Mailing List Archive

Trouble in Ireland
I don't know whether this is a reasonable place to put this problem,
but the articles on Ireland on en.wikipedia.org need a serious look by
people with a neutral view. Right now we've got a clique of about 10
editors filibustering and preventing any change to the article naming
conventions. It's driving us mad, and preventing the articles
themselves from being improved. Somehow I think we need binding
arbitration.

A number of us think that the most sensible proposal is to move
[[Ireland]] to [[Ireland (island)]], [[Ireland (disambiguation)]] to
[[Ireland]], and [[Republic of Ireland]] to [[Ireland (state)]].
That's a compromise over an alternative, which is to move [[Ireland]]
to [[Ireland (island)]], keep [[Ireland (disambiguation)]] where it
is, and move [[Republic of Ireland]] to [[Ireland]]. If any of you
would like to take a look, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ireland_(disambiguation)#Proposed_move_to_Ireland
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ireland#Proposed_move_to_Ireland_.28island.29
.

At least I'd like advice as to how we can get out of this mess.

Michael Everson

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
Amusing. I am strongly reminded of the fights over Macedonia and Liancourt Rocks. Except on those occasions nobody had any illusions that the participants on all side were any more than puerile time-wasters. Just because this lot have greater fluency in the English language doesn't mean that they're any more rational.

CM

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
Outside of those involved, I don't think many harbor those same
illusions here either.

-Dan

Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:50:38 +0000
> From: Christiano Moreschi <moreschiwikiman@hotmail.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland
>
> Amusing. I am strongly reminded of the fights over Macedonia and
> Liancourt Rocks. Except on those occasions nobody had any illusions
> that the participants on all side were any more than puerile time-
> wasters. Just because this lot have greater fluency in the English
> language doesn't mean that they're any more rational.

Thanks for not caring. That doesn't help us get to a solution. :-(

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
Again, this is not the place for it. I see you've brought it up with Jimbo
and elsewhere, so please stop canvassing a EN-WP dispute in places it
doesn't belong.

David
Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
2008/11/26 David Yellope <sirfozzie@gmail.com>:

> Again, this is not the place for it. I see you've brought it up with Jimbo
> and elsewhere, so please stop canvassing a EN-WP dispute in places it
> doesn't belong.

I've been suggesting on wikien-l something like trying to work out,
with actual numbers, what article readers would reasonably be
expecting where. This led to suggesting an idea on wikitech-l on how
to gather internal referer logs (where people go from one article to
another, or what searches lead to what articles) in a way that won't
breach privacy. Such information would be of great general use in
seeing what readers actually want and do, rather than attempting to
guess. So it's far from a fruitless discussion.

- d.

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
2008/11/26 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> I've been suggesting on wikien-l something like trying to work out,
> with actual numbers, what article readers would reasonably be
> expecting where. This led to suggesting an idea on wikitech-l on how
> to gather internal referer logs (where people go from one article to
> another, or what searches lead to what articles) in a way that won't
> breach privacy. Such information would be of great general use in
> seeing what readers actually want and do, rather than attempting to
> guess. So it's far from a fruitless discussion.

You don't need to. You just rig it so that to go from one article to
the other involves going via a redirect then measure the traffic on
that redirect. This was I understand done with respect to some links
on the main page at one point. Doesn't require dev involvement.

--
geni

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
I don't think that this is the right list for this matter as this is Wikipedia's problem. That being said, I mostly agree, but would leave ROI where it is as both North and the Republic are states.

________________________________

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
If we could get something that reads the searches and tabulates the most frequently not found articles, we could better target our account creation efforts.

________________________________

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
2008/11/27 Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com>:

> If we could get something that reads the searches and tabulates the most frequently not found articles, we could better target our account creation efforts.

Hence my suggestion on wikitech-l :-)

Logging referers as well as the name of the page hit wouldn't load the
current logging significantly. Only logging referers that are in
article space or Special:Search (with the search) would guard against
most possible privacy problems. (Greg Maxwell noted that people may
enter private identifying data into Special:Search which would then be
logged. Possibly might warrant a warning note on Special:Search.)

What it needs now is someone writing code to log and to analyse and
present the logs, and the code being approved ;-)

- d.

Re: Trouble in Ireland [ In reply to ]
The thing that I am thinking of would only list things are searched over 150 times in a set period, no privacy concerns necessary