Mailing List Archive

Divergent Wiktionary logos
Hi all,

The two largest Wiktionary projects (English and French) have two
completely different logos. [1], [2]

The reason for this, from what I understand, is that a vote was taken
place about the logo fr.wiktionary currently has, on meta [3]; which
the English Wiktionary community chose not to be bound by, because
they, as a community, disagreed with the outcome.

I understand that there are complaints that new logo has elements too
closely resembling Scrabble pieces, or are otherwise too cartooned to
some. The "new" logo does maintain some visual identity as a project
logo, while the "classic" logo isn't really a logo at all, and
diverges wildly from project to project. Of the top ten Wiktionary
projects, four of them use the new version, while 6 of them use some
variation of the classic version:

fr: new
en: classic
tr: new
vi: new
ru: classic (a variation which little resembles the original)
io: classic (English version)
el: new
zh: classic (divergent variation)
pl: classic (divergent variation)
fi: classic (English version)

As a whole, I seem to remember that Wiktionary is the second most
visited site of the Foundation's websites, and I really do think it
should be appropriate that the site should reflect a common visual
identity, one that the classic logo does a poor job of creating. The
new logo, however, met with rather heavy resistance in, at the very
least, the English Wiktionary community.

I do, rather strongly, believe that the Wiktionary identity needs to
be squared away, having some poll in general inclusive of, yet binding
of all Wiktionary projects, and then if that fails, starting the
process again, and succeeding to foment an individual logo like the
recent successful Wikibooks logo revamp.

Cary

[1] <http://en.wiktionary.org>
[2] <http://fr.wiktionary.org>
[3] <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo>

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

Just wanted to second Cary's note - we talked about it briefly today.
A single brand identity for the project would be so much stronger, so
I encourage discussion on the matter. I completely appreciate the
challenges and how things have evolved up to this point, but it would
certainly be worth a deeper discussion and resolution.

Generally speaking we want to ensure all of the brand identities line
up across languages. I'm always impressed by the simple and elegant
way the project marks get localized in other languages/scripts but
still nicely translate with the visual style.

Best,

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
Hello all, this is a very old and often discussed issue,
the problems raised with the logo were not yet addressed (such as copyright
issues, which characters to use), and the new 'logo' is IMHO the most ugly
thing I have ever seen.

Btw.: from alexa.com:
Where people go on Wiktionary.org:

- en.wiktionary.org - 48.6% <- old logo
- de.wiktionary.org - 12.8% <- old logo
- fr.wiktionary.org - 9.7% <- new logo
- ru.wiktionary.org - 3.6% <- old logo
- es.wiktionary.org - 3.1% <- old logo
- ja.wiktionary.org - 2.9% <- old logo
- pl.wiktionary.org - 2.4% <- old logo
- pt.wiktionary.org - 2.3% <- old logo
- it.wiktionary.org - 1.6% <- new logo
- el.wiktionary.org - 1.5% <- new logo

Guess how many Wiktionarians apprently like the new logo...

Best regards, E.

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
Elisabeth Anderl wrote:
> Hello all, this is a very old and often discussed issue,
> the problems raised with the logo were not yet addressed (such as copyright
> issues, which characters to use), and the new 'logo' is IMHO the most ugly
> thing I have ever seen.
>
> Btw.: from alexa.com:
> Where people go on Wiktionary.org:
>
> - en.wiktionary.org - 48.6% <- old logo
> - de.wiktionary.org - 12.8% <- old logo
> - fr.wiktionary.org - 9.7% <- new logo
> - ru.wiktionary.org - 3.6% <- old logo
> - es.wiktionary.org - 3.1% <- old logo
> - ja.wiktionary.org - 2.9% <- old logo
> - pl.wiktionary.org - 2.4% <- old logo
> - pt.wiktionary.org - 2.3% <- old logo
> - it.wiktionary.org - 1.6% <- new logo
> - el.wiktionary.org - 1.5% <- new logo
>
> Guess how many Wiktionarians apprently like the new logo...

I didn't take part in the discussion and the vote, but this is a poor
attempt to justify the old logo. People do not look at a web site like
Wiktionary because of the logo.

> Best regards, E.

Regards,

Yann
--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence
http://www.forget-me.net/ | Alternatives sur le Net

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Yann Forget <yann@forget-me.net> wrote:

> I didn't take part in the discussion and the vote, but this is a poor
> attempt to justify the old logo. People do not look at a web site like
> Wiktionary because of the logo.
>
> > Best regards, E.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann

No, they don't, but since the more trafficked sites are likely to be more
complete and with a larger community... You can infer that there are more
people for the logo than against it, as demonstrated by which communities
use it and which do not.

If there were specific issues with the new logo that remain unaddressed,
perhaps the best thing to do is design a new logo that may not have those
same problems?

The old logo is owned by the WMF, but the new logo doesn't appear in the
Wikimedia Images category on the foundation wiki. Who owns the scrabble-like
logo? As a last resort, would the Foundation impose a logo scheme on a
project type where the communities couldn't come to consensus?

Last - should be noted that the wikimediafoundation.org site and the
www.wiktionary.org use the old 'logo' to represent all Wiktionary projects.

Nathan
Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
You do get me wrong, I am not justifying the old logo, it is not a logo,
but the new logo is not accepted by many communities and there is a dispute
going on for long time now [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], and I do not recommend
to force all these communities with something ugly like that after all these
failed attempts to get them to accept it.
If there would be someone able to design a new one from the scratch,
something that looks more serious and not like a kindergarden sign, maybe
that might get more projectwide acception.

E.

[1]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiktionary/logo#Trademark_infringement
[2]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiktionary-l/2007-November/subject.html
[3]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiktionary-l/2007-February/subject.html
[4]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiktionary-l/2007-January/subject.html
[5]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiktionary-l/2006-September/subject.html

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]

I'd like to propose the following page:

<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh> be opened for
arguments and vote on it start in a weeks time.

I'd also like considerable help in advertising it throughout the
projects and managing the page, as well.

Cary

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'd like to propose the following page:
>
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh> be opened for
> arguments and vote on it start in a weeks time.
>
> I'd also like considerable help in advertising it throughout the
> projects and managing the page, as well.
>
> Cary

Goes to the question of who determines the logo to be used, doesn't it? If
the meta vote approves the new logo, but a vote on en.wikt does not, which
is binding? Can meta participants vote to change any logo?

Nathan
Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I'd also like considerable help in advertising it throughout the
> projects and managing the page, as well.

CentralNotice on all wiktionaries? :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Of course Meta participants can vote; Wiktionary isn't solely "owned"
> by the people who most actively use it. It's a Wikimedia project,
> first and foremost. I generally expect most people who use Meta to
> respectfully give weight to the Wiktionarians, however, and not just
> "vote" on impulse. Most of us do that.

Sure - the first part of what I wrote (discussing a conflict of vote
outcomes) related specifically to Wiktionary, the second part was more
general. Given the status of the logos as marks of the Foundation, can the
meta community vote to change any logo? If not, what is the 'right way' to
pursue a logo change - using a staff driven process like this one, where the
vote is more confirmatory than determinant?

Nathan
Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the refusal of the logo by many wiktionaries, a precedent was set.

If a precedent was set then, then it was reversed by the successful
Wikibooks logo change: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikibooks/Logo>

As should be the case, when that happened it was enforced and all the
projects were updated -- if they had no translation, they were given a
plane version without any words (this could later be translated and
requested on bugzilla). The Wikibooks way is probably the best way to
go about it.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure - the first part of what I wrote (discussing a conflict of vote
> outcomes) related specifically to Wiktionary, the second part was more
> general. Given the status of the logos as marks of the Foundation, can the
> meta community vote to change any logo?

It's not "the Meta community". If a vote is held on Meta-Wiki in the
mainspace (not Meta: space), then it has to do with multiple projects
and we use Meta-Wiki because it is the "Wikimedia project coordination
wiki". This means that the vote is intended for all communities and
they are the ones who vote and discuss.

> If not, what is the 'right way' to
> pursue a logo change - using a staff driven process like this one, where the
> vote is more confirmatory than determinant?

IMO, the process doesn't need to be staff-*driven*, but they need to
be involved and know about the progress of the change. This being
said, their input would be valuable and would mean a lot -- if Jay
says "no, this isn't going to happen", I think that would either make
it so that the proposal wouldn't move forward or people would be less
likely to vote in favor of it.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> > When I read what is proposed, the impression is given that a process will
> > start with a compulsory outcome. I understand the rationale for one shared
> > logo and favicon. The problem is that it is people outside of Wiktionary
> > that want to improve the Wiktionary "brand" and the last time it was very
> > much these outsiders that made the selection.

Exactly. Despite the fact that fr.wikt and a few others eventually
adopted the logo, the logo debacle was not en.wikt's making. It wasn't a
refusal to accept the the outcome of the proposal, it was a reluctance
to be dictated to by people who weren't a part of the community. I'm
afraid this will be interpreted the same way, if we're proposing to just
slap a sitenotice on all the Wiktionaries telling them to discuss a new
logo. There needs to be community impetus for the change, so that the
meta discussion evolves out of actual community desire for a new logo.
We should start at places like en.wikt's [[Wiktionary:Beer parlour]],
fr.wikt's [[Wiktionnaire:Wikidémie]], and es.wikt's
[[Wikcionario:Café]], not foundation-l.

Dominic

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
Cary Bass wrote:
> While the English Wiktionary community may or may not be satisfied
> with the logo as-is, in the interest of maintaining a visual identity,
> one logo has to be used across projects
My impression is that the current split is a natural result of the fact
that nobody has yet put forward a satisfactory solution. The "classic"
logo is not a logo at all, but has the inertia of long use. The new logo
would give some consistency but is not compelling, a mixture of good
ideas and serious flaws. Since it's not a clear upgrade in the way that
the Wikipedia logo was, it's not surprising that different parts of the
project have decided not to go with it.

Given that background, I would conclude that neither of the current
options is desirable, and we need to develop a new Wiktionary logo. I
think a well-executed logo would not have much difficulty securing
adoption across the project. My own suggestion would be to use
individual blocks but to have them be like type pieces from a printing
press. This would incorporate some aspects of both current logos - from
the older one the feel of a dictionary, and from the newer one the more
logo-like benefits, while dropping the appearance of game pieces. As I'm
not a graphic designer, I'm not going to attempt to actually create the
logo, but I would be very interested to see what someone with
professional skills could come up with using this concept.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net> wrote:
> Given that background, I would conclude that neither of the current
> options is desirable, and we need to develop a new Wiktionary logo.

Yes, that's what Cary brought up. :-) On
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh> people have
the option of commenting on whether or not they think we should use
the 'classic' logo, the 'tile' logo, or design a new logo. He
specifically set it up so that "If none of the three options gains a
clear majority at the end of the second week of voting, then [he]
propose[s] the vote default to option three."

> My own suggestion would be to use
> individual blocks but to have them be like type pieces from a printing
> press.

Though actual proposals for new logos will be accepted later (once it
is decided how things will work), you can leave a comment about how
you feel here: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh#Begin_from_Scratch>
:-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
2009/3/26 Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net> wrote:
>> My own suggestion would be to use
>> individual blocks but to have them be like type pieces from a printing
>> press.
>
> Though actual proposals for new logos will be accepted later (once it
> is decided how things will work), you can leave a comment about how
> you feel here: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh#Begin_from_Scratch>
> :-)

Well, I did a really quick-and-dirty view of what Michael's
tiles-logo-but-actually-movable-type image might look like. It's
completely awful - I can't draw, and my Inkscape skills are worse -
but I offer it up anyway: :-)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WiktionaryFr-JDF_movable_type_idea_sketch.svg

The off-green was me failing to be bothered enough to find a gunmetal
grey transition shade pair, and of course it's the same rough image
just rotated and resized as appropriate, but... :-)

J.
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester@wikimedia.org | jdforrester@gmail.com

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I understand that there are complaints that new logo has elements too
> closely resembling Scrabble pieces, or are otherwise too cartooned to
> some. The "new" logo does maintain some visual identity as a project
> logo, while the "classic" logo isn't really a logo at all, and
> diverges wildly from project to project. Of the top ten Wiktionary
> projects, four of them use the new version, while 6 of them use some
> variation of the classic version:

I agree 100% that there should be a common brand to all Wiktionary projects.

I also understand why the majority of them haven't adopted the proposed logo.

I'm glad that this has been brought to Foundation-l, and
wholeheartedly support a reconsideration of this decision with a
broader audience—after all, a project's logo affects the overall
Wikimedia brand identity, not just those closely involved with that
project.

For my money, by the way, I think we should start over.

Austin

Re: Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
I agree with Austin. We cannot just force communities to adopt this new thing. Lets try for a clean start.

________________________________

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

>> My own suggestion would be to use
>> individual blocks but to have them be like type pieces from a printing
>> press.
>
> Though actual proposals for new logos will be accepted later (once it
> is decided how things will work), you can leave a comment about how
> you feel here: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/refresh#Begin_from_Scratch>
> :-)

I couldn't resist making a prototype:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiktionary/logo/refresh#Suggestion

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain@gmail.com

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
I couldn't resist the same urge :)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wiktionary_husky.svg

This is actually a submission from an earlier proposal for the Wikibooks logo.

-- Hay

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
What would the to be associate favicon look like ?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos [ In reply to ]
On 3/25/09 10:51 PM, Michael Snow wrote:
> Cary Bass wrote:
>> While the English Wiktionary community may or may not be satisfied
>> with the logo as-is, in the interest of maintaining a visual identity,
>> one logo has to be used across projects
> My impression is that the current split is a natural result of the fact
> that nobody has yet put forward a satisfactory solution. The "classic"
> logo is not a logo at all, but has the inertia of long use.

Just as background -- I created the current logo over the course of
about 5 minutes as a placeholder, figuring it would be replaced with a
more permanent logo within a few weeks.

It's been about 6 years. :)

-- brion