Mailing List Archive

Twin Chapters / Sister Chapters
It occurs to me that a good way to share experiences among chapters
community-to-community might be though a semi-formal "twin chapters" /
"sister chapters" program, analogous to the "twin towns" / "sister
cities" programs among world urban centers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_twinning

There appears to me to be a benefit to a deep conversation between two
chapters that can't be fully reached by a broader, shallower
conversation among all chapters simultaneously (such as takes place in
meta). Of course, the broader conversation still has a very important
place.

It would be great if we could boost the organization of more Wikipedia
Academy-type events in this way, for example, where one chapter can
copy another's successes and learn from its experiences.

Who wants to join up? As an organizer of the as-yet-unofficial
Wikimedia New York City, I'd look forward to seeing chapter-to-chapter
contacts blossom in this way, and hope others would wish to join us in
conversation.

Thanks,
Pharos

Re: Twin Chapters / Sister Chapters [ In reply to ]
Pharos wrote:
> It occurs to me that a good way to share experiences among chapters
> community-to-community might be though a semi-formal "twin chapters" /
> "sister chapters" program, analogous to the "twin towns" / "sister
> cities" programs among world urban centers.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_twinning
>
> There appears to me to be a benefit to a deep conversation between two
> chapters that can't be fully reached by a broader, shallower
> conversation among all chapters simultaneously (such as takes place in
> meta). Of course, the broader conversation still has a very important
> place.
>
> It would be great if we could boost the organization of more Wikipedia
> Academy-type events in this way, for example, where one chapter can
> copy another's successes and learn from its experiences.
>
> Who wants to join up? As an organizer of the as-yet-unofficial
> Wikimedia New York City, I'd look forward to seeing chapter-to-chapter
> contacts blossom in this way, and hope others would wish to join us in
> conversation.
>
> Thanks,
> Pharos

Eh, that's a good idea !

Main limitations will be physical distance (and therefore, lack of
physical contacts). But I really like the idea.

Ant

Re: Twin Chapters / Sister Chapters [ In reply to ]
Pharos wrote:
> It occurs to me that a good way to share experiences among chapters
> community-to-community might be though a semi-formal "twin chapters" /
> "sister chapters" program, analogous to the "twin towns" / "sister
> cities" programs among world urban centers.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_twinning
>
> There appears to me to be a benefit to a deep conversation between two
> chapters that can't be fully reached by a broader, shallower
> conversation among all chapters simultaneously (such as takes place in
> meta). Of course, the broader conversation still has a very important
> place.
>
> It would be great if we could boost the organization of more Wikipedia
> Academy-type events in this way, for example, where one chapter can
> copy another's successes and learn from its experiences.
>
> Who wants to join up? As an organizer of the as-yet-unofficial
> Wikimedia New York City, I'd look forward to seeing chapter-to-chapter
> contacts blossom in this way, and hope others would wish to join us in
> conversation.
>
> Thanks,
> Pharos

I fully agree with Florence. This is really a very good idea.

Ting

Re: Twin Chapters / Sister Chapters [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp@gmx.de> wrote:
> I fully agree with Florence. This is really a very good idea.

Following :)