Mailing List Archive

Reuse policy
Hello everybody,
I hope, it is never too late to discuss these things. Today, I have noticed
the Commons added following text under the edit window:

"Re-users will be required to credit you, at minimum, through a hyperlink or
URL to the article you are contributing to, and you hereby agree that such
credit is sufficient in any medium."

I was and I am a fan of switching to CC-BY-SA 3.0. However, I am not a fan of
this violation of freedom which Wikimedia declares for its projects.

It is true, a similar statement is present at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update . But this change was not
discussed at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Questions_and_Answers as I
can see (it was shortly discussed at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Questions_and_Answers/Oppositional_arguments ).
Also it was announced nowhere (as far as I know) that this policy will be
advertized in this explicite manner. I feel to be cheated. I was voting for
an easier implementation of freedom. I was definitively not voting for the
end of freedom. And this statement means the end of freedom.

Why end of freedom? Just imagine, the Wikimedia will have closed the business.
Everybody, who used links to provide a sufficient list of authors, will be in
troubles immediately. Yes, everybody can download dumps. But will this be
enough? No. For example it will not be possible to easily update just
published paper books (for example textbooks for children at schools). The
publisher will not be able to use the freedom, he could think he enjoyed.
Yes, the publisher can always exactly follow the license. But then Wikimedia
should not even suggest that something less than exact following of license
could be enough.

Similar, may be more understandable problem: just imagine, the article which
was reused, is deleted in the Wikimedia project. The list of authors will be
lost in a very similar way like in a case of Wikimedia shutting down
completely.

Just another problem: imagine, the Wikimedia foundation will get into
financial troubles. This can happen very easily (I hope it will not happen
soon). All the reusers who have thought linking to Wikimedia site was
sufficient, will be pushed under a serious threat. They can be
blackmailed: "give to Wikimedia foundation money or you can close your
business based on CC-BY-SA licensed content."

And one problem more: what about works of third parties? If somebody issues
his work under CC-BY-SA 3.0, how could anybody insert it into Wikimedia
projects when Wikimedia allows to re-use it and not to follow the original
attribution manner specified by the author? Either nobody could insert the
works of the third parties into Wikimedia projects or Wikimedia would
explicitely allow to violate the third party's rights given by license the
third party have chosen.

What is a freedom if it cannot be guaranteed for ever in all conditions? It is
not a freedom anymore. I am an author of quite many texts in Wikimedia
projects. I can hardly accept my work could be misused in such a way. I do
not allow to attribute my old works in this way. And I will be not willing to
continue working at, for example, Wikipedia if this becomes a common policy
there.

I understand this does not have to be a big problem at Commons - the image
descriptions are usually not the most important part of the articles. The
media (image, video, sound) is. And if I understand it well, the authors of
the media must be still attributed directly. However, I see it as a major
problem in case of Wikipedia and similar projects.

I understand re-using the texts inside Wikimedia project is complicated if the
attribution means a list of writers. But we should deal with this. It's a
challenge. We can show the world the collaborative authors can get
appropriate credits.

Please, do not apply this policy there. It will be a serious hit into a face
of freedom. It can mean the authors will not be willing to contribute so much
anymore. It can mean the Wikimedia foundation will be discredited. It can
mean the people will not be willing to make donations to the Foundation. It
can lead to the end of Wikimedia projects.

Best regards,
Jiri Hofman

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
The terms of use for editors will require that editors accept linking
as sufficient attribution; however, the instructions for re-users will
explicitly say that this is only one form of possible attribution and
highlight more permanent forms of attribution, such as creating author
lists. I would expect that book publishers and other concerned with
permanence would choose a more permanent format.

In the attribution survey of 1000+ editors in March, attribution by
link was the most popular option (though certainly not universally
accepted). Given that, I would expect that most text contributors
will happily continue editing, and it won't lead to "the end of
Wikimedia projects" as you suggest, even though some individuals may
choose to stop contributing.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Not that the conversation isn't worth having, but you should be aware that
we've been over every single one of these points at length on this list.

The WMF hosted version is considered a stable copy - it's safe to link to
and you have every reasonable assumption that it will continue to exist. If
it ceases to exist it's reasonable to assume that someone else will host a
stable copy and that redirects will be setup on all of the WMF domains to
the new stable copy. Honestly though, this is an apocalypse scenario, in
which case the stable copy is the least of your concerns.
You seem to be advocating what I consider to be an extremist point of view -
that all re-users should include the list of authors. The goal of the WMF is
not to give every person access to the list of all authors of the
potentially re-used piece of free knowledge they are looking at. It's the
knowledge itself that is important, and requiring a list of authors is a
serious burden that gets in the way. The hyperlink clause, reasonable to the
medium and means, is a more reasonable approach.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Дана Monday 15 June 2009 20:24:39 Robert Rohde написа:
> The terms of use for editors will require that editors accept linking
> as sufficient attribution; however, the instructions for re-users will

Why do the terms require that, when this is in collision with actual licences?

> explicitly say that this is only one form of possible attribution and
> highlight more permanent forms of attribution, such as creating author
> lists. I would expect that book publishers and other concerned with
> permanence would choose a more permanent format.

Why do you expect them to do that, when it is not required of them, and it is
easier for them to not do it?

> In the attribution survey of 1000+ editors in March, attribution by
> link was the most popular option (though certainly not universally
> accepted). Given that, I would expect that most text contributors

The survey was fundamentally flawed, having questions that were biased
strongly in favor of this outcome. As such, its results are worthless, and
you really shouldn't present it as valid.

> will happily continue editing, and it won't lead to "the end of
> Wikimedia projects" as you suggest, even though some individuals may
> choose to stop contributing.

Translation: "Given that most people are willing to tolerate our ludicrous
decisions, we should continue to be make more ludicrous decisions."

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
2009/6/15 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> The WMF hosted version is considered a stable copy - it's safe to link to
> and you have every reasonable assumption that it will continue to exist.

The project as a whole to an extent. Individual articles not
really.Their habit of being moved merged deleted or otherwise messed
with means that they can hardly be considered stable.

--
geni

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
> Дана Monday 15 June 2009 20:24:39 Robert Rohde написа:
>> The terms of use for editors will require that editors accept linking
>> as sufficient attribution; however, the instructions for re-users will

> Why do the terms require that, when this is in collision with actual licences?

For reference, I've summarized our position on this point here:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050953.html

Of course we're not going to re-open this discussion. The revised
terms will be implemented on all applicable sites in the coming days,
beginning today.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM, geni<geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/15 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
>> The WMF hosted version is considered a stable copy - it's safe to link to
>> and you have every reasonable assumption that it will continue to exist.
>
> The project as a whole to an extent. Individual articles not
> really.Their habit of being moved merged deleted or otherwise messed
> with means that they can hardly be considered stable.
>

> --
> geni

Very true! Plain and simple: URLs on the internet are horribly
unstable and make for terribly inaccurate attribution. Cool URLs
may not change[1], but I think the majority of the internet missed
the memo and are content using non-cool URLs :)

-Chad

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
There is only one way to cite a Wikipedia article with a reasonable chance
of success and that is by referring to the permalink.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Gerard
Meijssen<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> There is only one way to cite a Wikipedia article with a reasonable chance
> of success and that is by referring to the permalink.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM

Which of course renders the historical wikicode through the current
parser with current templates, current stylesheets, current image
versions, etc., etc. ;-)

-Robert Rohde

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia&action=history

"We're sorry, access to *
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia&action=history* has been
blocked by the site owner via robots.txt. "
Smart..

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Дана Monday 15 June 2009 21:09:36 Erik Moeller написа:
> 2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
> > Дана Monday 15 June 2009 20:24:39 Robert Rohde написа:
> >> The terms of use for editors will require that editors accept linking
> >> as sufficient attribution; however, the instructions for re-users will
> >
> > Why do the terms require that, when this is in collision with actual
> > licences?
>
> For reference, I've summarized our position on this point here:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050953.html
>
> Of course we're not going to re-open this discussion. The revised

The discussion was closed?

> terms will be implemented on all applicable sites in the coming days,
> beginning today.

I, for one, have written a piece of javascript that removes disputed text from
the page before I contribute.

And for Christ's sake, why such arrogance in wording this? "you hereby agree
that such credit is sufficient in any medium" - no I most certainly do not!
You could have at very least have decency to say "you agree to be credited in
this way" - still not ideal but at least you don't require of people to agree
that black is whit.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
You are misinterpreting me. I do not want the re-users should include the list
of authors. I want we fully accept conditions of CC-BY-SA which guarantees
the work will stay free even when everything else collapses.

No, the work itself is not the only important thing. Also the way how rights
of authors are treated and the fact the work will stay free for ever are
important. There is no way how to separate these three things. If you think
otherwise, you did not understand CC-BY-SA.

By choosing a free license, the WMF accepted that its goal is not just
providing works but also keeping these works free and caring about the
minimal rights of authors.

The fact that the chosen license demands a proper attribution was one of the
major reasons of Wikimedia projects' success. Even when so strange license as
GFDL was chosen.

BTW: This policy will not be acceptable for most of the articles because they
are already created and all their current authors would have to agree with it
which is unlikely. I have to ask: Why this is comming? Will it help to make
things easier? No, it will make things only more complicated.

Jiri

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Well, either I am misinterpreting you, or you are misinterpreting the
CC-BY-SA. This is a great overview:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050953.html

That's all I have..

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Дана Monday 15 June 2009 22:02:09 Brian написа:
> Well, either I am misinterpreting you, or you are misinterpreting the
> CC-BY-SA. This is a great overview:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050953.html

Actually, I find that overview to be rather poor.

1) It says that "The "attribution by link" option was explicitly made
available to authors in CC-BY-SA 2.0", but it was only made available in
addition to the attributing the author by name, not instead of it. "Authors
also have the option to not supply an author name" but they don't actually
have to excercise that option and most people haven't done so.

2) & 3) says that "As long as authors consent to terms of use requiring
attribution by hyperlink, such attribution is consistent with moral rights.
Such consent has already been given for existing edits", however no such
consent has ever been given. To the contrary, a number of printed copies of
Wikipedia content that have already been made go to great lengths in order to
print lists of authors who wrote the texts in them.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
> I, for one, have written a piece of javascript that removes disputed text from
> the page before I contribute.

Deliberate attempts to circumvene site terms which you've clearly
understood and consulted are irrelevant to the actual terms of
release. Furthermore, they are against policy, and should be reverted
on sight.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Дана Monday 15 June 2009 22:46:44 Erik Moeller написа:
> 2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
> > I, for one, have written a piece of javascript that removes disputed text
> > from the page before I contribute.
>
> Deliberate attempts to circumvene site terms which you've clearly
> understood and consulted are irrelevant to the actual terms of
> release. Furthermore, they are against policy, and should be reverted
> on sight.

I am not circumventing site terms, my actual terms of release are those of
applicable licences.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:

> I am not circumventing site terms, my actual terms of release are those of
> applicable licences.

You've made it quite clear that you have a flawed interpretation of the
CC-BY-SA, which directly contradicts that of the legal counsel of both CC
and WMF. What's not clear is what exactly the code you've written does.
Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
2009/6/15 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> 2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
>> I, for one, have written a piece of javascript that removes disputed text from
>> the page before I contribute.
>
> Deliberate attempts to circumvene site terms which you've clearly
> understood and consulted are irrelevant to the actual terms of
> release. Furthermore, they are against policy, and should be reverted
> on sight.

No such policy exists. Are you proposing one?

--
geni

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
Дана Monday 15 June 2009 23:09:20 Brian написа:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:
> > I am not circumventing site terms, my actual terms of release are those
> > of applicable licences.
>
> You've made it quite clear that you have a flawed interpretation of the
> CC-BY-SA, which directly contradicts that of the legal counsel of both CC
> and WMF. What's not clear is what exactly the code you've written does.

No, I made it quite clear that I have a correct interpretation of CC-BY-SA,
and that your claims of having a legal counsel are bogus.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
"*Mike Godwin <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Mikegodwin>*,
General Counsel and Legal Coordinator since July 2007." (
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff) Hmm that would claim otherwise.

Mark

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
I'm not going to get into any more of a tit-for-tat with you (seriously -
its my last post), but I do not claim to have legal counsel. As you would
expect, however, both CC and WMF do. The best you could possibly hope to do
is listen to their advice since this is unlikely to ever go to
court. Additionally, if you wish to contribute to the projects you
must contribute according to the intention
and correct
interpretation of the license. A user's interpretation of the license
may or may not be in line with the correct
view. If it is not, they should not contribute. That's all I have.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
2009/6/15 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> The best you could possibly hope to do
> is listen to their advice since this is unlikely to ever go to
> court.

CC have a massive conflict of interest and public advice from Godwin
is kinda thin on the ground. Obviously we don't know the situation
with regards to private advice.

>Additionally, if you wish to contribute to the projects you
> must contribute according to the intention
> and correct
> interpretation of the license.

No. The most obvious counter example is the disclaimers mess that the
english wikipedia managed to get itself into a few years back.

> A user's interpretation of the license
> may or may not be in line with the correct
> view. If it is not, they should not contribute. That's all I have.

"Correct view" is not a good choice of terminology.

--
geni

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
äÁÎÁ Monday 15 June 2009 23:20:10 Brian ÎÁÐÉÓÁ:
> I'm not going to get into any more of a tit-for-tat with you (seriously -
> its my last post), but I do not claim to have legal counsel. As you would
> expect, however, both CC and WMF do. The best you could possibly hope to do
> is listen to their advice since this is unlikely to ever go to
> court. Additionally, if you wish to contribute to the projects you
> must contribute according to the intention
> and correct
> interpretation of the license. A user's interpretation of the license
> may or may not be in line with the correct
> view. If it is not, they should not contribute. That's all I have.

You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run a copy
of the Program. However, nothing other than this License grants you
permission to propagate or modify any covered work.

That's really all there's to it.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
äÁÎÁ Monday 15 June 2009 23:19:15 Mark (Markie) ÎÁÐÉÓÁ:
> "*Mike Godwin <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Mikegodwin>*,
> General Counsel and Legal Coordinator since July 2007." (
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff) Hmm that would claim otherwise.

I'm not aware of him having made any counsel that would permit something like
this. I might be wrong though. But at very least, I doubt that I am wrong
when I say that requiring people to "agree that such credit is sufficient" is
plain evil.

Re: Reuse policy [ In reply to ]
2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
> Дана Monday 15 June 2009 23:20:10 Brian написа:
>> I'm not going to get into any more of a tit-for-tat with you (seriously -
>> its my last post), but I do not claim to have legal counsel. As you would
>> expect, however, both CC and WMF do. The best you could possibly hope to do
>> is listen to their advice since this is unlikely to ever go to
>> court. Additionally, if you wish to contribute to the projects you
>> must contribute according to the intention
>> and correct
>> interpretation of the license. A user's interpretation of the license
>> may or may not be in line with the correct
>> view. If it is not, they should not contribute. That's all I have.
>
> You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run a copy
> of the Program. However, nothing other than this License grants you
> permission to propagate or modify any covered work.

I think we've found part of the problem: that's from the GNU GPL.
Wikipedia is licensed under the GNU FDL.

--
Mark
[[en:User:Carnildo]]