Can somebody please help me differentiate them?

I suspect that both article and page mean same. They are used
interchangeably. Is my understanding correct?
Re: What is a page in wikipedia? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM, K.Siva Senthil
<opensource.ksivasenthil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to find out what is the difference between an article and page
> in wiki's terminology?

Usually, a "page" is used more broadly in Wikipedia terms: It can be
everything from a redirect, to a discussion page, a user page, an
image description page etc.

An article is really this ("namespace 0" for the technically minded),
[[Oxford]] is an article whereas [[User:Mbimmler]] is not, but both
are pages.

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: What is a page in wikipedia? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM, K.Siva Senthil
> <opensource.ksivasenthil@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to find out what is the difference between an article and
> page
> > in wiki's terminology?
> >

> Usually, a "page" is used more broadly in Wikipedia terms: It can be
> everything from a redirect, to a discussion page, a user page, an
> image description page etc.
>
> An article is really this ("namespace 0" for the technically minded),
> [[Oxford]] is an article whereas [[User:Mbimmler]] is not, but both
> are pages.
>
> --
> Michael Bimmler
> mbimmler@gmail.com

The MediaWiki.org page on the subject[1] seems to be fairly useful
in clarifying exactly what defines an "article" from the software's
perspective. As Michael pointed out, these (tend) to reside in NS-0
and not be redirects.

Additionally (and this is the technical side, not the community's
meaning of the word), it must contain at least 1 internal link.

-Chad

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Article
Re: What is a page in wikipedia? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:01 AM, K.Siva Senthil
<opensource.ksivasenthil@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was trying to find out what is the difference between an article and page
> in wiki's terminology?

"Article" refers to an encyclopedic text in the main namespace of a
Wikipedia; "page" refers to any given title on the wiki, including
articles, redirects, and non-existent pages. The distinction is
similar to terminology in a printed encyclopedia: every sheet of paper
is a "page", even if it's blank.

Non-Wikipedias often have different distinctions as appropriate.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)

Re: What is a page in wikipedia? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:01 AM, K.Siva Senthil
<opensource.ksivasenthil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to find out what is the difference between an article and page
> in wiki's terminology?
>
> I found this article which talks about article -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ARTICLE
>
> However, there is not such descriptive article about what a page means in
> wikipedia.
>
> Can somebody please help me differentiate them?
>
> I suspect that both article and page mean same. They are used
> interchangeably. Is my understanding correct?

For Wikipedia, they are not used the same way. There's an explanation here:
http://howwikipediaworks.com/ch01s03.html
:)

(for everyone else, we did try to address many of these basic
questions that are sort of difficult to answer with existing help
documentation in the book; I hope it's useful for those purposes).

-- phoebe