Mailing List Archive

Attribution on small interactive devices and systems
It seems like the attribution scheme chosen does not support small
interactive devices and systems very Well. Are there anyone who have
given this any thoughts?

The problem is basically as the chunk of information shrinks the
attribution scheme will be more and more of a problem. With the current
scheme the "paper leaflet" -problem are solved, still what do we do for
cell phones and similar devices? The same problem also arise for
solutions where excerpts from articles are used as tooltips in maps. I
guess there are a lot of other examples.

I would like a fourth point in the text that says something like
"attribution after good practice for devices and systems where the
previous isn't possible".

The current text reads: Attribution: To re-distribute a text page in any
form, provide credit to the authors either by including a) a hyperlink
(where possible) or URL to the page or pages you are re-using, b) a
hyperlink (where possible) or URL to an alternative, stable online copy
which is freely accessible, which conforms with the license, and which
provides credit to the authors in a manner equivalent to the credit
given on this website, or c) a list of all authors.

John

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
Minimum attribution of «Terms of Use» from Wikimdia Foundations site
would be
"
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"

That is 96 chars, with spaces, of 140 bytes available in a SMS. For some
languages the attribution will take more than one message. Ooops...

John

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM, John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no> wrote:

> Minimum attribution of «Terms of Use» from Wikimdia Foundations site
> would be
> "
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"
>
> That is 96 chars, with spaces, of 140 bytes available in a SMS. For some
> languages the attribution will take more than one message. Ooops...
>
> John

You just need to provide a url to the article. Type
wikipedia.org/articleinto your address bar and wait 5 seconds.
Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM, John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no> wrote:
>
>> Minimum attribution of «Terms of Use» from Wikimdia Foundations site
>> would be
>> "
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"
>>
>> That is 96 chars, with spaces, of 140 bytes available in a SMS. For some
>> languages the attribution will take more than one message. Ooops...
>>
>> John
>

> You just need to provide a url to the article. Type wikipedia.org/articleinto your address bar and wait 5 seconds.

I actually was not aware that the terms now ask you to link not only to the
article, but to the license as well. That is a burden.
Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> I actually was not aware that the terms now ask you to link not only to the
> article, but to the license as well. That is a burden.

Linking to the license (or providing it's actual text) is an explicit
requirement of CC-BY-SA.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Did you consider what this does in other scripts ... the notion that it is a
small number of characters is based on the notion that the script will be
the Latin script.. Other scripts tend to show as the Unicode numbers..
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 01:32, John at Darkstar<vacuum@jeb.no> wrote:
> Minimum attribution of «Terms of Use» from Wikimdia Foundations site
> would be
> "
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"
>
> That is 96 chars, with spaces, of 140 bytes available in a SMS. For some
> languages the attribution will take more than one message. Ooops...

Tinyurl and like? It's, well, tiny.

grin

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
There is a solution, and it is rather puzzling. The license talks about
identification by an URI, and this can be defined several ways. We can
simply define an URI like "Wikipedia:My article" or perhaps "cc:nnnnnn"
where the last is some kind of digital resource identifier for works
licensed by Creative Commons. The first are simpler to understand, while
the latter are somewhat shorter and more reusable.

John

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 21:45, John at Darkstar<vacuum@jeb.no> wrote:

> There is a solution, and it is rather puzzling. The license talks about
> identification by an URI, and this can be defined several ways. We can
> simply define an URI like "Wikipedia:My article" or perhaps "cc:nnnnnn"

Not very much different from an URL, it requires a net connection as well.

Still I believe URL is a correct pointer to the license, clickable or not.

grin

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
2009/7/4 Peter Gervai <grinapo@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 21:45, John at Darkstar<vacuum@jeb.no> wrote:

>> There is a solution, and it is rather puzzling. The license talks about
>> identification by an URI, and this can be defined several ways. We can
>> simply define an URI like "Wikipedia:My article" or perhaps "cc:nnnnnn"

> Not very much different from an URL, it requires a net connection as well.
> Still I believe URL is a correct pointer to the license, clickable or not.

And the original work. In particular, a revision ID is a unique
reference to a particular revision on a particular copy of MediaWiki,
e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/?oldid=299753371 (where I put [[:en:Karl
Malden]]'s birth name into the intro).

- d.

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:14 AM, David Gerard<dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Harald Krichel <harald.krichel@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Shouldn't we set up our own URL-aliasing service?
>> This would also have the advantage that you could be sure that the
>> wikimedia shortened urls only lead to wikimedia domains.
>

> I know of:
>
> http://enwp.org/
> http://enwn.net/
>

> - d.

Does anyone know the guy who owns enwp.org?

That being said, enwp.org/?oldid=1234 does work :)

-Chad

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Andrew Gray<andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Harald Krichel <harald.krichel@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Shouldn't we set up our own URL-aliasing service?
>> This would also have the advantage that you could be sure that the
>> wikimedia shortened urls only lead to wikimedia domains.
>>
>> eg.:
>> http://wp.cx/3tT5u7Z
>> redirects to
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=302589573
>
> I discovered yesterday that:
>
> enwp.org/Article
>
> redirects to
>
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article
>
> Sadly, it doesn't work with revision IDs, but it's a start!
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Yes it does, enwp.org/?oldid=60372135 should redirect you to
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/?oldid=60372135 which is a 2006 revision
of [[Old-Timers' Day]] (thanks Special:Random).

-Chad

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
I control enwn.net. We just set it up primarily for our Twitter feed. That
being said, I've already had requests to make it available for external
users - so that's in progress, and I can expand it to allow all WMF sites
(not just wn).

Otherwise it does support short redirects for CurID. Example:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/U.K._National_Portrait_Gallery_threatens_U.S._citizen_with_legal_action_over_Wikimedia_images?curid=129225
http://enwn.net/+129225

-Jon

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 08:14, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/17 Harald Krichel <harald.krichel@googlemail.com>:
>
> > Shouldn't we set up our own URL-aliasing service?
> > This would also have the advantage that you could be sure that the
> > wikimedia shortened urls only lead to wikimedia domains.
>

> I know of:
>
> http://enwp.org/
> http://enwn.net/
>

> - d.

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]]
http://snowulf.com/ - Blog
http://snowulf.imagekind.com/ - Pictures
This has been a test of the emergency sig system.
Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Jul 17, 2009, at 8:25 AM, Chad wrote:

> Does anyone know the guy who owns enwp.org?
>
> That being said, enwp.org/?oldid=1234 does work :)
>
> -Chad

(Asked whois.pir.org:43 about enwp.org)

Domain ID: D148943548-LROR
Domain Name: ENWP.ORG
Created On: 23-Aug-2007 14: 33: 18 UTC
Last Updated On: 21-Sep-2008 00: 28: 40 UTC
Expiration Date: 23-Aug-2009 14: 33: 18 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar: ASCIO Technologies Inc. - Denmark (R76-LROR)
Registrant ID: AT9622172-051
Registrant Name: Thomas Kjoerberg
Registrant Street1: Groennevollen 14
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City: Bergen
Registrant State/Province: --
Registrant Postal Code: 5016
Registrant Country: NO
Registrant Phone: 47.99298989
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email: tl-lomas@hotmail.com

Admin ID: AT4607819-051
Admin Name: Hostmaster Funktionen
Admin Organization: One.com A/S
Admin Street1: Kalvebod Brygge 45
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City: Copenhagen V
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 1560
Admin Country: DK
Admin Phone: 45.46907100
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX: 45.70205872
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email: hostmaster@b-one.nu

Tech ID: AT9622194-051
Tech Name: Hostmaster Funktionen
Tech Organization: One.com A/S
Tech Street1: Kalvebod Brygge 45
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City: Copenhagen V
Tech State/Province:
Tech Postal Code: 1560
Tech Country: DK
Tech Phone: 45.46907100
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX: 45.70205872
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email: hostmaster@b-one.nu

Name Server: NS1.B-ONE.NU
Name Server: NS2.B-ONE.NU
Name Server: NS3.B-ONE.NU
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Facilitator, Strategic Plan
Wikimedia Foundation

pbeaudette@wikimedia.org

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: Attribution on small interactive devices and systems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Philippe
Beaudette<pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2009, at 8:25 AM, Chad wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know the guy who owns enwp.org?
>>
>> That being said, enwp.org/?oldid=1234 does work :)
>>
>> -Chad
>

> (Asked whois.pir.org:43 about enwp.org)
>
>  Domain ID: D148943548-LROR
>  Domain Name: ENWP.ORG
>  Created On: 23-Aug-2007 14: 33: 18 UTC
>  Last Updated On: 21-Sep-2008 00: 28: 40 UTC
>  Expiration Date: 23-Aug-2009 14: 33: 18 UTC
>  Sponsoring Registrar: ASCIO Technologies  Inc. - Denmark (R76-LROR)
>  Registrant ID: AT9622172-051
>  Registrant Name: Thomas Kjoerberg
>  Registrant Street1: Groennevollen 14
>  Registrant Street2:
>  Registrant Street3:
>  Registrant City: Bergen
>  Registrant State/Province: --
>  Registrant Postal Code: 5016
>  Registrant Country: NO
>  Registrant Phone: 47.99298989
>  Registrant Phone Ext.:
>  Registrant FAX:
>  Registrant FAX Ext.:
>  Registrant Email: tl-lomas@hotmail.com
>
>  Admin ID: AT4607819-051
>  Admin Name: Hostmaster Funktionen
>  Admin Organization: One.com A/S
>  Admin Street1: Kalvebod Brygge 45
>  Admin Street2:
>  Admin Street3:
>  Admin City: Copenhagen V
>  Admin State/Province:
>  Admin Postal Code: 1560
>  Admin Country: DK
>  Admin Phone: 45.46907100
>  Admin Phone Ext.:
>  Admin FAX: 45.70205872
>  Admin FAX Ext.:
>  Admin Email: hostmaster@b-one.nu
>
>  Tech ID: AT9622194-051
>  Tech Name: Hostmaster Funktionen
>  Tech Organization: One.com A/S
>  Tech Street1: Kalvebod Brygge 45
>  Tech Street2:
>  Tech Street3:
>  Tech City: Copenhagen V
>  Tech State/Province:
>  Tech Postal Code: 1560
>  Tech Country: DK
>  Tech Phone: 45.46907100
>  Tech Phone Ext.:
>  Tech FAX: 45.70205872
>  Tech FAX Ext.:
>  Tech Email: hostmaster@b-one.nu
>
>  Name Server: NS1.B-ONE.NU
>  Name Server: NS2.B-ONE.NU
>  Name Server: NS3.B-ONE.NU
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>  Name Server:
>
> ____________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Facilitator, Strategic Plan
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> pbeaudette@wikimedia.org
>

> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

I did the whois too, but I don't know him. I was asking if
(in general) we know the guy who runs it :)

-Chad