Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm?
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2009/03/22/open-letter-call-for-major-websites-to-opt-out-of-phorm/

Should we say "er, no, not our data either" or ignore them?

(This has been discussed on internal lists as well, with all
commenting saying "HELL YES." The question then is whether, by some
obscure legal twist, this would leave WMF somehow exposed. And whether
it's worth it anyway.)

- d.

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
At this point I would suggest that we go ahead and block access to
Wikipedia from the UK entirely. Wikipedia isn't compatible with their
censorship, libel, copyright, or privacy policies.

Ryan Kaldari

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
On a serious note, however, I would say HELL YES.

Ryan Kaldari

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
HELL PERHAPS.

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
2009/4/1 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2009/03/22/open-letter-call-for-major-websites-to-opt-out-of-phorm/
>
> Should we say "er, no, not our data either" or ignore them?
>
> (This has been discussed on internal lists as well, with all
> commenting saying "HELL YES." The question then is whether, by some
> obscure legal twist, this would leave WMF somehow exposed. And whether
> it's worth it anyway.)
>

> - d.

Wikipedia is not a campaigning organisation. We already supply
information to people who's net access is monitored by far more
worrying groups than phorm. So the privacy issues would not on their
own be a justification.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
Yes, but how many of them let you opt out? If we could opt out of the
Great Firewall of China, I imagine we would :)

Ryan Kaldari

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
2009/4/1 Ryan Kaldari <kaldari@gmail.com>:
> Yes, but how many of them let you opt out? If we could opt out of the
> Great Firewall of China, I imagine we would :)

Most of these national firewalls limit the number of ISPs people can
access through. Blocking them or forcing to https would not present
too great a challenge.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/1 Ryan Kaldari <kaldari@gmail.com>:
>> Yes, but how many of them let you opt out? If we could opt out of the
>> Great Firewall of China, I imagine we would :)
>
> Most of these national firewalls limit the number of ISPs people can
> access through. Blocking them or forcing to https would not present
> too great a challenge.

To revive this discussion, Amazon just submitted its opt-out.

So, unless we care less about the freedom of the Intertubes than Amazon...

Magnus

Re: Fwd: Should WMF opt out of Phorm? [ In reply to ]
On 4/16/09 7:21 AM, Magnus Manske wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM, geni<geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/4/1 Ryan Kaldari<kaldari@gmail.com>:
>>> Yes, but how many of them let you opt out? If we could opt out of the
>>> Great Firewall of China, I imagine we would :)
>> Most of these national firewalls limit the number of ISPs people can
>> access through. Blocking them or forcing to https would not present
>> too great a challenge.
>
> To revive this discussion, Amazon just submitted its opt-out.
>
> So, unless we care less about the freedom of the Intertubes than Amazon...

It's already slated, it's just been a wacky wild week. :) Should be done
today.

-- brion