Mailing List Archive

Britannica
I can not help share this with you.

I was looking for the name "devouard" in a little tool I just discovered
today (TouchGraph).

And I was surprised to discover that the word "devouard" was highly
linked to the Hoggar plateau (Ahaggar) in Algeria. I consequently
clicked on the central point apparently refering to "devouard".

I found this page:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/9966/Ahaggar/9966rellinks/Related-Links

Yeah, that's on britannica. There is a little picture on the top left
hand side. Click on the picture.

Now, check out http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hoggar3.jpg

The resolution is rather low because these were picts taken by my
husband and he did not give me permission to upload the high res ones he
took.

But frankly, I am super pleased to find out that one of the pict I
uploaded 4 years ago are now featured in Britannica :-)

Ant

Re: Britannica [ In reply to ]
Дана Wednesday 10 June 2009 16:36:38 Florence Devouard написа:
> But frankly, I am super pleased to find out that one of the pict I
> uploaded 4 years ago are now featured in Britannica :-)

And they made a honest effort to be GFDL-compliant. I wonder how many more
such images are there.

Re: Britannica [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Nikola Smolenski<smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:
> äÁÎÁ Wednesday 10 June 2009 16:36:38 Florence Devouard ÎÁÐÉÓÁ:
>> But frankly, I am super pleased to find out that one of the pict I
>> uploaded 4 years ago are now featured in Britannica :-)
>
> And they made a honest effort to be GFDL-compliant. I wonder how many more
> such images are there.

They've been doing this since sometime last year. I first noticed it
in September:
http://ragesossscholar.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-are-your-wikimedia-commons-photos.html
(at the bottom of the post is where Britannica comes up)

I think I did a rough estimate a few months ago that Britannica had
added somewhere in the thousands to ten-thousands range of images
taken from Wikipedia or Commons (including both GFDL and CC). But
they don't provide a link back to the sources and/or userpages, so I
feel like they could do a better job of respecting the license terms.
When an image is a attributed to a hyperlinked name (as most Commons
images are), that would imply that the hyperlink ought to be part of
the attribution when it's used on the web. Maybe the Foundation
should contact them about this.

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)

Re: Britannica [ In reply to ]
2009/6/10 Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:
> I can not help share this with you.
>
> I was looking for the name "devouard" in a little tool I just discovered
> today (TouchGraph).
>
> And I was surprised to discover that the word "devouard" was highly
> linked to the Hoggar plateau (Ahaggar) in Algeria. I consequently
> clicked on the central point apparently refering to "devouard".
>
> I found this page:
> http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/9966/Ahaggar/9966rellinks/Related-Links
>
> Yeah, that's on britannica. There is a little picture on the top left
> hand side. Click on the picture.
>
> Now, check out http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hoggar3.jpg
>
> The resolution is rather low because these were picts taken by my
> husband and he did not give me permission to upload the high res ones he
> took.
>
> But frankly, I am super pleased to find out that one of the pict I
> uploaded 4 years ago are now featured in Britannica :-)
>
> Ant

The resolution isn't something they seem too worried about. If you
click the see full size on

http://cache.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-art/582651/116920/Pewter-tankard

It's well below the 2,349 × 2,728 image on commons:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pewter_Tankard.jpg

--
geni