Mailing List Archive

Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing)
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> The software has been tested but not all extensions are considered ready for
> WMF production. I am establishing contacts with, among others, people at
> UNICEF to make sure that we identify the outstanding issues carefully and
> fix them efficiently. Given that the CreatePage extension requires changes
> to the skin, it may make sense to consider using a superset of monobook (I
> do not know how feasible this is).
>
> Given that the software is already being localised at Betawiki, we do not
> need to restrict ourselves to English. I understand that UNICEF uses some of
> their software in Swahili :) I would love to consider Swahili for this ...
> Kennisnet is interested in this functionality, that would make Dutch an
> option. It needs to be clear that it is not only Wikipedia projects that
> will benefit.
>
> The benefits from a more useable interface have little to do with a "simple"
> approach. Newbies are not able to contribute. Our need for more contributors
> and content is most dire in our smallest projects. Personally I am not that
> interested in using "simple" as a test environment. From my perspective, it
> should be there for all the projects that want it. Obviously, when this
> extension is localised first, it will be more effective.
>
> When we are to test this in a Wikimedia Wiki, we need to get involvement
> from Brion. It would help a lot when the WMF actively takes part in this
> collaboration and make usability a priority.
> Thanks,
> GerardM

Thinking about this... (and catching up in thread...)

There are two levels of failure with new pages on enwiki now.

Level one is technical - UNICEF study pointed that out, your
extensions are approaching that problem.

Level two is more conceptual. Does a person who wants to create a
page understand all that a "well done" page in Wikipedia should have?
Can they explain what the idea is, and why it should have a page? Do
they understand references and think about how to provide some?

To be really useful, a toolset that structures a "create page" button
response should address some or all of these questions.

Have the output be not just a page, but a series of pages, which
provide short inputs and do some useful things with them. Perhaps,
for example:

"Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. It exists to collect useful general
information about all topics and make it freely available. But there
are lots of things which don't belong in encyclopedias. Are you sure
that the topic / article you want to create is really an encyclopedia
article? Is it a word definition instead (link to Wictionary), or an
image of some sort (link to commons), or (fill in some more). If your
idea for an article is really an encyclopedia entry, click 'Yes' below
to continue."

"Can you explain what this page / article will be about? What's the
topic? Where did you learn about it? Please fill in the text box
below with your idea of what this new article is about. This will be
posted on the article's talk page to explain the purpose of the
article."

"Wikipedia relies on outside references to verify information people
post here. Can you provide the titles of some books or magazine
articles, website URLs, or other sources which confirm what you are
saying in the new article, in the text box below?"

"Wikipedia would like to have articles about all important and useful
topics, but some topics (normal people, most small businesses, etc)
just aren't important enough. Is your article something which people
in other states or countries will find interesting and useful?
Wikipedia has some policies on what we recommend as being notable
enough for articles (link to policies). If you think this article
idea is notable enough, please click 'Yes' below to continue."

"Wikipedia likes to have links from article to article. Are there
other existing articles which you think this new article should
connect to? List them below if you know of any."

"Wikipedia article start with a short introduction, then more details.
Can you summarize what this article is about in one to three
sentences, to start the article's introduction? Think about it and
then fill in the introduction below if you can. Then click on
'Continue'."

"Ok, now let's create the actual article contents.... " (filled in
template article, with introduction section inserted, and slightly
textually processed references and see also sections).

And the final step drops the article rationale entry into the talk
page as well, on article creation.

Does this process make sense?

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 02 December 2008 21:52:37 George Herbert wrote:
> Level two is more conceptual. Does a person who wants to create a
> page understand all that a "well done" page in Wikipedia should have?
> Can they explain what the idea is, and why it should have a page? Do
> they understand references and think about how to provide some?
>
> To be really useful, a toolset that structures a "create page" button
> response should address some or all of these questions.
>
> Have the output be not just a page, but a series of pages, which
> provide short inputs and do some useful things with them. Perhaps,
> for example:
>
> "Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. It exists to collect useful general
> information about all topics and make it freely available. But there
> are lots of things which don't belong in encyclopedias. Are you sure
> that the topic / article you want to create is really an encyclopedia
> article? Is it a word definition instead (link to Wictionary), or an
> image of some sort (link to commons), or (fill in some more). If your
> idea for an article is really an encyclopedia entry, click 'Yes' below
> to continue."
>
> "Can you explain what this page / article will be about? What's the
> topic? Where did you learn about it? Please fill in the text box
> below with your idea of what this new article is about. This will be
> posted on the article's talk page to explain the purpose of the
> article."
>
> "Wikipedia relies on outside references to verify information people
> post here. Can you provide the titles of some books or magazine
> articles, website URLs, or other sources which confirm what you are
> saying in the new article, in the text box below?"
>
> "Wikipedia would like to have articles about all important and useful
> topics, but some topics (normal people, most small businesses, etc)
> just aren't important enough. Is your article something which people
> in other states or countries will find interesting and useful?
> Wikipedia has some policies on what we recommend as being notable
> enough for articles (link to policies). If you think this article
> idea is notable enough, please click 'Yes' below to continue."
>
> "Wikipedia likes to have links from article to article. Are there
> other existing articles which you think this new article should
> connect to? List them below if you know of any."
>
> "Wikipedia article start with a short introduction, then more details.
> Can you summarize what this article is about in one to three
> sentences, to start the article's introduction? Think about it and
> then fill in the introduction below if you can. Then click on
> 'Continue'."
>
> "Ok, now let's create the actual article contents.... " (filled in
> template article, with introduction section inserted, and slightly
> textually processed references and see also sections).
>
> And the final step drops the article rationale entry into the talk
> page as well, on article creation.
>

> Does this process make sense?

tl;dr as I'm afraid most people would say :(

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Does this process make sense?
>

> Yes very much, people like wizards (like the nice upload wizard on
commons). new article wizard would be a great addition if someone make it.

As for Nikola's "too long, didn't read", you will always have the classic
way of creating a new page (things like this and WYSIWYGE should be
optional).

--
--alnokta
Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
So if the question to any of these questions is not positive a person should
not contribute ?

I would strongly argue that when a valid subject is identified and a plain
text of one or two paragraphs has been written we already have a winner. You
still want wikification, you still want interwiki links, you still want
illustrations and you still want references. We call this a stub and stubs
are good and can be improved at a later date.

I understand where you are coming from, you want to see Pallas Athena rise
fully armoured from Zeus's head. The Greek Gods do not exist. Not all
contributors write perfect articles in one go. Requiring Gods to participate
will drive ordinary people away. The process of writing the perfect
Wikipedia article is not obvious and it takes time for people to become
comfortable with it. Some time ago I was asked to write an article on the
English Wikipedia on imho a valid topic. I decided against it because I am
uncomfortable with the straight jacket that is imposed on me.

So the conceptual question is, how do we want what to achieve and do we want
other people to participate ?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> So if the question to any of these questions is not positive a person should
> not contribute ?
>
> I would strongly argue that when a valid subject is identified and a plain
> text of one or two paragraphs has been written we already have a winner. You
> still want wikification, you still want interwiki links, you still want
> illustrations and you still want references. We call this a stub and stubs
> are good and can be improved at a later date.
>
> I understand where you are coming from, you want to see Pallas Athena rise
> fully armoured from Zeus's head. The Greek Gods do not exist. Not all
> contributors write perfect articles in one go. Requiring Gods to participate
> will drive ordinary people away. The process of writing the perfect
> Wikipedia article is not obvious and it takes time for people to become
> comfortable with it. Some time ago I was asked to write an article on the
> English Wikipedia on imho a valid topic. I decided against it because I am
> uncomfortable with the straight jacket that is imposed on me.
>
> So the conceptual question is, how do we want what to achieve and do we want
> other people to participate ?
> Thanks,
> GerardM

There are a range of options, going from "if they don't understand
those questions don't let them add the article", which is the most
severe response, to opening up a new window with a context specific
help page to explain what the issue is, or going to an intermediate
(more detailed) explanation page that then links on to the next step
anyways.

The point is that those are the questions that anyone should be
thinking about if they're going to add an article, whether they're a
brand new user or an experienced one. Brand new ones obviously lack
the context and framework to know the questions and issues ahead of
time... that's why we set up a framework to help them answer the
questions.

The framework makes them aware of the questions and issues, and if
done properly helps them understand and respond with appropriate
answers. If they really shouldn't be creating an article (it's
something that really shouldn't have an article, seriously not notable
or grossly non encyclopedic or has no references at all) then it can
gently point that out and perhaps suggest that they not do so.

Obviously anyone could hit "back" and then click yes anyways - we
can't force them to not create an article if they don't answer a
question, but if we give them a framework which lets them know what
things matter then they are more likely to get the things that matter
correct.

The question of "should the framework discourage if unprepared" is
completely separate from the question of "should there be a framework
to structure the new users page creation engagement". I see no
downside to the latter. The former, I know some people who will be
more happy to discourage, but I'd personally prefer to educate and let
people go ahead anyways if they chose to.

-george

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
The major weakness may be the attitude of some Wikipedians, who treat
newbies rudely as if we would have an infinite reservoir of them. Our ideal
of openess ("everyone can edit") has as an implication that new people come
in and make things we experienced Wikipedians consider as wrong. Pacience
and friendliness must be the answer.

Any tools that make editing easier are welcome, but that's only one of the
problems. Yes, "conceptual" is the other one. And, we Wikipedians should
look out when fellow Wikipedians are rude to newbies and try to set things
right.

In many Wikipedia language editions help pages are poor. I often cannot even
blame newbies for having not read help pages that do not exist or explain
well.:-)

Ziko

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde
Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
This is at least a three-edged problem:
1) New users who don't understand WP policy/standards/community/expectations .
2) Lack of appropriate new user help info (when creating articles
particularly, elsewhere as well).
3) Experienced users biting new users.

The first one is just a fact of life. We can and should deal with it
via appropriate responses to the other two (polite, friendly
engagement by experienced users, and building better help materials,
frameworks for new pages, etc).

-george

-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
Nothing personal, but when tl;dr is given as a response, it indicates
that there is something certainly substantial and probably interesting
to be seen and understood--and possibly even used as the basis for
action -- as in this case/.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
2008/12/3 David Goodman <dgoodmanny@gmail.com>:

> Nothing personal, but when tl;dr is given as a response, it indicates
> that there is something certainly substantial and probably interesting
> to be seen and understood--and possibly even used as the basis for
> action -- as in this case/.

Or it indicates that whoever's trying to make the point needs to write
more concisely, at least leading with a summary good enough to hook
the reader into reading the rest.

tl;dr = writer fail.

- d.

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:28 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/3 David Goodman <dgoodmanny@gmail.com>:
>
>> Nothing personal, but when tl;dr is given as a response, it indicates
>> that there is something certainly substantial and probably interesting
>> to be seen and understood--and possibly even used as the basis for
>> action -- as in this case/.
>

> Or it indicates that whoever's trying to make the point needs to write
> more concisely, at least leading with a summary good enough to hook
> the reader into reading the rest.
>
> tl;dr = writer fail.

Reasonable - I was stream-of-consciousness expanding on an idea,
probably should have taken that level of detail offline to wikitech-l
or some such.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
My sense was that Nikola was using tl:dr to respond not to George's e-mail,
but to the process he described for creating a new page. I could be wrong,
though.

Nathan

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/12/3 David Goodman <dgoodmanny@gmail.com>:
>
> > Nothing personal, but when tl;dr is given as a response, it indicates
> > that there is something certainly substantial and probably interesting
> > to be seen and understood--and possibly even used as the basis for
> > action -- as in this case/.
>

> Or it indicates that whoever's trying to make the point needs to write
> more concisely, at least leading with a summary good enough to hook
> the reader into reading the rest.
>
> tl;dr = writer fail.
>

> - d.

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
Nathan wrote:
> My sense was that Nikola was using tl:dr to respond not to George's e-mail,
> but to the process he described for creating a new page. I could be wrong,
> though.

I wanted to say that due to the length of the text, new users' response
would likely be tl;dr. I haven't realized it would be broken over
several pages. But even so, I can see people giving up somewhere in the
process...

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
>> My sense was that Nikola was using tl:dr to respond not to George's e-mail,
>> but to the process he described for creating a new page. I could be wrong,
>> though.
>
> I wanted to say that due to the length of the text, new users' response
> would likely be tl;dr. I haven't realized it would be broken over
> several pages. But even so, I can see people giving up somewhere in the
> process...

Not that it's George's fault, I myself run into similar problems
whenever I try imagining something better than current instructions.

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:
> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
>> Nathan wrote:
>>> My sense was that Nikola was using tl:dr to respond not to George's e-mail,
>>> but to the process he described for creating a new page. I could be wrong,
>>> though.
>>
>> I wanted to say that due to the length of the text, new users' response
>> would likely be tl;dr. I haven't realized it would be broken over
>> several pages. But even so, I can see people giving up somewhere in the
>> process...
>
> Not that it's George's fault, I myself run into similar problems
> whenever I try imagining something better than current instructions.

I think these are valid concerns about my idea.

I would respond with "But you can always create pages the existing way" 8-)

But some new users won't want that much framework either. I don't
know how many different methods/paths we can set up for different
levels and expectations of users (and being aware of things like
screen real estate, etc).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
2008/12/5 George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>:

> I think these are valid concerns about my idea.
> I would respond with "But you can always create pages the existing way" 8-)
> But some new users won't want that much framework either. I don't
> know how many different methods/paths we can set up for different
> levels and expectations of users (and being aware of things like
> screen real estate, etc).

I've occasionally over the years suggested on wikien-l that we prefill
article pages with an article template, e.g.

---O<---cut here---O<---
First sentence explaining your '''article topic''' with the topic in bold.

Second sentence introducing it more. Explain to the reader why this is
important enough to need an article.

== Subheading ==

Some text explaining the subheading. Add more subheadings and text as needed.

== References ==

What sources back up the information you've written above? Please list
them here. Be able to back up everything you've written.

== External links ==

List here the one or two very best web links possible in the world on
this topic.
---O<---cut here---O<---

Unfortunately, the idea's never gotten any traction, and discussion
has rapidly gone all bikeshed [1] on the precise content of the
hypothetical template and how this is horribly restrictive of
established editors and the Man's keeping them down, etc.

A pity, as I think new en:wp contributors seeing the above when they
start an article would lead to a lot less articles being shot on
sight.

[1] http://bikeshed.org/

- d.

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
I was just thinking how that would be a good idea - boxes of text, where you
fill in the introduction, the basic content and the references in "content
required" fields. It wouldn't be necessary for regular contributors (perhaps
it could be turned off for autoconfirmed), but if anything it seems very
strange that we don't already try to "shape" new articles in this way when
they come from new accounts and IP editors.

Nathan

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
This [1] is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. David, has this been
proposed, discussed, modeled and rejected in the past? (It seems like it
must have, for something that is pretty common around the web).

[1]: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Add_an_article_-_basic.JPG

Nathan
Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
2008/12/5 Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com>:

> This [1] is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. David, has this been
> proposed, discussed, modeled and rejected in the past? (It seems like it
> must have, for something that is pretty common around the web).
> [1]: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Add_an_article_-_basic.JPG

Not that I know of. A preloaded text box would do much the same job, I
expect. Note how I don't say anything about format of references, etc
- just enter the content.

Unfortunately, getting community consensus for any change whatsoever
on en:wp is all but impossible these days. Happenstance conditions are
treated as rock-solid intention.

- d.

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
We could just build the thing and then ask permission to put in the
link on the default UI..

Forgiveness easier than permission, etc etc.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:25 AM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/5 Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com>:
>
>> This [1] is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. David, has this been
>> proposed, discussed, modeled and rejected in the past? (It seems like it
>> must have, for something that is pretty common around the web).
>> [1]: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Add_an_article_-_basic.JPG
>

> Not that I know of. A preloaded text box would do much the same job, I
> expect. Note how I don't say anything about format of references, etc
> - just enter the content.
>
> Unfortunately, getting community consensus for any change whatsoever
> on en:wp is all but impossible these days. Happenstance conditions are
> treated as rock-solid intention.
>

> - d.

-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
2008/12/5 George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>:

> We could just build the thing and then ask permission to put in the
> link on the default UI..

Yeah. If there were a way to put preload text into the edit box when
you hit "edit" on a nonexistent page, that'd be the easy way.

It'd certainly make the new page patrollers happy.

- d.

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> I've occasionally over the years suggested on wikien-l that we prefill
> article pages with an article template, e.g.
>
> ---O<---cut here---O<---
> First sentence explaining your '''article topic''' with the topic in bold.
>
> Second sentence introducing it more. Explain to the reader why this is
> important enough to need an article.
>
> == Subheading ==
>
> Some text explaining the subheading. Add more subheadings and text as needed.
>
> == References ==
>
> What sources back up the information you've written above? Please list
> them here. Be able to back up everything you've written.
>
> == External links ==
>
> List here the one or two very best web links possible in the world on
> this topic.
> ---O<---cut here---O<---
>
> Unfortunately, the idea's never gotten any traction, and discussion
> has rapidly gone all bikeshed [1] on the precise content of the
> hypothetical template and how this is horribly restrictive of
> established editors and the Man's keeping them down, etc.
>
> A pity, as I think new en:wp contributors seeing the above when they
> start an article would lead to a lot less articles being shot on
> sight.
>

> [1] http://bikeshed.org/
You may want to check out the page the English Wiktionary has for failed
searches: <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Noexactmatch>. If you
do a search for something like "xxxxx" that has no article
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=xxxxx&go=Go) and
click on "Basic" (or whichever) you can see the preloaded article it
gives you, e.g.
<http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?action=edit&preload=Template%3Anew_en_basic&editintro=Template%3Anew_en_noun_intro&title=xxxxx&create=Basic>.
This is especially important on Wiktionary where the format is more
important and inflexible than Wikipedia, and it's also more esoteric. I
think English Wiktionary is not the only Wiktionary to do something like
this.

Dominic

Re: Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing) [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/12/5 Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com>:
>
>> This [1] is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. David, has this been
>> proposed, discussed, modeled and rejected in the past? (It seems like it
>> must have, for something that is pretty common around the web).
>> [1]: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Add_an_article_-_basic.JPG
>

> Not that I know of. A preloaded text box would do much the same job, I
> expect. Note how I don't say anything about format of references, etc
> - just enter the content.

The article wizard on en.wp that Greg linked a while ago (which has been
in a state of under-construction-ness for some time now) and a version
of which the Slovenian Wikipedia uses does this. It doesn't force people
to use the wizard (the Slovenian one just suggests people use it, an
en.wp version would likely do the same) but it does give the option.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?action=edit&preload=Wikipedia%3AArticle+wizard%2Fcompany%2Fpreload&editintro=Wikipedia%3AArticle+wizard%2Fcompany%2Fintro&title=Test1234>
is an example of the enwiki one, the Slovenian one is
<http://sl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?action=edit&preload=Wikipedija%3ANapi%C5%A1i+%C4%8Dlanek%2Fpodjetje%2Fpreload&editintro=Wikipedija%3ANapi%C5%A1i_%C4%8Dlanek%2Feditintro&title=Test1234>
- it even provides example article text.

> Unfortunately, getting community consensus for any change whatsoever
> on en:wp is all but impossible these days. Happenstance conditions are
> treated as rock-solid intention.

As long as its optional, people probably won't mind that much.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)