Mailing List Archive

commons and freely licensed sexual imagery
g'day all,

There's an interesting deletion discussion taking place here;

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Sexuality_pearl_necklace_small.png

concerning an image of a woman with sperm on her neck. To my mind it's very
doubtful that this is in fact a freely licensed image, but regardless of my
cynicism, the IP who nominated the image for deletion (the 5th time it's
been nominated, and the 4th time was by me, in December) raised the
possibility that we (both commons, wikipedia, and perhaps by extension all
wmf projects) might be better to opt for drawings rather than photographs of
sexual activity?

I'm sure many are familiar with my view that the foundation is an acutely
irresponsible host in this area (I'm not a fan, for example, of the pictures
taken of topless women on beaches without their permission which commons
currently hosts) - but wonder what the feeling is out there in regard to
freely licensed images of people having sex - we've currently got quite a
few on commons, and it's likely to be a growth area. There's a dirty pun in
there somewhere, but I can't be bothered to make it......

cheers,

Peter
PM.
Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery [ In reply to ]
This is not a photograph of sexual activity , but the after-effects of
sexual activity. A photograph is clearer about the nature of it than
any drawing could be.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery [ In reply to ]
W dniu 14.05.2009 06:03, private musings pisze:
> g'day all,
>
> There's an interesting deletion discussion taking place here;
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Sexuality_pearl_necklace_small.png
>
> concerning an image of a woman with sperm on her neck. To my mind it's very
> doubtful that this is in fact a freely licensed image,

Is there a licence?
Can you confirm it?

if not delete, i yes keep

that's so simple.

masti

Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery [ In reply to ]
heh - you'd think, right? :-)

Well the issue here is that the uploader has released this image, his or her
only contribution to commons, under a CC license - but I'm afraid I think
it's reasonable to doubt the validity of this release (I think the
contributor is telling fibs).

Unfortunately, to quote the most recent commentator at the deletion
discussion "Speculation on uploader motives is not germane to this
discussion," which sort of leaves us as pig in a poke - see 5 deletion
discussions for evidence as to how a project makes the simple rather less
so....

cheers,

Peter,
PM.

Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery [ In reply to ]
W dniu 15.05.2009 00:35, private musings pisze:
> heh - you'd think, right? :-)

yes

> Well the issue here is that the uploader has released this image, his or her
> only contribution to commons, under a CC license - but I'm afraid I think
> it's reasonable to doubt the validity of this release (I think the
> contributor is telling fibs).

if he cannot validate a licence delete it. What does it have to do with
content of the picture?

> Peter,
> PM.

can you fix your quoting? I can't find my statement

masti