Mailing List Archive

Question about status of access in mainland China
I see that the BBC reports their Chinese language site is again blocked
in China. They mention some other sites but nothing about Wikipedia.
Could anyone summarize what the current situation is for accessing
Wikipedia there? Especially zh.wikipedia.org, of course, but also other
languages.

--Michael Snow

Re: Question about status of access in mainland China [ In reply to ]
BBC Chinese agian unblocked......

2008/12/17 Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net>

> I see that the BBC reports their Chinese language site is again blocked
> in China. They mention some other sites but nothing about Wikipedia.
> Could anyone summarize what the current situation is for accessing
> Wikipedia there? Especially zh.wikipedia.org, of course, but also other
> languages.
>
> --Michael Snow

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://talk.blogbus.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/shizhao

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]
Re: Question about status of access in mainland China [ In reply to ]
Hi,

thanks, but could you please clarify? Is it again Blocked (and is not
accassible) or is it UNblocked (so you can visit it right now)? Sorry, it's
a little confusing :)

Thanks,

Lodewijk

Re: Question about status of access in mainland China [ In reply to ]
Michael Snow wrote:
> I see that the BBC reports their Chinese language site is again blocked
> in China. They mention some other sites but nothing about Wikipedia.
> Could anyone summarize what the current situation is for accessing
> Wikipedia there? Especially zh.wikipedia.org, of course, but also other
> languages.
>
> --Michael Snow

Hello Michael,

Wikipedia (all language versions) not blocked at the moment. There are
keyword-blocking like earlier, with a difference: Since the begin of
December the keyword-blocking is no more restrained to the titles of the
articles, but also the content, which is very crazy because for example
if you want to read the article about [[Yonghe Temple]], a tourist
attraction in Beijing, you will get blocked because in the article the
word Dalai Lama is used.

BBC was blocked two days ago and unblocked today. Deutsche Welle is
blocked and still blocked.

Ting

Re: Question about status of access in mainland China [ In reply to ]
Maybe WMF could install an archive for information about Wikimedia projects
blocking.
Ziko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Registry_of_State_Judicial_Administrations

2008/12/16 Ting Chen <wing.philopp@gmx.de>

> Michael Snow wrote:
> > I see that the BBC reports their Chinese language site is again blocked
> > in China. They mention some other sites but nothing about Wikipedia.
> > Could anyone summarize what the current situation is for accessing
> > Wikipedia there? Especially zh.wikipedia.org, of course, but also other
> > languages.
> >
> > --Michael Snow

> Hello Michael,
>
> Wikipedia (all language versions) not blocked at the moment. There are
> keyword-blocking like earlier, with a difference: Since the begin of
> December the keyword-blocking is no more restrained to the titles of the
> articles, but also the content, which is very crazy because for example
> if you want to read the article about [[Yonghe Temple]], a tourist
> attraction in Beijing, you will get blocked because in the article the
> word Dalai Lama is used.
>
> BBC was blocked two days ago and unblocked today. Deutsche Welle is
> blocked and still blocked.
>
> Ting

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde