Mailing List Archive

Problems with the new license TOS
I found a few apparent legal problems while translating the license
update documents. Apologies if these have already been discussed to
death - I didn't follow earlier debates, and the archives are mostly
useless as a knowledge base.

== revision not specified ==

The TOS says that reusers have to attribute the authors by linking to
the article. The problem is that such a link will actually point to a
different article after each edit (that is, the text and author list
will have been changed). If you find a text copied from Wikipedia on
the net, and there is no date information, it is very hard to find out
which version of the article it is (and thus who the authors are); if
the text is a derivative work from a Wikipedia article, then it's
practically impossible.

Even if one argues that attributing bogus authors is not a problem as
long as the real ones all appear on the list, the author list can
change arbitrarily when the article is renamed or deleted and
rewritten. (Neither of which is apparent even if one looks at the page
history.)

A few possible solutions to that:
- require reusers to permalink to the revision they used; change the
totally unhelpful error message that is shown when one follows a link
to a deleted version. (Probably not a very good idea as it messes up
caching. Also, bad usability: most of the people who click such a link
don't care about authors and original version one bit, and just want
to see/edit the current version of the article.)
- develop some syntax that shows the current version of the article,
but with a little message on top saying "you have followed a link from
a page reusing an older version of this article. You can see the most
recent version of the article; if you want to see the original click
here." (Maybe through some fragment id trick and javascript so it can
go through the cache?) We would still have to address links to deleted
versions.
- require reusers to give date/revision of the page along with the
url. Make some sort of search interface to find the text and/or author
set of an article based on that information.

== CC version incompatibilities ==

Copyright policy now says "You may import any text from other sources
that is available under the CC-BY-SA license", which is incorrect for
to reasons. First, CC-BY-SA-1.0 (used, for example, by Wikitravel) is
not compatible with anything but itself (as they forgot to include the
("or any later version" part). Second, different versions and
jurisdictions of CC are not quite compatible: for example if a wiki
has an article under CC-BY-SA-3.0-US, then uploading that to Wikipedia
(which will use CC-BY-SA-3.0 unported) is actually a breach of the
license. You could change the version or jurisdiction when you create
an adaptation (that is, you make changes significant enough to be
considered on of the authors), but not when you just redistribute the
work. (I doubt anything could be done about this beyond prodding CC to
release a saner version of their license soon.)

== edit summary cannot contain links ==

The currently proposed editing policy says:

"If you import text under the CC-BY-SA license, you must abide by the
terms of the license; specifically, you must, in a reasonable fashion,
credit the author(s). Where such credit is commonly given through page
histories (such as wiki-to-wiki copying), it is sufficient to give
attribution in the edit summary, which is recorded in the page
history, when importing the content."

(which BTW should be rephrased more clearly - does it mean you can use
the edit summary if you import text from another wiki, but not when
you do it from any other web page?)
The problem is that the edit summary does not allow external links:
they will show as plain text, and it would be hard to argue that that
is reasonable to the medium. (This one is easy to fix: allow them, and
rely on rev_delete and capctha to stop edit summary spam instead.)
Furthermore, a long link does not necessarily fit into the summary
(which is 255 bytes long, and there are a number of web pages that use
ugly links with loads GET parameters that are longer than that), so
some sort of separate attribution log might be more reasonable.

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
> the archives are mostly useless as a knowledge base.

This is false and you know it. Several of these questions *have* been
debated here and with a few simple searches you could be well on your way to
reading the discussions.

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
A pet peeve of mine; I don't think telling anyone what THEY know or
don't know over the internet is worthwhile in most cases.

-Dan

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
The only way to conclude that the archives are a worthless knowledge base
would be to attempt several search queries over them and find no relevant
results. Since results would have been found had reasonable searches been
attempted we know that the complaint is likely to be fake.

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
> This is false and you know it. Several of these questions
> *have* been
> debated here and with a few simple searches you could be
> well on your way to
> reading the discussions.

The archives are horribly messy and line breaks don't always happen.

It is much better to use something like:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=cc-by-sa#query:cc-by-sa%20list%3Aorg.wikimedia.lists.foundation-l+page:1+state:facets

Birgitte SB

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Seconded. FWIW, the archives are a completely useless tool,
and many messages over the years have gone 404, sadly.

-Chad

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
You guys are in the stone age ^_^

In gmail:

list:foundation-l keyword

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
2009/4/14 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> You guys are in the stone age ^_^
>
> In gmail:
>
> list:foundation-l keyword

Or onwiki:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Questions_and_Answers/Oppositional_arguments

--
geni

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> You guys are in the stone age ^_^
>
> In gmail:
>
> list:foundation-l keyword
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

Doesn't help if A) You don't archive all of your foundation-l
e-mails, or B) for e-mails prior to subscribing to the list.

-Chad

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
Could we please summarize the outcome of the long discussions on this
subject instead of discussing different external search services to the
mailing list? (No doubt one can learn a lot about the different external
possibilities not offered via the list.wikimedia.org site, yet I would like
to learn at least as much about the answers to the actual issues posed in
the original post [even at the price of repeating previously stated
conclusions])

These questions have apparently been discussed before and I am confident
that they will come up again: it might be a good idea to collect the answers
that came out of long, fast-paced and hard to follow mailing list threads.
The FAQ and the oppositional arguments pages (cited in this thread) in my
opinion don't serve the purpose and audience of the questions of this thread
(the FAQ in my opinion is aimed at a less initiated audience, while the
oppositional arguments deal with outright refusing this change; these
questions on the other hand might stir the fantasy of those that are
"advanced" licencwise and want to make this migration work and thus have
questions that will inevitably come up in practice once the licence update
has been followed through).

Thank you,
Bence Damokos

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
http://www.google.com/search?q=foundation-l+summary

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Could we please summarize the outcome of the long discussions on this
> subject instead of discussing different external search services to the
> mailing list?

What is it specifically that you want to know? The discussions on this
mailing list were largely for the benefit of those involved in the
discussion, not for others to get a summary afterward. Furthermore, they
were censored to the point where they weren't able to get to the heart of
the matter, which is a fundamental difference on the moral issues
surrounding copyright law, attribution, integrity rights, etc.

Are you strongly opposed to all types of "intellectual property"? Vote for
the change.
Do you believe that the right to attribution is a fundamental natural right
which is held by individuals and cannot be alienated by majority vote? Vote
against the change, or refuse to vote at all.
Have you not decided on whether or not you want to live in a society in
which individuals have the right to their creations? Vote "no opinion", or
don't vote, or hurry up and form an opinion already.

Most of all, don't worry so much about this vote. It's fairly meaningless.
We all know how it's going to turn out, after all. If you're not sure how
to vote, that indicates that you haven't decided on some fundamental
principles, which is a much bigger issue than whether or not to skew the
vote a couple hundredths of a percent one way or the other.
Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> Could we please summarize the outcome of the long discussions on this
>>> subject instead of discussing different external search services to the
>>> mailing list?
>>>

>> What is it specifically that you want to know? The discussions on this
>> mailing list were largely for the benefit of those involved in the
>> discussion, not for others to get a summary afterward. Furthermore, they
>> were censored to the point where they weren't able to get to the heart of
>> the matter, which is a fundamental difference on the moral issues
>> surrounding copyright law, attribution, integrity rights, etc.

I am somewhat curious as to the allegation of censorship on this
list. Do forward old e-mails by you that were blocked, to me personally,
if you retain any.
>> Are you strongly opposed to all types of "intellectual property"? Vote for
>> the change.

I don't see how this is warranted. As it stands the TOS proposed
is certainly semantically confusing, but hardly in stark opposition
to intellectual property. In fact Lawrence Lessig is on record as
stating taht CC licenses *depend* on intellectual property rights,
even if their purport is to maximally facilitate unlimited re-use, and
keeping the content in play for re-use.

>> Do you believe that the right to attribution is a fundamental natural right
>> which is held by individuals and cannot be alienated by majority vote? Vote
>> against the change, or refuse to vote at all.

Now this is just simply beyond the pale. You know full well that the
license as such is implicitly BY. And there is no TOS under vote that
would clearly deny any such purported natural right. The license
even states that whereas jurisdictions have moral rights legislation,
nothing in the license can be construed as limiting those exceptions
to the remit of the license itself.

Fortunately the license under vote is unsorted. Like I have said
before, I would prefer TOS that would require multiple licensing
under all localized license forms, but as a compromise it is enough
that a specific jurisdiction is not chosen as a privileged one.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Anthony <wikimail@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Could we please summarize the outcome of the long discussions on this
>> subject instead of discussing different external search services to the
>> mailing list?
>
> What is it specifically that you want to know?

I think he was telling us to get back on the subject at hand...
someone made a few comments and another person said "well, this has
already been discussed!" So... it would be useful to tell the
original poster what happened in those discussions, so that he can
participate. :-) Either that, or point him to the threads where it
was discussed.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Problems with the new license TOS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > Anthony wrote:
> >> What is it specifically that you want to know? The discussions on this
> >> mailing list were largely for the benefit of those involved in the
> >> discussion, not for others to get a summary afterward. Furthermore,
> they
> >> were censored to the point where they weren't able to get to the heart
> of
> >> the matter, which is a fundamental difference on the moral issues
> >> surrounding copyright law, attribution, integrity rights, etc.
> >>

> I am somewhat curious as to the allegation of censorship on this
> list. Do forward old e-mails by you that were blocked, to me personally,
> if you retain any.

I was not put on moderation, I was warned. Call it censorship via chilling
effects, if you'd like. See below: