as the "Stanton Foundation"?

--
Gregory Kohs

Re: The Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund [ In reply to ]
2009/1/26 Gregory Kohs <thekohser@gmail.com>:
> Over here....
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors/De#Major_benefactors_.28.2450.2C000_or_more.29
>
> ...the Wikimedia Foundation gives credit to "the Stanton Foundation".
> It's my learning that "the Stanton Foundation" is a small non-profit
> located in Jackon, Michigan. However, "The Ruth and Frank Stanton
> Fund" is a large foundation (about $28 million in holdings, in 2007)
> that has made the high-profile donations in the past that are
> associated with the legacy of CBS head, Frank Stanton.

Given that the WMF will have had substantial communications with them
for some time before getting the money, I think it's highly unlikely
WMF would get their name wrong. What gives you the idea that the
Stanton Foundation is a small Michigan non-profit?

The Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund [ In reply to ]
Thomas Dalton says:
Given that the WMF will have had substantial communications with them
for some time before getting the money, I think it's highly unlikely
WMF would get their name wrong. What gives you the idea that the
Stanton Foundation is a small Michigan non-profit?

++++++++++

For these reasons:
http://nccsdataweb.urban.org/PubApps/showVals.php?ft=bmf&ein=383448185
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2008/383/448/2008-383448185-04683dae-F.pdf

I consider a foundation with about $400K in holdings a "small" one.

I'm waiting to hear back from Holtz Rubenstein Reminick (preparers of
the Form 990 for the Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund), but I'll bet they
have no affiliation with any "Stanton Foundation". I'm predicting
this is a repeated error of the "shorthand" nature, being made by both
the press and even benefactors. Nothing egregious, but it's just that
because there *is* another real "Stanton Foundation", this is
confusing. You know, "the sum of human knowledge" type of stuff that
is important to me.

Greg

Re: The Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund [ In reply to ]
Thomas Dalton hett schreven:
> 2009/1/26 Gregory Kohs <thekohser@gmail.com>:
>
>> Over here....
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors/De#Major_benefactors_.28.2450.2C000_or_more.29
>>
>> ...the Wikimedia Foundation gives credit to "the Stanton Foundation".
>> It's my learning that "the Stanton Foundation" is a small non-profit
>> located in Jackon, Michigan. However, "The Ruth and Frank Stanton
>> Fund" is a large foundation (about $28 million in holdings, in 2007)
>> that has made the high-profile donations in the past that are
>> associated with the legacy of CBS head, Frank Stanton.
>>

> Given that the WMF will have had substantial communications with them
> for some time before getting the money, I think it's highly unlikely
> WMF would get their name wrong. What gives you the idea that the
> Stanton Foundation is a small Michigan non-profit?

He wrote that. Each foundation has to file Form 990. Those forms can be
searched online <http://tfcny.fdncenter.org/990s/990search/esearch.php>.
The search term "Stanton Foundation" returns only small foundations. The
biggest is the Oliver & Elizabeth Stanton Foundation with assets of 6
million $. They spend around 100,000 each year, which is not enough to
fit. There's a Bonfils-Stanton Foundation too with more assets, but I
guess, it would have been named with the full name and not abbreviated.
The Stanton Fund has spent 1,2 million $ in 2007, which is the fitting
magnitude. But the profile of their spendings is not obviously related
to the Wikimedia donation.

(That's all no support of the idea, the WMF got wrong the name, just
information without judgement.)

Marcus Buck