non-free content is going to be allowed to be uploaded on Commons. I'm
rather shocked that this was pushed through without any notice here, or
anywhere, and it has become policy, going against Wikimedia's "free content"
philosophy. Can people please input on the talk page as soon as possible
please, so we can get this reversed.

Alex
(User:Majorly)

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Non-free_content
Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
> April's fools alredy? *sigh*

Apparently. As I have no desire to have my time wasted by such abuse
of the mailing list, I've created a filter to delete any future
e-mails from Al Tally (with whom my interactions have been uniformly
negative).

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM, David Levy <lifeisunfair@gmail.com> wrote:

> > April's fools alredy? *sigh*
>
> Apparently. As I have no desire to have my time wasted by such abuse
> of the mailing list, I've created a filter to delete any future
> e-mails from Al Tally (with whom my interactions have been uniformly
> negative).

Hey, some people just lack a sense of humour. David Levy is one of them.
Happy April 1 everyone else :)

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM, David Levy <lifeisunfair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > April's fools alredy? *sigh*
> >
> > Apparently. As I have no desire to have my time wasted by such abuse
> > of the mailing list, I've created a filter to delete any future
> > e-mails from Al Tally (with whom my interactions have been uniformly
> > negative).
> >

> Hey, some people just lack a sense of humour. David Levy is one of them.
> Happy April 1 everyone else :)
>
> --
> Alex
> (User:Majorly)
> _

you'd be annoyed if you started getting lots of bogus messages and silly
jokes on december 28
Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
2009/4/1 Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@gmail.com>:
> you'd be annoyed if you started getting lots of bogus messages and silly
> jokes on december 28

Yes, because December 28 isn't the traditional day for such things. As
long as it is just one day a year, it's a bit of fun. If people
started doing it on random days, obviously it would be annoying.

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/4/1 Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@gmail.com>:
> > you'd be annoyed if you started getting lots of bogus messages and silly
> > jokes on december 28
>
> Yes, because December 28 isn't the traditional day for such things. As
> long as it is just one day a year, it's a bit of fun. If people
> started doing it on random days, obviously it would be annoying.

Well it CERTAINLY is in all latin america, spain and other latin countries

But we refrain from imposing our sillyness to the rerst of the world
Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
2009/4/1 Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2009/4/1 Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@gmail.com>:
>> > you'd be annoyed if you started getting lots of bogus messages and silly
>> > jokes on december 28
>>
>> Yes, because December 28 isn't the traditional day for such things. As
>> long as it is just one day a year, it's a bit of fun. If people
>> started doing it on random days, obviously it would be annoying.
>
> Well it CERTAINLY is in all latin america, spain and other latin countries
>
> But we refrain from imposing our sillyness to the rerst of the world

This is a (predominantly) English-language mailing list, so using
those traditions used in the English-speaking world seems to make
sense to me.

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> This is a (predominantly) English-language mailing list, so using
> those traditions used in the English-speaking world seems to make
> sense to me.

Of course, wasting resources on april 1st is very sensical.

And who cares about purported reach to the whole world and all that fancy
words
let's bother them with our idiotic pranks becuase we are majority and
thereforewe have the right to do so

Very good attitude on the wikimedia foundation list (I don't care if you do
so on english wikipedia list)
Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
Pedro Sanchez wrote:

> Of course, wasting resources on april 1st is very sensical.
>
> And who cares about purported reach to the whole world and all that fancy
> words
> let's bother them with our idiotic pranks becuase we are majority and
> thereforewe have the right to do so
>
> Very good attitude on the wikimedia foundation list (I don't care if you do
> so on english wikipedia list)

Needless to say, I wholeheartedly agree with you, Pedro. Every year,
I find myself disheartened by this Anglocentric rationale for
deliberate disruption.

I've even mentioned 28 December when trying to explain to people that
April Fools' Day isn't a worldwide custom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Innocents#Feast_days

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
> > This is a (predominantly) English-language mailing
> list, so using
> > those traditions used in the English-speaking world
> seems to make
> > sense to me.

> Of course, wasting resources on april 1st is very
> sensical.
>
> And who cares about purported reach to the whole world and
> all that fancy
> words
> let's bother them with our idiotic pranks becuase we are
> majority and
> thereforewe have the right to do so
>
> Very good attitude on the wikimedia foundation list (I
> don't care if you do
> so on english wikipedia list)

Right, it obviously "the pompous English majority" conspiring here because you received a prank from every English speaker on the list.

If the list were in Spanish so every immature youth in Latin America with too much time on their hands could access it without scholarship, you would be unable to spare the rest of us on Dec 28. Follow David's example and ignore those who actually choose to waste your time and spare the rest of us your stereotyped rant.

Birgitte SB

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
Birgitte SB hett schreven:
> Right, it obviously "the pompous English majority" conspiring here because you received a prank from every English speaker on the list.
>
> If the list were in Spanish so every immature youth in Latin America with too much time on their hands could access it without scholarship, you would be unable to spare the rest of us on Dec 28. Follow David's example and ignore those who actually choose to waste your time and spare the rest of us your stereotyped rant.
>
> Birgitte SB

Cultural imperialism is not confined to societies. It can be done by
individuals too. And Pedro's critical remarks are aimed at individuals.
No need to feel offended as a member of the English majority (except you
support imposing your own cultural sillynesses on other people, in that
case, feel offended).

The main problem with "just ignore them" is: If you don't know the
custom of April's Fool day, you won't know that it's a joke. And even if
you know the custom you can still fall for the jokes.

I am fully aware, that there will always be idiots, who don't know how
to behave in an intercultural environment, but only if we tell them that
they are idiots, awareness can arise for the idioticy of this behaviour.

Marcus Buck

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This is a (predominantly) English-language mailing list, so using
>> those traditions used in the English-speaking world seems to make
>> sense to me.
>>
> Of course, wasting resources on april 1st is very sensical.
>
> And who cares about purported reach to the whole world and all that fancy
> words
> let's bother them with our idiotic pranks becuase we are majority and
> thereforewe have the right to do so
>
> Very good attitude on the wikimedia foundation list (I don't care if you do
> so on english wikipedia list)

Some people just need to lighten up. Over the years I've seen many
issues that "waste" a lot more resources than this. If you see shit in
the toilet a person who flushes uses resources far more efficiently than
some jealously constipated individual who opens up an investigation to
punish the person who left it there. People who complain about a little
innocent fun are akin to those in an office who measure the length of
pencils every day to make sure they aren't excessively wasted.

Ec

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
> > Right, it obviously "the pompous English majority"
> conspiring here because you received a prank from every
> English speaker on the list.
> >
> > If the list were in Spanish so every immature youth in
> Latin America with too much time on their hands could access
> it without scholarship, you would be unable to spare the
> rest of us on Dec 28.  Follow David's example and
> ignore those who actually choose to waste your time and
> spare the rest of us your stereotyped rant.
> >
> > Birgitte SB
> >
> Cultural imperialism is not confined to societies. It can
> be done by
> individuals too. And Pedro's critical remarks are aimed at
> individuals.
> No need to feel offended as a member of the English
> majority (except you
> support imposing your own cultural sillynesses on other
> people, in that
> case, feel offended).
>
> The main problem with "just ignore them" is: If you don't
> know the
> custom of April's Fool day, you won't know that it's a
> joke. And even if
> you know the custom you can still fall for the jokes.
>
> I am fully aware, that there will always be idiots, who
> don't know how
> to behave in an intercultural environment, but only if we
> tell them that
> they are idiots, awareness can arise for the idioticy of
> this behaviour.

If you hadn't snipped it would be clear the rant was not directed at any individuals. The foundation list and it's English majority were all that was given not idiotic pranksters. While one need not feel offended about it, neither does one need to feel annoyed with April Fools pranks. But such an attitude is offensive to me and I don't think it belongs here any more than the annoying pranks do.

I am afraid you misunderstood my suggestion as well as misquoted me.. I have no issue with singling out people, and didn't mean to suggest they must be ignored without comment. More like placed on the "ignore emails from X" function of your Inbox. So that they won't bother him in the future.. I suggested following David's example, which was singling a prankster out and publicly announcing that he was ignoring him. So I never intended to suggest that he "just ignore [the pranks]".

Birgitte SB

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
I've just finished coding up Non-Free Content Bot which spiders Google
Images and uploads 10 per second to commons with no license information. I
wrote the bot using MediaWiki's turing complete template language. Given
that Google Images has 916,000,000 images I anticipate it will take
2.90269084 years to finish.

Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
May I point out that Alex, also known as majorly or Al Tally, is a respected
member of the British Wikimedia crowd and not just a one off prankster using
a made up e-mail address. Also, this made me laugh and I would have thought
that a prank with cultural significance (due to the date), that is
reveleaded to be such, is also interesting for intercultural learning
instead of the opposite.

To single out single members of the community, especially respected
contributors on and off site, and calling them idiots I think is far worse.

Ian
[[User:Poeloq]]

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:

> I've just finished coding up Non-Free Content Bot which spiders Google
> Images and uploads 10 per second to commons with no license information. I
> wrote the bot using MediaWiki's turing complete template language. Given
> that Google Images has 916,000,000 images I anticipate it will take
> 2.90269084 years to finish.
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki@googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I just came across this[1] policy on Commons, which states that from
> today,
> > non-free content is going to be allowed to be uploaded on Commons. I'm
> > rather shocked that this was pushed through without any notice here, or
> > anywhere, and it has become policy, going against Wikimedia's "free
> > content"
> > philosophy. Can people please input on the talk page as soon as possible
> > please, so we can get this reversed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Alex
> > (User:Majorly)
> >
> > [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Non-free_content

Ian A Holton
Basler-Landstrasse 19a - 79111 Freiburg - Germany
+49 761 4587907 (Landline)
+49 157 77247397 (Mobile)
Re: Non-free content on Commons [ In reply to ]
Cary Bass wrote:

> David Levy wrote:
>
>> Pedro Sanchez wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, wasting resources on april 1st is very sensical.
>>>
>>> And who cares about purported reach to the whole world and all
>>> that fancy words let's bother them with our idiotic pranks
>>> becuase we are majority and thereforewe have the right to do so
>>>
>>> Very good attitude on the wikimedia foundation list (I don't care
>>> if you do so on english wikipedia list)
>>>
>> Needless to say, I wholeheartedly agree with you, Pedro. Every
>> year, I find myself disheartened by this Anglocentric rationale for
>> deliberate disruption.
>>
>> I've even mentioned 28 December when trying to explain to people
>> that April Fools' Day isn't a worldwide custom.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Innocents#Feast_days
>>
> Here here! I'm also a fan of doing this on December 28 (and ignoring
> the fact that it's my birthday that day).
>
> Cary

Me too; adding that I would be all for the jewish contributors
of our site to create a [[Wikipedia:Purim policy page]] next
year 27th to 28th of March. (See [[Purim torah]])

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen