Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia
Hi,

For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.

Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
French speaking donation page ?

Thank you

Anthere

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
> switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.
>
> Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
> French speaking donation page ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Anthere

by the way, the spanish wp also has english version.

And the deutsch wp has a danish version.

Thanks

Ant

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2008/11/12 Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
>> switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
>> French speaking donation page ?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Anthere
>>

> by the way, the spanish wp also has english version.
>
> And the deutsch wp has a danish version.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ant

I'm told on IRC that it's being worked on, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
>> switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
>> French speaking donation page ?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Anthere
>>

> by the way, the spanish wp also has english version.
>
> And the deutsch wp has a danish version.

This is a known error and it is being worked on by the sysadmins. We
hope to have it fixed very soon.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Casey Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Florence Devouard wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
>>> switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
>>> French speaking donation page ?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Anthere
>>>
>> by the way, the spanish wp also has english version.
>>
>> And the deutsch wp has a danish version.
>>

> This is a known error and it is being worked on by the sysadmins. We
> hope to have it fixed very soon.

It seems to me that Casey, you are handling a lot of the fundraising (to
the point of talking frequently of "we").

So, I have a suggestion. When the Foundation proposed to chapters to be
part of the fundraiser, it asked us a list of specifications to respect
and mandatory reporting. Amongst the requirements, each chapter had to
give the name of a contact person. So, there should be half a dozen
contact people now. But it does not seem that the information is
circulating very well between all parties involved.

What about setting up a mailing list for the duration of the fundraiser,
where all contact people and WMF could communicate on the issue of the
fundraiser ? How do you feel about that ?

Ant

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> This is a known error and it is being worked on by the sysadmins. We
>> hope to have it fixed very soon.

Thanks to Tim, this should all be fixed. Give it a few minutes for
all the squids to update (and purge your cache), if there are more
problems -- please speak up! :-)

> It seems to me that Casey, you are handling a lot of the fundraising (to
> the point of talking frequently of "we").
>
> So, I have a suggestion. When the Foundation proposed to chapters to be
> part of the fundraiser, it asked us a list of specifications to respect
> and mandatory reporting. Amongst the requirements, each chapter had to
> give the name of a contact person. So, there should be half a dozen
> contact people now. But it does not seem that the information is
> circulating very well between all parties involved.
>
> What about setting up a mailing list for the duration of the fundraiser,
> where all contact people and WMF could communicate on the issue of the
> fundraiser ? How do you feel about that ?

As far as I know, Erik has been handling the chapters aspect of the
Fundraiser, CC'ing to him.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Casey Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> This is a known error and it is being worked on by the sysadmins. We
>>> hope to have it fixed very soon.
>
> Thanks to Tim, this should all be fixed. Give it a few minutes for
> all the squids to update (and purge your cache), if there are more
> problems -- please speak up! :-)
>
>> It seems to me that Casey, you are handling a lot of the fundraising (to
>> the point of talking frequently of "we").
>>
>> So, I have a suggestion. When the Foundation proposed to chapters to be
>> part of the fundraiser, it asked us a list of specifications to respect
>> and mandatory reporting. Amongst the requirements, each chapter had to
>> give the name of a contact person. So, there should be half a dozen
>> contact people now. But it does not seem that the information is
>> circulating very well between all parties involved.
>>
>> What about setting up a mailing list for the duration of the fundraiser,
>> where all contact people and WMF could communicate on the issue of the
>> fundraiser ? How do you feel about that ?
>>

> As far as I know, Erik has been handling the chapters aspect of the
> Fundraiser, CC'ing to him.

Erik is on holidays

Ant

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
> switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.
>
> Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
> French speaking donation page ?

Sorry about that. It was a bug in Language.php that I introduced at 23:35.
I thought I had fixed it at 00:20 UTC, but it wasn't fixed and nobody
re-reported it on #wikimedia-tech until 01:11 UTC. I was busy in the
interim with a number of other serious site issues.

Note that the problem wasn't a lack of respect for the French language,
rather it was accidental and near-complete breakage of MediaWiki's
internationalisation functionality.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Tim Starling wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some reasons, the banner at the top of the French wikipedia has been
>> switched to the english version. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Who is able to switch it back to the French version and landing to the
>> French speaking donation page ?
>
> Sorry about that. It was a bug in Language.php that I introduced at 23:35.
> I thought I had fixed it at 00:20 UTC, but it wasn't fixed and nobody
> re-reported it on #wikimedia-tech until 01:11 UTC. I was busy in the
> interim with a number of other serious site issues.

Nod, thank you for the clarification Tim

> Note that the problem wasn't a lack of respect for the French language,
> rather it was accidental and near-complete breakage of MediaWiki's
> internationalisation functionality.

I saw that. I know enough of German to make the difference from Danish ;-)

Ant

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]

>>> What about setting up a mailing list for the duration of the fundraiser,
>>> where all contact people and WMF could communicate on the issue of the
>>> fundraiser ? How do you feel about that ?
>>>

>> As far as I know, Erik has been handling the chapters aspect of the
>> Fundraiser, CC'ing to him.
>>

> Erik is on holidays
>
> Ant
Welcome to the wikibureaucracy Anthere. It gets worse and worse. Also on
the projects the bureaucracy tends to want to stick to procedures and
rules they created :( The times of be bold and do something is long
over. It is now pencillpushing all the way ....

Waerth
Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Waerth <waerth@asianet.co.th> wrote:

> Welcome to the wikibureaucracy Anthere. It gets worse and worse. Also on
> the projects the bureaucracy tends to want to stick to procedures and
> rules they created :( The times of be bold and do something is long
> over. It is now pencillpushing all the way ....
>
> Waerth

It's this defeatist attitude that has made being bold go out of style.
Screw the bureaucracy, I say. Shred the rulebooks (or at least
delete practically everything from the project namespace) and
do what is right rather than what is popular or follows the rules to
their letter.

-Chad
Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Chad hett schreven:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Waerth <waerth@asianet.co.th> wrote:
>

>> Welcome to the wikibureaucracy Anthere. It gets worse and worse. Also on
>> the projects the bureaucracy tends to want to stick to procedures and
>> rules they created :( The times of be bold and do something is long
>> over. It is now pencillpushing all the way ....
>>
>> Waerth
>>

> It's this defeatist attitude that has made being bold go out of style.
> Screw the bureaucracy, I say. Shred the rulebooks (or at least
> delete practically everything from the project namespace) and
> do what is right rather than what is popular or follows the rules to
> their letter.
>
> -Chad
Autocracy has been successful for millenia, democracy prooves to be
successful since more than 200 years and communism made it 70 years and
some communist systems are still around. But do you know any stable and
successful system of anarchy? I don't know any. A system without
structures cannot be stable.
I too don't like bureaucracy and I would love a system, that is based on
common sense only. But that implies that common sense exists and is
widespread. "Do what is right rather than what is popular" If its
popular obviously people think it is right. That will inevitably lead to
edit warring.
You can't live without rules. Rules are needed. Instead of lamenting
about the rules (or planning anti-rulist revolutions ;-) ) we should
rather spend our time on improving and optimizing the rules. Get rid of
rules which have no justified purpose and create new rules if they have
a justified purpose.

Rules limit your freedom, but it's the rules that create and ensure your
freedom in the first place.

Marcus Buck

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2008/11/13 Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org>:
> Rules limit your freedom, but it's the rules that create and ensure your
> freedom in the first place.

They also provide a useful test of how original you are being. If
existing rules cover what you are doing you are probably not being
that original.

--
geni

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
geni schrieb:
> 2008/11/13 Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org>:
>
>> Rules limit your freedom, but it's the rules that create and ensure your
>> freedom in the first place.
>>

> They also provide a useful test of how original you are being. If
> existing rules cover what you are doing you are probably not being
> that original.
That's most likely true for patterns, but not necessarily for rules.

Marcus Buck

Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's this defeatist attitude that has made being bold go out of style.
> Screw the bureaucracy, I say. Shred the rulebooks (or at least
> delete practically everything from the project namespace) and
> do what is right rather than what is popular or follows the rules to
> their letter.

That will work for a while. Then someone will start reverting you, and
your only choices are to stop what you're doing or get blocked for
edit warring.

--
André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
Re: Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's this defeatist attitude that has made being bold go out of style.
> > Screw the bureaucracy, I say. Shred the rulebooks (or at least
> > delete practically everything from the project namespace) and
> > do what is right rather than what is popular or follows the rules to
> > their letter.
>
> That will work for a while. Then someone will start reverting you, and
> your only choices are to stop what you're doing or get blocked for
> edit warring.
>
> --
> André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com

I'm willing to get blocked if I know what I'm doing is right. I wouldn't
exactly lose sleep over it either...

-Chad