Mailing List Archive

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
> CC-BY-NC and ND are unlikely to die but I suspect there will over time
> be an increased understanding of the differences between free and
> semi-free licenses. Dropping wikipedia onto the free side of the line
> should help with that.

I hope facts will turn you right. :)

Kind regards,
Mathieu Stumpf

---
Association Culture Libre
http://culture-libre.org

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:23 AM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> CC-BY-NC and ND are unlikely to die but I suspect there will over time
> be an increased understanding of the differences between free and
> semi-free licenses. Dropping wikipedia onto the free side of the line
> should help with that.

CC-BY-NC and ND may have some "appropriate" uses, but not for
reference works. I think in the future it might be good if Creative
Commons considered "individualizing" their several licenses, so that
they have clearly different names (I'm fond of color coding, like
"Creative Commons Red license") and maybe even have "recommendations"
about which types of licenses may be most appropriate for different
kinds of subject matter.

Thanks,
Pharos

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/4 Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com>:

> Problem with the GFDL

I think you just answered the FAQ question on the problem. This needs
to go in the FAQ. In full.

- d.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/9 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> 2008/11/4 Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com>:
>
>> Problem with the GFDL
>

> I think you just answered the FAQ question on the problem. This needs
> to go in the FAQ. In full.

Or not... we don't want people to run screaming from the FAQ! It does
make the point rather well, though - gmail wouldn't even show me the
whole message without requiring me to load it in a separate tab.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> More information will follow later this month as we develop the
> re-licensing proposal. Let me know if you have any immediate
> questions.

A brief update - Mike drafted an FAQ which we're going to release very
soon, and hopefully we'll be able to put together the full proposal
before the new year.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi Erik,

thanks for your update. Sorry for not waiting for the FAQ, but could you
shortly mention to whom this proposal will be directed? The Board or the
Community?

Lodewijk

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/12/2 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
> thanks for your update. Sorry for not waiting for the FAQ, but could you
> shortly mention to whom this proposal will be directed? The Board or the
> Community?

The community of all languages and all projects.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> 2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
>> More information will follow later this month as we develop the
>> re-licensing proposal. Let me know if you have any immediate
>> questions.
>
> A brief update - Mike drafted an FAQ which we're going to release very
> soon, and hopefully we'll be able to put together the full proposal
> before the new year.

About FAQ: It would be useful if FAQ would consist some kind of
[licensing] recommendations for non-Wikimedia wiki projects.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/12/3 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> 2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
>>> More information will follow later this month as we develop the
>>> re-licensing proposal. Let me know if you have any immediate
>>> questions.
>>
>> A brief update - Mike drafted an FAQ which we're going to release very
>> soon, and hopefully we'll be able to put together the full proposal
>> before the new year.
>
> About FAQ: It would be useful if FAQ would consist some kind of
> [licensing] recommendations for non-Wikimedia wiki projects.

How do you mean? Details of what kind of licenses other projects would
need to use in order for content to be shared between them and
Wikimedia projects? If so, I agree, that would be useful information.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller, 02/12/2008 18:30:
> A brief update - Mike drafted an FAQ which we're going to release very
> soon, and hopefully we'll be able to put together the full proposal
> before the new year.
In it.wiki there are many uncertainties on splitting
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Splitting). Will the CC-BY-SA
change the procedure (links, templates, reproduction of the history in
the talk, etc.)?

Nemo

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/3 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> A brief update - Mike drafted an FAQ which we're going to release very
>>> soon, and hopefully we'll be able to put together the full proposal
>>> before the new year.
>>
>> About FAQ: It would be useful if FAQ would consist some kind of
>> [licensing] recommendations for non-Wikimedia wiki projects.
>
> How do you mean? Details of what kind of licenses other projects would
> need to use in order for content to be shared between them and
> Wikimedia projects? If so, I agree, that would be useful information.

Yes.