Mailing List Archive

Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2
Hello,

I wasn't subscribed to this list, since I usually try to avoid the
politics around.

I was notified, however, that some interesting claims were made and
some steps taken (again) without any discussion whatsoever.

First, let me tell it here again - as I have told it on a different
list - that I am extremely disappointed by the lack of discussion
before someone from outside seriously interfere with other project
based on, as it turns out, incorrect informations. In the past people
with privileges (if we ever considered them that way instead of people
with work to be done) were more cautious. I would like you all
fast-handed guys to slow down and talk first, get informed, and act
later.

I already commented elsewhere on vls, in summary I miss the discussion
and I do not believe the case actually breached any privacy, but this
isn't my concern now (as I'm in a bit of hurry).

Regarding huwp, it would have been pretty easy to find out who to ask.
Apart from the obvious choice of "anyone with any flags on huwp", it
could've been easy to identify who made the changes, and ask them.
Like, for example me.

As far as I see, lots of wasted energies go around, like people
planning how to block javascript, how to block counters, etc. It is
the wrong way. The good way is, and I'm repeating myself again, is
FIRST to get to know WHY these scripts are there in the first hand,
what solution they have to solve. This is a crucial step, fellows,
which you neglected to take. (And we all know that the reason is to
create usage stats.)

Next step should be examining whether there is anything this violates,
like, Privacy Policy. In the case of Google this is debateable, since
I don't know what is the scope of the data retention.

However I completely do know about the Hungarian stats. Let me share
the real information here, briefly, since I have to go soon, but I do
not want to let you destroy something you're not aware of.

The stats (which have, by surprise, a dedicated domain under th hu
wikipedia domain) runs on a dedicated server, with nothing else on it.
Its sole purpose to gather and publish the stats. Basically nobody
have permission to log in the servers but me, and I since I happen to
be checkuser as well it wouldn't even be ntertaining to read it, even
if it wasn't big enough making this useless. I happen to be the one
who have created the Hungarian checkuser policy, which is, as far as I
know, the strictest one in WMF projects, and it's no joke, and I
intend to follow it. (And those who are unfamiliar with me, I happen
to be the founder of huwp as well, apart from my job in computer
security.)

If you would have gathered this knowledge (which means that the server
is closed and run by an identified user to WMF), then you could have
started the discussion.

As it is obvious, don't make any interfering moves while discussing it
for days, or even weeks, wouldn't change anything.

What have you achieved with removing the code? You killed our stats,
which provides us with the statistics originally WMF provided (same
data content), but later killed off.

We'll propose (huwp) some solutions on the problem, but I'll really
have to go now. Tgr can help discussing it, and I'll thank him for his
help in advance. :-)

So, think about these in the weekend, I'm back on monday. I hop there
can be an _useful_ discussion, with thinking people and not people
acting on impulses.

Peter Gervai
Hungary

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
I can understand your frustration, Peter, but perhaps hu.wp could also have
taken a more collaborative approach. If you would like to use a method for
collecting statistics that others will view as violating the privacy policy,
or as presenting risks normally not considered throughout the rest of the
Wikimedia community of projects, then you should propose your method for
consideration prior to simply implementing it. As you note ("some steps
taken (again)") this has happened before, so some consultation with the rest
of the community before going out on a limb is advised.

Others have since discussed more centralised and secure methods for
providing these statistics via the WMF - this is the ideal outcome, and one
that might have been achieved earlier had you proposed your method rather
than simply going ahead alone.

Nathan
Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
I'd like to note in the interest of facts that the Huwp stats have been
implemented (without complaint till now, June 2009) since October 2006; the
current version of the privacy policy has been available in English since
October 2008.

I think it might not be very productive to judge the action of implementing
a stats engine in light of a privacy policy that has been adopted later than
the action was performed nor might it be fruitful to shift blame for not
discussing something three years ago (which could even have been discussed
in some way).
Best regards,
Bence Damokos

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
2009/6/5 Peter Gervai <grinapo@gmail.com>

> <snip>
> The stats (which have, by surprise, a dedicated domain under th hu
> wikipedia domain) runs on a dedicated server, with nothing else on it.
> Its sole purpose to gather and publish the stats. Basically nobody
> have permission to log in the servers but me, and I since I happen to
> be checkuser as well it wouldn't even be ntertaining to read it, even
> if it wasn't big enough making this useless. I happen to be the one
> who have created the Hungarian checkuser policy, which is, as far as I
> know, the strictest one in WMF projects, and it's no joke, and I
> intend to follow it. (And those who are unfamiliar with me, I happen
> to be the founder of huwp as well, apart from my job in computer
> security.)
> <snip>

Just a remark on the checkuser argument. Checkuser actions and checks are
logged, and can be double checked by other checkusers and stewards. This
server can not. I can imagine that this would pose a problem.

eia
Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
effe iets anders wrote:
> 2009/6/5 Peter Gervai <grinapo@gmail.com>
>
>> <snip>
>> The stats (which have, by surprise, a dedicated domain under th hu
>> wikipedia domain) runs on a dedicated server, with nothing else on it.
>> Its sole purpose to gather and publish the stats. Basically nobody
>> have permission to log in the servers but me, and I since I happen to
>> be checkuser as well it wouldn't even be ntertaining to read it, even
>> if it wasn't big enough making this useless. I happen to be the one
>> who have created the Hungarian checkuser policy, which is, as far as I
>> know, the strictest one in WMF projects, and it's no joke, and I
>> intend to follow it. (And those who are unfamiliar with me, I happen
>> to be the founder of huwp as well, apart from my job in computer
>> security.)
>> <snip>
>>

> Just a remark on the checkuser argument. Checkuser actions and checks are
> logged, and can be double checked by other checkusers and stewards. This
> server can not. I can imagine that this would pose a problem.

Checkuser also only stores the data for a known period of time (3
months) and, with the fairly recent exception of user->user email, only
records actions that are publicly logged by MediaWiki (edits and other
logged actions), not individual pageviews.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Mark (Markie) wrote:
> I still fail to see how, at this point (not before when there was no policy)
> this can be considered to be acceptable.
As I understand it, nobody is arguing that it's considered acceptable at
this point. People involved in the Hungarian Wikipedia have been
explaining the background, trying to establish that they shouldn't be
blamed for having this in place. That's understandable as well, and I
have no interest in seeing blame attached to anyone here. Let's just
make sure these external trackers are removed, and that we work on our
internal resources to collect information in a way consistent with the
privacy policy.

--Michael Snow

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Apologies for this, I'm getting confused between multiple threads on this.
Regards

Mark

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Michael Snow<wikipedia@verizon.net> wrote:
> As I understand it, nobody is arguing that it's considered acceptable at
> this point.

Peter Gervai seemed to argue exactly that, unless I badly misread him:

> someone from outside seriously interfere with other project
> based on, as it turns out, incorrect informations. . . .
>
> . . . I do not believe the case actually breached any privacy . . .

And so did Tisza Gergő:

> More importantly, the privacy policy explicitly states that developers might
> have access to the raw logs. The stat is thus in compliance with the letter of
> the privacy policy, and I don't see why it would be countrary of its spirit.

The privacy policy clearly prohibits "release" of data to outside
sources for the purpose of statistical analysis, since that doesn't
fall within the six enumerated points under "Release: Policy on
Release of Data". I suppose it's arguable by the letter of the policy
that sending the data to a server which only a single Wikipedian has
access to isn't "release". However, I think it's clear that the
intent of the policy was otherwise, and Domas acted in accordance with
established policy and with full understanding of the nature of the
script he was removing.

It might be worth defining "release" more clearly to avoid any
confusion in the future. Would it have been any different if it was
being sent to the toolserver instead of a totally third-party server,
for instance? I'd think not, but it's not fully clear from reading
the policy. How about a checkuser downloading some data to his
computer for analysis beyond that permitted by the web-based
interface? Why is that not release if downloading it to a server is?
Does that depend on the amount, intent, or some other purpose? (Or is
it release? If so, why is it different from downloading web pages so
you can view them in your browser?)

Also, there are multiple places where the policy vaguely and
redundantly states that logs will not be publicized, in multiple ways:
"is not made public", "will not be published", "is not reproduced
publicly". In general, there's a lot of repetition that makes the
policy hard to draw firm conclusions from. If you just saw those
mentions, you might think it was just fine to reproduce it as long as
it wasn't actually *public*. It could use more precise and condensed
wording.

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Michael Snow <wikipedia@...> writes:
> As I understand it, nobody is arguing that it's considered acceptable at
> this point. People involved in the Hungarian Wikipedia have been
> explaining the background, trying to establish that they shouldn't be
> blamed for having this in place. That's understandable as well, and I
> have no interest in seeing blame attached to anyone here. Let's just
> make sure these external trackers are removed, and that we work on our
> internal resources to collect information in a way consistent with the
> privacy policy.

I do argue that it is not in violation of the privacy policy (whether the people
here find it acceptable is another question). The privacy policy and the
nonpublic access policy together place a very clear limit on the distribution of
personally identifiable data: it can never be passed to anyone who has not
identified himself to the WMF. We respected that limit; and I don't see any
stricter one in the policy. (I don't think it would be even reasonable to have
one; Simetrical already gave the arguments I intended to use.)

At any rate, the tracker has already been disabled by Domas, and obviously we
don't intend to switch it back without reaching consensus here.

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Tisza Gergő<gtisza@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do argue that it is not in violation of the privacy policy (whether the people
> here find it acceptable is another question).

It may be within the letter of the privacy policy. I think that's
entirely arguable, since the policy is so vague. However, it's very
clearly against the *intent* of the privacy policy as dictated by the
Board. Domas Mitzuas and Michael Snow are both Board members and have
both made it clear that they think there's no question that the script
in question violated the privacy policy.

I believe the major problems with the script are

1) It sent data to a server not directly controlled by the Wikimedia
Foundation. No personally identifiable information should be sent in
bulk to any non-Wikimedia server. Operation of any server hosting
significant amounts of sensitive information must be directly and
immediately accountable to Wikimedia's normal chain of command.

2) This use of data was not specifically authorized by the Wikimedia
Foundation, via either the Board or appropriate officers. Peter may
be a checkuser, but that gives him authorization only to use checkuser
functions, not to collect or harvest other types of data. As has been
noted, the data collected includes much more than checkusers can
access in the course of using their checkuser rights.

Neither of these points is made clear in the written privacy policy,
however, if they are in fact intended.

Last I heard, Erik Zachte is working on improved statistics for all
Wikimedia projects. These are running on Wikimedia servers and
specifically approved by Wikimedia. It seems like the best course of
action would be for people to point out what they think is lacking in
his statistics, and perhaps offer to help improve them.

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Tisza Gergő <gtisza@...> writes:
> I do argue that it is not in violation of the privacy policy (whether
> the people here find it acceptable is another question).

Just to make it clear, I don't think accordance with the privacy policy
automatically entitles one to do something. The PP is a minimum set of
requirements strong enough to assure users and weak enough to not hinder
ourselves (as it is difficult to change it); if something is permitted by the
policy, but the WMF or the developers or the relevant community is against it,
then it will not be done. So instead of talking about the privacy policy (which
would be routinely violated if spread of IP data to non-WMF-owned servers would
indeed be a violation - consider WikiMiniAtlas, for example) it would be more
productive to talk about whether such a use is acceptable, and if not, what can
be done to make it so. (For example, would it help if WM-HU took ownership? We
could also write a complementary privacy policy for it, stating that it will
never be used for any other reason than statistics, who has access, how long the
raw logs are kept etc.)

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Michael Snow<wikipedia@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, nobody is arguing that it's considered acceptable at
>> this point.
>>
> Peter Gervai seemed to argue exactly that, unless I badly misread him:
>

> And so did Tisza Gergő:

Maybe it's just the lawyer in me, but I read those comments primarily as
a defense against a perceived "prosecution" for allegedly violating the
privacy policy. Not, and this is the distinction I was trying to get at,
as positive arguments that this particular approach should be accepted
going forward.
> I suppose it's arguable by the letter of the policy
> that sending the data to a server which only a single Wikipedian has
> access to isn't "release". However, I think it's clear that the
> intent of the policy was otherwise, and Domas acted in accordance with
> established policy and with full understanding of the nature of the
> script he was removing.

I agree that regardless of whether there was a technical policy
violation, the setup was problematic, and I trust Domas's judgment in
addressing the situation.
> Also, there are multiple places where the policy vaguely and
> redundantly states that logs will not be publicized, in multiple ways:
> "is not made public", "will not be published", "is not reproduced
> publicly". In general, there's a lot of repetition that makes the
> policy hard to draw firm conclusions from. If you just saw those
> mentions, you might think it was just fine to reproduce it as long as
> it wasn't actually *public*. It could use more precise and condensed
> wording.

Policies being what they are, at some level it must state principles and
will not be able to anticipate every single case. Implementation then
depends on people exercising judgment when those cases arise. Some of
the redundancy is possibly for emphasis, or out of an abundance of
caution, so that people don't think an exception arises when something
is not explicitly stated. That being said, suggestions for particular
improvements are always welcome.

--Michael Snow

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Just a few sidenotes now.

2009/6/5 Mark (Markie) <newsmarkie@googlemail.com>:

> There are a few issues with this.  Devs have access to logs on WMF servers,
> not random external servers.

This is a good suggestion, basically you say that I should request the
foundation to provide me a server inside WMF with developer access. I
don't mind that (as long as it have Debian installed).

This is a good (though a bit expensive) _temporary_ solution, since it
only serves huwp. It is not impossible to provide service to other
projects but definitely not for any wp above huwp size, since the
current solution is a hack and do not scale. (And I could process
squid logs, naturally, which is a better way to do it.)

Final solution would be to create either a modified awstats to handle
the stuff better or to write custom code to make it. I don't really
have the time to do these just right now.

> The community cannot decide that Random_user1
> and Random_user2 etc will agree with the communities view on the stats being
> passed to an external server.

As you are aware it's not really random user, so what you write is
more rhetoric and less facts. I debate your statement as I believe the
community can pretty much decide anything unless it violates some
higher level policy, and it's been told this predates the PP. And I
tend to disagree in its violation, but it's an open debate.

>  Also there *may* be issues with the security
> of that server that means it could be compromised and could probably be
> accessed by the web hosting company if they so wished.

Sure, but I happen to be the web hosting company as well. You are
guessing instead of trying to get informed, as others do around. As I
told you the only person accessing the site is myself. And
security-wise there is no 100% security, and it's well possible that
wikimedia servers tunnel all the data to the chinese secret service.
You may trust me to know my job as well. :-)

> I still fail to see how, at this point (not before when there was no policy)
> this can be considered to be acceptable.  IP information etc is still being
[...]

Let me help.

> Release: Policy on Release of Data
>
> It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data collected in
> the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
> feature, or through other non-publicly-available methods, may be released by
> Wikimedia volunteers or staff, in any of the following situations:

It is not the server log, it is not database records, and it is not
other non-publicly-available method by the staff. So the data was not
released by the staff to us. (And we not happened to steal it from
them either.) This complies with the policy.

Now, let's see that volunteer part. We're volunteers, and some can
debate that we are using a non-publicly-available method (even if the
original intent was, in my opinion, clearly to cover methods used on
the WMF servers, and _not_ covering this); in this case the policy
requires us (the volunteers) not to release the identifiable data. And
we comply, since we do not release any personally identifiable data.

Do you see now?

> Except as described above, Wikimedia policy does not permit distribution of
> personally identifiable information under any circumstances.

And it's great that you quoted that, since it shows nicely that we
comply here as well since we do not distribute p.i.i. under any
circumstances.

But we - as huwp - don't stick to this server, as I mentioned, and I'd
gladly put it up on WMF servers, even if this do not really mean or
change anything. But I find it unacceptable that anyone kill off the
stats which was running for plenty of years now, without even trying
to look around. I see that it's pretty easy, since neither of you use
it, it's somebody else's problem. Try to see for a moment like it's
not.

And since it was okay for the past 5 years I'd be glad if you would
continue the discussion WHILE reverting your changes. I don't believe
a few days would make a difference.

And another sidenote: if a newspaper makes a few false statements,
what is the correct way of actions? Telling them [kindly] that they're
stupid or interfering with your own projects and fellow editors? And
which is the easier?

Peter

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
This argument - which is effectively that community members should be
considered Wikimedia Foundation staff members - is very brittle. It is
neither sound nor valid. Do yourself a favor and consider the logic of the
other side. It will save you from confusion later when you realize that you
were the only person who didn't see it earlier.

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Peter Gervai<grinapo@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> The community cannot decide that Random_user1
>> and Random_user2 etc will agree with the communities view on the stats being
>> passed to an external server.
>
> As you are aware it's not really random user, so what you write is
> more rhetoric and less facts. I debate your statement as I believe the
> community can pretty much decide anything unless it violates some
> higher level policy, and it's been told this predates the PP. And I
> tend to disagree in its violation, but it's an open debate.
<snip>

The wording of Privacy Policy has always been rather vague and mushy
(something I've complained about in the past).

However the spirit of the policy, and the way it has been applied,
might be summarized thusly:

Personally identifiable data does not leave the WMF's control without
the WMF's express permission. In general, the circumstances where
people have access to such data and the purposes for which they can
use it are explicitly defined in advance.

You may not be aware, but the relaying of page view data to third
party analysis platforms has been tried on a number of occasions in
the past and consistently shutdown. (I think this even includes cases
before the Privacy Policy was adopted.)

However, to my recollection there has never been a case that quite
mirrors yours since we are talking about a privately hosted server
administered by a highly trusted community member.

Given the situation with Wikimedia DE and the toolserver cluster etc.,
I think it should be possible in principle for the WMF to reach an
agreement that allows data to be communicated to servers operated by
Wikimedia chapters for purposes that benefit Wikimedia. In light of
current sentiment and Foundation practice though, I think that any
such arrangements should require prior approval. That your set up has
existed for years can provide some confidence in its reasonableness
and security, but I wouldn't support turning it back on until people
have looked at and reviewed the details though.

Sorry for the abrupt way that things were handled, but erring on the
side of protecting user privacy is generally a good thing. Now that
you are here discussing the matter, I'd hope a reasonable solution can
be found.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Tisza Gergõ<gtisza@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tisza Gergõ <gtisza@...> writes:
>> I do argue that it is not in violation of the privacy policy (whether
>> the people here find it acceptable is another question).
>
> Just to make it clear, I don't think accordance with the privacy policy
> automatically entitles one to do something. The PP is a minimum set of
> requirements strong enough to assure users and weak enough to not hinder
> ourselves (as it is difficult to change it); if something is permitted by the
> policy, but the WMF or the developers or the relevant community is against it,
> then it will not be done.

That's a reasonable view.

> So instead of talking about the privacy policy (which
> would be routinely violated if spread of IP data to non-WMF-owned servers would
> indeed be a violation - consider WikiMiniAtlas, for example) it would be more
> productive to talk about whether such a use is acceptable, and if not, what can
> be done to make it so.

Agreed. This is a matter of a local project wanting to maintain a
long-standing feature or service without adverseley affecting anyone,
violating shared meta-community norms, or having to wait for
bottlenecks in centralized implementation. It is very wiki to want to
find ways to fix things yourself.

> (For example, would it help if WM-HU took ownership? We
> could also write a complementary privacy policy for it, stating that it will
> never be used for any other reason than statistics, who has access, how long the
> raw logs are kept etc.)

Perhaps other messages in this thread will shed light here... I hear
people outside of hu:wp expressing a desire to centralize and maintain
a bottleneck for the simple reason that a bottleneck is easier to
police.

SJ

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
Michael Snow writes:
> Maybe it's just the lawyer in me, but I read those comments primarily as
> a defense against a perceived "prosecution" for allegedly violating the
> privacy policy.

I don't read them that way - rather as saying "This isn't clearly in
violation; it has been working for a long time and has been publicly
discussed before, ending in [default] acceptance; we weren't given any
notice. What gives?"

Brian<Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> writes:
> This argument - which is effectively that community members should be
> considered Wikimedia Foundation staff members - is very brittle. It is
> neither sound nor valid. Do yourself a favor and consider the logic of the
> other side. It will save you from confusion later when you realize that you
> were the only person who didn't see it earlier.

Peter said that he could run whatever was being done on an external
server on a WMF machine that [core] developers have access to. What
does this have to do with being Foundation staff?

Peter Gervai writes:
> But we - as huwp - don't stick to this server, as I mentioned, and I'd
> gladly put it up on WMF servers, even if this do not really mean or
> change anything. But I find it unacceptable that anyone kill off the
> stats which was running for plenty of years now, without even trying
> to look around. I see that it's pretty easy, since neither of you use
> it, it's somebody else's problem. Try to see for a moment like it's
> not.
>
> And since it was okay for the past 5 years I'd be glad if you would
> continue the discussion WHILE reverting your changes. I don't believe
> a few days would make a difference.

This seems like the heart of the matter. It sounds as though hu:wp
wants to find a way to continue having access to stats; are happy to
make this happen in a way that other devs are comfortable with (and
willing to help), but feel slighted.

Robert Rhode writes:
> Sorry for the abrupt way that things were handled, but erring on the
> side of protecting user privacy is generally a good thing. Now that
> you are here discussing the matter, I'd hope a reasonable solution can
> be found.

You said it. While f-l isn't the place to find a technical solution
(though this thread looks promising -
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2009-June/043335.html),
it may be the right place to discuss how to foreshadow and discuss
changes that address the power balance between local and global
projects. I can imagine similar changes resulting from adding a
global wikimedia policy that is known to contradict policies on a few
mid-sized wikis, and then instantly implementing the result.

[.Peter: would you have considered a mention on this list notice? on
wikitech? on hu:wp?]

SJ

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter said that he could run whatever was being done on an external
> server on a WMF machine that [core] developers have access to. What
> does this have to do with being Foundation staff?

He is trying rationalize his previous behavior by stating that he thinks any
random admin on one of the projects should be able to insert a web bug into
Common.js that logs user data to a non foundation server.

I'm not sure what keywords to use but I seem to recall this issue coming up
a couple of years ago (this exact case). At any rate it seems that he was
aware of the controversy from the beginning.
Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
I don't think that "any random admin on one of the projects should be able
to insert a web bug into
Common.js" is what he suggests. The Hungarian situation seems to have been
in place with support of the hungarian community, at least at start.

Frankly, I'd rather see private sensitive data on an external server ran by
a couple of wiki volunteers, than on an external server ran by a contracted
3rd party supplier.

i wish you well,
teun

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Peter Gervai <grinapo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a few sidenotes now.
>
> 2009/6/5 Mark (Markie) <newsmarkie@googlemail.com>:
>
> > There are a few issues with this. Devs have access to logs on WMF
> servers,
> > not random external servers.
>
> This is a good suggestion, basically you say that I should request the
> foundation to provide me a server inside WMF with developer access. I
> don't mind that (as long as it have Debian installed).
>
> This is a good (though a bit expensive) _temporary_ solution, since it
> only serves huwp. It is not impossible to provide service to other
> projects but definitely not for any wp above huwp size, since the
> current solution is a hack and do not scale. (And I could process
> squid logs, naturally, which is a better way to do it.)
>
> Final solution would be to create either a modified awstats to handle
> the stuff better or to write custom code to make it. I don't really
> have the time to do these just right now.

there are already some stats servers in use. what would be better would be
to work with the WMF to get the stats program upto the level that you want,
not to do temporary solutions

> > The community cannot decide that Random_user1
> > and Random_user2 etc will agree with the communities view on the stats
> being
> > passed to an external server.
>
> As you are aware it's not really random user, so what you write is
> more rhetoric and less facts. I debate your statement as I believe the
> community can pretty much decide anything unless it violates some
> higher level policy, and it's been told this predates the PP. And I
> tend to disagree in its violation, but it's an open debate.

it is a random user. think of someone whos googled something, or randomly
followed a wikipedia link, if its their first time there then they may or
may not agree with having their data shared. thus they are a random user in
terms that they have not voted.

> > Also there *may* be issues with the security
> > of that server that means it could be compromised and could probably be
> > accessed by the web hosting company if they so wished.
>
> Sure, but I happen to be the web hosting company as well. You are
> guessing instead of trying to get informed, as others do around. As I
> told you the only person accessing the site is myself. And
> security-wise there is no 100% security, and it's well possible that
> wikimedia servers tunnel all the data to the chinese secret service.
> You may trust me to know my job as well. :-)
>
> > I still fail to see how, at this point (not before when there was no
> policy)
> > this can be considered to be acceptable. IP information etc is still
> being
> [...]
>
> Let me help.
>
> > Release: Policy on Release of Data
> >
> > It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data collected
> in
> > the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
> > feature, or through other non-publicly-available methods, may be released
> by
> > Wikimedia volunteers or staff, in any of the following situations:
>
> It is not the server log, it is not database records, and it is not
> other non-publicly-available method by the staff. So the data was not
> released by the staff to us. (And we not happened to steal it from
> them either.) This complies with the policy.

are you saying that page view data is publically available, you are telling
me that a record of what i look at on wikipedia is available somewhere
already? you are effectively making your own logs of what i do.

> Now, let's see that volunteer part. We're volunteers, and some can
> debate that we are using a non-publicly-available method (even if the
> original intent was, in my opinion, clearly to cover methods used on
> the WMF servers, and _not_ covering this); in this case the policy
> requires us (the volunteers) not to release the identifiable data. And
> we comply, since we do not release any personally identifiable data.
>
> Do you see now?

no, i see you as releasing data to a third party server, i dont particularly
care who its run by.

> > Except as described above, Wikimedia policy does not permit distribution
> of
> > personally identifiable information under any circumstances.
>
> And it's great that you quoted that, since it shows nicely that we
> comply here as well since we do not distribute p.i.i. under any
> circumstances.

again this depends on your view of distribution

> But we - as huwp - don't stick to this server, as I mentioned, and I'd
> gladly put it up on WMF servers, even if this do not really mean or
> change anything. But I find it unacceptable that anyone kill off the
> stats which was running for plenty of years now, without even trying
> to look around. I see that it's pretty easy, since neither of you use
> it, it's somebody else's problem. Try to see for a moment like it's
> not.

are you saying that as long as a problem has been around for a long time its
not a problem any more? it seems to me that you think that because your
stats were in place before the new policy you seem to think that they are
still okay?

> And since it was okay for the past 5 years I'd be glad if you would
> continue the discussion WHILE reverting your changes. I don't believe
> a few days would make a difference.

it does, it should have been removed as soon as the policy was introduced,
or as soon as it was noticed. we should always fall to the side of caution
especially in terms of privacy.

> And another sidenote: if a newspaper makes a few false statements,
> what is the correct way of actions? Telling them [kindly] that they're
> stupid or interfering with your own projects and fellow editors? And
> which is the easier?

this is a wiki, therefore if someone spots something wrong they can change
it, this still applies to stuff in the mediawiki name space, especially when
the people concerned are on the board and a senior/experienced member of the
tech team.

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Peter Gervai<grinapo@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >> The community cannot decide that Random_user1
> >> and Random_user2 etc will agree with the communities view on the stats
> being
> >> passed to an external server.
> >
> > As you are aware it's not really random user, so what you write is
> > more rhetoric and less facts. I debate your statement as I believe the
> > community can pretty much decide anything unless it violates some
> > higher level policy, and it's been told this predates the PP. And I
> > tend to disagree in its violation, but it's an open debate.
> <snip>
>
> The wording of Privacy Policy has always been rather vague and mushy
> (something I've complained about in the past).
>
> However the spirit of the policy, and the way it has been applied,
> might be summarized thusly:
>
> Personally identifiable data does not leave the WMF's control without
> the WMF's express permission. In general, the circumstances where
> people have access to such data and the purposes for which they can
> use it are explicitly defined in advance.
>
> You may not be aware, but the relaying of page view data to third
> party analysis platforms has been tried on a number of occasions in
> the past and consistently shutdown. (I think this even includes cases
> before the Privacy Policy was adopted.)
>
> However, to my recollection there has never been a case that quite
> mirrors yours since we are talking about a privately hosted server
> administered by a highly trusted community member.
>
> Given the situation with Wikimedia DE and the toolserver cluster etc.,
> I think it should be possible in principle for the WMF to reach an
> agreement that allows data to be communicated to servers operated by
> Wikimedia chapters for purposes that benefit Wikimedia. In light of
> current sentiment and Foundation practice though, I think that any
> such arrangements should require prior approval. That your set up has
> existed for years can provide some confidence in its reasonableness
> and security, but I wouldn't support turning it back on until people
> have looked at and reviewed the details though.
>
> Sorry for the abrupt way that things were handled, but erring on the
> side of protecting user privacy is generally a good thing. Now that
> you are here discussing the matter, I'd hope a reasonable solution can
> be found.

this is an idea i would wholey support, please dont think im against the
whole idea of stats, all i'm arguing against here is your current
interpretation of the privacy policy. if you were to sign an agreement with
the wmf about this then i would support these stats and be very interested
in what they provide and can be adapted to do.

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
I also have not seen a clear explanation of what those who would like to
generate statistics using web bugs plan to do with that data. How do they
plan to use the data, and why aren't the plethora of statistics now made
officially available by the WMF not satisfactory?

You have bypassed the correct procedure. The amount of time that it takes
the WMF to accomplish goals can be frustrating. Getting them to make your
goal their goal can be frustrating. But it all has to start with you
presenting them with a coherent goal that takes all the constraints into
account. Then you need to get WMF approval which often involves getting
community approval.

Let's be clear that the privacy policy is a legal issue for the WMF.
Volunteer admins cannot take user privacy into their own hands, under their
own interpretation. That's just not how it works!

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
* clap - clap *
John

Re: Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2 [ In reply to ]
You can make claims about what you yourself wants or believe, but do
*not* claim that your personal beliefs reflects legal issues for
Foundation. If Foundation needs to make claims about what is and whats
not a legal issue, then such claims should be made by Mike.

John