Mailing List Archive

Comparison of Wikipedia in Norsk (Bokmål) and Store Norske Leksikon
Sunday 31th of May the Norwegian newspaper VG (Verdens Gang) compared
Wikipedia in Norsk (Bokmål) and Store Norske Leksikon. The latter
encyclopedia is a large traditional paper lexicon transfered to a web
portal, together with to other lexicons; one medical and health lexicon
and one biographical lexicon. SNL has transfered from a closed licensing
model to an open licensing model, and also open up for outside
contributions.

The roundup focused on five different areas; history, culture,
entertainment, society and politics, and sport. The grades goes from 1
to 6, with 6 as the best.

History: Wp 5 - SNL 5
(Det norske arbeiderparti, Andre verdenskrig, Vikinger, Vikingtid)

Culture: Wp 4 - SNL 3
(Edvard Munch, Henrik Ibsen, Leif Ove Andsnes, Hjalmar Borgström,
Ungdommens kulturmønstring)

Entertainment: Wp 5 - SNL 2
(Melodi Grand Prix, Harald Eia, Tone Damli Aaberget, Nytt på nytt,
Alexander Rybak, Idol, Wenche Foss, Sivert Høyem)

Society and politics: Wp 5 - SNL 3
(Kristin Halvorsen, AUF-skandalen, Rødt, Saera Khan)

Sport: Wp 5 - SNL 3
(Marit Breivik, Tore André Flo, Tore Reginiussen, Kjetil André Aamodt,
Fotball-VM

The comparison seems to have a slight bias because there are two much
articles about persons and events fairly close to present time.
Wikipedia is much better on that kind of articles compared to more
classical lexicon articles, where it can be assumed that SNL would be
somewhat better.

John

Re: Comparison of Wikipedia in Norsk (Bokmål) and Store Norske Leksikon [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the information, John, do you have a link I can refer to when
I quote that?
Kind regards
Ziko

2009/6/1 John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no>

> Sunday 31th of May the Norwegian newspaper VG (Verdens Gang) compared
> Wikipedia in Norsk (Bokmål) and Store Norske Leksikon. The latter
> encyclopedia is a large traditional paper lexicon transfered to a web
> portal, together with to other lexicons; one medical and health lexicon
> and one biographical lexicon. SNL has transfered from a closed licensing
> model to an open licensing model, and also open up for outside
> contributions.
>
> The roundup focused on five different areas; history, culture,
> entertainment, society and politics, and sport. The grades goes from 1
> to 6, with 6 as the best.
>
> History: Wp 5 - SNL 5
> (Det norske arbeiderparti, Andre verdenskrig, Vikinger, Vikingtid)
>
> Culture: Wp 4 - SNL 3
> (Edvard Munch, Henrik Ibsen, Leif Ove Andsnes, Hjalmar Borgström,
> Ungdommens kulturmønstring)
>
> Entertainment: Wp 5 - SNL 2
> (Melodi Grand Prix, Harald Eia, Tone Damli Aaberget, Nytt på nytt,
> Alexander Rybak, Idol, Wenche Foss, Sivert Høyem)
>
> Society and politics: Wp 5 - SNL 3
> (Kristin Halvorsen, AUF-skandalen, Rødt, Saera Khan)
>
> Sport: Wp 5 - SNL 3
> (Marit Breivik, Tore André Flo, Tore Reginiussen, Kjetil André Aamodt,
> Fotball-VM
>
> The comparison seems to have a slight bias because there are two much
> articles about persons and events fairly close to present time.
> Wikipedia is much better on that kind of articles compared to more
> classical lexicon articles, where it can be assumed that SNL would be
> somewhat better.
>
> John

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde
Re: Comparison of Wikipedia in Norsk (Bokmål) and Store Norske Leksikon [ In reply to ]
To my knowledge the comparison is not published on www.vg.no, although
it is possible to buy it online.

This is the discussion at our signpost:
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tinget#VG_tester_SNL_og_Wikipedia

There are two unofficial "faximiles":
http://bayimg.com/image/laankaacf.jpg
http://bayimg.com/image/laannaacf.jpg
Linked from our signpost, well, its not what we should do...

Official pdf's can be bought at:
https://www.buyandread.com/mediaport/pages.htm?date=20090531&pub=156
It is page 24 and 25

John