Mailing List Archive

Why is the software out of reach of the community?
Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
Foundation?

Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code, and the
community such little input?

Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki, and
yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they like
it?

Why does the Foundation need 1 million for usability when amazing tools
continue to be ignored and untested?

Why has the Foundation gone ahead and approved the hire of several employees
for usability design, when the community has had almost zero input into what
that design should be?

Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif

--
You have successfully failed!
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?
>
> Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code, and the
> community such little input?
>
> Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki, and
> yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they like
> it?
>
> Why does the Foundation need 1 million for usability when amazing tools
> continue to be ignored and untested?
>
> Why has the Foundation gone ahead and approved the hire of several employees
> for usability design, when the community has had almost zero input into what
> that design should be?
>
> Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
> http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif

Well... Maybe just because software development requires at least some
basic knowledge of programming, and cannot be performed by voting
only? I guess some feedback from Wikipedia community is welcome - but
quite obviously programmers cannot work in a manner of discussing and
voting every line of code they are assumed to produce...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?

It's an issue of scale. Do you have any idea how big the foundation
projects are? Inefficient code could cripple our donation-supported
infrastructure. It's not that people don't want to use the newest and
coolest toys, it's that in order to keep the sites running at all the
foundation really needs to aim for a functional level of minimalism.

> Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code, and the
> community such little input?

In my experience, this is the way that most open source projects
operate. You can download and play with the source code to your
heart's content, but typically only a handful of "committers" have
access to modify the code. Average joe user like you and me can submit
patches if we see fit. Through patches we could build trust among the
developers and eventually become committers. I would be very
interested to hear about other successful open source projects that
didn't use any kinds of safeguards like this.

> Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki, and
> yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they like
> it?

well, the core software does improve and grow through normal
development effort. We wouldn't want a situation where improvements
could not be implemented without community approval. Foundation
projects run on MediaWiki software, and updates to the software are
reflected in the projects. It's not like they're installing things as
big and pervasive as Semantic MediaWiki without community approval.

> Why does the Foundation need 1 million for usability when amazing tools
> continue to be ignored and untested?

And who says that money isn't going to be used to test existing tools?
Without money, our developers are all volunteers, and they will do the
testing they want to do when they have time to do it. Let me ask, are
you doing any testing of potentially useful MediaWiki extensions
yourself?

> Why has the Foundation gone ahead and approved the hire of several employees
> for usability design, when the community has had almost zero input into what
> that design should be?

Whatever the design turns out to be, I'm sure we're going to need
developers to implement it. Plus, there are tons of existing usability
requests at bugzilla, and not enough development hands to even
implement the things the community has already asked for. Plus, there
are all those cool pre-existing community-developed extensions that
need to be tested by developers.

> Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
> http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif

Why would it be, has the community requested it? Again, it's economy
of scale: Wikipedia is too huge to serve as a beta test for all sorts
of random extensions. A smaller website like Wikibooks would be a much
better place to do extension testing, and in fact has been used in the
past as a beta test site for new extensions. You can't load just any
software onto Wikipedia and expect the servers to handle it well.
Wikipedia is simply too huge for that kind of avant garde management.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
In order to solicit community feedback on this very important issue, I
suggest the Foundation put up a multi-language banner on all Wikipedia's
soliciting input via a survey.

*How can Wikipedia be more usable?*

I also suggest the Foundation put up a We're Hiring banner. In tough global
economic conditions, and for the amount of money the Foundation has been
given, they could afford to hire 20 best in class developers who are
otherwise out of work.

800,000 / 30,000 = 26. Is that not a fair wage? If the Foundation only plans
to hire three developers to work on this project then it must be spending
the money on something else entirely.

The community also deserves a usability lab, and a full assessment of how
Semantic MediaWiki, Semantic Forms, and Project Halo could contribute to
usability. I predict they will find that, while they do not cover every
problem, the main issue that needs to be worked on is scaling them. This is
something that the core developers are experts at. They are not experts on
usability.

I would like to make clear that I believe the usability issue has largely
been solved, and the community is just waiting for the core developers, who
have kept a tight lock and key on the source code, to recognize that.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
> Let me ask, are you doing any testing of potentially useful MediaWiki
extensions yourself?

I run a dozen wikis, a few of them quite large. And I am a software
developer. I have put to use pretty much every significant extension to
MediaWiki, and I have pushed SMW to its limits.

That it currently has limits is not, to me, a reason to ignore it.

Here is one of my public wikis, and the software I work on:
http://grey.colorado.edu/emergent

I believe that if a core developer were to become excited about an extension
such as SMW, they could have already scaled it to Wikipedia size. Why should
we have to wait for them to become excited about something before it gets
implemented? The community deserves a larger voice than that. There needs to
be more rational oversight.
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
Hello, Brian.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:

> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?

The plan for Usability Initiative includes intensive reviews of MediaWiki
extensions which are already available. Then we will enable candidate
extensions with some set of test data in the test and lab environment.
Community involvement is essential in validating which extensions to adopt.

Usability test is targeted for users with no or little experience in editing
Wikipedia and the goal is to identify interactive obstacles. The proposed
solution will be tested for feedback similar way as testing existing
extensions.

I also believe it is important to iterate the process above so that we can
reach out to as many as possible.

The project page is in the plan and once it is up, I hope to exchange and
share ideas with the community.

Best,

- Naoko

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> In order to solicit community feedback on this very important issue, I
> suggest the Foundation put up a multi-language banner on all Wikipedia's
> soliciting input via a survey.

Are you willing to make the translations and the banner? Are you
willing to make the survey, administer it, and interpret results? Most
of the "Foundation" are volunteers who can't put multilingual banners
all over the place every time somebody would like to know some vague
something about the software.

> *How can Wikipedia be more usable?*
>
> I also suggest the Foundation put up a We're Hiring banner. In tough global
> economic conditions, and for the amount of money the Foundation has been
> given, they could afford to hire 20 best in class developers who are
> otherwise out of work.
>
> 800,000 / 30,000 = 26. Is that not a fair wage? If the Foundation only plans
> to hire three developers to work on this project then it must be spending
> the money on something else entirely.

First off, I'm a professional software developer and I would not work
for $30K. For 800K/year, you're looking at more like 10-15 developers
at the most, and that's under the assumption that you're only hiring
them for a single year. You're going to spend a lot of up-front time
training them, so the better investment by far is 3-5 developers for
several years. This is not to mention cost increases for hardware and
hosting that will come from adding more software to the backend and a
"prettier" frontend.

> The community also deserves a usability lab, and a full assessment of how
> Semantic MediaWiki, Semantic Forms, and Project Halo could contribute to
> usability. I predict they will find that, while they do not cover every
> problem, the main issue that needs to be worked on is scaling them. This is
> something that the core developers are experts at. They are not experts on
> usability.

If our core developers are not experts in usability (and I wouldn't
necessarily agree with that point anyway), then it makes sense to hire
people who are good with usability. If you look at the job postings,
you'll see that it's exactly what is intended. Setting up some kind of
"usability lab" has already been done, see
https://en.labs.wikimedia.org. This is the exact clearinghouse where
the Collections extension and FlaggedRevs extension were tested.

> I would like to make clear that I believe the usability issue has largely
> been solved, and the community is just waiting for the core developers, who
> have kept a tight lock and key on the source code, to recognize that.

The issue most certainly hasn't been solved. It's not just about
finding pretty tools, but about scaling them to fit Wikipedia (which
is no trivial task), and ensuring that they meet the needs of our
users. These things don't happen by insulting our developers or making
demands on a mailing list alone.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?

Most of them aren't applicable (YouTube, Google Maps extensions, etc.)
or not tested to the scale of Wikipedia and would therefore require
significant investments of resources to be ready for deployment.

> Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code, and the
> community such little input?

I disagree with the underlying premises. There are more than 150
committers to the MediaWiki SVN. Commit access is granted liberally.
Code is routinely updated and deployed in a very open fashion.
BugZilla is filled with thousands of community requests. The backlog
of requests is now more aggressively processed.

> Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki, and
> yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they like
> it?

I disagree with the underlying premises. For example, developers don't
deploy any feature we/they like. Features which are likely to be
disruptive are only deployed after community consultation. An example
of this is the FlaggedRevs extension, for which a clear community
process has been defined.

> Why does the Foundation need 1 million for usability when amazing tools
> continue to be ignored and untested?

In part, to stop ignoring and start testing them.

> Why has the Foundation gone ahead and approved the hire of several employees
> for usability design, when the community has had almost zero input into what
> that design should be?

In part, to be able to accommodate such input.

> Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
> http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif

SMW is a hugely complex tool. Along with other approaches to handle
information architecture, it merits examination. Such examination will
happen as resources for it become available. The priority for
obtaining such resources will compete with other priorities such as
usability, internationalization support, rich media support, etc.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
Thank you Naoko.

How can we be sure the money will be spent wisely?

Obama recently appointed a Chief Performance Officer. Do you have someone
providing similar oversight?

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
Erik,

I am skeptical of the current development process. That is because it has
led to the current parser, which is not a proper parser at all, and includes
horrifying syntax.

The current usability issue is widespread and goes to MediaWiki's core.
Developers should not have that large of a voice in usability, or you get
what we have now.

We do not even have a parser. I am sure you know that MediaWiki does not
actually parse. It is 5000 lines worth of regexes, for the most part.

In order to solve usability, even for new users, I believe that you must
write a new parser from scratch.

Are you prepared to do that?

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> 800,000 / 30,000 = 26. Is that not a fair wage? If the Foundation only plans
> to hire three developers to work on this project then it must be spending
> the money on something else entirely.

First of all, we're hiring three people because we already have two.
We've hired Naoko, and we will allocate Trevor full-time to the
project.

Secondly, base salaries if we hire locally (which we do, in this
case), are obviously much higher. See payscale.com and other sites to
get an idea of salaries in various parts of the world. That does not
include recruitment, benefits, equipment, office space and supplies,
staff development and travel, administrative overhead such as payroll,
etc. Plus the other costs we've budgeted, such as research costs for
usability tests, allocation of experienced on-staff developers to
support the project, etc.

Thirdly, if you were to hire remotely at lower salaries, you'd simply
incur much of the cost you'd save in salaries in other ways,
especially management, oversight, and travel. This is especially true
for a project of this complexity where you're not just handing some
set of specs over to an outsourcing firm. (You of all people,
advocating for a complex tool like Semantic MediaWiki, should
appreciate that.)

There are isolated projects that can be managed well by giving them to
experienced remote developers. For a project of this scope, complexity
and importance, I believe it's critical to have a local team that can
fully focus on the project and collaborate with the core staff in San
Francisco on an as-needed basis.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
As you surely know, the work of all staff, including 'how they spend
money' is continuously assessed by the ED who in turn is evaluated by
the board. There is also 3rd party financial audit. What are you
hinting at?

Erik/Naoko: does the Stanton grant include a condition for (external)
specific program evaluation?

On 1/10/09, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> Thank you Naoko.
>
> How can we be sure the money will be spent wisely?
>
> Obama recently appointed a Chief Performance Officer. Do you have someone
> providing similar oversight?
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Naoko Komura <nkomura@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, Brian.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
>> > Foundation?
>> >

>> The plan for Usability Initiative includes intensive reviews of MediaWiki
>> extensions which are already available. Then we will enable candidate
>> extensions with some set of test data in the test and lab environment.
>> Community involvement is essential in validating which extensions to
>> adopt.
>>

>> Usability test is targeted for users with no or little experience in
>> editing
>> Wikipedia and the goal is to identify interactive obstacles. The proposed
>> solution will be tested for feedback similar way as testing existing
>> extensions.
>>
>> I also believe it is important to iterate the process above so that we can
>> reach out to as many as possible.
>>
>> The project page is in the plan and once it is up, I hope to exchange and
>> share ideas with the community.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> - Naoko
>>

>> --
>> Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

> You have successfully failed!

Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
Erik I am glad you are still around and keeping an eye on things.

I believe that, with the audience the Foundation has access to, it could
save a lot of money by hiring people who love Wikipedia and want to work for
it. I don't think its true that the only way to get seasoned developers is
to wave a large carrot (aka $$$) in front of their face. I believe there
exist experienced developers who would gladly give a year of their life,
working at a lower wage, to work on Wikipedia.

The only way to access these people is to ask them directly - with a We're
Hiring banner, for example.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> In order to solve usability, even for new users, I believe that you must
> write a new parser from scratch.

I disagree, though the project team may ultimately agree with you. The
biggest barriers to entry for new users aren't likely to be obscure
edge cases involving apostrophes; they're likely to be ugly blocks of
syntax such as references, templates and magic words interspersed with
article text. Those issues can be addressed without necessarily
rewriting (or speccing out) the whole parser. It does seem that
parser/syntax deficiencies become more relevant if we want to employ a
two-way WYSIWYG/wiki-text model like the one that's currently being
tested on some Wikia sites (e.g. twilightsaga.wikia.com).

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:

> I am skeptical of the current development process. That is because it has
> led to the current parser, which is not a proper parser at all, and includes
> horrifying syntax.

Er, that would be a direct descendant of UseModWiki. That this has
been a hair-tearing nightmare ever since is largely because of the
huge corpus of text that needs to remain parseable - that doesn't
support your argument at all, and calls into question that you even
have one.

- d.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> Erik I am glad you are still around and keeping an eye on things.

Thank you, I appreciate that. :-)

> I believe that, with the audience the Foundation has access to, it could
> save a lot of money by hiring people who love Wikipedia and want to work for
> it. I don't think its true that the only way to get seasoned developers is
> to wave a large carrot (aka $$$) in front of their face. I believe there
> exist experienced developers who would gladly give a year of their life,
> working at a lower wage, to work on Wikipedia.

That is evidently true. In fact, everyone we're hiring accepts that
they are going to be paid under market rates. We are also working with
remote contractors on specific projects. If you are interested in
working as a remote contractor, or you know brilliant people who would
be, make a pitch to jobs at wikimedia dot org. We have put a general
note on the job openings page that we appreciate hearing from people
who are passionate and interested throughout the year, regardless of
current openings.

As for advertising this extremely broadly, I think that would be doing
a disservice to serious candidates as we simply would be drowning in
applications. (Sometimes, we already are.) And, having reviewed CVs
for almost every position that we've hired for in 2008, I can tell you
that arriving at a reasonable shortlist in a fair and accurate fashion
is a lot of work - and with the exception of some sanity filtering,
it's not a task you can easily give to someone else. We might try it
regardless, but only if we have a process in place to deal with the
predictable level of interest.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM, <mbimmler@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Erik/Naoko: does the Stanton grant include a condition for (external)
> specific program evaluation?

Yes, we are required to submit a quarterly report to the Stanton Foundation
to inform the project progress and status which includes financial report.

Best,

- Naoko
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
>
> > I am skeptical of the current development process. That is because it has
> > led to the current parser, which is not a proper parser at all, and
> includes
> > horrifying syntax.
>

> Er, that would be a direct descendant of UseModWiki. That this has
> been a hair-tearing nightmare ever since is largely because of the
> huge corpus of text that needs to remain parseable - that doesn't
> support your argument at all, and calls into question that you even
> have one.

It would be a potentially acceptable technical solution to change the parser
and markup syntax to make it easier to work with, as long as there was an
automated conversion tool to shift from what's in the DB now to what would
be there going forwards.

Adding in a new parser in parallel and a bit to flag whether a page was in
old or new format would make the conversion easy and prevent the necessity
for a flag day. Conversion done in semi-automated manner with user review
in real time would be a lot safer than having to autoconvert the whole thing
at once and deal with the edge cases all at the same time.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
Well, I believe my concerns have been adequately addressed. I have only one
last point of input on usability (for now ;-). I believe it my be the case
that the often bizarre idiosyncrasies of MediaWiki were implemented because
the developers were spread out around the world, in isolation, communicating
only over IRC and sometimes e-mail. I know there are yearly developer spurts
at Wikimania, but I do not know about the daily development environment at
the offices, and whether development continues in a largely isolated
fashion.
It seems that it would be prudent to accept consulting advice from Ward
Cunningham, as he not only invented wiki collaboration, but revolutionized
programmer collaboration with Extreme Programming. It is not prudent to
allow developers to collaborate in any manner of their choosing, as it will
often be far below what is optimal. If you want to spend the money wisely,
and avoid the common pitfalls prevalent in MediaWiki's fragile design, you
must ensure the developers are working side by side and following certain
rules.

Cheers,

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>wrote:

> [snip]
> When the usability of MediaWiki is improved, people will be encouraged to
> contribute to MediaWiki projects. It will be really hard to make the
> convoluted policies of the different Wikipedias clear. Many policies exist
> that on the face of it makes sense. However, when you combine them all, you
> get a mess that prevents people from contributing. I recently declined to
> write an en.wp article because I am hesitant because of all this.
>
> Realistically, in order to make MediaWiki and Wikipedia more usable, there
> are two aspects. There are technical aspects that will make it easy to
> contribute and there are the community aspects. For the Stanton project to
> do the technical aspects is a no brainer; obviously they will experiment
> with all the technical bits and bobs and make a difference. To get some
> traction on the community aspects, it takes a community that acknowledges
> that cleanup is needed.
>
> [/snip]

For once Gerard, you and I agree 100%. I got into a similar discussion with
Andrew Lih and Liam Wyatt on a recent episode of Wikipedia Weekly. And
we came to the same conclusion: usability in Wikimedia projects is hindered
by two things. Firstly, the usability issues within MediaWiki itself. The
second
being community issues.

As you say above and I said in the podcast: the usability grant will
hopefully
improve the usability of MediaWiki itself, and I look forward to seeing
their
work, for both the benefit of WMF projects and outside users of Mediawiki.
However, no sum of money can solve the underlying community issues.
That's for the wikis to identify and fix themselves.

-Chad
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
>> Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code, and the
>> community such little input?
>
> In my experience, this is the way that most open source projects
> operate. You can download and play with the source code to your
> heart's content, but typically only a handful of "committers" have
> access to modify the code. Average joe user like you and me can submit
> patches if we see fit. Through patches we could build trust among the
> developers and eventually become committers. I would be very
> interested to hear about other successful open source projects that
> didn't use any kinds of safeguards like this.

I'm an average joe and I have commit access. I rarely use it, but
after I'd committed a couple of minor bugfixes I asked Brion what was
required to get commit access and in response he pretty much just gave
it to me. All patches are reviewed before being implemented on the
live site, of course.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?

Because there's approximately one person (Tim Starling) who reviews
such extensions in practice, and he has limited time. There's
approximately one other person (Brion Vibber) who is qualified review
such extensions, although he hasn't for a long time that I can think
of, presumably because he's busy with other things.

> Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code

So that they can actually improve it. I don't know what alternative
you're suggesting.

> and the community such little input?

Because the community can't write code, or won't. Features will not
get implemented unless someone writes the code. Therefore, anyone who
cannot write the code themselves will not get their features
implemented unless they happen to convince someone with commit access.
Anyone who writes reasonably good code and shows mild commitment to
the project is given commit access and becomes a developer if they so
choose.

> Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki

The community is not being asked to vote on SMW that I've heard. If
they don't show enough interest, however, it might not be worth the
time of one of the few possible extension reviewers to try reviewing
such a huge extension.

> and yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they
> like it?

No developer can implement any feature without review by Brion. If a
developer were to commit a feature as large as SMW, it would be
disabled or reverted, for the same reason as given above: nobody with
time to review. This has happened with a number of features at
various points, like category and image redirects/moves, and
rev_deleted. They were all committed by developers but haven't been
enabled (or have by now, but weren't for a pretty long time).

> Why does the Foundation need 1 million for usability when amazing tools
> continue to be ignored and untested?

Part of that million will be spent on looking at existing tools. The
resources for that currently don't exist, or anyway aren't allocated.

> Why has the Foundation gone ahead and approved the hire of several employees
> for usability design, when the community has had almost zero input into what
> that design should be?

We've received multiple assurances that all the usability improvements
will be made in a fully transparent fashion with community input, as
befits Wikimedia's mission.

> Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
> http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif

Because it hasn't met review for enabling on Wikipedia, and likely
won't without major structural changes (for performance reasons).
Wikimedia handles 70,000 requests per second peak on 400 servers or
so. You cannot do that if you willy-nilly enable code that hasn't
been carefully tested in a suitably large production environment. And
no non-Wikimedia wiki is anywhere close to the size of Wikipedia.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> 800,000 / 30,000 = 26. Is that not a fair wage?

I find it incredibly unlikely that you'd be able to find 26 developers
with enough skill who are willing to work for $30,000 a year average.
That's below entry level for programmers, let alone senior
programmers. You certainly can't rely on current economic conditions,
unless you don't mind if they all jump ship as soon as the economy
improves and before they're properly familiar with the software.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure that a large chunk of the money is going to
have to go to conducting the actual usability tests. I don't know how
expensive those are, but they can't be free.

> I would like to make clear that I believe the usability issue has largely
> been solved, and the community is just waiting for the core developers, who
> have kept a tight lock and key on the source code, to recognize that.

Can you propose any tenable alternative development model that
wouldn't overload the servers or crash the site when people upload
code that's buggy or just doesn't scale? We have enough of that
checked in with our current procedures. It's only kept at bay because
everything is reviewed by one of a few highly trusted people, who have
worked on MediaWiki and Wikimedia for several and are intimately
familiar with the details of how it works and what's been done before.

You cannot escape that review barrier. Every open-source project has
it, and must have it, to avoid their code becoming a complete mess.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> I am skeptical of the current development process. That is because it has
> led to the current parser, which is not a proper parser at all, and includes
> horrifying syntax.

The current parser is inherited from somewhere between 2001 or 2003.
It's possibly even inherited from UseModWiki. It was developed before
the current development process was in place, and so has nothing to do
with it.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:50 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be a potentially acceptable technical solution to change the parser
> and markup syntax to make it easier to work with, as long as there was an
> automated conversion tool to shift from what's in the DB now to what would
> be there going forwards.

Correct, but it would still be a huge project. And there's only about
one person who would possibly be situated to do it right, and he has a
ton of other critical things to do.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> I believe it my be the case
> that the often bizarre idiosyncrasies of MediaWiki were implemented because
> the developers were spread out around the world, in isolation, communicating
> only over IRC and sometimes e-mail. I know there are yearly developer spurts
> at Wikimania, but I do not know about the daily development environment at
> the offices, and whether development continues in a largely isolated
> fashion.

The large majority of new code is written by volunteers in their spare
time. These volunteers are not going to be willing or able to move to
a centralized place to improve communication, and Wikimedia cannot
afford to drop them. In any event, communication over IRC, e-mail,
and websites is the universal standard in the open source world, and
has resulted in a large number of unquestionably high-quality
products, like the Linux kernel and Firefox.

I don't know what you want -- more involvement of the community (which
is distributed across the world), or less communication by purely
electronic means? You can't have both.

Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
I still believe my questions have been answered adequately. However,

> > Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code
>
> So that they can actually improve it. I don't know what alternative
> you're suggesting.

This question cannot be viewed outside of the context of the rest of the
sentence, so this answer is invalid.

> > and the community such little input?
>
> Because the community can't write code, or won't.

False: Extension Matrix.

> Features will notget implemented unless someone writes the code.
> Therefore, anyone who
> cannot write the code themselves will not get their features
> implemented unless they happen to convince someone with commit access.
> Anyone who writes reasonably good code and shows mild commitment to
> the project is given commit access and becomes a developer if they so
> choose.

That the core developers must approve the code with little to no oversight
is exactly my point. The development of MediaWiki should not be based on
what the core developers believe the flavor of the day is. It leads to
monstrosities such as the current parser. If the community funds MediaWiki
development, they should have a very strong say in what features get
implemented.

> > Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki
>
> The community is not being asked to vote on SMW that I've heard. If
> they don't show enough interest, however, it might not be worth the
> time of one of the few possible extension reviewers to try reviewing
> such a huge extension.

The developers should not be the ones deciding what their time should be
spent on. Especially if it leads to irrational choices. And I am under the
impression that various language Wikipedia's can enable SMW if they reach a
consensus. Is that wrong?

> > and yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they
> > like it?
>
> No developer can implement any feature without review by Brion.

This is a *major* problem with MediaWiki.

> If a developer were to commit a feature as large as SMW, it would be
> disabled or reverted, for the same reason as given above: nobody with
> time to review. This has happened with a number of features at
> various points, like category and image redirects/moves, and
> rev_deleted. They were all committed by developers but haven't been
> enabled (or have by now, but weren't for a pretty long time).

And yet major features to MW have been implemented on developer whim. If I
were to compile a list of such features, I might go to you for input. I feel
like I am preaching to the choir! I'm curious: of all the possible
"improvements" to MediaWiki, why do you feel the horrifying "parser"
functions were chosen? For the increase in usability? Pfffft.

> > Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
> >
> http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif
>
> Because it hasn't met review for enabling on Wikipedia, and likely
> won't without major structural changes (for performance reasons).
> Wikimedia handles 70,000 requests per second peak on 400 servers or
> so. You cannot do that if you willy-nilly enable code that hasn't
> been carefully tested in a suitably large production environment. And
> no non-Wikimedia wiki is anywhere close to the size of Wikipedia.

I do not believe the job of the core developers should be choosing what
extensions are enabled. If an extension appears to solve the usability
issue, and yet it does not scale, their job is to scale it. And when expert
PHP developers write extensions, give talks at Wikimania, provide community
support, and do what it takes to develop a thorough understanding of
MediaWiki, they should be given a larger voice. Much larger than being
ignored altogether.

> I would like to make clear that I believe the usability issue has largely
> > been solved, and the community is just waiting for the core developers,
> who
> > have kept a tight lock and key on the source code, to recognize that.
>
> Can you propose any tenable alternative development model that
> wouldn't overload the servers or crash the site when people upload
> code that's buggy or just doesn't scale? We have enough of that
> checked in with our current procedures. It's only kept at bay because
> everything is reviewed by one of a few highly trusted people, who have
> worked on MediaWiki and Wikimedia for several and are intimately
> familiar with the details of how it works and what's been done before.
>
> You cannot escape that review barrier. Every open-source project has
> it, and must have it, to avoid their code becoming a complete mess.

I do not dispute review. I dispute the fact that the core developers only
review code that suits their fancy.

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> > I am skeptical of the current development process. That is because it has
> > led to the current parser, which is not a proper parser at all, and
> includes
> > horrifying syntax.
>
> The current parser is inherited from somewhere between 2001 or 2003.
> It's possibly even inherited from UseModWiki. It was developed before
> the current development process was in place, and so has nothing to do
> with it.

This is partly false. There have been several efforts to write a proper
parser, and the current parser has undergone major structural changes. I
don't believe a computer scientist would have a huge problem writing a
proper parser. Are any of the core developers computer scientists?

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> > I believe it my be the case
> > that the often bizarre idiosyncrasies of MediaWiki were implemented
> because
> > the developers were spread out around the world, in isolation,
> communicating
> > only over IRC and sometimes e-mail. I know there are yearly developer
> spurts
> > at Wikimania, but I do not know about the daily development environment
> at
> > the offices, and whether development continues in a largely isolated
> > fashion.
>
> The large majority of new code is written by volunteers in their spare
> time. These volunteers are not going to be willing or able to move to
> a centralized place to improve communication, and Wikimedia cannot
> afford to drop them. In any event, communication over IRC, e-mail,
> and websites is the universal standard in the open source world, and
> has resulted in a large number of unquestionably high-quality
> products, like the Linux kernel and Firefox.

I do not believe that is how Firefox is developed. The linux kernel is
another story - it has proper oversight, and Torvald's "network of trust" -
15 crack developers whom he knows well and have written exceptional quality
code for him for many years.

> I don't know what you want -- more involvement of the community (which
> is distributed across the world), or less communication by purely
> electronic means? You can't have both.

The EP suggestion was only related to how the developers in the SF offices
should work, so that funds would not be wasted.
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
Simetrical, a general comment on your reply: I do not believe it is fair to
reply to parts of sentences. It lead to several replies that were clearly
out of context. I want to clarify one of my sentences that you broke into
parts:

> Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki and
yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they like
it?

I was not disputing that the community should vote: In fact, I believe all
code that is written should be a result of a) community vote and b) rational
oversight provided by the foundation, but at a higher level than the core
developers.
Re: Why is the software out of reach of the community? [ In reply to ]
I do have another question: Who approved deploying parser functions on
Wikipedia?

--
You have successfully failed!