Mailing List Archive

GFDL 1.3 Release
All -

As has been pointed out, the Free Software Foundation has now released
version 1.3 of the GNU Free Documentation License, which is the
standard text license used by all Wikimedia Foundation projects with
the exception of Wikinews. The updated license text can be found here:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

[.If you are still seeing version 1.2 on that URL, you may need to
clear your browser cache.]

We are very grateful to the Free Software Foundation for working with us
to develop this re-licensing language.

The only change is the addition of section 11, "Relicensing". This
section permits "massive multi-author collaboration websites" (i.e.
wikis and wiki-like websites) to relicense GFDL content to the
CC-BY-SA, under two key constraints:

* Newly added externally originating GFDL content cannot be relicensed
after November 1, 2008. (In other words, we should stop importing GFDL
content from non-Wikimedia sources, unless they plan to switch as
well. I believe Wikia is planning to switch, but will confirm that shortly.
Please feel free to begin reaching out to other relevant GFDL sources.)

* The relicensing clause will expire on August 1, 2009.

Relicensing can only be done by the operator of such a website, not by
any other party. So the Wikimedia Foundation can choose to re-license
Wikipedia, Wikibooks, etc., but no other party can. We will be able to
do so because most GFDL-licensed content implicitly or explicitly
permits re-use under "any later version" of the GFDL.

== Why wasn't this license available for review earlier? ==

The restriction on externally originating FDL content is intended to
prevent bulk-import and bulk-relicensing of FDL content from external
sources. This is intended to protect the autonomy of site operators in
making a re-licensing decision, and to prevent FDL-licensed software
documentation from being re-licensed without the permission of the
authors. This was a key condition for the Free Software Foundation to
agree to this change. While an earlier draft was published, the
specifics of the migration process have been negotiated privately in
order to not allow for such systematic bulk-relicensing by interested
third parties.

== What's next? ==

* Later this month, we will post a re-licensing proposal for all
Wikimedia wikis which are currently licensed under the GFDL. It will
be collaboratively developed on meta.wiki and I will announce it here.
This re-licensing proposal will include a simplified dual-licensing
proposition, under which content will continue to be indefinitely
available under GFDL, except for articles which include CC-BY-SA-only
additions from external sources. (The terms of service, under this
proposal, will be modified to require dual-licensing permission
for any new changes.)

It will be the obligation of re-users to validate whether an article
includes CC-BY-SA-only changes -- dual licensing should not
be a burden on editors. This is also not intended to be bidirectional,
i.e., merging in GFDL-only text will not be possible.

We _will_ propose to continue to permit GFDL 1.2-only media uploads
for the forseeable future, to address concerns regarding strong and
weak copyleft, until such concerns are fully resolved to the satisfaction
of community members. However, GFDL 1.2-or-later media are
expected to be migrated to CC-BY-SA under this proposal.
It is expected that we will launch a community-wide referendum on this
proposal, where a majority will constitute sufficient support for
re-licensing.

* As a heads up, communities should be more careful with importing
external FDL content, unless they know for sure that it will
be migrated to CC-BY-SA in the near future. This will not affect
Wikimedia-internal copying transactions, as either all or no
GFDL-licensed Wikimedia wikis will be switched to CC-BY-SA.
If some GFDL 1.2 content that cannot be migrated later is imported
by accident, that should not present any great difficulty -- we will
simply remove it as we would remove any other problematic
copyrighted content.

More information will follow later this month as we develop the
re-licensing proposal. Let me know if you have any immediate
questions.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
A question about the format of the proposal to implement the new license on
all Wikimedia projects. Will a local consensus be necessary for the
migration of any projects, or simply the Wikimedia community-wide consensus
as demonstrated by a survey on meta? What is the contingency plan for when
the meta community agrees to the migration, but specific projects have a
consensus that is strongly in opposition? I don't see that being a common
outcome, but it does seem possible.

Thanks for your work on this, Erik, and for being very responsive to
questions and criticism.

Nathan
Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> == Why wasn't this license available for review earlier? ==
>
> The restriction on externally originating FDL content is intended to
> prevent bulk-import and bulk-relicensing of FDL content from external
> sources. This is intended to protect the autonomy of site operators in
> making a re-licensing decision, and to prevent FDL-licensed software
> documentation from being re-licensed without the permission of the
> authors. This was a key condition for the Free Software Foundation to
> agree to this change.
[snip]

Substantially similar language was in a FDL draft posted to the FSF
site in September 2006.
(http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gfdl-draft-1.html)

One of the results was some people importing the GNU manuals into a
wiki. Though I suppose the "invariant sections" and "cover texts"
limitations remained that particular point is still addresed this
point.

As such the above FAQ entry is incorrect.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
> * Later this month, we will post a re-licensing proposal for all
> Wikimedia wikis which are currently licensed under the GFDL. It will
> be collaboratively developed on meta.wiki and I will announce it here.
> This re-licensing proposal will include a simplified dual-licensing
> proposition, under which content will continue to be indefinitely
> available under GFDL, except for articles which include CC-BY-SA-only
> additions from external sources. (The terms of service, under this
> proposal, will be modified to require dual-licensing permission
> for any new changes.)

What's the plan for making a final decision? There will probably be
too many people involved to ever achieve anything close to a
consensus. Are you planning a referendum?

> It will be the obligation of re-users to validate whether an article
> includes CC-BY-SA-only changes -- dual licensing should not
> be a burden on editors. This is also not intended to be bidirectional,
> i.e., merging in GFDL-only text will not be possible.

How will that work? If the terms of service have been modified, how
does one upload CC-BY-SA only content without agreeing to those terms
of service? There needs to be some way for re-users to know what
license things are under, you can't just leave it to them since it's
impossible for them to find out if it doesn't say anywhere.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com>:
> A question about the format of the proposal to implement the new license on
> all Wikimedia projects. Will a local consensus be necessary for the
> migration of any projects, or simply the Wikimedia community-wide consensus
> as demonstrated by a survey on meta? What is the contingency plan for when
> the meta community agrees to the migration, but specific projects have a
> consensus that is strongly in opposition?

If there is ever one area where it's necessary to make a decision that
applies equally for all projects & languages, this, in my opinion, is
it. We do not want to end up in a situation where content from German
can no longer be imported into English, etc. So, I think it makes
sense to propose this as a Wikimedia-wide community referendum. We can
try to address any strong objections from specific communities through
the process of developing the referendum, but at the end of the day,
some communities may be unhappy with the decision (just as some
communities were initially unhappy with the change to a standardized
logo).

I know that some people have expressed legal reservations about _any_
kind of license update or migration, and we will try to address this
in the proposal.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:
> What's the plan for making a final decision? There will probably be
> too many people involved to ever achieve anything close to a
> consensus. Are you planning a referendum?

Yes. Note that the Board resolution on re-licensing specifically
referred to a vote as a decision-making tool.

>> It will be the obligation of re-users to validate whether an article
>> includes CC-BY-SA-only changes -- dual licensing should not
>> be a burden on editors. This is also not intended to be bidirectional,
>> i.e., merging in GFDL-only text will not be possible.

> How will that work? If the terms of service have been modified, how
> does one upload CC-BY-SA only content without agreeing to those terms
> of service?

We'll just have to find a good wording, e.g. one that requires
dual-licensing of CC-BA-SA works contributed by the copyright holder.

> There needs to be some way for re-users to know what
> license things are under, you can't just leave it to them since it's
> impossible for them to find out if it doesn't say anywhere.

Any CC-BY-SA import from an external source requires attribution, so
we may use this as an opportunity to standardize how we want to
attribute externally imported content. However, I think we need to
keep the obligations absolutely minimal: an author should not have to
understand the meaning of dual-licensing in order to be able to import
CC-BY-SA-only content.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
> Any CC-BY-SA import from an external source requires attribution, so
> we may use this as an opportunity to standardize how we want to
> attribute externally imported content.

Sounds like a plan.

> However, I think we need to
> keep the obligations absolutely minimal: an author should not have to
> understand the meaning of dual-licensing in order to be able to import
> CC-BY-SA-only content.

If possible, that would be great, but I'm not sure it will be. The
contributor needs to tell everyone else what license the content is
under (that's a requirement of both CC-BY-SA and GFDL, I think, and is
also required by common sense), that requires a certain level of
understanding.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> * Later this month, we will post a re-licensing proposal for all
> Wikimedia wikis which are currently licensed under the GFDL. It will
> be collaboratively developed on meta.wiki and I will announce it here.
> This re-licensing proposal will include a simplified dual-licensing
> proposition, under which content will continue to be indefinitely
> available under GFDL, except for articles which include CC-BY-SA-only
> additions from external sources. (The terms of service, under this
> proposal, will be modified to require dual-licensing permission
> for any new changes.)
>
> It will be the obligation of re-users to validate whether an article
> includes CC-BY-SA-only changes -- dual licensing should not
> be a burden on editors. This is also not intended to be bidirectional,
> i.e., merging in GFDL-only text will not be possible.

The idea of dual licensing is great. However, CC-BY-SA-only additions
complicate situation a lot:
* Sites which adopts the same policy as Wikipedia would have
significant problems in detecting what is dual licensed and what is
CC-BY-SA-only.
* Sites which stay at GFDL (and a lot of wikis are GFDL just because
of Wikipedia compatibility; while it is fairly possible that they
wouldn't be able to switch from various reasons) would have much more
problems.
* Would any contributor be able to say "my contributions are licensed
just under CC-BY-SA"? (Out of incorporated external works.) If so,
this would make previous two possibilities practically impossible.
Then, it would be much more clear to license content just under
CC-BY-SA.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
> The idea of dual licensing is great. However, CC-BY-SA-only additions
> complicate situation a lot

Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is one of the primary
motivations for re-licensing in the first place.

> * Would any contributor be able to say "my contributions are licensed
> just under CC-BY-SA"? (Out of incorporated external works.)

No.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> 2008/11/3 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
>> The idea of dual licensing is great. However, CC-BY-SA-only additions
>> complicate situation a lot
>
> Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is one of the primary
> motivations for re-licensing in the first place.

I'd say allowing people to re-use our content under CC-BY-SA is the
primary reason. Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is an added
bonus (is there really much out there that we would want to use?
There's some, sure, but I doubt there's enough to be worth the hassle
of relicensing for it).

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:
>> Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is one of the primary
>> motivations for re-licensing in the first place.

> I'd say allowing people to re-use our content under CC-BY-SA is the
> primary reason. Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is an added
> bonus (is there really much out there that we would want to use?
> There's some, sure, but I doubt there's enough to be worth the hassle
> of relicensing for it).

There's lots, and many large projects have chosen to adopt CC-BY-SA as
a standard license:

http://www.eoearth.org/
http://www.eofcosmos.org/
http://eol.org/ (for some content)
http://wikieducator.org/ , e.g. cool stuff like
http://wikieducator.org/Biology_in_elementary_schools
http://en.citizendium.org/

and countless "open learning / open education" projects. Much of it
may be more relevant for Wikibooks / Wikiversity, but there's
nevertheless large amounts of textual content under CC-BY-SA out
there that we may want to use. And that's just the English language
world.

The proposed re-licensing solution is meant to make it frictionless to
get stuff out of WP into these projects and vice versa. Any solution
that doesn't do so misses the point. IMO long-term FDL compatibility
is the "added bonus".

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
For the copyright geeks, I would like to point out that in addition to
the new section 11 there were also substantial changes to section 9
(the termination clauses) in this new version. Other minor changes
includes a "proxy" clause in section 10 and a new definition for
"publisher" in section 1.

-Robert Rohde

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
>> 2008/11/3 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
>>> The idea of dual licensing is great. However, CC-BY-SA-only additions
>>> complicate situation a lot
>>
>> Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is one of the primary
>> motivations for re-licensing in the first place.
>
> I'd say allowing people to re-use our content under CC-BY-SA is the
> primary reason. Being able to import CC-BY-SA content is an added
> bonus (is there really much out there that we would want to use?
> There's some, sure, but I doubt there's enough to be worth the hassle
> of relicensing for it).

I think that the number of CC-BY-SA books is significant enough for
incorporation them into Wikibooks. Wikiversity may profit from
CC-BY-SA, too.

However, counting the fact that some WBs and WVs are CC-BY-SA-only,
wouldn't it be more reasonable to switch those two projects to
CC-BY-SA only and to leave *Wikipedia* as straight dual-licensed?
Generally, Wikipedia content is the most important production place
for encyclopedic work, while other projects are not so. This means
that Wikipedia should be able to give as more as possible, while other
projects should calculate what is the best for them.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
> However, counting the fact that some WBs and WVs are CC-BY-SA-only,
> wouldn't it be more reasonable to switch those two projects to
> CC-BY-SA only and to leave *Wikipedia* as straight dual-licensed?

I think that would be hugely problematic. The goal here is to
eliminate key compatibility barriers, not to perpetuate them.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> * Later this month, we will post a re-licensing proposal for all
> Wikimedia wikis which are currently licensed under the GFDL. It will
> be collaboratively developed on meta.wiki and I will announce it here.
> This re-licensing proposal will include a simplified dual-licensing
> proposition, under which content will continue to be indefinitely
> available under GFDL, except for articles which include CC-BY-SA-only
> additions from external sources. (The terms of service, under this
> proposal, will be modified to require dual-licensing permission
> for any new changes.)

Not remotely acceptable. We accept duel licensing of images because we
already have to carry a significant overhead in terms of juggling
copyright conditions due to other causes. You want to add that
situation to text? That is not a good idea. Duel licenses are at best
a necessary evil. There is no benefit in extending the situation to
text. A clean switchover must be the objective.

> We _will_ propose to continue to permit GFDL 1.2-only media uploads
> for the forseeable future, to address concerns regarding strong and
> weak copyleft, until such concerns are fully resolved to the satisfaction
> of community members

No. We don't need to make the copyright situation more complex in fact
we should be taking the opportunity to simplify it. As part of the
switch over we should be freezeing all uploads of all images not under
directly CC-BY-SA compatible licenses (FAL GFDL 1.2 only GPL LGPL).

FAL and GFDL 1.2 only are not uploaded in large enough amounts that we
cannot absorb the loss.

GPL and LGPL are more of a problem

The strong weak copyright issues is best solved through negotiations
with CC. That said with the migration of wikipedia to CC-BY-SA pretty
much putting CC-BY-SA in the position of the grand unified free
license it is likely that any opposition to a strong copyleft position
will be reduced.

--
geni

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
> Not remotely acceptable. We accept duel licensing of images because we
> already have to carry a significant overhead in terms of juggling
> copyright conditions due to other causes. You want to add that
> situation to text? That is not a good idea. Duel licenses are at best
> a necessary evil. There is no benefit in extending the situation to
> text. A clean switchover must be the objective.

While I tend to agree with you, the FSF has required us to agree to
these compromise dual licensing terms before releasing the FDL 1.3.
This is a separate agreement between the FSF and WMF. We'll proceed to
a referendum under these terms.

I do believe that this dual-licensing compromise should ideally allow
both dual-licensing proponents and dual-licensing opponents to support
the switch. A compromise always will leave everyone somewhat unhappy.
So I hope that neither side will dig their feet in and help us move
forward. We can revisit the dual-licensing situation in a year or two
together with the FSF and see if it still is needed.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> 2008/11/3 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
>> Not remotely acceptable. We accept duel licensing of images because we
>> already have to carry a significant overhead in terms of juggling
>> copyright conditions due to other causes. You want to add that
>> situation to text? That is not a good idea. Duel licenses are at best
>> a necessary evil. There is no benefit in extending the situation to
>> text. A clean switchover must be the objective.
>
> While I tend to agree with you, the FSF has required us to agree to
> these compromise dual licensing terms before releasing the FDL 1.3.
> This is a separate agreement between the FSF and WMF. We'll proceed to
> a referendum under these terms.

I'm not sure it was wise of the WMF to make that kind of commitment
without consulting the community. Allowing an external body to dictate
procedure on Wikimedia projects is a big deal that I expect a large
portion of the community to be very unhappy with. There may not really
have been an alternative if FSF weren't willing to budge (public
pressure might have helped there - if there were NDAs then the mistake
was in signing them), but the community should still have been
consulted.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure it was wise of the WMF to make that kind of commitment
> without consulting the community. Allowing an external body to dictate
> procedure on Wikimedia projects is a big deal that I expect a large
> portion of the community to be very unhappy with.

We've already made a commitment that the entire decision will be
validated by means of referendum. To a certain extent, you'll have to
trust WMF to negotiate on your behalf. We think that this proposal
should and will reflect an acceptable compromise; if you don't agree,
please tell us why now.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> FAL and GFDL 1.2 only are not uploaded in large enough amounts that we
> cannot absorb the loss.
>
> GPL and LGPL are more of a problem

</snip>

On Commons, counting how many times each template is used.

GFDL 1.2: 9000
GPL: 14000
LGPL: 7000
FAL: 17000

I'm not sure your instincts that FAL and GFDL-1.2 are easier to deal
with are necessarily correct.

-Robert Rohde

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> 2008/11/3 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
> While I tend to agree with you, the FSF has required us to agree to
> these compromise dual licensing terms before releasing the FDL 1.3.
> This is a separate agreement between the FSF and WMF. We'll proceed to
> a referendum under these terms.

What are the terms of the agreement? There are various ways of
implementing duel licensing and I would like to know which ones are
legit.

--
geni

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
> What are the terms of the agreement? There are various ways of
> implementing duel licensing and I would like to know which ones are
> legit.

[begin quote from Richard]
* ALL contributors agree to the following:

Wikipedia can release their newly written text
under both GFDL and CC-BY-SA in parallel.
However, if they imported any external material
that's available under CC-BY-SA and not under GFDL,
Wikipedia is bound by that.

* All old revisions are released under GFDL | CC-BY-SA.

* All new revisions are released with this license statement:

This page is released under CC-BY-SA.
Depending on its editing history, it MAY also be available under
the GFDL; see [link] for how to determine that.
[end quote from Richard]

This is not set in stone; we can modify some aspects of it in
consultation with FSF as long as the overall spirit remains intact.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> FAL and GFDL 1.2 only are not uploaded in large enough amounts that we
>> cannot absorb the loss.
>>
>> GPL and LGPL are more of a problem
>
> </snip>
>
> On Commons, counting how many times each template is used.
>
> GFDL 1.2: 9000
> GPL: 14000
> LGPL: 7000
> FAL: 17000
>
> I'm not sure your instincts that FAL and GFDL-1.2 are easier to deal
> with are necessarily correct.
>
> -Robert Rohde

Mostly the class of images they cover. GPL and LGPL includes a lot of
screenshots which are likely to be impossible to replace.

Yes loss of FAL and GFDL 1.2 would hurt but most of it can be replaced.

CeCILL I'm not to sure about.

--
geni

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> 2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:
>> I'm not sure it was wise of the WMF to make that kind of commitment
>> without consulting the community. Allowing an external body to dictate
>> procedure on Wikimedia projects is a big deal that I expect a large
>> portion of the community to be very unhappy with.
>
> We've already made a commitment that the entire decision will be
> validated by means of referendum. To a certain extent, you'll have to
> trust WMF to negotiate on your behalf. We think that this proposal
> should and will reflect an acceptable compromise; if you don't agree,
> please tell us why now.

When negotiating on someone's behalf there are generally bounds to
what you can and can't agree to. Obviously there were no explicit
decisions on what those bounds were, but I'm not sure such an
agreement was within what the community would consider reasonable
bounds (although maybe it's just me, we'll see). While there will be a
referendum, you have significantly restricted our options. The fact
that the WMF didn't even attempt to apply public pressure to the FSF
suggests to me that you didn't do a very good job of negotiating on
our behalf. It's too late now, though, I guess, so we'll just have to
settle for your compromise.

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Robert Rohde wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> FAL and GFDL 1.2 only are not uploaded in large enough amounts that we
>> cannot absorb the loss.
>>
>> GPL and LGPL are more of a problem
>
> </snip>
>
> On Commons, counting how many times each template is used.
>
> GFDL 1.2: 9000
> GPL: 14000
> LGPL: 7000
> FAL: 17000
>
> I'm not sure your instincts that FAL and GFDL-1.2 are easier to deal
> with are necessarily correct.

Does that include images dual-licensed under CC licenses? The
dual-license template just includes both license templates in a fancy
wrapper.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Re: GFDL 1.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Alex <mrzmanwiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Rohde wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> FAL and GFDL 1.2 only are not uploaded in large enough amounts that we
>>> cannot absorb the loss.
>>>
>>> GPL and LGPL are more of a problem
>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> On Commons, counting how many times each template is used.
>>
>> GFDL 1.2: 9000
>> GPL: 14000
>> LGPL: 7000
>> FAL: 17000
>>
>> I'm not sure your instincts that FAL and GFDL-1.2 are easier to deal
>> with are necessarily correct.
>>

> Does that include images dual-licensed under CC licenses? The
> dual-license template just includes both license templates in a fancy
> wrapper.

Yes. My approach was very low tech, just counting what links here
from the template. No effort to sort dual licensing or anything else
fancy.

-Robert Rohde