Mailing List Archive

Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support
There has been a technical discussion on wikitech-l regarding the
recommendation of a browser for the high quality open video experience.

Some native implementations are ~presently~ non optimal and the java
cortado applet we use where no native support is available is a poor
user experience relative to native support. Therefore we are considering
informing people who want to view video that for a high quality
expericne with free formats they should use a particular browser.
Presently that browser is Firefox 3.5. Key to this recommendation is we
will continue to support playback in other browsers the best that we can
but we should inform people that a better experience is possible. This
hopefully will encourage other browser vendors to improve the free
format experience and support or lose market share.

== Technical Support Considerations ==

* Mozilla Firefox 3.5 release version -- has worked closely with the
xiph community and supports html5 ogg theora video natively with a high
quality experience across all platforms.

* Apple Safari -- supports html5 video but recommends the h.264 as the
format. To support ogg you must install the xiph qt components written
by xiph.org community members. The installation involves downloading a
file, mounting an install image and dragging a component to the
library/components folder on the target machine.
** In the present release version of Safari its difficult to reliably
detect if the browser support the video tag with free formats.
** Seeking past what has already been downloaded does not work.
** The quicktime framework / ogg component does not work well with
server side seeking helpers we have been developing.

* Google Chromium -- supports h.264 and ogg theora video natively. Again
ogg performance is not very high quality. It uses the ffmpeg library
which features a non-optimal theora decoder. Things like seeking
presently don't work very reliably.

* Opera -- Was one of the first browsers to demo ogg theora support in
their browser. They are presently working on re-including it in a
release. ~presently it does not support the video tag~

* Microsoft IE -- has no support for the video tag and no support for
ogg theora. We support playback in IE via the java cortado applet.

** the java cortado applet is a fall-back for browsers that don't
support the native video tag. Its not a very high quality user
experience. Sometimes java crashes the browser, it generally takes a
while to startup; seeking does not work very well and video is not
cached causing more expenses to the wikimedia foundation on repeat video
views.

== Institutional Support Considerations ==

Institutional the Mozilla foundation has worked with Wikimedia and the
xiph.org community to realize Ogg Theora video in the open web platform.
They supported wikiemdia/xiph.org with a 100k grant early this year to
improve the ogg libraries for playback, improve codec encoding quality
and develop open source server side technologies for improved seeking
performance.

While Apple does at least support adding in of codecs into the quicktime
system and some people form Apple have had friendly conversations with
us. The Apple Corporation essentially says "it can't ship default
support for xiph because of perceived patent risk". With Google shipping
Chrome with ogg support the submarine patent argument (that no other
large company is shipping ogg) would appear to be less valid. Perhaps we
as "wikimedia" could help apple do the right thing?

Also have not heard much from Microsoft regarding free formats. Again I
think market pressures are the only thing that will drive adoption in
this case.

== Proposed Approach and Proof of Concept ==

Presently the proposed solution is to soft link to the Mozilla Firefox
browser: see mockup:
http://metavid.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/upgrade_to_firefox.png
or see it in action:
http://metavid.org/wiki/File:FolgersCoffe_512kb.1496.ogv

Note that informing the user that a better experience is possible with
alternative browser software, it will not disable or remove our
fall-back java support.

peace,
--michael

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 Michael Dale <mdale@wikimedia.org>:

> * Google Chromium -- supports h.264 and ogg theora video natively. Again
> ogg performance is not very high quality. It uses the ffmpeg library
> which features a non-optimal theora decoder. Things like seeking
> presently don't work very reliably.

Does Chromium actually support h.264?

Chrome will *next* version but not this one.

> While Apple does at least support adding in of codecs into the quicktime
> system and some people form Apple have had friendly conversations with
> us. The Apple Corporation essentially says "it can't ship default
> support for xiph because of perceived patent risk". With Google shipping
> Chrome with ogg support the submarine patent argument (that no other
> large company is shipping ogg) would appear to be less valid. Perhaps we
> as "wikimedia" could help apple do the right thing?

There's no fallback provision for iPhone users. This is because of
Apple's active decision not to support Theora.

Either we appear defective ("Sorry, we can't serve you a file you can
use, we suck") or we correctly note that the problem is Apple's
decision ("Sorry, your iPhone cannot play this video as Apple does not
support Ogg Theora").

Apple are presumably not ashamed of their decision. Perhaps we could
ask what they consider a suitable wording and go from there.

> Presently the proposed solution is to soft link to the Mozilla Firefox
> browser: see mockup:
> http://metavid.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/upgrade_to_firefox.png

I'd say "For better" rather than "For best." There should probably be
a link to an editable page where people will doubtless go into
intricate geeky detail.

There remains the question of what to do for iPhone (and presumably
Nokia) users whose phone providers have actively decided to exclude
Theora from their devices.

- d.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 Michael Dale <mdale@wikimedia.org>:
> There has been a technical discussion on wikitech-l regarding the
> recommendation of a browser for the high quality open video experience.
>
> Some native implementations are ~presently~ non optimal and the java
> cortado applet we use where no native support is available is a poor
> user experience relative to native support. Therefore we are considering
> informing people who want to view video that for a high quality
> expericne with free formats they should use a particular browser.
> Presently that browser is Firefox 3.5. Key to this recommendation is we
> will continue to support playback in other browsers the best that we can
> but we should inform people that a better experience is possible. This
> hopefully will encourage other browser vendors to improve the free
> format experience and support or lose market share.

Promoting any one browser for any reason is kinda dicey. Given how
contentious browser wars are it wouldn't look to good from the POV of
remaining neutral. Has anyone managed to work the firefox code into
Konqueror yet?

--
geni

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:

> Promoting any one browser for any reason is kinda dicey. Given how
> contentious browser wars are it wouldn't look to good from the POV of
> remaining neutral. Has anyone managed to work the firefox code into
> Konqueror yet?

Konqueror isn't a serious suggestion as a casual install - anyone on
Unix who has Konqueror has expressly chosen it, anyone who hasn't has
a couple of hundred megabytes of KDE to download. And it's officially
alpha on Windows and Mac.

Saying "and Konqueror" is giving undue weight in the name of pseudo-neutrality.

At present, it's helpful that Firefox 3.5 is the ONLY release browser
that does the job. Best get in there while we can.

- d.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/9 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
>
>> Promoting any one browser for any reason is kinda dicey. Given how
>> contentious browser wars are it wouldn't look to good from the POV of
>> remaining neutral. Has anyone managed to work the firefox code into
>> Konqueror yet?
>

> Konqueror isn't a serious suggestion as a casual install - anyone on
> Unix who has Konqueror has expressly chosen it, anyone who hasn't has
> a couple of hundred megabytes of KDE to download. And it's officially
> alpha on Windows and Mac.
>
> Saying "and Konqueror" is giving undue weight in the name of pseudo-neutrality.
>
> At present, it's helpful that Firefox 3.5 is the ONLY release browser
> that does the job. Best get in there while we can.

Which means any announcement will be so low key that it won't help
anyone or it will be read as Firefox being the "official" browser of
wikimedia. And Konqueror would at least have let us dodge that one
(Iceweasel on the other hand doesn't really get that effect).

Mention VLC plugin perhaps?

--
geni

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:

> Mention VLC plugin perhaps?

Again, you're making suggestions to create an image of
pseudo-neutrality. The VLC plugin is notoriously problematic in
practice. Your suggestion would be actively misleading. I strongly
suggest you read the wikitech-l thread.

- d.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/9 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
>
>> Mention VLC plugin perhaps?
>

> Again, you're making suggestions to create an image of
> pseudo-neutrality. The VLC plugin is notoriously problematic in
> practice. Your suggestion would be actively misleading. I strongly
> suggest you read the wikitech-l thread.

We didn't put "this PNG file doesn't look right because you are useing
IE6" anywhere. Effectively suggesting that people should switch to
anyone browser is the kind of thing that is likely to cause problems
down the road. Ideally we will always be introducing new formats and
the like and when that happens other providers will have a legitimate
complaint if we don't recommend them.

Incidentally in the demo version the smaller version of the file (the
thumbnail) the recommendation doesn't work too well in seamoneky
1.1.17 since it escapes the video box.

Works fine in IE 6 though which is probably more important.

--
geni

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/9 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:

>> Mention VLC plugin perhaps?

> Again, you're making suggestions to create an image of
> pseudo-neutrality. The VLC plugin is notoriously problematic in
> practice. Your suggestion would be actively misleading. I strongly
> suggest you read the wikitech-l thread.

Here, I'll even do some of your homework for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/extensions/OggHandler/OggPlayer.js?10

- d.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/10 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/9 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
>> 2009/7/9 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
>
>>> Mention VLC plugin perhaps?
>
>> Again, you're making suggestions to create an image of
>> pseudo-neutrality. The VLC plugin is notoriously problematic in
>> practice. Your suggestion would be actively misleading. I strongly
>> suggest you read the wikitech-l thread.
>

> Here, I'll even do some of your homework for you:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/extensions/OggHandler/OggPlayer.js?10
>

> - d.

I assume you are pointing to the "Downpreffed VLC because it crashes
my browser all the damn time -- TS" comment.

Still another problem with recommending an option is well when this happens:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Videoscreengrab_of_Morris_C8_towing.ogv

As you can see following the recommended course of action results in a
far from idea experience. Now to be fair [[File:Morris C8 towing.ogv]]
is known to cause problems when played but it does work on the VLC
plugin with firefox 3.0 at least on my system.

As long as we don't explicitly recommend a player that isn't directly
our problem. Once we do that claim becomes harder to make.
--
geni

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/9 Michael Dale <mdale@wikimedia.org>:
> Presently the proposed solution is to soft link to the Mozilla Firefox
> browser: see mockup:
> http://metavid.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/upgrade_to_firefox.png
> or see it in action:
> http://metavid.org/wiki/File:FolgersCoffe_512kb.1496.ogv

My preference would be to provide a visible playback help link to a
simple overview page (pop-up?), essentially a better "Media help",
perhaps with a soft reference to open standards. Unfortunately,
community-created help pages tend to accumulate vast amounts of
instruction cruft that distracts from simple high-level information.

Whether for this or for other purposes, we need a tracking wiki page
that has a super-compact table of current browser support for
HTML5/Ogg Vorbis and Theora. Is there such a table already?
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
geni geniice at gmail.com wrote:
> I assume you are pointing to the "Downpreffed VLC because it crashes
> my browser all the damn time -- TS" comment.
> Still another problem with recommending an option is well when this happens:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Videoscreengrab_of_Morris_C8_towing.ogv
> As you can see following the recommended course of action results in a
> far from idea experience. Now to be fair [[File:Morris C8 towing.ogv]]
> is known to cause problems when played but it does work on the VLC
> plugin with firefox 3.0 at least on my system.

Mozilla is quite responsive. (I fixed quite a few video bugs prior to release)

But in this case there doesn't appear to be any real firefox problem.

You've got a >6mbit/sec Ogg/Theora file. The stalling is because
firefox doesn't prebuffer and your connection isn't fast enough to get
ahead of it. Once the file is transferred moving the playhead back to
the start gives smooth video.

Prebuffering can be achieved by setting the autobuffer parameter
before playback begins. The current way video is launched by the site
defeats that. Other playback methods will hold the initial playback
until some buffer has filled, so they don't exhibit the same behavior.

This situation can be improved by managing the buffering process using
JS or simply making good use of autobuffer.

But the real flaw here is expecting a 6mbit/sec file to stream…
Unfortunately until we have some trans-coding infrastructure that will
remain a problem.

I was thinking about running a bot to take all uploaded videos shrink
them to 480px (if larger) and encode at reasonable streaming friendly
bitrates, then uploading back as filename_thumb480 and replacing them
in articles. I'm not sure how people will feel about that but it will
greatly improve video playability without encouraging people to upload
at low qualities which are completely unsuitable for editing.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/10 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:

> Whether for this or for other purposes, we need a tracking wiki page
> that has a super-compact table of current browser support for
> HTML5/Ogg Vorbis and Theora. Is there such a table already?

Here it is, it's pretty simple:

Browser | Supports Theora in <video>?
--------------+-----------------------------
Firefox 3.5 | Yes
All others | No

As I noted, trying to pretend otherwise in an attempt not to point out
that precisely one browser in fact does the job, and it happens to be
quite a popular one, is indulging in misleading pseudo-neutrality.

- d.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> geni geniice at gmail.com wrote:
>> I assume you are pointing to the "Downpreffed VLC because it crashes
>> my browser all the damn time -- TS" comment.
>> Still another problem with recommending an option is well when this happens:
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Videoscreengrab_of_Morris_C8_towing.ogv
>> As you can see following the recommended course of action results in a
>> far from idea experience. Now to be fair [[File:Morris C8 towing.ogv]]
>> is known to cause problems when played but it does work on the VLC
>> plugin with firefox 3.0 at least on my system.
>
> Mozilla is quite responsive. (I fixed quite a few video bugs prior to release)
>
> But in this case there doesn't appear to be any real firefox problem.
>
> You've got a >6mbit/sec Ogg/Theora file. The stalling is because
> firefox doesn't prebuffer and your connection isn't fast enough to get
> ahead of it. Once the file is transferred moving the playhead back to
> the start gives smooth video.
>
> Prebuffering can be achieved by setting the autobuffer parameter
> before playback begins. The current way video is launched by the site
> defeats that. Other playback methods will hold the initial playback
> until some buffer has filled, so they don't exhibit the same behavior.
>
> This situation can be improved by managing the buffering process using
> JS or simply making good use of autobuffer.
>
> But the real flaw here is expecting a 6mbit/sec file to stream…
> Unfortunately until we have some trans-coding infrastructure that will
> remain a problem.
>
> I was thinking about running a bot to take all uploaded videos shrink
> them to 480px (if larger) and encode at reasonable streaming friendly
> bitrates, then uploading back as filename_thumb480 and replacing them
> in articles.  I'm not sure how people will feel about that but it will
> greatly improve video playability without encouraging people to upload
> at low qualities which are completely unsuitable for editing.

I presume there's no way to thumbnail them in a way analogous to how
images are thumbnailed?

Thanks,
Pharos

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/10 geni <geniice@gmail.com>

> 2009/7/10 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:

> >> Again, you're making suggestions to create an image of
> >> pseudo-neutrality. The VLC plugin is notoriously problematic in
> >> practice. Your suggestion would be actively misleading. I strongly
> >> suggest you read the wikitech-l thread.
> >

> > Here, I'll even do some of your homework for you:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/extensions/OggHandler/OggPlayer.js?10
> >

> > - d.
>
> I assume you are pointing to the "Downpreffed VLC because it crashes
> my browser all the damn time -- TS" comment.

Oh so THAT's why Wikipedia insists on loading that damn Java applet, instead
of the VLC plugin I installed. Cortado crashes MY browser (and sometimes my
whole computer) all the time, to the extent that even as a long-time editor
who knows something about these matters, and a fairly tech-proficient user,
I now just avoid videos on Wikipedia entirely. That should change now I have
FF 3.5 (but I can't test it now because I'm at work with 3.0)

Pete / the wub
Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Does this mean that you would advise against Ubuntu for their use of
iceweasel and their inability to provide the 3.5 release in a timely fashion
?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
This is totally off-topic and also a low blow. Please join #ubuntu on
irc.freenode.net and ask about FF3.5 (or search google; no shortage of
information) - I think you'll find the answers more satisfying than this
email misleadingly suggests.

-Mike

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/10 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>:

> Does this mean that you would advise against Ubuntu for their use of
> iceweasel and their inability to provide the 3.5 release in a timely fashion
> ?

That question really doesn't make any sense in context. Why would we
advise *against* an OS?

- d.

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/10 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/10 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>:
>
>> Does this mean that you would advise against Ubuntu for their use of
>> iceweasel and their inability to provide the 3.5 release in a timely fashion
>> ?
>

> That question really doesn't make any sense in context. Why would we
> advise *against* an OS?

Ubuntu is as much a software package including an OS as a pure OS. It
can be considered amusing that the bundling that got Microsoft into
trouble has become standard practice for pretty much any general user
orientated OS these days.

--
geni

Re: Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support [ In reply to ]
2009/7/11 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:

> Ubuntu is as much a software package including an OS as a pure OS. It
> can be considered amusing  that the bundling that got Microsoft into
> trouble has become standard practice for pretty much any general user
> orientated OS these days.

This is a misconception: they got into trouble for abusing their
monopoly by software bundling, not for the software bundling itself.

In any case, your comment in no way actually advances the original question.

- d.