From: Lars Aronsson <lars@aronsson.se>
Date: 2008/12/6
Subject: Re: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening
To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l@lists.wikimedia.org>

Patricia Rodrigues wrote:

> That's a wonderful idea! But many times our main problem is the
> lack of manpower in different languages to actually address
> different users.

The more I think about this human side of the problem, the more I
think we should go back to local uploading. The forwarding to
Commons could be implemented by adding a "category:Suitable for
Commons" and a bot that scans this category. Then if the image is
deleted from Commons, the local copy would still exist.

If we want Wikipedia to scale from the narrow nerd community to a
wider society, including elderly, we need to greet them with
respect and in their own language. I don't see how we could
manage this on Commons, even if uploaded images were marked with
the uploader's interface language. We will always have the narrow
nerd community too, which can act as admins and an interface
towards the international community.

--
Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)

Re: Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening [ In reply to ]
> Discussions please. (Not denial that this problem is a problem, thanks.)

If you want to encourage discussion, don't start by restricting the
discussion to only people that agree with you. You won't get any
useful results that way.

Re: Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening [ In reply to ]
2008/12/6 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:

>> Discussions please. (Not denial that this problem is a problem, thanks.)

> If you want to encourage discussion, don't start by restricting the
> discussion to only people that agree with you. You won't get any
> useful results that way.

Are you speaking hypothetically, or don't you think this is a problem?

- d.

Re: Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening [ In reply to ]
2008/12/6 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2008/12/6 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:
>
>>> Discussions please. (Not denial that this problem is a problem, thanks.)
>
>> If you want to encourage discussion, don't start by restricting the
>> discussion to only people that agree with you. You won't get any
>> useful results that way.
>

> Are you speaking hypothetically, or don't you think this is a problem?

I'm speaking hypothetically, I know very little about the subject in question.

Re: Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening [ In reply to ]
That might be a hell of a incentive to change. Before we talk about getting out the torches, I think we should see if we can make Commons functional. The incentive of being shuttered makes it more relevant to those who are in denial. I have made two suggestions on improvements. One is a training program with specific handling, i.e. no more we delete in 7 days, a different template that is more collegial. The second is to cross appoint administrators from underrepresented projects who agree to undergo a boot camp program. Thoughts?