Mailing List Archive

Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results
Hello,
A couple of days ago I have contacted our project manager in San Francisco
who is dealing with the improvement of the usability of Wikipedia. I have
done this interview for [[de:Wikipedia:Kurier]] and translated it to German,
but originally it is in English and so I thought that I can also send it to
this list.
Kind regards
Ziko

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kurier

*Kimura: Wikipedia Usability by Better „Ranking“*

*Wikipedia is difficult to edit, many people say, and Wikimedia Foundation
encountered the problem by installing Naoki Kimura as a project manager. Her
team will make proposals to improve Wikipedia Usability. In an interview
with Ziko van Dijk she unravels test results and the next step.*

ZvD: Dear Naoki Kimura, previously you told us that you would run some tests
about the problems of our new users.

NK: Yes, first results confirmed that new Wikipedia users find it very
difficult to link to the already existing community, to fit in and to learn
the rules. Most difficult this is because the rules change and there is no
clear authority. You don't know whom to direct to.

ZvD: That is exactly the Wiki principle which made Wikipedia big.

NK: But is it suitable to keep Wikipedia running? We lose a lot of people or
scare them away even before they join, the statistics show us. Wikipedia can
only go on by making the collaboration better.

ZvD: So if I am a new user, what will change?

NK: In fact, as a new user you already have only limited rights compared to
more experienced users. You cannot vote, you cannot sight versions in
Wikipedias with flagged revisions, and so on. This must become more
systematic. So as a new user you will start as a „rookie user“, and after
six months, after trainings and tests, you might become an „advanced user“
and later a „user major“. A bigger step will be to become an „editor
adjunct“ etc. In the end, you can become a „senior editor general“.

ZvD: I see. And what about non editors?

NK: You mean developers and admins? It will be the same or similar.

ZvD: And the "commander-in-chief" of the three service branches will be
Jimmy Wales?

NK: Yes of course, that will not change at all.

ZvD: So the word "edit war“ will get a totally new meaning?

NK: No, there will be no edit wars at all! There will be no quarrels, no
uncertainties, no cybermobbing. We will even be able abolish the talk pages.

ZvD: Because everyone knows who is senior and has what rights.

NK: Exactly.

ZvD: But will Wikipedians accept such a system?

NK: That is funny, you know. I worried about that until I presented the idea
to the staff members in San Francisco. They told me that they are all Star
Trek fans and when they were children at play, they called each other
"captain“ or "midshipman“ or "commander“.

ZvD: Naoki, I wish you all the best for implementation (it will certainly
not be easy) and thank you for this interview.

NK: Dismissed.

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
*No, there will be no edit wars at all! There will be no quarrels, no
uncertainties, no cybermobbing*

Oh, I can't wait to see THIS.

DM

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
I would appreciate, if we do not put cultural non-universal April 1
jokes on an international list.

Perhaps you had fun, I have none.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox

Ziko van Dijk hett schreven:

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Just a point of information: Her name is Naoko Komura, not Naoki Kimura.

-Dan

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a point of information: Her name is Naoko Komura, not Naoki Kimura.

*cough* It's not real Dan. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Fail reading comprehension is fail.

I submit myself to lose.

-Dan

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Thank you Ziko. I always enjoy the unfiltered news exacerbated by the
Kurier... you should broadcast your work more than once a year. And
Ms. Kimura is clearly a crack dictator, she should be miked up
regularly. SJ

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your kind words, SJ. I will tell Ms. Kimura when I will see
her (only in my imagination, the name is a mixture from a German friend of
mine who has a Japanese mother, Marko Naoki Something, and a Japanese friend
of mine who has a German mother, Mr. Kimura).

Thanks to Naoko Komura who permitted to distribute a fake interview that
could erroneously be attributed to her.

Kind regards

Ziko

who is culture-imperialistic, spamming garbage, confusing the newbies,
making jokes about real dangers, making jokes about disabled people, and
unwitty (see how some Wikipedians react to a April fools day joke...)

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde
Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Ziko van Dijk hett schreven:
> Ziko
>
> who is culture-imperialistic, spamming garbage, confusing the newbies,
> making jokes about real dangers, making jokes about disabled people, and
> unwitty (see how some Wikipedians react to a April fools day joke...)

Harsh critic, isn't it? There are two interpretations possible now: a)
All those critics are dicks. b) You did something that is indeed critizable.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
The best solution to this problem is clearly a clean wipe of the Wikipedia
namespace!

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org> wrote:
> Harsh critic, isn't it? There are two interpretations possible now: a)
> All those critics are dicks. b) You did something that is indeed critizable.

"All those critics" being you and . . . who else, again?

Part of being on an international list is having to deal with other
cultural groups' customs, such as April Fools' Day.

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Aryeh Gregor hett schreven:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org> wrote:
>
>> Harsh critic, isn't it? There are two interpretations possible now: a)
>> All those critics are dicks. b) You did something that is indeed critizable.
>>

> "All those critics" being you and . . . who else, again?
>
> Part of being on an international list is having to deal with other
> cultural groups' customs, such as April Fools' Day.

Ziko cross-posted his "joke" on several lists and on the wiki and got
critic on several of them. If you want names: Marcela, Janneman,
Phantom, Southpark for example. Look at the list:
"culture-imperialistic, spamming garbage, confusing the newbies, making
jokes about real dangers, making jokes about disabled people, and
unwitty". The only thing, that I accused him of (at least I used the
word, alhough not explicitly in his direction) was cultural imperialism.

Fools' days are actually an ethnographic category. There are several
time periods in different cultures at which making fun of others is
common. Most of the Western world has April 1 as fools' day, the
Spanish-speaking world, as Pedro mentioned, knows December 28, somebody
mentioned the Yiddish Purim torah, Denmark knows the Majkat on April 30
and May 1 and there are several other occasions in other cultures. Would
you like to be fooled on all of them?

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Not only that, but I didn't find it funny at all. Absolutely devoid of
humor. Distorting truth does not automatically make it humorous. I
believed it at first, actually, until I realized what today is. I feel
that this was completely pointless and a waste of my time.

Mark

Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
Folks, lighten up. For a community to be a community, vibrant and open, it
can't be all serious all the time. So, at the risk of using culturally
imperialistic idiom... chill out!

Nathan
Re: Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results [ In reply to ]
LOL - we have a self-proclaimed April Fool who is not so happy about being
made a fool of ^_^