I have just received an email telling me I am eligible to vote in the
board elections when I have already voted. Please don't send
untargetted mass emails - they are spam.

Re: Board election spamming [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have just received an email telling me I am eligible to vote in the
> board elections when I have already voted. Please don't send
> untargetted mass emails - they are spam.

and also please don't send e-mails to bot accounts.

--User:Meno25
Re: Board election spamming [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Thomas Dalton<thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just received an email telling me I am eligible to vote in the
> board elections when I have already voted. Please don't send
> untargetted mass emails - they are spam.

"telling me I am eligible" and "untargetted mass e-mails" don't really
make sense together, do they? Also, although you're only getting one
e-mail once per year (will be every two years), you're free to opt-out
(there are instructions in the e-mail you received).

/me wonders why you wouldn't just hit reply to the e-mail and send
this message to people who actually can do something about it, rather
than foundation-l.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Meno 25<meno25wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> and also please don't send e-mails to bot accounts.

Yes, that's a good point. It seems this was an error this time around
and they'll probably remember to leave those ones out next time.
(Hopefully we'll have people writing up a "how-to" page for future
years.)

--
Casey Brown (who is not an election committee member, hence the third person)
Cbrown1023

Re: Board election spamming [ In reply to ]
Thomas,

I'm sorry you got an email that bothered you. Trust me, we try to make sure no one is bothered by them. Sometimes people fall through the cracks, and I'm sorry that was the case here and in a few other cases.

We try - hard - to make sure that everyone who is entitled to vote knows it. Hours of translator and committee time went into that email. This morning, folks from the translation team worked hard to make the email as close as possible to perfect. Werdna created and managed the scripts and other vols have worked hard to manage the (multi lingual) responses. My point here is that we take suffrage very seriously and in our effort to make sure that EVERY qualified voter knew it, we didn't get it perfectly.

If that's the trade off for getting increased turnout in this critical election, I hope you can understand. I will sleep well tonight, knowing that we erred on the side of hitting TOO MANY voters, instead of not enough.

For myself only, but quite sure others share my feelings,
Philippe