anyone clarify on the matter as it seems that nearly everyone just
hurrays the implementation and there is no effort to solve those issues.

John

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
Hello John,

> done, or that any other measure is taken to avoid said problems. Can
> anyone clarify on the matter as it seems that nearly everyone just
> hurrays the implementation and there is no effort to solve those
> issues.

I discussed this with Andrew (he is not on foundation-l), and
apparently, AbuseFilter does not seem to disclose any information that
would not be available elsewhere.
Is there any particular information released by it you'd consider
leaking private data?

We love privacy, but we want to be consistent :)

--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
The problem is that something that previously was public (vandal moving
the page "George W. Bush" to "moron") will now be private (he get a
message that hi isn't allowed to do that), this shifts the context from
a public context to a private context. Then the extension do logging of
actions done in this private context to another site. Users of this site
will then have access to private information. It is not the information
_disclosed_ which creates the problem, it is the information
_collected_. It seems like the information is legal for "administrative
purposes", but as soon as it is used for anything other it creates a lot
of problems. For example, if anyone takes actions against an user based
on this collected information it could be a violation of local laws.
(Imagine collected data being integrated with CU) If such actions must
be taken, then the central problems are identification of who has access
to the logs and are they in fact accurate. That is something you don't
want in a wiki with anonymous contributors! :D

The only solution I see is to avoid all logging of private actions if
the actions themselves does not lead to a publication of something.
Probably it will be legal to do some statistical analysis to administer
the system, but that should limit the possibility of later
identification of the involved users.

There are a lot of other problems, but I think most of them are minor to
this.

John

Re: Abuse filter legal/privacy implications [ In reply to ]
John,

> There are a lot of other problems, but I think most of them are
> minor to
> this.

Well, this looks like lawyer thing then, not overall privacy policy
discussion.

--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Abuse filter legal/privacy implications [ In reply to ]
Privacy _is_ about law, but the extension creates the privacy problem
and it must be solved.
John

Re: Abuse filter legal/privacy implications [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Privacy is regulated by laws. Privacy is about law but it is first and
foremost about decency. By being consistent in what we do, by doing our best
to provide reasonable privacy levels we provide a decent service to our
users. There is no such thing as "the law" and the law as implemented can be
insane.

There are laws that we do not abide by There are laws that we do not want to
abide by. This means that the basic drive for privacy is because it is what
we want not because we are told to do so.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
The peculiarity in some respects of Scandinavian law seems to come up on
this list fairly frequently, but it's usually short on specifics or actual
cases. John, do you have any specific references to what you've described as
a problem?

Adhering to your interpretation on the possible limits on "private"
information would effectively eliminate the abuse filter as a useful tool.
I'm having a hard time seeing this as a widespread problem; there can't be
many jurisdictions that define public and private in this way, or place such
restrictions on what can be done with this data that blocking someone from a
private website in another country could be a violation of the law.

To my mind, private data of the sort we need to worry about is not "private"
in the sense that it is owned by the Foundation or not publicly viewable,
but "private" in the sense that it contains potentially sensitive details of
individual editors and readers. Nothing in the abuse filter would seem to
change the public availability of this sort of data, and I can hardly see
Wikimedia being penalized simply for preventing vandalism instead of
reacting to it.

Nathan

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
It is not refusing to accept some kind of edit that creates the problem,
it is the logging of the action because you then collect information
about the users. Preventing the vandalism instead of reacting to it
shifts the actions from a public context to a private context. By
avoiding collecting such information and adhering to "administration of
the system" most of the problem simply goes away. Its not about using or
not using the extension, its about limiting the logging so that no one
can gain access to any data to make later actions against the users (ie.
the vandals).

WMF may choose to log the information anyhow, like it may choose to not
respect copyright laws in some countries. I don't think that is very
wise, but I can only say what I believe is right.

John

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
I see the actions as 100% public. Just because the edit that was attempted
was not allowed does not mean it was not meant to be public. The "Logs" are
just another avenue that an edit may take if it meets some conditions. the
only difference between logging and previous behavior is the edit never made
it to the "live" page. this is very similar to flagged revisions behavior of
not showing an edit until its approved.

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
I asked this in the last e-mail, but I'll make it the primary point of this
one - do you have specific references that led to your current understanding
of the problem? Has the distinction you describe in the collection of
information been litigated somewhere else, or the subject of a law in any
jurisdiction? As it stands, the logging is a crucial element of the filter.
It's probably possible to obscure IP data from the log, but I don't see why
that would be necessary at this point.

Nathan

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
In Norway Personopplysningsloven §7 gives explicit exemptions to
artistic, journalistic and literary work. Vandalism is no such thing but
the project as such is a journalistic and literary work. When someone
vandalize we claim it is just piggybacking on the normal use of the site
and is "published". If there is no publishing the full law apply.

We had a previous correspondence with Datatilsynet where they claimed
IP-addresses to be personal information. I don't think they have changed
on that matter. WMF may choose to dismiss the law altogether, but I'm
not sure Norwegian users can do the same thing.

I doubt seriously that logging of IP-addresses is a crucial element of
the extension, its simply nice to have for later retrieval and actions.
Given how logging is implemented in Mediawiki it is probably easier to
keep the IP-addresses than removing them.

I don't think anything is going to change, so it is as a lost case.

John

http://www.lovdata.no/all/tl-20000414-031-001.html#7

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
Just so everyone is clear:

1) The abuse log is public. Anyone, including completely anonymous
IPs, can read the log.

2) The information in the log is either a) already publicly available
by other means, or b) would have been made public had the edit been
completed. So abuse logging doesn't release any new information that
wouldn't have been available had the edit been completed. (Some of
the information it does release, such as User ID number and time of
email address confirmation, is extremely obscure though. While
"public" in the sense that it could be located by the public, some of
the things in the log would be challenging to find otherwise.)

3) Some of the rules are private. The log generated is the same
whether the rule being triggered is public or private, and both kinds
result in a publicly accessible log.

4) There is an existing bug that deletion of articles does not
currently delete the corresponding entries in the Abuse Log. That can
potentially allow information about deleted content to leak through in
some specific cases. It is on the agenda to patch that hole.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just so everyone is clear:
>
> 1) The abuse log is public. Anyone, including completely anonymous
> IPs, can read the log.
>
> 2) The information in the log is either a) already publicly available
> by other means, or b) would have been made public had the edit been
> completed. So abuse logging doesn't release any new information that
> wouldn't have been available had the edit been completed. (Some of
> the information it does release, such as User ID number and time of
> email address confirmation, is extremely obscure though. While
> "public" in the sense that it could be located by the public, some of
> the things in the log would be challenging to find otherwise.)

Is it a wild assumption on the part of an editor, that after he has been
warned for an "abuse" and not pursued it (by forcing a save if the "save"
button is available) to assume that his action was lost, and thus possibly
surprising to see it publicly logged?

In my opinion pressing the preview button and then not saving is a similar
use case as being warned by the abuse filter and not saving -- you should
not expect the lost edit in either case to be publicly available. I think at
the least the abuse warning should make it clear that the action and <*x,y,z
data of the user> * were publicly logged.

Best regards,
Bence Damokos
Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
Bence Damokos wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just so everyone is clear:
>>
>> 1) The abuse log is public. Anyone, including completely anonymous
>> IPs, can read the log.
>>
>> 2) The information in the log is either a) already publicly available
>> by other means, or b) would have been made public had the edit been
>> completed. So abuse logging doesn't release any new information that
>> wouldn't have been available had the edit been completed. (Some of
>> the information it does release, such as User ID number and time of
>> email address confirmation, is extremely obscure though. While
>> "public" in the sense that it could be located by the public, some of
>> the things in the log would be challenging to find otherwise.)
>

> Is it a wild assumption on the part of an editor, that after he has been
> warned for an "abuse" and not pursued it (by forcing a save if the "save"
> button is available) to assume that his action was lost, and thus possibly
> surprising to see it publicly logged?
>
> In my opinion pressing the preview button and then not saving is a similar
> use case as being warned by the abuse filter and not saving -- you should
> not expect the lost edit in either case to be publicly available. I think at
> the least the abuse warning should make it clear that the action and <*x,y,z
> data of the user> * were publicly logged.

Except his assumption when clicking save, before ever seeing the abuse
filter warning, was that his edit would be publicly viewable
immediately. Unless the user was purposely intending to do something
that he knew would be disallowed by the abuse filter, he was fully
intending for whatever he wrote to be made public.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Alex <mrzmanwiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bence Damokos wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just so everyone is clear:
>>>
>>> 1) The abuse log is public.  Anyone, including completely anonymous
>>> IPs, can read the log.
>>>
>>> 2) The information in the log is either a) already publicly available
>>> by other means, or b) would have been made public had the edit been
>>> completed.  So abuse logging doesn't release any new information that
>>> wouldn't have been available had the edit been completed.  (Some of
>>> the information it does release, such as User ID number and time of
>>> email address confirmation, is extremely obscure though.  While
>>> "public" in the sense that it could be located by the public, some of
>>> the things in the log would be challenging to find otherwise.)
>>

>> Is it a wild assumption on the part of an editor, that after he has been
>> warned for an "abuse" and not pursued it (by forcing a save if the "save"
>> button is available) to assume that his action was lost, and thus possibly
>> surprising to see it publicly logged?
>>
>> In my opinion pressing the preview button and then not saving is a similar
>> use case as being warned by the abuse filter and not saving -- you should
>> not expect the lost edit in either case to be publicly available. I think at
>> the least the abuse warning should make it clear that the action and <*x,y,z
>> data of the user> * were publicly logged.
>
> Except his assumption when clicking save, before ever seeing the abuse
> filter warning, was that his edit would be publicly viewable
> immediately. Unless the user was purposely intending to do something
> that he knew would be disallowed by the abuse filter, he was fully
> intending for whatever he wrote to be made public.
>
> --
> Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Exactly. Which is why I fail to see an argument about privacy concerns. When
you press any submit button in Mediawiki for an action that is logged (be it a
page move, edit, deletion, user rights change), you do knowing full well that
your actions are going to be public. If your attempted action is blocked by the
filters, we now log that.

Now, I could see the argument for privacy if we started logging things that are
traditionally private (login/logout, password changes, preference changes, etc),
but that's not the case here.

-Chad

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
2009/3/25 John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no>:
> In Norway it is legal to log such actions for the administration of the
> system, but as soon as it is used for actions against the users it would
> need a license (konsesjon) to handle such information.

What kind of action against users are you thinking of? All we're
likely to do is block them, which would be administering the system.
Are you suggesting that contacting their ISP to report abuse would be
problematic? (That's the only other action I can think of.)

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
Basically all actions against users given information in such a log.
Contacting the ISP is a valid question, I believe contacting the ISP
about completed actions are legal in most jurisdictions, contacting them
about uncompleted actions is not. In the US it is legal to act on
uncompleted actions after provocations (aka the perpetrators
intentions), that is not legal in every other countries (eg quite few
countries).

As I see it, all problems comes from public or partly public logging
actions that are now in a private context.

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
2009/3/27 John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no>:
> Contacting the ISP is a valid question, I believe contacting the ISP
> about completed actions are legal in most jurisdictions, contacting them
> about uncompleted actions is not.

I fail to see how do you distinguish between a “completed” action and
an “uncompleted” one.

When you click Save, you *complete* your action. The only difference
Abuse Filter makes is whether this action shows at
http://xx.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar?action=history, or at
http://xx.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:AbuseLog. How could the law
distinguish between those??

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
And what is "every other countries"? I'm not a lawyer, but even if you
are, have you done a legal study of all the countries on earth,
because there are a lot.

skype: node.ue

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM, John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no> wrote:
> As I see it, all problems comes from public or partly public logging
> actions that are now in a private context.

When you press submit, you've already completed your action, and
it's public. Just because the AbuseFilter doesn't let you add your
text to the page history doesn't make it any less public.

Your whole argument stems from this faulty premise of edits/moves/etc
not being public if they are blocked. This is wrong.

-Chad

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
Exactly. It's not as if we're invading people's minds to see what
they're going to do, they've already done it.

MArk

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
2009/3/27 Mark Williamson <node.ue@gmail.com>:
> And what is "every other countries"? I'm not a lawyer, but even if you
> are, have you done a legal study of all the countries on earth,
> because there are a lot.

He said "every" not "any". "that is not legal in every other
countries" (assuming that last word was intended to be singular) means
there is at least one country where it is not legal. "that is not
legal in any other country" would mean there were no countries where
is was legal. People using "every" and "any" incorrectly is a pet hate
of mine, but he got it right!

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
This issue has been discussed at rather great lenght at Wikipedia in
Norwegian (bokmål) and the mailinglist admin-wikipedia-no. I haven't yet
seen anyone who agrees with Johns interpretation that logging of attempts to
save (publish) blocked by an abusefilter is against Norwegian law.

Finn Rindahl

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
Thats correct. ~~~~

Re: Abuse filter [ In reply to ]
You publish something when you push the submit buttan AND it is later
publicly available. It is not published because it reads "submit" on the
button or anything else. It is the action AND the result that publish
the content.

When the content are in fact published is somewhat amusing in itself, it
is no universal accepted definitions of when this is done.

John