia.
> With numerous media outlets reacting to PARC's research about the state of
> the community, I fear this endorsement of seemingly "old guard" Wikimedians
> as our Board representation will support claims about the community becoming
> unfriendly to new participants.
> Thoughts? Am I being too nervous, or do others see that potential too?
>
> If I'm not alone, perhaps any official announcement about the elections
> (i.e. on the Wikimedia blog and in press releases) should address this, even
> if only tacitly.
>
> Steven Walling
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Philippe
>> Beaudette<pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> > The Wikimedia Foundation's Board Election Committee has concluded the
>> > board selection process, and is pleased to announce that the
>> > candidates ranked as follows:
>> >
>> >  Final ranking
>> >
>> > 1       Ting Chen (Wing)
>> > 2       Kat Walsh (mindspillage)
>> > 3       Samuel Klein (Sj)
>> > 4       Gerard Meijssen (GerardM)
>> > 5       Domas Mituzas (Midom)
>> > 6       Thomas Braun (Redlinux)
>> > 7       Jussi-Ville Heiskanen (Cimon Avaro)
>> > 8       Steve Smith (Sarcasticidealist)
>> > 9       Dan Rosenthal (Swatjester)
>> > 10      José Gustavo Góngora (Góngora)
>> > 11      Brady Brim-DeForest (Bradybd)
>> > 12      Lourie Pieterse (LouriePieterse)
>> > 13      Adam Koenigsberg (CastAStone)
>> > 14      Ralph Potdevin (Aruspice)
>> > 15      Beauford Anton Stenberg (B9 hummingbird hovering)
>> > 16      Gregory Kohs (Thekohser)
>> > 17      Kevin Riley O'Keeffe (KevinOKeeffe)
>> > 18      Relly Komaruzaman (Relly Komaruzaman)
>> >
>> > A full pairwise defeats table will be posted shortly.
>> >
>> > These names have been respectfully submitted to the Board, which has
>> > moved to seat the top three candidates.
>> >
>> > The Committee wishes to thank all those who submitted themselves as
>> > candidates.  It was a broad and diverse field this year.  We also wish
>> > to recognize the many volunteers that helped with this process.  The
>> > committee extends its gratitude and thanks to them
>> >

>> > For the committee,
>> > Philippe

>> Congrats to the winners!
>>
>> -Chad

Similar to how we have Senators in office for 20+ years...because they
continue to run and people continue to elect them. We certainly had
a wide cross-section of Wikimedians this year. But nobody voted
for them.

-Chad

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Philippe
Beaudette<pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The Wikimedia Foundation's Board Election Committee has concluded the
> board selection process, and is pleased to announce that the
> candidates ranked as follows:

Wikimedia is an amazing thing to be part of and I'm honored to be
chosen again, and I will at least try to make *different* mistakes
this time after hopefully learning from the old ones!

Congrats to Ting and SJ -- and a thank you to Domas, who is not only a
good big scary sysadmin but also a good big scary board member.

Cheers,
Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat@wikimedia.org * Personal: kat@mindspillage.org

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
Congratulations to the victors and thank you to all the candidates and
thank you to the departing Domas!

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
My first response is that's probably a reflection of the voting system. When you have a non-partisan system like this, there are no clear political pro/con reasons to vote for/against particular candidates and the anti-incumbency factor doesn't really work. Candidates are likely to be successful if they're well known, and that will give an advantage to more established editors.

However, you might be over-stating this conclusion. All three retiring candidates stood again and only two were re-elected - Domas Mituzas lost out to sj.

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Kat Walsh<kat@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Congrats to Ting and SJ -- and a thank you to Domas, who is not only a
> good big scary sysadmin but also a good big scary board member.

Congrats to the three (re-)elected board members and all the best for
the upcoming term. The voting system seems to do a great job in
expressing what a majority actually prefers :)

Re Domas, I hope the board is going to rely on his advise and expertise.

Mathias

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
Let me add my congratulations to our newly elected or re-elected Board
members. :-)

Domas - thank you for all your contributions as a Board member. I'm
still amazed that you managed to serve on the Board while continuing
your technical volunteer work!
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
> A full pairwise defeats table will be posted shortly.

Would you please add detailed statistic summary (number of people
voted, %% of eligible wikipedians, dice and slice of those to projects
groups etc.) ?
... I mean as detailed as possible - more is better

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Philippe

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Pavlo Shevelo<pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A full pairwise defeats table will be posted shortly.
>
> Would you please add detailed statistic summary (number of people
> voted, %% of eligible wikipedians, dice and slice of those to projects
> groups etc.) ?
> ... I mean as detailed as possible - more is better

{{Sofixit}}

The things you are asking for should be possible with already
available public data. These things would be good, but they are
things that *you* can do. :)

Please save the election committees' cycles for dealing with whatever
non-public stuff remains. :)

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Andrew
Turvey<andrewrturvey@googlemail.com> wrote:
> My first response is that's probably a reflection of the voting system. When you have a non-partisan system like this, there are no clear political pro/con reasons to vote for/against particular candidates and the anti-incumbency factor doesn't really work. Candidates are likely to be successful if they're well known, and that will give an advantage to more established editors.
>
> However, you might be over-stating this conclusion. All three retiring candidates stood again and only two were re-elected - Domas Mituzas lost out to sj.

Congratulations to Ting, Kat and Sj for being elected, and to
committee for handling such a complex vote so smoothly. I think the
community has chosen really well, and seeing that also the runners-up
are well-known people, it's clear that the voiting system works well.
Cruccone

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
> The things you are asking for should be possible with already
> available public data. These things would be good, but they are
> things that *you* can do. :)

Maybe my English is not good enough but I don't get it:
Either you suggest that it will be possible or you're quite sure about that?

... and what about data correction due to dramatic error being discussed.

... and where are those public data anyhow?
(you may call me dummy, but I have no clue about that)

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Pavlo Shevelo<pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe my English is not good enough but I don't get it:

Your English is far better than my Ukrainian. I apologise for not
being more clear.

> Either you suggest that it will be possible or you're quite sure about that?
> ... and what about data correction due to dramatic error being discussed.
> ... and where are those public data anyhow?
> (you may call me dummy, but I have no clue about that)

The list of voters and projects is available at

https://wikimedia.spi-inc.org/index.php?limit=5000&title=Special%3ASecurePoll%2Flist%2F17

Rough eligibility can be derived from edit histories. This is a bit
harder to calculate, though anyone with a toolserver account could do
this.

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
{{You're laughing on me }}

:(

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Congratulations Ting, Kat and Samuel. Thanks for everything so far and
more to come, domas :)

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 20:07, Steven Walling<steven.walling@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I personally am very pleased with the results, I wonder how the
> election results will be perceived outside Wikimedia.
> With numerous media outlets reacting to PARC's research about the state of
> the community, I fear this endorsement of seemingly "old guard" Wikimedians
> as our Board representation will support claims about the community becoming
> unfriendly to new participants.
> Thoughts? Am I being too nervous, or do others see that potential too?

Since the board of the Wikimedia Foundation is our ultimate authority
(where necessary), surely it should be made up of old hands and
experienced veterans who, by being around and demonstrating their
sanity repeatedly, are most likely to be successful in the role? We
should encourage new contributors in more accessible jobs, where they
can make an equally valuable contribution, while putting those who (we
would like to think) have proved themselves to be committed and
knowledgeable in the ultimate positions of responsibility and power.

Sean Whitton / <sean@silentflame.com>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x25F4EAB7

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On 8/12/09 12:07 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> While I personally am very pleased with the results, I wonder how the
> election results will be perceived outside Wikimedia.
> With numerous media outlets reacting to PARC's research about the state of
> the community, I fear this endorsement of seemingly "old guard" Wikimedians
> as our Board representation will support claims about the community becoming
> unfriendly to new participants.
> Thoughts? Am I being too nervous, or do others see that potential too?

On the contrary, getting the old guard more active is essential in
resolving such community issues -- Wikipedia was much more
newbie-friendly in its first couple of years than it is today, and we
need to recover that spirit.

-- brion

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
Let me clarify: I'm not actually arguing that anything is wrong with the
election system, the results, or having old hands on the Board. On the
contrary. I'm just wondering if this election (even if it's not unusual)
might be conflated with the PARC stats on the community that have gotten so
much attention from the media lately. That's all.
Steven Walling

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On 8/12/09 1:48 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> Let me clarify: I'm not actually arguing that anything is wrong with the
> election system, the results, or having old hands on the Board. On the
> contrary. I'm just wondering if this election (even if it's not unusual)
> might be conflated with the PARC stats on the community that have gotten so
> much attention from the media lately. That's all.

a) I doubt it
and
b) I gave an example response of why that's not a bad thing

-- brion

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Pavlo Shevelo<pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com> wrote:
> {{You're laughing on me }}
>
> :(

I don't think so. "Your English is better than my <whatever>
language." is a honest response.

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
BTW, congratulations from me, too.

I expect that:
* Kate will stay as a hardline defender of the community interests;
* Ting will continue to promote interests of the worldwide Wikimedians;
* Samuel will bring fresh ideas about which he talked publicly, as
well as privately with many of us.

I also hope that the Board will find a way how to engage Gerard and
Domas more into the WMF issues.

(And, articles in English are still mystery for me :])

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
> I don't think so. "Your English is better than my <whatever>
> language." is a honest response.

Thank you, Milos, I appreciate your input.

I meant another... aspect - like

> Rough eligibility can be derived from edit histories. This is a bit
> harder to calculate, though anyone with a toolserver account could do
> this.

... meaning that:
* I do believe that election comity should (if not have to / must)
share statistic data which is in their possession
as well as
* I don't have (and never had) toolserver account
etc.

So

{{Sofixit}}

looks like more the "friendliness to newcomers" issue (for this
mailing list and beyond) which is so popular in _discussions_ here
last time.

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Pavlo Shevelo<pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think so. "Your English is better than my <whatever>
>> language." is a honest response.
>
> Thank you, Milos, I appreciate your input.
>
> I meant another... aspect - like
>
>> Rough eligibility can be derived from edit histories. This is a bit
>> harder to calculate, though anyone with a toolserver account could do
>> this.
>
> ... meaning that:
> * I do believe that election comity should (if not have to / must)
> share statistic data which is in their possession
> as well as
> * I don't have (and never had) toolserver account
> etc.
>
> So
>
> {{Sofixit}}
>
> looks like more the "friendliness to newcomers" issue (for this
> mailing list and beyond) which is so popular in _discussions_ here
> last time.
>

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Milos Rancic<millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Pavlo Shevelo<pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> {{You're laughing on me }}
>>>
>>> :(
>>
>> I don't think so. "Your English is better than my <whatever>
>> language." is a honest response.

Well, the raw data is certainly available, but more involved
statistics will take someone with time and a computer to
do the number crunching. That was Greg's original point,
that anyone can use the data if they'd like, for whatever
statistical analysis suits your needs.

-Chad

Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Philippe Beaudette <
pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The Wikimedia Foundation's Board Election Committee has concluded the
> board selection process, and is pleased to announce that the
> candidates ranked as follows:
>
> Final ranking
>
> 1 Ting Chen (Wing)
> 2 Kat Walsh (mindspillage)
> 3 Samuel Klein (Sj)

Congrats to Tin, Kat & especially SJ!
Re: Election Results [ In reply to ]
Congrats to the winners, and thanks to all those who had the courage to
stand up and offer themselves as candidates.

-Luna